Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yeovil 12:29 - Aug 14 with 783 viewsLeadbelly

I'm still in cricket mode at the moment so I'd completely forgotten we are playing at Yeovil tonight.

First proper outing for Ward's new line up. I've not seen any pre-season games so really have no idea what to expect.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Yeovil on 14:51 - Aug 14 with 776 viewsnoah4x4

Yeovil have tended to be a bogey side of late, but having seen the U's play Heybridge, West Ham, Derby and Ipswich, I am in a confident mode for tonight - provided John Ward plays our best side.

But unfortunately, Ben Coker is injured, so that probably means Rose at left back. It strikes me that's our only problem position (unless John White is used on the left). Even Joe Dunne was screaming at Rose against Derby, so the management do seem to share the fans concern to some extent.

Hopefully, Sears, Morrison, Henderson and Woody will cause enough mayhem up front to keep Yeovil on the back foot - and Wright and Gilbey have impressed too - with a solid defensive rear midfield in Bean and/or O'Toole and/or Bond (not sure how Kem Izzit fits - unless we have an injury). Hope we line up in a diamond formation - with Sears given a Rooney style free role behind Morrison.

With this potential attacking line up, we really don't need Rose (or Coker) venturing too far forward and repeatedly getting caught out of position. We have long been too vulnerable down that flank, and we need to put in a tackle outside of the box, and not rely on Eastman to make desperate cover tackles hence leaving his striker unmarked in the middle.

So in summary, I think the U's now have goals aplenty in attack (much better than Odejayi era) - but one lapse in defence........

Yeovil on 17:59 - Aug 14 with 763 viewsbwildered

Hope Cousins can organise the defence better, has the defenders are the same has last year, which still makes us look leaky at the back .Need to be positive has game go into pens AET.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Yeovil on 19:46 - Aug 14 with 755 viewsdurham_exile

Yeovil on 14:51 - Aug 14 by noah4x4

Yeovil have tended to be a bogey side of late, but having seen the U's play Heybridge, West Ham, Derby and Ipswich, I am in a confident mode for tonight - provided John Ward plays our best side.

But unfortunately, Ben Coker is injured, so that probably means Rose at left back. It strikes me that's our only problem position (unless John White is used on the left). Even Joe Dunne was screaming at Rose against Derby, so the management do seem to share the fans concern to some extent.

Hopefully, Sears, Morrison, Henderson and Woody will cause enough mayhem up front to keep Yeovil on the back foot - and Wright and Gilbey have impressed too - with a solid defensive rear midfield in Bean and/or O'Toole and/or Bond (not sure how Kem Izzit fits - unless we have an injury). Hope we line up in a diamond formation - with Sears given a Rooney style free role behind Morrison.

With this potential attacking line up, we really don't need Rose (or Coker) venturing too far forward and repeatedly getting caught out of position. We have long been too vulnerable down that flank, and we need to put in a tackle outside of the box, and not rely on Eastman to make desperate cover tackles hence leaving his striker unmarked in the middle.

So in summary, I think the U's now have goals aplenty in attack (much better than Odejayi era) - but one lapse in defence........

I watched the entertaining 2-2 draw against the Rams.

I too share Noah's fear about Rose

Anway JW

lines up Col U tonight as follows;

Cousins

Wilson Eastman Magnus Rose

Bond Izzet Woody

Henderson Morrison Wright

Subs:

Pentney Heath Doogie O'Toole Bean White Gilbey

Freddie Sears rested for PNE on saturday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Yeovil on 22:04 - Aug 14 with 731 viewsBFG

Can't draw anything into the result of an away, first game cup match.

Bit nervous mind
Yeovil on 23:03 - Aug 14 with 719 viewsnoah4x4

No Sears, no Bean, no O'Toole until 79th minute and Rose at full back (Aaaarrrggghhhhh!) - suggests John Ward is disinterested in this competition.

Who went to the game - were we vulnerable down our left flank?

Rose caught out of position.............again?

My guess is yes. Maybe Tom Aldred (or John White) can do a job if Coker is injured?

Yeovil on 23:11 - Aug 14 with 716 viewsdurham_exile

Yeovil on 23:03 - Aug 14 by noah4x4

No Sears, no Bean, no O'Toole until 79th minute and Rose at full back (Aaaarrrggghhhhh!) - suggests John Ward is disinterested in this competition.

Who went to the game - were we vulnerable down our left flank?

Rose caught out of position.............again?

My guess is yes. Maybe Tom Aldred (or John White) can do a job if Coker is injured?

Disinterested or not losing 3-0 to a mid table outfit like Yeovil is very disappointing.

PNE will have their tails up after Monday night so we need to look extra sharp on saturday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Yeovil on 09:31 - Aug 15 with 702 viewsLeadbelly

Sears was not rested. He was left out dues to personal reasons.

Yeovil on 12:57 - Aug 15 with 684 viewsLeadbelly

Having now read a number of press reports of the game and fan's comments it seems it's "same old, same old".

JW disappointed in a lacklustre, disjointed display
JW unable to explain the above
Izzet played ahead of arguably better players and unable to pass or tackle
Sloppy defending results in goals
Opposition had more possession and used it more effectively

Worrying enough, but I've also seen comments that Morrison looked lazy and disinterested, along the lines of Sheff Weds fans last season.

Obviously Ward would have played Sears had he not had personal issues (I do not make light of this) but apart from that one assumes this was his first choice line up.

We need a target man and the best players on the pitch.

Preston will be a tough game but I shall be very interested to see how we play against a Portsmouth Youth VII (if they have that many) A poor performance next Tuesday night and "Ward Out" will be heard.

Login to get fewer ads

Yeovil on 17:15 - Aug 15 with 665 viewsdurham_exile

Yeovil on 12:57 - Aug 15 by Leadbelly

Having now read a number of press reports of the game and fan's comments it seems it's "same old, same old".

JW disappointed in a lacklustre, disjointed display
JW unable to explain the above
Izzet played ahead of arguably better players and unable to pass or tackle
Sloppy defending results in goals
Opposition had more possession and used it more effectively

Worrying enough, but I've also seen comments that Morrison looked lazy and disinterested, along the lines of Sheff Weds fans last season.

Obviously Ward would have played Sears had he not had personal issues (I do not make light of this) but apart from that one assumes this was his first choice line up.

We need a target man and the best players on the pitch.

Preston will be a tough game but I shall be very interested to see how we play against a Portsmouth Youth VII (if they have that many) A poor performance next Tuesday night and "Ward Out" will be heard.

Leadbelly

Team was:

Cousins

Wilson Eastman Magnus Rose

Bond Izzet Woody

Henderson Morrison Wright

The suggestion was 4-3-3 but JW lined up 4-5-1
Second half went 4-4-2 but damage was done by then.

Yeovil report suggested that the score could have been 5-3.

Like you I am disappointed at the scoreline. I saw Morrison play against Derby and he definitely wanted to play for the U's.

In view of the fact that Sears was out with family issues why didn't Ladapo partner Clinton up front.

Nothing wrong with the team generally but Rose and Izzet are weak links. However with Coker injured JW had little option. Izzet is captain and so no change there.

I would expect to see the following at Preston:

Cousins

Wilson Magnus Eastman Coker

Bond O'Toole Bean Woody (Izzet probably plays instead though)

Sears (or Hendo) Morrison

The disappointment was not only the result against Yeovil (who have now beaten us convincingly on the last three visits to Huish Park) but also the lack of fight. JW isolated Morrison up front (just like last season).

Having witnessed a brighter U's performance and 4-4-2 against Derby I don't know why he becomes so negative.

Yeovil have their reward home to West Brom in round 2.

I will know more after watching the U's at Deepdale on saturday

In the meantime a bit early for chants of Ward out.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Yeovil on 07:39 - Aug 16 with 640 viewsthrillseeker

The only 2 players to come out of match with any credit were

Drey Wright and sorry to disappoint some of the earlier posters but Ken Izzet

Once Wright was subbed it felt like the team/ management had settled for defeat.

The worst players I saw were Bond, Rose and Eastman

I felt sorry for Morrison who was completely alienated with our bizarre system.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024