Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The forgotten man moves to Bristol on loan! 14:16 - Dec 31 with 471 viewsdurham_exile

Very disappointed to hear that John Joe O'Toole has moved to the Gas on loan.

He has played 50 games for Colchester since his original loan deal of which 20 have been from the subs bench. Plagued with injury and yet I really rate him as a footballer.

Do we really have such a wealth of midfield talent that we can afford to loan such a player.

Good luck and enjoy your loan spell with JW.

Now Izale McCleod has been released by Pompey, can we snap him up as another much needed striker.

Has Jack Compton yet signed?

Up the U's

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Durham_exile

The forgotten man moves to Bristol on loan! on 16:03 - Dec 31 with 453 viewsDaniel

It's a revolving door, as O'Toole leaves on loan, George Porter has come in on loan from Burnley.

Compton had already signed before Christmas.
The forgotten man moves to Bristol on loan! on 18:28 - Dec 31 with 436 viewsnoah4x4

Durham, I like J J O'Toole too. However, he hasn't looked great in the reserves - e.g. in U21 (overage) or Essex League Cup etc. Looks a bit short on fitness/stamina - even if his heart and commitment is fine. I think he does need to get some full competitive games under his belt, so this is probably a good move. Now consider loan activity already in this transfer window;

Compton = winger = fast.
Porter = playmaker = fast.
Relacing;
Watt = winger (absent) = fast.
Eastmond = playmaker (absent) = fast.

Jabo is back, Massey is back. Now add the youth/pace of Potts and Thompson (who sadly didn't serve his supension Saturday). Joe Dunne made nine ENFORCED changes against Brentford compared to our last winning ine up (Bury). To me, these new signings are starting to have a familar ring to things (e.g. a bit like Joe Dunne's first month). I have twice heard Joe Dunne say "our best form of defence is attack". The team regularly sat back during the John Ward era with a variety of defensive line ups that ALL leaked goals. Frankly, we are never going to sign utterly dependable defenders (like John Terry or Vincent Kompany), so I agree with Joe, we MUST put far more pressure on opposition defences and keep the ball in their half.

I hence disagree with those that say that it is our defence that currently needs the most attention. Some recent back four line ups were keeping clean sheets under Joe before our (loanee) injury woes and similar. The wheels have simply come off because Joe has persisted with a fluent passing style of play that the former squad can't handle. Then U's defences have then simply been overwhelmed by opposition attackers after we have both lost possession and/or failed to remotely threaten their goal. We need some pace/menace again out wide and in midfield (e.g. not Woody, Bond and maybe not even Sears!); mixed with a bit of bite (Bean and/or Izzet). Let's also not forget the impressive full debut of Drey Wright as we wave 'bye bye' to our midfield has beens. I think we shall soon see Ibrehre dominating the opposition 18 yard box once again and the U's tormenting full backs.

Looking forward to a trip to Crawley tomoz - even though it's probably going to be an old guard performance until we get to Doncaster.

Happy New Year to All!

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
The forgotten man moves to Bristol on loan! on 21:06 - Dec 31 with 425 viewswessex_exile

Though JJ is definitely a good squad player, I don't see him as a first choice midfielder, and (it has to be said) I find him somewhat over-rated compared to the hero worship he seems to attract from some sectors of the fan base. It doesn't surprise me that John Ward has taken him for a months loan, maybe it'll be the making of him dropping down a league, and perhaps sharpening up his game a bit. Certainly a useful deal for Col U I'd say.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The forgotten man moves to Bristol on loan! on 10:08 - Jan 1 with 405 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I'm not that surprised to see O'Toole go out on loan, I think he needs to play and he's not doing that here right now. Like Magnus he seems to be struggling to reach the level of performance he showed a couple of seasons ago.

Is Ibehre back? I thought his loan was up and that he wasn't signing a permanent deal with us.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

The forgotten man moves to Bristol on loan! on 12:06 - Jan 2 with 367 viewsLeadbelly

Like Wessex I fail to understand the hero worship of O'Toole. Distinctly average player in my view. Perhaps it's because he has a good song!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

The forgotten man moves to Bristol on loan! on 19:09 - Jan 2 with 344 viewsFruitbat

The forgotten man moves to Bristol on loan! on 12:06 - Jan 2 by Leadbelly

Like Wessex I fail to understand the hero worship of O'Toole. Distinctly average player in my view. Perhaps it's because he has a good song!

ditto that. a player i thought might well have left last summer. arrived with some hype but never really lived up to it (how many do?). injuries probably didn' t help.

is he our sole remainig hoofroyd signing?
The forgotten man moves to Bristol on loan! on 06:58 - Jan 23 with 258 viewsdurham_exile

JD - don't forget about JJ O'Toole, loaning him to the Gas is ok, but he remains a Col U player and we will want him back.

Also note that with regular football he is gaining plaudits and also finding the net!

In order to get out of this mess we want players committed to Col U and O'Toole has always wanted to play football.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024