Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday 12:46 - Feb 5 with 938 viewsdurham_exile

After seemingly endless inactivity football wise since the outstanding win at Brunton Park on 18 January, JD and his charges will entertain the Millers at the WHCS on Saturday.

Now this will be an intriguing match against a team that has just defeated the “mighty” Orient in a closely fought contest. Managed by the larger than life Steve Evans Rotherham has emerged as realistic play off contenders.

U’s fans will remember the epic 2-2 draw at the New York Stadium back in November where a 95th minute equaliser from Elliot Lee (his only senior goal) earned Colchester a deserved point after a resilient second half performance. The in form Marcus Bean scored the U’s opener and is champing at the bit to repeat the performance.

Now the recent run of consistent good form, which has seen the U’s take 13 from the last 18 points, will have galvanised the team and combined with the return from injury of the outstanding Sanchez Watt and a possible return to the team for Messrs Sears and Massey on Saturday, the U’s are in good shape.

A look at the table and the U’s are 14th with 34 points from 26 matches. The recent imposed rest has meant that we now have up to 3 games in hand over our rivals and more importunately recent results have very much gone our way. Without getting too carried away, if we can secure another 40 points from the remaining 20 games, then this should be enough for a top 6 place and the play offs.

The loss of loanee Luke Garbutt is reduced by the return to the team of Ryan Dickson. The injury to Oviedo of Everton has forced the Toffees to bring Garbutt back as cover for Baines. Ironically Baines has endured a couple of poor games and I wouldn’t be surprised if the talented youngster gets an early outing in the first team and deservedly so.

Back to Colchester and JD selection assuming that the WHCS pitch is fit for Saturday will be boosted by an ability to pick a strong team. Col U now only has long term absentees Josh Thompson and Drey Wright on the sidelines.

This is probably just as well because we have 20 league games to play in 84 days and then another two games before the Play Off Final on 25 May!

Fitness will be the key and let us hope that the enforced rest has allowed the players to recharge their batteries for the important run in ahead:

I would imagine JD will consider something along the following lines in a 4,2,3,1 formation:

Walker

Wilson Magnus Eastman Dickson

Eastmond Bean

Vose Sears Watt

Ibehre

Subs:

Cousins, Olufemi, Sesay, Wright (David), Gilbey, Massey, Morrison

Dividing the 20 league games into bite size chunks suggests that the challenge will be tough but not insurmountable.

Our next 6 games are:

Rotherham H
Port Vale A
Swindon A
PNE H
Sheff Utd H
Orient A

Results in these matches will determine whether we have a realistic chance of the top six because 5 of these 6 teams also harbour play off aspirations. The sixth, Sheffield United, although in the relegation zone, have probably been distracted by their excellent FA Cup form. We will learn this evening whether PNE will also reach the 5th Round of the FA Cup where ironically they would play the Blades for a place in the Quarter Finals.

Then:

Coventry H
Bradford H
Crawley A
Shrewsbury H
Bristol City H
Wolves A

Then:

Notts C A
Peterbore A
Tranmere H
Stevenage A
Oldham H

Then:

Crewe A
Brentford H
Walsall A

This weekend against the Millers will allow the U’s to showcase their skills and ability to reach the top six. It will be a difficult game but one which is eminently winnable.

Let us hope for a larger crowd at the WHCS and a successful result to keep this promising run going.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 13:18 - Feb 5 with 916 viewsLeadbelly

Mud there will be aplenty but with the Met Office forecasting some rain today followed by 24 hours non stop rain from midday tomorrow until midday Friday, with yet more rain on Saturday, there may not be anyone running around on it.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 19:38 - Feb 5 with 873 viewswessex_exile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 13:18 - Feb 5 by Leadbelly

Mud there will be aplenty but with the Met Office forecasting some rain today followed by 24 hours non stop rain from midday tomorrow until midday Friday, with yet more rain on Saturday, there may not be anyone running around on it.

There comes a point where allowing the players some rest and letting the pitch recover becomes losing match fitness and impending fixture congestion - I think we're getting close...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 13:49 - Feb 6 with 826 viewsBluenWightExile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 19:38 - Feb 5 by wessex_exile

There comes a point where allowing the players some rest and letting the pitch recover becomes losing match fitness and impending fixture congestion - I think we're getting close...

Absolutely right Wessex.
I think they need to play now they are experiencing some form.
This inactivity could be very unhelpful and if the rain that has fallen here since last night is what falls on Cuckoo Farm today and tomorrow there is precisely zero chance of football in southern England - anywhere.

Pinault-noir

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 17:21 - Feb 6 with 803 viewsFruitbat

Given the monsoon i've just driven through i suspect another weekend off. This is starting too feel like the off-season!
Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 18:03 - Feb 6 with 795 viewsbwildered

Could have borrowed my tarpalling cover if they asked, but the U's have purchased some new waterproof covers. To late for the weekend ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 19:26 - Feb 6 with 781 viewswessex_exile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 18:03 - Feb 6 by bwildered

Could have borrowed my tarpalling cover if they asked, but the U's have purchased some new waterproof covers. To late for the weekend ?

Catch 22 with tarps - anything that lies on the ground is going to prevent any chance of evaporation drying out the surface (yeah right), and I'd reckon the rain will still get under in patches anyway, it always does...

Up the U's

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 22:19 - Feb 6 with 746 viewsdurham_exile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 19:26 - Feb 6 by wessex_exile

Catch 22 with tarps - anything that lies on the ground is going to prevent any chance of evaporation drying out the surface (yeah right), and I'd reckon the rain will still get under in patches anyway, it always does...

Didn't we borrow Essex CCC covers a few years ago, we could use them again and they would cover key parts of the pitch dry whilst allowing air to circulate to avoid condensation to form.

Have a sneak feeling that Saturday's game will go ahead.

Up the U's

PS I see John Ward has captured Sick note (aka Stevie G) on a free transfer

[Post edited 6 Feb 2014 22:22]

Durham_exile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 13:58 - Feb 7 with 678 viewsLeadbelly

Pitch inspection tomorrow at 08.30. I've been up north for a couple of days, with just a brief shower of rain last night. What has it been doing in Colchester?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Login to get fewer ads

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 14:08 - Feb 7 with 673 viewsdurham_exile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 13:58 - Feb 7 by Leadbelly

Pitch inspection tomorrow at 08.30. I've been up north for a couple of days, with just a brief shower of rain last night. What has it been doing in Colchester?

I ventured as far south as Preston yesterday, weather in Durham has been sunshine and a very few showers for the past two days!

Despite dire warnings in the Colchester area, the covers are on the WHCS and it is hoped the precious playing surface will be ok. Likely to take a stud though!

Should be a great game and one which will go a long way to determining our play off ambitions.

Shame I can't be there but look forward to the result on saturday evening!

Up the rejuvenated U's

Durham_exile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 14:16 - Feb 7 with 668 viewsthrillseeker

I fear the worst - think it will be a P-P on Full Time results
Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 00:03 - Feb 8 with 607 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 14:16 - Feb 7 by thrillseeker

I fear the worst - think it will be a P-P on Full Time results

I agree. I can't see it going ahead unless Robbie has bought a massive roll of kitchen towel.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 06:00 - Feb 8 with 599 viewsdurham_exile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 00:03 - Feb 8 by RSCOSWORTH

I agree. I can't see it going ahead unless Robbie has bought a massive roll of kitchen towel.

BBC Weather - Saturday!

Mainly dry with some decent spells of sunshine through this morning. A greater risk of showers for this afternoon, and some of these are likely to be heavy with a risk of thunder. Windy, particularly so near showers.

Tonight
Very windy through the evening and night with further showers likely, again some of these likely to be heavy. Temperatures remaining a few degrees above freezing.

Match could start, but may not finish!

As JD says we need a game.

20 games in 84 days, already a punishing schedule, let us trust to the WHCS ground staff and bring on three more valuable points.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 09:18 - Feb 8 with 570 viewswessex_exile

Game off

Up the U's

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 09:48 - Feb 8 with 561 viewsdurham_exile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 09:18 - Feb 8 by wessex_exile

Game off

Could we please have some more details - pitch waterlogged just doesn't cut the mustard!

When Brunton park has a waterlogged pitch half the playing surface is under flood water.

The WHCS seems to be subject to drainage problems, so are the goal mouths standing in water, are the wings sodden.

Also:
How much standing water is there?
Is there any grass at all?
How much mud is there?
Is anything being drained away?
Do we have any pumps?
Have the covers helped or hindered?
Can we borrow Essex CCC covers again?

The truth is out there!

Can the season be extended?

Up the rejuvenated but waterlogged U's

Durham_exile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 09:51 - Feb 8 with 557 viewswessex_exile

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 09:48 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

Could we please have some more details - pitch waterlogged just doesn't cut the mustard!

When Brunton park has a waterlogged pitch half the playing surface is under flood water.

The WHCS seems to be subject to drainage problems, so are the goal mouths standing in water, are the wings sodden.

Also:
How much standing water is there?
Is there any grass at all?
How much mud is there?
Is anything being drained away?
Do we have any pumps?
Have the covers helped or hindered?
Can we borrow Essex CCC covers again?

The truth is out there!

Can the season be extended?

Up the rejuvenated but waterlogged U's

I think the final comment on the OWS announcement says it all...

"By way of reference, the local area has now had - not including Saturday's rain - 257mm of rain in December, January and the first seven days of February. The normal average rain levels for the area over the last 30 years for the whole of December/January/February is 154mm"

Up the U's

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 16:06 - Feb 8 with 523 viewsBarsidepete

Millers to be ground into the mud on saturday on 13:49 - Feb 6 by BluenWightExile

Absolutely right Wessex.
I think they need to play now they are experiencing some form.
This inactivity could be very unhelpful and if the rain that has fallen here since last night is what falls on Cuckoo Farm today and tomorrow there is precisely zero chance of football in southern England - anywhere.

We're at the point point where calling it a Clusterf*xture list would be too kind.

Have already been 'gifted' that additional fixture, Tuesday makeup tie v Shrews to my, erm, March hols,.. Enough already please

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024