Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View 21:15 - Feb 21 with 1361 viewsnoah4x4

To everybody’s surprise, including (I suspect) the Robin’s manager Steve Cotterill, Tony Humes lined up the U’s 4-4-2 with Chris Porter and Macca Bonne leading the line. The justification came quickly and the South Stand was soon delirious as one goal on two minutes became two on thirteen; then three by twenty six minutes. This same pattern might have earlier been repeated at Valley Parade; or Bramall Lane or Boundary Park where just as many very early chances fell to us. But this time we took them all decisively. It is quality in the final third that wins matches and today we had that for 30 minutes; suffice to deserve the three points.

In another thread I reported that Bonne had put in an awesome shift on Thursday against QPR U21’s and if that won him his starting berth today it was totally vindicated. His and Chris Porter’s aerial presence; coupled with the accuracy of Hewitt and Clohessy’s crosses; and Massey’s footwork caused repeated panic in the league leaders defence. Three nil and with the U’s seemingly cruising; the game did have a déjà vu of that wonderful day at Carrow Road in August 2009. But on 31 minutes; cunning visiting manager Cotterill made his first defensive change as Ayling made way for Little to deal with this perhaps unexpected attacking threat. Thereafter, the Robin’s largely had the measure of our 4-4-2; and U's chances became ever fewer; but thankfully not before we had already thrice penetrated their net. One should perhaps reflect here that we could never have played with these tactics with 5’ 7” Freddie Sears leading the line.

The U’s huffed and puffed for the next quarter; and were probably grateful to reach the interval without conceding; but by then the ‘blue and white mist’ had descended over the stands that were chanting ‘4-4-2 in a “told you so” type of manner. Fair enough, they did have a point today as it had worked. But frankly, after the interval, I would have switched to a more defensive line up 4-5-1; especially after (first) the very dangerous and more direct Keiron Agard came on for Emmanuel Thomas; then (second) a fluke cross found our net to give the visitors a tiny foothold; then (third) Flint rose highest to score a magnificent header to make it 3-2. Here is the potential weakness of 4-4-2; easily exposed by powerful forwards running after chipped high balls delivered into the ‘channels’. By making the midfield deeper (e.g. five; with three largely defensive in front of a back four) then more expansive (longer) balls are required that are more easy to defend (off side trap etc); but the visitors took control. A further tactical throw of the visitor’s dice was inevitable and bully boy top scorer Wilbraham replaced Smith on 63' and the Hoofroyd style long ball took precedence.

Here we go again I thought; this could be Sheffield United (at home) all over again. How on earth are we going to hang on given the inevitable howitzer like bombardment that will now last for a full 30 minutes? Shaun Clohessy must have felt like Chicken Licken (with the ‘sky falling on his head’) as high ball after high ball was pumped in his direction; that is if he wasn’t already dazed by Wilbraham’s clumsy elbows (that felled other U's players, but the referee saw zilch). We suddenly looked very fragile at the back and the South Stand’s holding of breath might have been more productive if we had instead blowed in unison to thrust the ball out of our 18 yard box where it was trying to take up residence. But we at least had the initiative and might have extended our advantage on the counter attack. But we were under the cosh.

Frankly, if Bristol City had equalised (3-3); we perhaps could have had few complaints. But we held out for a magnificent victory on a day where other results assisted us; (for example) the Blades were down to ten men after ten minutes; 2-0 goals down after fifteen; then make a comeback to 2-2 to allow us to overtake Coventry. Bristol City FC is not top of the Division for no reason. Let’s praise Tony Hume’s for his adventure; but also let’s not run away with the thought that 4-4-2 is the future panacea to resolve all our problems. It did bring us victory in the first half; but might equally have produced disaster in the second. But with the personnel we now have available (Bonne and Porter) this is maybe the alternative game ‘Plan B’ that we have for so long lacked.
U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View on 22:49 - Feb 21 with 1308 viewsgerry_us

Thanks for your insight in what was obviously a gutsy and welcome performance.
I was totally surprised but delighted that he gave Bonne a place from the start. How he came to that decision we may never know although I have been wanting to see him in the side after seeing a few cameos on the road last season. As he has played virtually no part this season TH must have had a premonition or some other input to name him in his line-up.
The team is beginning to become a majority of the young-one's coming through and this can only give us confidence for the future be it in this division (probably) or unlikely, Div 2.
I'm expecting a glut of points over the next few weeks as I will be out of the country and far far away. It normally works.
U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View on 14:52 - Feb 23 with 850 viewsburnsieespana

U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View on 22:49 - Feb 21 by gerry_us

Thanks for your insight in what was obviously a gutsy and welcome performance.
I was totally surprised but delighted that he gave Bonne a place from the start. How he came to that decision we may never know although I have been wanting to see him in the side after seeing a few cameos on the road last season. As he has played virtually no part this season TH must have had a premonition or some other input to name him in his line-up.
The team is beginning to become a majority of the young-one's coming through and this can only give us confidence for the future be it in this division (probably) or unlikely, Div 2.
I'm expecting a glut of points over the next few weeks as I will be out of the country and far far away. It normally works.

Again thanks for that report Noah.
At the weekend I was visiting family in Edinburgh and could not believe the score when shown it on 40 mins!
I was watching a Scottish Cup Replay Game at Bonnyrigg Rose, standard about Conference South and those of you who are as old as me will recall Johny Fowler signed for us from this club in the 50's. In this gane the home team, Bonnyrigg went one up 10 mins before halftime but finally lost in the seconf minute of added time bvut a good old fashioned type of game.
U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View on 16:14 - Feb 23 with 836 viewsgerry_us

U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View on 14:52 - Feb 23 by burnsieespana

Again thanks for that report Noah.
At the weekend I was visiting family in Edinburgh and could not believe the score when shown it on 40 mins!
I was watching a Scottish Cup Replay Game at Bonnyrigg Rose, standard about Conference South and those of you who are as old as me will recall Johny Fowler signed for us from this club in the 50's. In this gane the home team, Bonnyrigg went one up 10 mins before halftime but finally lost in the seconf minute of added time bvut a good old fashioned type of game.

Wow. Fowler and Fisher, two of the most non compromising full backs that have ever graced the blue and white stripes.
U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View on 17:50 - Feb 23 with 824 viewsgerry_us

Little; sorry, nothing has been said about Bristol's first goal..so I will. Absolutely poor goalkeeping and I understand he was "man of the match". Are all U's fans blinkered?
I'm ready for the flack.
U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View on 20:15 - Feb 23 with 809 viewsRSCOSWORTH

U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View on 17:50 - Feb 23 by gerry_us

Little; sorry, nothing has been said about Bristol's first goal..so I will. Absolutely poor goalkeeping and I understand he was "man of the match". Are all U's fans blinkered?
I'm ready for the flack.

It was a freak goal, simple as that. Sam would've needed to be standing virtually under the bar to save it. David Seaman conceded a few of them throughout his career but I guess he wasn't any good either.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View on 22:44 - Feb 23 with 786 viewspwrightsknees

U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View on 20:15 - Feb 23 by RSCOSWORTH

It was a freak goal, simple as that. Sam would've needed to be standing virtually under the bar to save it. David Seaman conceded a few of them throughout his career but I guess he wasn't any good either.

I'll be honest, I let one in just like that many years ago in a Sunday League match. But I didn't let it get me down because we were losing 4-0 at the time, anyway!
U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View on 09:15 - Feb 24 with 762 viewswessex_exile

U's 3 - 2 Bristol City - Noah's View on 20:15 - Feb 23 by RSCOSWORTH

Have to agree I'm afraid Gerry. Sam was stood exactly where he ought to be when their player sliced his cross field ball. He had a split second to judge the pace and trajectory, then back-tracked as fast as he could...at the height it was coming down from, the only spot he would have any chance of getting a hand to it would have been on his goal line. Definitely a freak goal, not Sam's fault at all. Whilst I think the MoM award should have gone to others (Bonne?), he did then go on to make some excellent match-winning saves.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024