Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The first June 5th thread 16:58 - Jun 5 with 628 viewsBarsidepete

Really? where is everyone?

What are you doing this weekend?

The French open and the Women's World Cup for me.

Gardening, definitely. Making a goulash. Facebooking. Feeding and watching our the u'sual assortment of garden birds. Laundry. Listening to TalkSport online, The baseball Washington Nationals on the radio outside with cigs and adult beverage tonight. Just basic stuff.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

The first June 5th thread on 17:06 - Jun 5 with 616 viewsFruitbat

Just home from work waiting for sainsburys to arrive. Then tomorrow, buy some plants and lunch with the in-laws then maybe watch barca v juve. Sunday, plant said plants in the garden.
The first June 5th thread on 17:22 - Jun 5 with 611 viewsLeadbelly

Tomorrow - Walk dogs then a session in the gym (first time for seven weeks) in the morning then investigating a potential new fishing lake in the afternoon...possible walk no. 2 for the dogs.

Sunday - Walk dogs in the morning then attend my stepson's football club's awards ceremony at lunchtime.

Eating and maybe some drinking worked in around all that.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

The first June 5th thread on 19:02 - Jun 5 with 601 viewspwrightsknees

Spending tomorrow in Wivenhoe, but not for the regatta. I'll be dog sitting for daughter and son-in-law while they are in London with friends.

At some point I'll send in my offering for next week's Desert Island Discs, then in the evening a fish and chip supper with other daughter and son-in-law.

But Sunday? We had a new printer delivered today, so I'll try to start setting it up. Given my ineptitude at anything mechanical, electronic or computery, I might get it working by the end of the month. Or I could just ask the family to do it for me!

Have a good weekend, Everyone.
The first June 5th thread on 21:10 - Jun 5 with 593 viewsdurham_exile

Currently in John O Groats (JOG) visiting our eldest son.

Have had an excellent week, including a day trip to the Orkneys which was superb and a visit to the Castle of Mey.

This weekend Whale watching off Duncansby Head (a Pod of 10 Orcas has been spotted) and a visit to the Vintage Car Rally at JOG on Sunday.

Travelling home next week and preparing for the 15/16 fixtures!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The first June 5th thread on 21:24 - Jun 5 with 583 viewsBarsidepete

The Netherlands 3, USA 4

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

The first June 5th thread on 00:13 - Jun 6 with 555 viewswessex_exile

Night out with mates tonight, tomorrow general 'stuff' but will include a school uniform trip to BHS in Salisbury, Sunday sorting small-scale house decorating bits, and if the weather holds a late afternoon/ early evening BBQ.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The first June 5th thread on 12:54 - Jun 6 with 542 viewswessex_exile

The first June 5th thread on 21:10 - Jun 5 by durham_exile

Currently in John O Groats (JOG) visiting our eldest son.

Have had an excellent week, including a day trip to the Orkneys which was superb and a visit to the Castle of Mey.

This weekend Whale watching off Duncansby Head (a Pod of 10 Orcas has been spotted) and a visit to the Vintage Car Rally at JOG on Sunday.

Travelling home next week and preparing for the 15/16 fixtures!

Up the U's

Love the Orkneys Durham, worked there over many years on various excavations. Did you get over to Kirkwall, or loiter around Stromness and that end of Mainland? Pentland Firth can be a bit choppy mind, even in the best of weather!

Up the U's

The first June 5th thread on 16:41 - Jun 6 with 527 viewsdurham_exile

The first June 5th thread on 12:54 - Jun 6 by wessex_exile

Love the Orkneys Durham, worked there over many years on various excavations. Did you get over to Kirkwall, or loiter around Stromness and that end of Mainland? Pentland Firth can be a bit choppy mind, even in the best of weather!

Wessex - Mrs Durham and I went on what is called the Maxi Day Tour.

Ferry leaves JOG at 0900hrs - Journey over the Pentland Firth about 45 mins, then we boarded our coach (there were only 15 of us plus driver).

Tour takes in the Churchill Barriers, Stromness (lunch at the Ferry Inn), Skara Brae, the Ring of Brodgar, Standing Stones of Stenness, returning via Kirkwall and the Italian Chapel.

Ferry departs at 1900hrs back in JOG for 1945hrs.

It was a simply spectacular day. Skara Brae is unique and magnificent, did you work on the excavations.

The Crossing was choppy in the morning, but calm at night. Weather, windy but brilliant sunshine. Our coach driver was very knowledgeable and we has plenty of time at each stop. Highly recommended.

The Atlantic meets the North Sea, a definite maelstrom in the making.

Went to the Castle of Mey yesterday, very impressive.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

The first June 5th thread on 17:17 - Jun 6 with 522 viewswessex_exile

The first June 5th thread on 16:41 - Jun 6 by durham_exile

Wessex - Mrs Durham and I went on what is called the Maxi Day Tour.

Ferry leaves JOG at 0900hrs - Journey over the Pentland Firth about 45 mins, then we boarded our coach (there were only 15 of us plus driver).

Tour takes in the Churchill Barriers, Stromness (lunch at the Ferry Inn), Skara Brae, the Ring of Brodgar, Standing Stones of Stenness, returning via Kirkwall and the Italian Chapel.

Ferry departs at 1900hrs back in JOG for 1945hrs.

It was a simply spectacular day. Skara Brae is unique and magnificent, did you work on the excavations.

The Crossing was choppy in the morning, but calm at night. Weather, windy but brilliant sunshine. Our coach driver was very knowledgeable and we has plenty of time at each stop. Highly recommended.

The Atlantic meets the North Sea, a definite maelstrom in the making.

Went to the Castle of Mey yesterday, very impressive.

Up the U's

Fantastic, you got to visit some very special sites, and I'm so glad it included the Italian Chapel, a magnificent reminder of the indomitable spirit of man!

Sadly no, I didn't work on Skara Brae, though the most recent excavations had only been less than a decade before my first trip there in 1982. I worked to begin with on a Norse settlement on the Brough of Birsay over the Easter, not too far up the coast from Skara Brae, and then over the summer helped with a monument survey on the deserted island of Fara in the middle of Scapa Flow. After that, almost all my work was on two sites on Sanday, mainly the 'tell' mound at Pool Bay (quite simply the most magnificent site I have ever had the privilege to investigate), and to a lesser extent a Bronze Age settlement at the north end of the island at Toft's Ness. My last season in the Orkneys was 1988, and to this day I still miss its tranquil beauty, a pace of life and outlook on life we could really do with learning, and of course the islanders - a gentler and more welcoming people than you will likely find anywhere in the world...

...oh, and they hate the Scots even more than we do

Up the U's

The first June 5th thread on 15:37 - Jun 7 with 482 viewsdurham_exile

The first June 5th thread on 17:17 - Jun 6 by wessex_exile

Fantastic, you got to visit some very special sites, and I'm so glad it included the Italian Chapel, a magnificent reminder of the indomitable spirit of man!

Sadly no, I didn't work on Skara Brae, though the most recent excavations had only been less than a decade before my first trip there in 1982. I worked to begin with on a Norse settlement on the Brough of Birsay over the Easter, not too far up the coast from Skara Brae, and then over the summer helped with a monument survey on the deserted island of Fara in the middle of Scapa Flow. After that, almost all my work was on two sites on Sanday, mainly the 'tell' mound at Pool Bay (quite simply the most magnificent site I have ever had the privilege to investigate), and to a lesser extent a Bronze Age settlement at the north end of the island at Toft's Ness. My last season in the Orkneys was 1988, and to this day I still miss its tranquil beauty, a pace of life and outlook on life we could really do with learning, and of course the islanders - a gentler and more welcoming people than you will likely find anywhere in the world...

...oh, and they hate the Scots even more than we do

Wessex, I will look up the references you quoted on the OS map.

I totally agree with you, breath-taking scenery, very friendly people and yes they do hate the Scots!

Overall a superb location and pace of life.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The first June 5th thread on 16:56 - Jun 7 with 474 viewsburnsieespana

My weekend was spent painting the terrace saturday which was rather hot as temperature got up to 35c (97f) before watching F1 Qualifying and then visit to local Bodegas with Mrs Burns and two friends where a considerable amount of Rioja was consumed as well as a selection of tapas.
Today sorting out our so called "WendyHouse" and now about to watch the F1.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024