Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there an interest in an NFL PL? 11:29 - Aug 31 with 1197 viewsBarsidepete

I'll be ok with running it. And you can be presenter two or three times for the 17 weeks. Should I start one? There are three games at Wembley .. should we have an NFL PL?

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 14:06 - Sep 1 with 1159 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I'd be up for playing again. I've got to beat MFB one year!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 16:33 - Sep 1 with 1148 viewsBarsidepete

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 14:06 - Sep 1 by RSCOSWORTH

I'd be up for playing again. I've got to beat MFB one year!

Cheers RS. I think MFB will want to show he knows more about the NFL than any of us, even me, a hardened watcher. I'd like to get a small handful together. I'll do other NFL-related updates; it's not merely about the PL.; there is something cool about the oddball league--only lasts 17 weeks--then the playoffs where even division winners waddle off like a penguin. The pretenders get exposed.

I think we'll start it week two this year. A straight 16 weeks.

Post your interest here or PM me.

It's as simple as posting winners, no scores.

But we would return to 8 games, 6 worth 1 point each, and two more that are more difficult to suss worth 2 points each.

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 17:59 - Sep 1 with 1141 viewsgerry_us

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 16:33 - Sep 1 by Barsidepete

Cheers RS. I think MFB will want to show he knows more about the NFL than any of us, even me, a hardened watcher. I'd like to get a small handful together. I'll do other NFL-related updates; it's not merely about the PL.; there is something cool about the oddball league--only lasts 17 weeks--then the playoffs where even division winners waddle off like a penguin. The pretenders get exposed.

I think we'll start it week two this year. A straight 16 weeks.

Post your interest here or PM me.

It's as simple as posting winners, no scores.

But we would return to 8 games, 6 worth 1 point each, and two more that are more difficult to suss worth 2 points each.

OK, I'm in. I could make third in the league this year.
Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 18:05 - Sep 1 with 1139 viewsdurham_exile

Pete - count me in please

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 18:08 - Sep 1 with 1136 viewsgerry_us

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 18:05 - Sep 1 by durham_exile

Pete - count me in please

Up the U's

Well maybe fourth now!
Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 21:48 - Sep 1 with 1119 viewsmfb_cufc

Count me in please. Title to defend.

mfb

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 21:55 - Sep 1 with 1114 viewsLeadbelly

Me too.

Why do you want to start in week 2? That would deprive me of a week of misplaced selections!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 22:35 - Sep 1 with 1107 viewsBarsidepete

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 21:55 - Sep 1 by Leadbelly

Me too.

Why do you want to start in week 2? That would deprive me of a week of misplaced selections!

Honestly, and I'm not ashamed to admit it, I didn't feel we'd get a solid collection of PL'ers by week 1 which would begin in a week and a half. *was mistaken..

But also, let us get a handle on how good or terrible some teams are after week 1. The preseason is a very difficult measure. Redskins have dropped Robert Griffin as their golden boy quarterback in favour of Kirk Cousins.

Washington 3-0 in the preseason and the Dallas Cowboys 0-3. The New England Patriots, the Superb Owl champs, with an unclear QB situation given that Tom Brady may be unavailable for 4 weeks due to suspension.

I think week 2 is a good place to begin.

Everyone here can have 2 or 3 weeks to be guest presenter, even if that means I personally post no games. I'll just then update what happened, with the aplomb of MFB's league. He does a great job with his PL. He's shown me how to make this NFL PL better.

edit: there are 3 games at Wembley this year:
Miami Dolphins v New York Jets -- 526 left on the resale site StubHub --4 October
Jacksonville Jaguars v Buffalo Bills -- 1904 left --25 October
Detroit Lions v Kansas City Chiefs -- 1007 left-- 1 November

That's WEMBLEY. Secondary market. Many have 3-game ST's.

I'll do it. Thank you all.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2015 22:48]

Login to get fewer ads

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 04:30 - Sep 2 with 1080 viewsBarsidepete

MFB will be presenting our first week, week 2 of the NFL season. Our "first" PL week.

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 15:52 - Sep 3 with 1031 viewsBarsidepete

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 04:30 - Sep 2 by Barsidepete

MFB will be presenting our first week, week 2 of the NFL season. Our "first" PL week.

Breaking news: Federal judge overturns NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's decision to suspend New England Patriots' Quarterback Tom Brady.

It was to be a 4 (of 16) game suspension.

Basically the NFL has been told that you the emperor wears no clothes.

Super Bowl winning QB Brady -- cleared!

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 17:44 - Sep 3 with 1013 viewsLeadbelly

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 15:52 - Sep 3 by Barsidepete

Breaking news: Federal judge overturns NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's decision to suspend New England Patriots' Quarterback Tom Brady.

It was to be a 4 (of 16) game suspension.

Basically the NFL has been told that you the emperor wears no clothes.

Super Bowl winning QB Brady -- cleared!

Quite right too. Not a shred of evidence that Brady did anything wrong. 4 game ban on the back of a report that said he probably knew what happened was always likely to fall once a legal test was applied.

Can the Patriots now have back our draft picks and 1m dollar fine?

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 18:33 - Sep 3 with 994 viewsthrillseeker

I'll have a go
Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 22:22 - Sep 3 with 975 viewsBarsidepete

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 17:44 - Sep 3 by Leadbelly

Quite right too. Not a shred of evidence that Brady did anything wrong. 4 game ban on the back of a report that said he probably knew what happened was always likely to fall once a legal test was applied.

Can the Patriots now have back our draft picks and 1m dollar fine?

That's a good question, Lead. The NFL is going to appeal and that could be a 6-12 month process. And by "The NFL," that would be the league office and Goodell--I reckon you'd say our Sepp.. CNN has suggested it could be a 2-3 year process. And one pundit said, well, that's another 3 Super Bowl titles for New England.

It has so dominated the news here today, even BBC World News has talked about it.

I suppose when you are the champs with a quarterback whose wife is a famous model that literally makes more than the quarterback, and you have a name like New England, you get attention on the BBC

Thank you, Thrillseeker. MFB will get it launched in two weeks. (NFL week 2)

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 22:33 - Sep 3 with 972 viewsBarsidepete

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 18:33 - Sep 3 by thrillseeker

I'll have a go

As I wrote above, Thank you for joining, Thrillseeker. MFB is mulling over what games in two weeks.

You realize that every single decision by Goodell has now been overturned (5-6 is it?)

He is the poster-child for why is he the commissioner of the NFL making about $300 million salary during his contract,.. "allegedly" ..

He made $44 million 2012, $35 miliion in 2013 ... 2014, not clear. But it seems every time he screws up he gets a pay increase.

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 23:28 - Sep 3 with 960 viewsLeadbelly

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 22:22 - Sep 3 by Barsidepete

That's a good question, Lead. The NFL is going to appeal and that could be a 6-12 month process. And by "The NFL," that would be the league office and Goodell--I reckon you'd say our Sepp.. CNN has suggested it could be a 2-3 year process. And one pundit said, well, that's another 3 Super Bowl titles for New England.

It has so dominated the news here today, even BBC World News has talked about it.

I suppose when you are the champs with a quarterback whose wife is a famous model that literally makes more than the quarterback, and you have a name like New England, you get attention on the BBC

Thank you, Thrillseeker. MFB will get it launched in two weeks. (NFL week 2)

BBC does cover the NFL in sports news, mainly internet but it gets a mention on TV and radio when the Wembley games come round.

Main coverage here is on Sky which shows Thursday night game plus two on Sundays. Channel 4 has the Sunday night game and Eurosport has Monday night. ESPN, now known as BT sport has college football (i'm watching North Carolina against South Caroline as I type)

Once the season starts it becomes very difficult to watch five NFL games a week never mind FBS games...but I try!

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 23:58 - Sep 3 with 947 viewsBarsidepete

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 23:28 - Sep 3 by Leadbelly

BBC does cover the NFL in sports news, mainly internet but it gets a mention on TV and radio when the Wembley games come round.

Main coverage here is on Sky which shows Thursday night game plus two on Sundays. Channel 4 has the Sunday night game and Eurosport has Monday night. ESPN, now known as BT sport has college football (i'm watching North Carolina against South Caroline as I type)

Once the season starts it becomes very difficult to watch five NFL games a week never mind FBS games...but I try!

Yup. The time difference. But TalkSport has a handful of "American"-speaking reporters. Probably because they know that people listen to TS worldwide.

Along with ESPN radio, TalkSport is my favourite radio (online app) station. I believe that the Jacksonville (Florida) Jaguars have agreed to a 15 year commitment to play at Wembley? At some point that may become England's NFL team.

It would be So Cool to have a team in London, the London or England Jaguars. Even when they're terrible you'll have 60-70,000 at Wembley. But it appears that all three games are or will be sold out.

Brits like NFL football more than rugby?

Well, we love British soccer more than the MLS. You can't make stuff like this up.

Thank you all for joining the PL. Should be a fun season. I will make all updates worthy of MFB's PL. I believe this is our, um, 9th season?

Plenty of time to join.

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 13:32 - Sep 4 with 920 viewsLeadbelly

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 23:58 - Sep 3 by Barsidepete

Yup. The time difference. But TalkSport has a handful of "American"-speaking reporters. Probably because they know that people listen to TS worldwide.

Along with ESPN radio, TalkSport is my favourite radio (online app) station. I believe that the Jacksonville (Florida) Jaguars have agreed to a 15 year commitment to play at Wembley? At some point that may become England's NFL team.

It would be So Cool to have a team in London, the London or England Jaguars. Even when they're terrible you'll have 60-70,000 at Wembley. But it appears that all three games are or will be sold out.

Brits like NFL football more than rugby?

Well, we love British soccer more than the MLS. You can't make stuff like this up.

Thank you all for joining the PL. Should be a fun season. I will make all updates worthy of MFB's PL. I believe this is our, um, 9th season?

Plenty of time to join.

I'll admit that much as I love the NFL I've not been to Wembley to see any of the International Series. (sold out when the Pats came over)

I'll also admit that even if the Jaguars relocated to London, which I'm not convinced will happen any time soon, I doubt I would go to games anyway. Travel to Wembley (and the new Spurs ground in due course) is fairly time consuming and I wouldn't be watching my team. I've supported the Patriots since 1985, watching Steve Grogan lead them to Super Bowl XX, and wouldn't change allegiance just because another team moved to London.

Whilst the NFL is growing in popularity I'm fairly sure rugby is far more popular. It's not a game I enjoyed playing at school and have never followed it all. I was made aware only a couple of weeks ago that the 2015 Rugby World Cup starts in a couple of weeks and is in England. Obviously I block out any reference to it in the media!

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 02:12 - Sep 8 with 856 viewsBarsidepete

I'm not sure why there isn't a bigger following of college football overseas. There are massive more who follow college football than the NFL. Iowa may get between its teams 14-150,000 on a weekend, and they don't even have an NFL team in the Hawkeye state.. Nebraska to the west have a record for number of sellouts in years, 75,000 per. We could have a college football PL. is there something about how important college football is that is unclear there?

Ohio State U gets 100,000 per game. And they have the NFL Browns and Cincinnati Bengals in the NFL.

The NCAA was at one time king v the NFL and remains so. College may have a dozen games on TV while the NFL is just what it is.

That's literally how many attend in Columbus, Ohio, about 104,000. The stad is that large.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2015 2:39]

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 18:18 - Sep 9 with 802 viewsBarsidepete

Heads up.

The season begins with Pittsburgh Steelers at New England Patriots at 8:30 eastern on Sky Sports HD 1 ("Thursday"), so that's 01:30 "Friday" in England ... get your digital recorder ready if you don't want to be up that late.

That's the Champs, Pats, holders, at home v the Steelers. 6 time champs, most in history, the Steelers. I've noticed over the years that there are lots of New England fans here who either are part of the PL or just follow the league

Looking ahead, more games on Sky 1 than ever. Funny that

edit, my bad, Steelers at Patriots. I get "confused" by the team that is listed first here in the schedule. Yes, even me. Home team second .. game in Foxborough, Massachusetts.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2015 19:57]

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 20:06 - Sep 10 with 764 viewsBarsidepete

Here is an update for the statos:

Super Bowls won: *Super Bowl 50 will be in Santa Clara, California--where the 49ers play--south of San Francisco and north of San Jose, 7 February, 2016... (that will be One Seriously Expensive ticket so if you have notions of attending, you better get it now if you can. Tickets will be $1000-$10,000 each in the secondary market. Having the Golden Super Bowl near San Francisco is going to make the cost prohibitive as San Fran is a worldwide destination, like London.

Pittsburgh Steelers 6
San Francisco 49ers 5
Dallas Cowboys 5
New England Patriots 4
New York Giants 4
Green Bay Packers 4
LA/Oakland Raiders 3
Washington Redskins 3
Denver Broncos 2
Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts 2
Miami Dolphins 2
Baltimore Ravens 2
New York Jets 1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1
New Orleans Saints 1
Kansas City Chiefs 1
LA/St Louis Rams 1
Chicago Bears 1
Seattle Seahawks 1

*LA Rams relocated to St Louis, Missouri -- kind of like MK Dons..
*Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles for a few years but returned to Oakland, across the Bay Bridge from San Francisco, presently -- and yes, I was a Raiders season ticket holder back in the day -- even attended the Raiders destruction of the Redskins in Tampa 3 decades ago for the Super Bowl.
*Colts are a legendary team that moved from Baltimore to Indianapolis, but the Balto Ravens have done just fine.

And tonight to start the NFL season, Steelers at Patriots. 8:30 kickoff, 0130 in the UK, Sky 1 HD. Set your DVR.

More random info, when college football was king: The early era of 1920-1932, here were the "pro" teams:

*Akron Pros (Ohio)-- where the best netball player on the planet, LeBron James is from -- plays for the Cleveland Cavaliers (Ohio)
*Buffalo (New York)
*Canton Bulldogs (Ohio)
*Chicago Cardinals (Illinois) -- And you wonder why the Chicago Cubs and St Louis Cardinals now hate each other in baseball like nothing else matters much.
*Chicago Tigers (Illinois)
*Cleveland Tigers (Ohio)
*Columbus Panhandles (Ohio)
*Dayton Triangles (Ohio)
*Decatur Staleys (Illinois)
*Detroit (Michigan)
*Hammond Pros (Indiana)
*Kenosha Maroons (Wisconsin--where the Packers play)
*Muncie Flyers (Indiana)
*Rochester Jeffersons (New York--nearby rivals then of Buffalo--the Buffalo Bills legendary for having lost 4 Super Bowls with Jim Kelly as QB in the Super Bowl era)
*Rock Island Independents (Illinois)
*Toledo Maroons (Ohio)

In 2020 at Wembley for the international series, you may have more fans from Ohio as tourists than ever. Treat em right. The 100th anniversary of the first league. Us Yanks love you lots.

*Canton, Ohio is where the Pro Football Hall of Fame is. You an NFL fan? You will love the museum.

Plenty of time to join. MFB, champ, will deal with week 1 (we're starting with week 2). All you have to do is pick winners. Not points.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2015 11:19]

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 15:12 - Sep 13 with 683 viewsBarsidepete

A brief update:

Thursday's game:
Pittsburgh Steelers 21 at NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 28 -- The champions keep rolling.

Sunday's games on Sky:
GREEN BAY PACKERS at CHICAGO BEARS (17:30 -- kickoff is 18:00)
BALTIMORE RAVENS at DENVER BRONCOS (21:15 -- kickoff 21:25)

Late Sunday/early Monday: (Sunday Night Football)
NEW YORK GIANTS at DALLAS COWBOYS (20:30 Eastern time zone kickoff -- 01:30 BST Monday)
[Post edited 13 Sep 2015 15:13]

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 18:46 - Sep 13 with 668 viewsLeadbelly

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 18:18 - Sep 9 by Barsidepete

Heads up.

The season begins with Pittsburgh Steelers at New England Patriots at 8:30 eastern on Sky Sports HD 1 ("Thursday"), so that's 01:30 "Friday" in England ... get your digital recorder ready if you don't want to be up that late.

That's the Champs, Pats, holders, at home v the Steelers. 6 time champs, most in history, the Steelers. I've noticed over the years that there are lots of New England fans here who either are part of the PL or just follow the league

Looking ahead, more games on Sky 1 than ever. Funny that

edit, my bad, Steelers at Patriots. I get "confused" by the team that is listed first here in the schedule. Yes, even me. Home team second .. game in Foxborough, Massachusetts.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2015 19:57]

Sky Sports now has "exclusively live" coverage (their words, not mine) of the five games a week shown in the UK. Thursday and Monday night and three on Sunday.

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 22:29 - Sep 13 with 656 viewsBarsidepete

Is there an interest in an NFL PL? on 18:46 - Sep 13 by Leadbelly

Sky Sports now has "exclusively live" coverage (their words, not mine) of the five games a week shown in the UK. Thursday and Monday night and three on Sunday.

So no more games on Channel 4?

Early results and updates before MFB posts week 1 of 16 (or week 2 of 17, if you like)

Thursday:
Pittsburgh 21 at NEW ENGLAND 28

Sunday:
Indianapolis 14 at BUFFALO 28 F
GREEN BAY 31 at Chicago 23 F
KANSAS CITY 27 at Houston 20 F
CAROLINA 20 at Jacksonville 9 F
Cleveland 10 at NEW YORK JETS 31 F
Seattle 31 at ST LOUIS 34 F
MIAMI 17 at Washington 10 F

edited updates: (late kickoffs)
New Orleans 19 at ARIZONA 31 F