Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Official site 20:03 - Dec 28 with 727 viewsLeadbelly

Every time I visit the official site I am plagued by pop-ups or worse. This week it seems my mobile device has won an unlikely number of prizes from Tesco. Last. week it was a young lady pleasuring herself vigorously to advertise a website where, it was claimed, I'd be amazed by the number of local women who had signed up to said website in order to have sex immediately.

On the basis this problem occurs only when I access the official site I wonder if anyone else has experienced it?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Official site on 20:09 - Dec 28 with 726 viewsthrillseeker

I visit the Official site quite frequently but never experience a problem with advert pop ups.
Official site on 20:21 - Dec 28 with 716 viewsDaniel

I had the same problem Lead when I visited it on my mobile recently. Dodgy advertising.
Official site on 20:22 - Dec 28 with 713 viewsFruitbat

Official site on 20:21 - Dec 28 by Daniel

I had the same problem Lead when I visited it on my mobile recently. Dodgy advertising.

Yeah, ditto that.
Official site on 21:30 - Dec 28 with 699 viewsnoah4x4

The U's site is the worst culprit, but I was being plagued as described on multiple sites, notably the gazette. Accidently brush a finger over any advert and one might end up on some salubrious website.

I understand the issue is that legitimate sites are handing over control of advertising space to say Google (who pay them). Google then sell this space to advertisers, some that start with an apparently legitimate offer, but click on that and you might end up anywhere. Then 'cookies' open up more unwelcome doors. Mobile phones now need antivirus and malware protection just as much as computers.
Official site on 07:25 - Dec 29 with 665 viewsLeadbelly

I'm aware of the danger of opening ads once on a website but the problem occurs as i try to access the site rather than once I'm on there. I shall be emailing the club today as I'm completely pissed off with the situation.

Official site on 11:25 - Dec 29 with 638 viewswessex_exile

Official site on 07:25 - Dec 29 by Leadbelly

I'm aware of the danger of opening ads once on a website but the problem occurs as i try to access the site rather than once I'm on there. I shall be emailing the club today as I'm completely pissed off with the situation.

F'cking hate popups and other such unwanted interweb intrusions, but as it happens I don't think I've ever had that problem with the official site (PC or mobile)?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Official site on 13:02 - Dec 29 with 640 viewsnoah4x4

Leadbelly, try this (may be similar on Android);

If on an I-Phone with a Safari browser; try <settings><safari> then <clear history/cookies>; then try these additional settings; <block pop-ups> + <block cookies>. I have also added Norton Mobile Security as an extra future layer of protection.

This does seems to cure the Col Utd and Gazette problem. But then I found I could not access The U'Sual until I changed second setting to <allow cookies from visited sites>. Hence you only gather crap and cookies from sites physically visited. The problem might come back if you innocently visit an "advert" (so easy with temperamental touch screens); but repeat the clear history to reset etc. and this seems to fix it.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2015 13:18]
Official site on 13:19 - Dec 29 with 634 viewsBarsidepete

I clear my cache and remove history and cookies at least once a day. I've literally not done one virus scan on my MacBook Pro in nearly a decade.

I only check email on my iPhone, then immediately do a clear cookies, whatever, on it.

Haven't been on the OMB in about 3-4 years because of trolls who wanted to take the piss. This is the only ColU site I'm on.

The writing is very good.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Login to get fewer ads

Official site on 14:17 - Dec 29 with 621 viewsLeadbelly

Matt Hudson confirms the football league is aware of the problem and is taking action. Caused by a third party advertiser.

Official site on 20:04 - Dec 29 with 603 viewsnoah4x4

Official site on 14:17 - Dec 29 by Leadbelly

Matt Hudson confirms the football league is aware of the problem and is taking action. Caused by a third party advertiser.

Even if the FA fix this local issue another rogue advert or app will soon appear. But if you follow the steps described it will resolve the problem immediately.

It never struck me before to periodically clear 'history' & 'cookies' etc on a mobile phone or take similar precautions to those I routinely take on my PC, but with hindsight it is totally logical.

Today I read issue 464 of 'Computer Active' (December 2015). It describes how Android and Ios Apps, also Microsoft, Google and others are now infiltrating both PC's and Phones with intrusive functions and how some rogue applications and advertisers are then exploiting this. Windows 10 "updates" are becoming seriously intrusive unless managed. It is well worth a read of this magazine special issue. I have since tightened up everything on both my phone & PC to allow only crucial security updates etc (instructions in magazine).
Official site on 20:46 - Dec 29 with 596 viewsBarsidepete

Official site on 20:04 - Dec 29 by noah4x4

Even if the FA fix this local issue another rogue advert or app will soon appear. But if you follow the steps described it will resolve the problem immediately.

It never struck me before to periodically clear 'history' & 'cookies' etc on a mobile phone or take similar precautions to those I routinely take on my PC, but with hindsight it is totally logical.

Today I read issue 464 of 'Computer Active' (December 2015). It describes how Android and Ios Apps, also Microsoft, Google and others are now infiltrating both PC's and Phones with intrusive functions and how some rogue applications and advertisers are then exploiting this. Windows 10 "updates" are becoming seriously intrusive unless managed. It is well worth a read of this magazine special issue. I have since tightened up everything on both my phone & PC to allow only crucial security updates etc (instructions in magazine).

I blog/comment on the Washington Post and remind peeps constantly, .... reset your cache, clear your cookies and history; write down your passwords on a piece of paper.

I'm a bit of a computer nerd. Go old school and write your passwords on a piece of paper -- there is no need to not clean out your computer of data daily
[Post edited 30 Dec 2015 0:52]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024