Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Queen Elizabeth II 18:51 - Sep 8 with 1250 viewswessex_exile

It has just been announced that the Queen, who's health was failing, has sadly died at the age of 96 at her Balmoral residence. Reports suggest her family were with her at the end. Whatever one's view on the monarchy, this is a sad day for the nation.

The Queen is dead, long live the King.

Rest in Peace Your Majesty

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Queen Elizabeth II on 21:59 - Sep 8 with 1174 viewsdurham_exile

Very sad news. RIP

God Save the King.

I would imagine that the majority of sporting events will be cancelled this weekend.

Durham_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 23:00 - Sep 8 with 1164 viewswessex_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 21:59 - Sep 8 by durham_exile

Very sad news. RIP

God Save the King.

I would imagine that the majority of sporting events will be cancelled this weekend.

Hadn’t thought about that, but you may well be right. I see Tranmere’s game tomorrow night has been postponed, I presume that’s the reason?

Up the U's

Queen Elizabeth II on 04:51 - Sep 9 with 1145 viewswessex_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 23:00 - Sep 8 by wessex_exile

Hadn’t thought about that, but you may well be right. I see Tranmere’s game tomorrow night has been postponed, I presume that’s the reason?

Yep, that is the reason. Announcement this morning regarding the rest of the fixtures on Saturday.

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/september/efl-statement-friday-fixtures-postponed/

Up the U's

Queen Elizabeth II on 10:01 - Sep 9 with 1110 viewsburnsieespana

RIP Queen Elizabeth you have served us well

God save King Charles 111.
Queen Elizabeth II on 12:09 - Sep 9 with 1084 viewsmfb_cufc

This weekend's Premier League and English Football League fixtures have been postponed as a mark of respect following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

mfb

Queen Elizabeth II on 12:47 - Sep 9 with 1072 viewsgerry_us

Queen Elizabeth II on 12:09 - Sep 9 by mfb_cufc

This weekend's Premier League and English Football League fixtures have been postponed as a mark of respect following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

Poor decision.
What could have be better than for football fans throughout the UK showing their great respect for our well loved departed Queen at 3.00pm Saturday.
And also to cancel horse racing......Ma'am would be mortified
RIP Ma'am
Queen Elizabeth II on 14:54 - Sep 9 with 1060 viewsdurham_exile

I fully support this decision.

After 70 years of majestic rule postponing sporting fixtures is entirely appropriate.

Also from a personal point of view I am pleased because our local Agricultural Society has their 134th Show this weekend and I was going to have to miss the Holker Street game.

I will look forward to the rearranged game on a Tuesday night.

In the meantime God save the King

Durham_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 15:04 - Sep 9 with 1058 viewsgerry_us

Queen Elizabeth II on 14:54 - Sep 9 by durham_exile

After 70 years of majestic rule postponing sporting fixtures is entirely appropriate.

Also from a personal point of view I am pleased because our local Agricultural Society has their 134th Show this weekend and I was going to have to miss the Holker Street game.

You and me disagreeing Peter? That must be a first
Not cancelliing the Ag show then?
Login to get fewer ads

Queen Elizabeth II on 16:17 - Sep 9 with 1051 viewswessex_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 14:54 - Sep 9 by durham_exile

Have to agree too Durham - it's one match, and it's not every day our monarch of the last 70 years passes away. From a selfish perspective, it's also let me off the hook, as I have to go up to London early tomorrow for a mystery family event (probably related to my recent birthday milestone), so was going to have to cancel the weekly blog. Every cloud etc.

Up the U's

Queen Elizabeth II on 21:03 - Sep 9 with 1013 viewsdurham_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 15:04 - Sep 9 by gerry_us

You and me disagreeing Peter? That must be a first
Not cancelliing the Ag show then?

We did think about it Gerry but given the Show is tomorrow and many of the beasts are already on the field and Judges and so on are travelling from all points of the UK and given that I am President this year, the Committee took the decision to carry on.

I do think however that it is right to postpone the weekends sporting fixtures.

I think we can agree to disagree on this one.

Durham_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 21:05 - Sep 9 with 1012 viewsdurham_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 16:17 - Sep 9 by wessex_exile

Have to agree too Durham - it's one match, and it's not every day our monarch of the last 70 years passes away. From a selfish perspective, it's also let me off the hook, as I have to go up to London early tomorrow for a mystery family event (probably related to my recent birthday milestone), so was going to have to cancel the weekly blog. Every cloud etc.

Have a safe journey Wessex. London will certainly be busy.

I will have extra days to compose some thoughts ahead of the Saddlers game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 08:31 - Sep 10 with 969 viewsnoah4x4

Football postponed Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Racing postponed Saturday, resumes Sunday.
Cricket postponed Friday, resumes Saturday.
A mixed picture for the Rugby codes.
Table Tennis only halted on the day of the funeral.
Where is the consistency?

I'm with the senfiment that football and its fans universally and simultaneously paying tribute to her Majesty at 14.45 today might have be a more fitting tribute. A proper ceremony, two minutes silence, black arm bands, no fancy dress, no flags etc. Instead, the inconsistency potentially breeds divisiveness as the elite sports of cricket and racing have choosen a different path to soccer, yet nobody loved sport and encouraged national unity more than Her Majesty. Either all sport should have been postponed this weekend, or all sport should proceed and be postponed only for the funeral. The inconsistency makes zero logic. Frankly, I would have welcomed the opportunity to join with the wider community of football enthusiasts to show our collective respects and sing "God save the King" with my peers. But equally wholly respect a status where all sport is cancelled if that is the greater will of the people. But the Test Match resuming today and St Leger proceeding on Sunday seems distinctly odd.

There will now be hundreds of lonely people sat at home this weekend being miserable, including many whose only regular social interaction with others is their weekly football fix (or other like activity). Mental health problems, including the forgotten consequences of loneliness, now blights this nation. Her Majesty would not have wanted this. So please make the effort today to check out the welfare of anybody that you know that might fall into this criteria. We all know souls that depend on football. Let us consider their needs and reach out to them today as normal. I am sure that might even have been Her Majesties last command. RIP.
Queen Elizabeth II on 11:36 - Sep 10 with 934 viewsdurham_exile

Our Show went ahead.
We had a two minute silence for Her Majesty and then the National Anthem.

Respects paid I then opened the show.
We had also lost three of our Committee members this year so the silence was particularly poignant.

Weather is mixed but not cold.

Durham_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 14:08 - Sep 10 with 921 viewsbwildered

Queen Elizabeth II on 08:31 - Sep 10 by noah4x4

Football postponed Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Racing postponed Saturday, resumes Sunday.
Cricket postponed Friday, resumes Saturday.
A mixed picture for the Rugby codes.
Table Tennis only halted on the day of the funeral.
Where is the consistency?

I'm with the senfiment that football and its fans universally and simultaneously paying tribute to her Majesty at 14.45 today might have be a more fitting tribute. A proper ceremony, two minutes silence, black arm bands, no fancy dress, no flags etc. Instead, the inconsistency potentially breeds divisiveness as the elite sports of cricket and racing have choosen a different path to soccer, yet nobody loved sport and encouraged national unity more than Her Majesty. Either all sport should have been postponed this weekend, or all sport should proceed and be postponed only for the funeral. The inconsistency makes zero logic. Frankly, I would have welcomed the opportunity to join with the wider community of football enthusiasts to show our collective respects and sing "God save the King" with my peers. But equally wholly respect a status where all sport is cancelled if that is the greater will of the people. But the Test Match resuming today and St Leger proceeding on Sunday seems distinctly odd.

There will now be hundreds of lonely people sat at home this weekend being miserable, including many whose only regular social interaction with others is their weekly football fix (or other like activity). Mental health problems, including the forgotten consequences of loneliness, now blights this nation. Her Majesty would not have wanted this. So please make the effort today to check out the welfare of anybody that you know that might fall into this criteria. We all know souls that depend on football. Let us consider their needs and reach out to them today as normal. I am sure that might even have been Her Majesties last command. RIP.

Agree Noah.The FA got it wrong. Perhaps no sporting events for the state funeral day ( date unknown ) but otherwise like the start of the final Test Match at the Oval, two minutes silence and the now revised National Anthem before play should have been the norm.
Many industries which are struggling, being denied the income that football generates at weekends, especially during these hard times, which will now be lost to a mid week fixture, and the inconvenience of many.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Queen Elizabeth II on 17:30 - Sep 10 with 898 viewsdurham_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 14:08 - Sep 10 by bwildered

Agree Noah.The FA got it wrong. Perhaps no sporting events for the state funeral day ( date unknown ) but otherwise like the start of the final Test Match at the Oval, two minutes silence and the now revised National Anthem before play should have been the norm.
Many industries which are struggling, being denied the income that football generates at weekends, especially during these hard times, which will now be lost to a mid week fixture, and the inconvenience of many.

But at least I can now go to Holker Street for the rearranged fixture.

Durham_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 18:20 - Sep 10 with 889 viewswessex_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 17:30 - Sep 10 by durham_exile

But at least I can now go to Holker Street for the rearranged fixture.

...and the rest of us can watch it on iFollow

Up the U's

Queen Elizabeth II on 18:46 - Sep 10 with 887 viewswessex_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 21:05 - Sep 9 by durham_exile

Have a safe journey Wessex. London will certainly be busy.

I will have extra days to compose some thoughts ahead of the Saddlers game.

Up the U's

And some Durham, busy wasn't the word. The trains to and from London weren't too bad, but obviously by accident rather than design, it was a surprise birthday lunch at the RAF Club on Piccadilly - same tube stop as those going to Buckingham Palace. It was absolutely mobbed, thousands and thousands there, most clutching flowers to lay at the gates. Quite moving if I'm honest.

Up the U's

Queen Elizabeth II on 23:29 - Sep 10 with 858 viewsdurham_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 18:46 - Sep 10 by wessex_exile

And some Durham, busy wasn't the word. The trains to and from London weren't too bad, but obviously by accident rather than design, it was a surprise birthday lunch at the RAF Club on Piccadilly - same tube stop as those going to Buckingham Palace. It was absolutely mobbed, thousands and thousands there, most clutching flowers to lay at the gates. Quite moving if I'm honest.

Wessex
Pleased you had a good time and a good lunch.
Good also that the strikes have been suspended for the present.
With more details of the arrangements being announced for Her Majesty's funeral London will only get busier.

Durham_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 16:52 - Sep 11 with 802 viewsgerry_us

Queen Elizabeth II on 23:29 - Sep 10 by durham_exile

Wessex
Pleased you had a good time and a good lunch.
Good also that the strikes have been suspended for the present.
With more details of the arrangements being announced for Her Majesty's funeral London will only get busier.

Hope the Bowes Show went well Peter and no wellies were required.
Queen Elizabeth II on 17:16 - Sep 11 with 798 viewsdurham_exile

Queen Elizabeth II on 16:52 - Sep 11 by gerry_us

Hope the Bowes Show went well Peter and no wellies were required.

Gerry - show was very good
Sports jacket, flannels and
wellingtons were de riguer because of the Co Durham weather but in fairness it was mainly dry.
Quintessential English Agricultural Show in September what's not to like.

I know that the FA have received criticism but I think the weekend free from footie was the right decision and as I have stated previously from a selfish point of view I can now go to Barrow.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024