Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? 22:50 - Jan 3 with 653 viewsdurham_exile

The latest news from across the pond..............

"Iowa Republicans are preparing to cast the first votes of the 2012 presidential contest, marking their choice for a candidate to challenge President Barack Obama in November.

Polls show the race in Iowa has turned into a three-man contest among front-runner Mitt Romney, Ron Paul and Rick Santorum, who is quickly gaining ground with voters in the Midwestern state.

"We're going to win this thing," Mr Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, told a rally on the last full day of campaigning.

But that was not certain. Mr Romney is virtually tied in the polls with Texas representative Mr Paul, a small-government libertarian who has found fertile ground in Iowa for his states' rights, anti-war message.

Former Pennsylvania senator Mr Santorum is gaining ground on both men, playing heavily on his conservative Christian, anti-abortion record with like-minded Republican voters in the heartland state.

Mr Romney may withstand the challenges because Republicans see him as the candidate most likely to defeat Obama. The president is vulnerable because of the struggling American economy and continuing high unemployment as the country has been slow to rebound from the Great Recession of 2007-2009.

Republican voters in Iowa will gather at 8pm EST (1am GMT) for sessions that last two hours. In the living rooms of private homes, school auditoriums and libraries, they will hear from the candidates' local representatives for a final sales pitch before they write down the name of their favourite on blank pieces of paper handed out to each caucus-goer.

Texas governor Rick Perry, former house speaker Newt Gingrich and Minnesota representative Michele Bachmann all trailed the top three Iowa candidates. Mr Gingrich on Monday went so far as to predict his own defeat, and Mr Paul said he does not envision himself in the White House.

Neither Santorum nor Paul is likely to be as serious a challenge to Romney nationally as would Perry and Gingrich, who have both fallen back in polls in recent weeks.

After the vote, Mr Romney, Mr Gingrich and Mr Santorum planned to leave for New Hampshire. Mr Romney holds a commanding lead in polls there and will be in a strong position to win in the state's January 10 primary even if he doesn't pull out a victory in Iowa. Mr Paul plans to join his rivals in New Hampshire later in the week".

Are you rivetted by this Pete?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 09:38 - Jan 4 with 647 viewsDaniel

The Scunny game can't come quick enough!
Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 19:02 - Jan 5 with 623 viewsgerry_us

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
I came back from the USA two years ago to miss this type of endless political intrigue and now it seems that it may have followed me home to Blighty.
Are we really interested in the fact that Mitt ( what's that short for...mitigated as in disaster? ) Romney won the Iowa caucus. The only interest for anyone on the board would have been the mention of Des Moine, Iowa, one time hometown of erstwhile Iowa Pete and also of the best sausage and mash I think I have ever had..thanks Pete.
Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 22:54 - Jan 5 with 618 viewscarruthers

Trouble is that all the candidates have to appear to be totally scandal free. I strongly suspect that the best guys for the job would be adulterous drug taking alcoholics, not because of those faults but despite them.
Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 03:31 - Jan 7 with 599 viewsBarsidepete

Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 19:02 - Jan 5 by gerry_us

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
I came back from the USA two years ago to miss this type of endless political intrigue and now it seems that it may have followed me home to Blighty.
Are we really interested in the fact that Mitt ( what's that short for...mitigated as in disaster? ) Romney won the Iowa caucus. The only interest for anyone on the board would have been the mention of Des Moine, Iowa, one time hometown of erstwhile Iowa Pete and also of the best sausage and mash I think I have ever had..thanks Pete.

I'm still thinking

Let me check with my advisors

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 21:22 - Jan 7 with 582 viewsBarsidepete

My advisors have briefed me and I'm going to hold off comment till after the New Hampshire primary on Tuesday

Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? (n/t) on 22:28 - Jan 7 with 577 viewsgerry_us

Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 21:22 - Jan 7 by Barsidepete

My advisors have briefed me and I'm going to hold off comment till after the New Hampshire primary on Tuesday

Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 22:28 - Jan 7 with 577 viewsgerry_us

Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 21:22 - Jan 7 by Barsidepete

Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 23:10 - Jan 7 with 573 viewsBarsidepete

Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 22:28 - Jan 7 by gerry_us

In a quirk of timing we were in The Royal Mile pub in Des Moines the night Obama got elected, with reports and results coming in on flat screen tvs when otherwise there'd have been a game on. Those were indeed excellent bangers and mash, Gerry

Login to get fewer ads

Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 21:13 - Jan 8 with 555 viewsgerry_us

Can any Republican seriously challenge Obama? on 23:10 - Jan 7 by Barsidepete

In a quirk of timing we were in The Royal Mile pub in Des Moines the night Obama got elected, with reports and results coming in on flat screen tvs when otherwise there'd have been a game on. Those were indeed excellent bangers and mash, Gerry

I remember it well Pete as it was also our inaugural meeting of the U's US fan club of which I remember there were ?? TWO ?? members. I regret with my leaving the USA you are on your own mate. Keep up the good work.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024