Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wordsworth 19:49 - Jan 26 with 926 viewsDaniel

According to Sky Sports, Bournemouth have made a bid for Woody: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11743/7458138/Cherries-bid-for-Wordswort
Wordsworth on 09:14 - Jan 27 with 907 viewsnoah4x4

With the new 65% rule next season, we have to trim the squad as we are not going to improve gate receipts.

But what is Magnus doing in the Gazette denying that there has been any interest in him? There probably hasn't, as surely clubs will wait until he is out of contract in the summer and hence available for free. But John Ward was saying similar things a week earlier (e.g. denying any bids for anybody). Why say anything unless we are ACTIVELY promoting that they are for sale?

Strikes me that we can't avoid losing any two (or three) of Woody, Magnus, O'Toole, Williams or Baldwin. Only Woody has a transfer value after the transfer window closes. Sadly, we may have to sell him immediately simply to gain back any cash value if the others can depart for free in July.

But was interesting to see sicknote committing to the club - but then he has tried donating his body to medical science and even it wouldnt pay for fear that his hamstrings would break down before the first experiment. But fair play, Gillie has now made four consecutive starts without injury (a record for him?). Let's hope Gillie and Massey are our new talismen.
Wordsworth on 11:36 - Jan 27 with 899 viewswessex_exile

Wordsworth on 09:14 - Jan 27 by noah4x4

With the new 65% rule next season, we have to trim the squad as we are not going to improve gate receipts.

But what is Magnus doing in the Gazette denying that there has been any interest in him? There probably hasn't, as surely clubs will wait until he is out of contract in the summer and hence available for free. But John Ward was saying similar things a week earlier (e.g. denying any bids for anybody). Why say anything unless we are ACTIVELY promoting that they are for sale?

Strikes me that we can't avoid losing any two (or three) of Woody, Magnus, O'Toole, Williams or Baldwin. Only Woody has a transfer value after the transfer window closes. Sadly, we may have to sell him immediately simply to gain back any cash value if the others can depart for free in July.

But was interesting to see sicknote committing to the club - but then he has tried donating his body to medical science and even it wouldnt pay for fear that his hamstrings would break down before the first experiment. But fair play, Gillie has now made four consecutive starts without injury (a record for him?). Let's hope Gillie and Massey are our new talismen.

I expect the Magnus article was the work of his agent, making sure lurkers were reminded he was still in the shop window - usual bollox, I'm not reading too much into it.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Wordsworth on 21:37 - Jan 27 with 870 viewsnoah4x4

I said above...

Strikes me that we can't avoid losing any two (or three) of Woody, Magnus, O'Toole, Williams or Baldwin

Rio gone to Shrimpers.....prematurely? .....on a free!

Why? - except to cut wage bill to get under 65% rule.
Wordsworth on 22:20 - Jan 27 with 864 viewswessex_exile

Wordsworth on 21:37 - Jan 27 by noah4x4

I said above...

Strikes me that we can't avoid losing any two (or three) of Woody, Magnus, O'Toole, Williams or Baldwin

Rio gone to Shrimpers.....prematurely? .....on a free!

Why? - except to cut wage bill to get under 65% rule.

Exactly that Noah - it's not that we can't afford to lose them, more we can't afford to keep them. Those who want contract renewals will find less in their pay packet, those out of contract have the same problem, or let go. Anyone we can actually get cash for will go.

Harsh, but to be honest I'm looking forward to the U's getting back on a semi-solvent footing. With the new stadium, new Chairman with some cash, a couple of seasons in the Championship etc., we've allowed ourselves to be duped into believing we're something we're not - I'm looking forward to the U's being (more or less) financially solvent and punching above our weight
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Wordsworth on 12:02 - Jan 28 with 847 viewspancab77

Wife and I are having a heated discussion sparked by this thread...I'm saying that if the club put the tickets down to a fiver we'd probably still only get 3 or 4 thousand through the turnstiles..Mrs PC says we'd get a lot more....Someone put her right(not a euphemism)for me please..

eyeing a league and cup double

Wordsworth on 19:27 - Jan 28 with 839 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Wordsworth on 12:02 - Jan 28 by pancab77

Wife and I are having a heated discussion sparked by this thread...I'm saying that if the club put the tickets down to a fiver we'd probably still only get 3 or 4 thousand through the turnstiles..Mrs PC says we'd get a lot more....Someone put her right(not a euphemism)for me please..

I'm with you on this one pancab, even at a fiver a ticket I doubt we'd get more than 5,000 home fans. In fact I doubt we could fill the ground for a League One game even if we gave the tickets away. Colchester is no longer a football town and hasn't been for a very long time.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Wordsworth on 10:18 - Jan 29 with 825 viewsnoah4x4

We regularly let kids (or perhaps the military) in for a quid - and still they don't come. Discounting prices won't help to any great extent, unless more innovative (e.g. family tickets, couples discounts etc), but they are impossible to police to avoid abuse - except as season ticket options.

It's very simple (IMHO); Crowds at WHCS are roughly 5% of the residual town's population after the deduction of those NOT likely to consider going to football. We can't expect more.

To get bigger crowds, we have to draw in more people from (say) Braintree, Witham, Chelmsford etc, and they already have their own clubs that are doing OK (or look to London/Ipswich teams) and won't have any affinity with Colchester until we become more succesful (e.g. Championship).

We also need a couple of seasons where Ipswich hit rock bottom, so our local youngsters start taking pride in our town club. They will naturally gravitate towards the PERCEIVED most successful local team, and currently that's at Portman Road . Maybe next year things will turn, given that Ipswich may get relegated.
Wordsworth on 18:20 - Jan 29 with 808 viewsdurham_exile

Wordsworth on 10:18 - Jan 29 by noah4x4

We regularly let kids (or perhaps the military) in for a quid - and still they don't come. Discounting prices won't help to any great extent, unless more innovative (e.g. family tickets, couples discounts etc), but they are impossible to police to avoid abuse - except as season ticket options.

It's very simple (IMHO); Crowds at WHCS are roughly 5% of the residual town's population after the deduction of those NOT likely to consider going to football. We can't expect more.

To get bigger crowds, we have to draw in more people from (say) Braintree, Witham, Chelmsford etc, and they already have their own clubs that are doing OK (or look to London/Ipswich teams) and won't have any affinity with Colchester until we become more succesful (e.g. Championship).

We also need a couple of seasons where Ipswich hit rock bottom, so our local youngsters start taking pride in our town club. They will naturally gravitate towards the PERCEIVED most successful local team, and currently that's at Portman Road . Maybe next year things will turn, given that Ipswich may get relegated.

noah

The Hartlepool experiment where 5,500 season tickets were sold at £100 per time is an interesting comparison.

They started the season like a train and home support was solid, a disastrous run of 9 matches without a win and the 3,300 home support was back in vogue.

Colchester need to turn the Weston Homes back into the fortress it was last season.

Too many drawn games and defeats to some poor opposition has left the home faithful disappointed.

Interestingly the boo boys have been prevalent at home but away I have only witnessed one chorus of "you don't know what you're doing" so far this season!

With the Blades next in town and then Walsall (where we won last year), time for some CONSISTENCY!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Wordsworth on 12:45 - Jan 30 with 792 viewsnoah4x4

Durham, arguably proves my point. Pricing isn't the solution

Good team performance, but lifted by the workrate of the 622 vocal U's fans at Orient - real fans - 100% supportive throughout.

But what really struck me was the attitude of the O's fans in the excellent supporters bar after (great beers probably help!). I heard not one moan, not even about the Lisbie penalty shout. Friendly towards the U's fans; total acceptance of being beaten by the better team on the day; no expectation of promotion; just happy to be in Division One and playing good football most weeks.

I am not saying that having ambition is wrong, but the reality of gates, revenues, player budgets and the challenge prevails at Brisbane Road. What also helps is a fabulous supporters bar and the comraderie after - rather than just a moaning miserable walk down Stadium Way after a loss. Two good pints of real ale and it all feels so much better. U's to note - perhaps open up Centennial Suite to loyal fans after game?
Wordsworth on 21:47 - Jan 30 with 763 viewsdurham_exile

Wordsworth on 12:45 - Jan 30 by noah4x4

Durham, arguably proves my point. Pricing isn't the solution

Good team performance, but lifted by the workrate of the 622 vocal U's fans at Orient - real fans - 100% supportive throughout.

But what really struck me was the attitude of the O's fans in the excellent supporters bar after (great beers probably help!). I heard not one moan, not even about the Lisbie penalty shout. Friendly towards the U's fans; total acceptance of being beaten by the better team on the day; no expectation of promotion; just happy to be in Division One and playing good football most weeks.

I am not saying that having ambition is wrong, but the reality of gates, revenues, player budgets and the challenge prevails at Brisbane Road. What also helps is a fabulous supporters bar and the comraderie after - rather than just a moaning miserable walk down Stadium Way after a loss. Two good pints of real ale and it all feels so much better. U's to note - perhaps open up Centennial Suite to loyal fans after game?

Noah - great viewpoint and interesting assessment from O's fans, particularly concerning the Lisbie "penalty".

I have only viewed it on U's player and the footage is not clear but I have seen them given is a view. However perhaps some good fortune was long overdue.

The ex Colchester strikers were out in force and perhaps we were wise to give them a miss.

I am looking forward to seeing Massey at Walsall. He looks pacy and with good close control.

The Blades provide a test this weekend. Back to back wins, I wonder?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wordsworth on 23:05 - Jan 30 with 759 viewsBFG

Another perspective on the O's result:

http://leyton-orient-blog.blogspot.com/2012/01/leyton-orient-0-colchester-united
Wordsworth on 08:19 - Jan 31 with 747 viewsdurham_exile

Wordsworth on 23:05 - Jan 30 by BFG

Another perspective on the O's result:

http://leyton-orient-blog.blogspot.com/2012/01/leyton-orient-0-colchester-united

Nice to read that the O's fans share a frustration for poor performances at home, but Colchester according to reports and the limited footage that I have seen afforded them very little opportunity to shine.

Clearly consistency is the key word in league one performances.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wordsworth on 08:21 - Jan 31 with 745 viewsdurham_exile

Wordsworth on 08:19 - Jan 31 by durham_exile

Nice to read that the O's fans share a frustration for poor performances at home, but Colchester according to reports and the limited footage that I have seen afforded them very little opportunity to shine.

Clearly consistency is the key word in league one performances.

Up the U's

Oh and the Cherries signing of Mr Tubbs (they call me Mr Tibbs) from Crawley ends their interest in Woody.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wordsworth on 17:49 - Jan 31 with 729 viewsFruitbat

Wordsworth on 08:21 - Jan 31 by durham_exile

Oh and the Cherries signing of Mr Tubbs (they call me Mr Tibbs) from Crawley ends their interest in Woody.

Up the U's

Apparently for 800k so they've obviously got a bit of cash sloshing about.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024