Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No limits at Boundary Park 10:24 - Feb 29 with 488 viewsdurham_exile

In what is probably the mildest February in living record the U’s went to darkest Oldham last evening.

As I travelled down the M6 and across the M60 the weather began to close in, foggy and then a gentle rain blown by an increasing breeze. Arriving at the ground and negotiating the pot holes in the spacious car park, I looked around for a team bus. Unfortunately although the players had spent the day locally they were caught up in an accident on the M60 Motorway and didn’t arrive at the ground until 7.10pm. I’m sure that some of them thought that they were still on the bus in the first half and so did we.

I had my youngest son with me and we met up with Gerry at the ground. He had probably been the first to arrive and at one stage thought that he would be wearing the famous Goalie gloves again when Ben Williams and Co hadn’t arrived.

In the end all was well. The team warmed up and looked keen and ready to start. Now for those who haven’t been to Boundary Park for a while it looks akin to a demilitarised zone with the demolished stand a mix of concrete and shanty town type buildings. The ground has been reduced to three sides for some years now but still has a capacity of just over 10,000.

Oldham has introduced a golden ticket, the next five home games for £15 buying the ticket in advance which is an amazing £3 per game. It definitely had some impact with the attendance of 3,956 (perhaps they were only there for the Col U).

John ward walked down and applauded the faithful just before kickoff, we responded with polite applause.

The U’s lined up:

Williams

Wilson Magnus Eastman White

Izzet Rowlands Woody Henderson

Sears

Gillespie

Bench:

Heath, Bond, Odejayi, Rose, James

I tried to work out the formation and reckon that it was 4, 5, 1 (no surprise there).

Now this was my first opportunity to see Rowlands and Sears (sounds like a Departmental store from the home Counties). Rowlands I was very impressed with, he works hard, delivers some excellent crosses and takes a very good free kick.

Sears, now let’s see. First I was very excited when I knew that he was coming to Colchester. He is one of those players that have a good reputation for industry, but the goals or lack of are a problem.

He started brightly, a couple of mazy runs and some good passing. But quickly faded. JW was playing him very deep just inside the opposition half and I think he needs to play off Kayode Odejayi to feed off knock downs and headers.

The first ten minutes were fairly even and both sides had early chances. Sears had a chance that was played through to him on the right side of the penalty area but he lifted the ball too high and it went over the bar.

Henderson had a goal disallowed after a foul on the keeper who twice came for balls and lost out to onrushing strikers and twice the ref penalised the Colchester player.

The faithful were in good voice early doors and we learned that 61 had made the journey. The stewards were taking their task of managing the Essex hoards too seriously and little humour was evident from the OAFC stewards.

Now the fog was swirling about and when the play went to the far end where the majority of home supporters were situated we had problems picking out the players clearly. I would imagine that was Kem Izzet’s excuse too.

As the half wore on the Latics started to spray 60 yard passes to their two wide men and Colchester appeared to be reasonably comfortable until a very poor header from Magnus let in the industrious Marsh Brown (sounds like a species of butterfly found in Esher) who was one on one with Ben Williams. We looked on with horror as Ben narrowed the angle and then relief as Marsh Brown placed his shot hopelessly wide.

So a let off for Magnus and the U’s. Cue chants of “How wide do you want the goal” from the faithful.

Marsh Brown however redeemed himself with a simple tap in after Williams has made a point blank save following a corner.

So half time and the U’s went in 1-0 down. The weather remained wet and foggy.

Gerry sampled a black coffee and I tried a meat and potato pie and coffee. My son scored the pie 7 out of 10. The filling was good and piping hot but the pastry was a little on the tough side. (In truth nothing compares to the pies at Spotland).

Second half (Izzet was limping as he took the field and did not look fit) and the tiring Sears was first to make way after 55 minutes. Kayode Odejayi took the field and looked purposeful. He soon squandered a good headed chance but things were at last happening.

The impressive Eastman was injured in a clash of heads and had to leave the field with Matt Heath replacing him after 66 minutes. A minute later and Izzet was replaced by Andy Bond.

Now suddenly things really started to improve, Colchester looked more purposeful. Gillespie and Odejayi looked more potent, Rowlands was spraying the ball around and we looked to be showing more attacking intent which is what JW had stated before the game. Note to JW if you want more attacking intent don’t play 4-5-1 and make sure you play strikers in advanced roles. Sears will never score from the half way line.

Oldham began to defend deeper and encouraged Colchester to become more adventurous. More corners resulted. The fullbacks got forward; we felt the good vibrations (sorry Gerry).

Then after 81 minutes the equaliser, a delicious free kick delivered from Rowlands was met by Woody who despatched the header with aplomb.

Now if football is a game of two halves, then this was a game of 80 minutes and 10 minutes. Suddenly there was belief that we could win the game. Oldham defended more desperately and waves of yellow shirts came forward, Gillespie hit a shot not dissimilar to the Liverpool second goal at Wembley, unfortunately for Gilly his shot went just wide. But this is was what we should have been doing for the bulk of the game.

The cautiousness had gone and there was real attacking flair. Sadly we couldn’t press home the advantage, but a point was well deserved.

At the final whistle, the players applauded the faithful and JW made sure he shook the hand of every opposition player, official, manager and back room staff, ball boy and retired Oldham players, that left him two seconds to applaud the faithful and not time to acknowledge our players who had showered and were back on the bus.

Now don’t get me wrong, courtesy is an old fashioned quality and JW is a gentleman, but he takes this too far. Concentrate on the Colchester players and supporters instead John.

Man of the Match for me Rowlands and influence on the game was exerted by Kayode Odejayi.

There was just time to wish Gerry a safe journey and to remark that we have yet to see Colchester lose when we have both been present at the game. I suggested that we should go to the Valley!

Another point towards safety but with just nine points separating us from sixth spot there is still time to take risks and who knows what might be realised.

keep the faith.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

No limits at Boundary Park on 11:07 - Feb 29 with 483 viewscarruthers

Excellent Durham, I feel as if I was there.
No limits at Boundary Park on 13:17 - Feb 29 with 472 viewswessex_exile

Indeed - cracking report Durham, many thanks

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

No limits at Boundary Park on 13:29 - Feb 29 with 468 viewsLeadbelly

No limits at Boundary Park on 13:17 - Feb 29 by wessex_exile

Indeed - cracking report Durham, many thanks

Very interesting Durham.

Regarding Freddie Sears...having discussed this loan signing with a few Hammers fans of my acquaintance they all seem of like mind. He hasn't lived up to the early promise shown under Pardew(with whom he fell out), looks lively but is simply too lightweight for a striker. One of them said "Centre halves in League 1 like a tackle but Freddie doesn't!"

We shall see

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

No limits at Boundary Park on 15:53 - Feb 29 with 458 viewsgerry_us

Great report Pete,it was if I was there....Oh, I was!
Hope you had a great journey home. I had warned my wife to expect a bed fellow around midnight and when arrived ten minutes before the witching hour she looked disappointed that it was me!
Have to say I agree with your assessment of an 80/20 split on the game. If only we had shown the same type of enthusiasm for the game as we did in the last fifteen minutes we may/should have come away with something more than we did. However, not to be forgotten that we could have been in serious trouble by half time if Oldham hadn't missed that absolute open goal after the Magnus debacle. On the whole then a point earned but just maybe two points given up also. Not convinced about Freddie's Ears yet and I think he had a poor game wherever he was supposed to be operating. Looked much more agressive when Kayode appeared.
I also agree about your comments on John Ward. I had never actually taken much note of it before but he did actually shake hands with "everyone". My feeling is that he should have been seen to kicking the ankles of the opposition, not congratulating them for denying us two points. This "Mr Nice Guy" touch is just too much to take in a competitive sport. And well done to us 61 travelling supporters...I think the guys would have heard us!
Hope we meet again before the season ends but now a bit wary of our "unbeaten" record so far this season.
Pity about our joint predictions.
No limits at Boundary Park on 20:09 - Feb 29 with 437 viewswessex_exile

No limits at Boundary Park on 15:53 - Feb 29 by gerry_us

Great report Pete,it was if I was there....Oh, I was!
Hope you had a great journey home. I had warned my wife to expect a bed fellow around midnight and when arrived ten minutes before the witching hour she looked disappointed that it was me!
Have to say I agree with your assessment of an 80/20 split on the game. If only we had shown the same type of enthusiasm for the game as we did in the last fifteen minutes we may/should have come away with something more than we did. However, not to be forgotten that we could have been in serious trouble by half time if Oldham hadn't missed that absolute open goal after the Magnus debacle. On the whole then a point earned but just maybe two points given up also. Not convinced about Freddie's Ears yet and I think he had a poor game wherever he was supposed to be operating. Looked much more agressive when Kayode appeared.
I also agree about your comments on John Ward. I had never actually taken much note of it before but he did actually shake hands with "everyone". My feeling is that he should have been seen to kicking the ankles of the opposition, not congratulating them for denying us two points. This "Mr Nice Guy" touch is just too much to take in a competitive sport. And well done to us 61 travelling supporters...I think the guys would have heard us!
Hope we meet again before the season ends but now a bit wary of our "unbeaten" record so far this season.
Pity about our joint predictions.

Re: John Ward shaking hands with everyone connected with Oldham, right down to the ball boys, let's pause and reflect. The lifespan of a Football Manager is fragile enough, so doesn't do any harm sowing a few seeds elsewhere whenever the opportunity presents itself

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

No limits at Boundary Park on 22:45 - Feb 29 with 426 viewsBaldrick

No limits at Boundary Park on 20:09 - Feb 29 by wessex_exile

Re: John Ward shaking hands with everyone connected with Oldham, right down to the ball boys, let's pause and reflect. The lifespan of a Football Manager is fragile enough, so doesn't do any harm sowing a few seeds elsewhere whenever the opportunity presents itself

I have not put any comments up lately due to not attending for many games now. I was left to travel and watch on my own as my other three comrades had just called time enough is enough.
Me and my old mates were accused of having what was it half a glass full or whatever but we did say at the begining of the season we were not going anywhere with this guy. I hasten to add I do listen in on the radio and after the game last saturday somebody wrang in and stated all the U's supporters should back off as our lovely chairman was having the training ground built for our youth. Due of course to the new 60% law or what ever coming in.
Well that is fair and good but why are we using every Tom Dick & Harry hasbeen from other clubs when we have players waiting in the wings. Or do we ???
As to the shaking of hands, I past comment sometime ago likewise other supporters have aswell on this.
Mr Ward not only shakes hands with all the opposition ball boy's tea ladies and opposition supporters I understand he now likes a game of "Chess". I just thought his main game was "pocket billiards" on the touchline.
We need a manager with a bit of fire in his belly !!
Still then again what do I know I'm just an old git like many other old gits who have supported this club all their lives with half a cup full of nuthing sorry nothing.

No limits at Boundary Park on 12:07 - Mar 1 with 416 viewscarruthers

I'm with you on this Baldrick, as my old mother in law used to say. 'If things don't alter, they stay as they are'
No limits at Boundary Park on 19:28 - Mar 1 with 406 viewsdurham_exile

No limits at Boundary Park on 12:07 - Mar 1 by carruthers

I'm with you on this Baldrick, as my old mother in law used to say. 'If things don't alter, they stay as they are'

Thanks for the responses guys, glad you got home safely Gerry.

This weekend brings another chance at our first double of the season, before mission impossible at the Valley. More of this later in the week.

Now six points from those two games and JW can shake hands with whoever he wants!

In the meantime, Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

No limits at Boundary Park on 13:25 - Mar 5 with 386 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Durham must've toughened you up as it didn't feel that mild a few weeks ago when it was minus 10 and there were 8 inches of snow on the ground!

John Ward is halfway to being able to shake hands with the whoever he likes!

Baldrick is halfway to topping up his half empty cup!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

No limits at Boundary Park on 17:33 - Mar 5 with 375 viewsBaldrick

No limits at Boundary Park on 13:25 - Mar 5 by RSCOSWORTH

Durham must've toughened you up as it didn't feel that mild a few weeks ago when it was minus 10 and there were 8 inches of snow on the ground!

That includes all opposition Directors Chairman etc.
I notice the likes of Sheffield W Huddesfield etc never came after our delightful ice dancing formation team manager.

Being an old git I find it hard to set aside ££ for fuel entrance etc which perhaps you will find out when you are a pensioner, so at my age I would sooner spend the afternoon in my garden and as for cup please read Glass, Pint, Beer in that order. ( Yes I find a beer more Entertaining !)

No limits at Boundary Park on 20:03 - Mar 5 with 369 viewsdurham_exile

No limits at Boundary Park on 13:25 - Mar 5 by RSCOSWORTH

RS - when you have lived in the shadow of the Northern Pennines for nigh on 20 years, the rigours of Oldham Athletic in February at Boundary Park are a little easier to bear.

When I return to the West Midlands or to Colchester it normally feels sub tropical to me!!!!

Up the U's

PS: I really mean the comments about JW shaking hands, the opposition players often seem embarrassed and it doesn't give him time to congratulate his own players or wave to the fans.

If you watch the end of a Premier League encounter the manager is straight down the tunnel and the players half heartedly acknowledge their supporters.

One of the advantages of watching League One is that the Colchester players always come to the Away supporters even if there are only 61 of us!

Credit where it is due, the fans pitch up and spend valuable time and money supporting their heroes and a minute at the end of the game costs nothing but is always warmly acknowledged by the faithful.

Likewise our supporters are all entitled to their views whether they are glass half empty or full characters.

In recent years Parky, Lambo and even Hoofroyd acknowledged the supporters.

Magnus is always the first to come to the away supporters.

Just give us a wave John and the fans will respond accordingly.

Durham_exile

No limits at Boundary Park on 13:55 - Mar 8 with 357 viewsRSCOSWORTH

No limits at Boundary Park on 17:33 - Mar 5 by Baldrick

That includes all opposition Directors Chairman etc.
I notice the likes of Sheffield W Huddesfield etc never came after our delightful ice dancing formation team manager.

Being an old git I find it hard to set aside ££ for fuel entrance etc which perhaps you will find out when you are a pensioner, so at my age I would sooner spend the afternoon in my garden and as for cup please read Glass, Pint, Beer in that order. ( Yes I find a beer more Entertaining !)

I expect your cup, sorry glass is overflowing with champagne after Tuesday night's result!

John Ward was last seen in Charlton, shaking hands with each and everyone of the home supporters!

No limits at Boundary Park on 20:55 - Mar 8 with 353 viewsBaldrick

No limits at Boundary Park on 13:55 - Mar 8 by RSCOSWORTH

I expect your cup, sorry glass is overflowing with champagne after Tuesday night's result!

John Ward was last seen in Charlton, shaking hands with each and everyone of the home supporters!

U included ?
No limits at Boundary Park on 21:00 - Mar 8 with 351 viewsBaldrick

No limits at Boundary Park on 20:55 - Mar 8 by Baldrick

U included ?

He must read these boards then ??

Champagne !! been there got the teashirt !!
One of me old mates reckons u gave Mr Ward a lift home ??
No limits at Boundary Park on 08:50 - Mar 9 with 343 viewsRSCOSWORTH

No limits at Boundary Park on 20:55 - Mar 8 by Baldrick

U included ?

No, I don't support Charlton and I wasn't even at the game.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024