Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant 09:18 - Apr 13 with 752 viewsnoah4x4

One can't disagree with Roger's rant (CUSA newsletter 78) that any foul & abusive language directed towards a Colchester Official (e.g. John Ward), is unwelcome on the terraces. But to criticise the "Ward Out" chants and make comparisons with a similar campaign that might be targeted against an employee in the normal workplace is, to my mind, invalid.

If one of us got sacked, we get a measly week or two of statutory pay and (possibly) a few weeks in lieu of notice. If self employed and losing a vital contract, you are totally alone. But if a football manager gets sacked, he gets the remainder of his FULL contract period paid off. So who actually has the better job/financial security when one PERFORMS BADLY? Also, if during our initial six month period of "probation" we didn't perform too customer expectation, would we keep our jobs?..... not likely.

Securing a 'contract' of fixed minimum duration has distinct benefits, not the least if you get sacked early you still get paid. To be fair, football manager rates of pay in Divisions One and Two are fairly modest (but well above national average male pay rates), and longevity is just as short as within the Premier League - but contracts are usually for couple of years or more (does anybody on here have that guarantee written into their contracts?). Surely it is a career that most correspondents on this board would jump at given half the chance (despite the obvious risks). The potential rewards and lifestyle for ultimate success (e.g. managing a Premier League or top Championship side) is far beyond the wildest dreams of most. Do any of us have the same career chances in life?

Any self employed or entreprenuarial person is only as good as his last job, or his last investment, or other last risk taking decision. Over my career I have taken many personal risks to build a reputation that keeps customers happy and today, my family are, at last, comfortable (but there was no comfort when I was taking the necessary risks). So who are the "customers" of WHCS that J Ward needs to please, and what are the "risks" that he should take?

Frankly, nobody actually wants to see John Ward sacked in any vindictive manner. That is reflected in the humour of the "John Ward for England" chants. But what we do want is to see the sort of attractive football that is encouraged by (say) 4-4-2 and not the negative tactical drivel being served up most weeks.

The U's seem obsesssed with avoiding defeat. In 19 games during 2012, we have drawn 10. From those ten draws we have got just ten points. Yet, had we had been a little more adventurous and won just FOUR yet LOST SIX (!!!) by chasing the extra goal for a win - we would have secured twelve points. It seems lost on JW that the incentive to win is now an extra two points per game. Then,if we had done a little better and won six, suddenly our current 10 (drawn) points become 18 and (despite four more losses) we are still in the play-offs pack.

I wholly echo Roger's sentiment that in a league of only 24, merely 3 can be promoted, and with the U's resources, we will probably always struggle. But let's at least try to win in excess of 40% of games (even if we do lose 60% and draw none). Leadbellies thread illustrates that JW's 'win' ratio has consistently been low. Frankly, I don't care if the U's lose 60% if they win 40%. But constantly drawing and the prevailing style of JW play drives me nuts. We joked and moaned about "Hoofroyd", and that comes with the manager's territory, but at least Aidey aimed to win, (even if the ball always went past the floodlights towards its target). Frankly, I have more sympathy for referees who (unjustifiably) get ten times more abuse than John Ward.
Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 11:14 - Apr 13 with 741 viewsAFCMorant

I don't think I've ever joined in a chant for a manager to be sacked from Dick Graham to now, as I think negativity towards an individual (player or manager) doesn't help the team during the game. I don't want to labour the point but the people I met up with at Bury, for the first time since I saw them at Rochdale and my friends in Colchester I keep in contact with all say the same thing, John Ward's negative approach is driving away many long standing fans including me. Acknowledging we are short of cash is fine, but that doesn't mean there are no alternatives to Ward; Parkinson was a gamble that paid off and there must be similar aspiring managers waiting for their chance who are worth a punt. I won't join in Ward out chants (especially as I don't attend games - Notts County and Kem's testimonial excepted) but that's what I want, for the future of the club.
Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 12:16 - Apr 13 with 735 viewsLeadbelly

Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 11:14 - Apr 13 by AFCMorant

I don't think I've ever joined in a chant for a manager to be sacked from Dick Graham to now, as I think negativity towards an individual (player or manager) doesn't help the team during the game. I don't want to labour the point but the people I met up with at Bury, for the first time since I saw them at Rochdale and my friends in Colchester I keep in contact with all say the same thing, John Ward's negative approach is driving away many long standing fans including me. Acknowledging we are short of cash is fine, but that doesn't mean there are no alternatives to Ward; Parkinson was a gamble that paid off and there must be similar aspiring managers waiting for their chance who are worth a punt. I won't join in Ward out chants (especially as I don't attend games - Notts County and Kem's testimonial excepted) but that's what I want, for the future of the club.

We are going nowhere under Ward. The football is, for the most part, sterile and negative and the attendances have suffered as a result. Not losing seems to be the game plan. Had I not bought a season ticket this year I doubt I'd still be at every game.

The real problem is I don't imagine Ward will be going anywhere either. Cowling never has seemed to care very much what the fans think and I fear we will have to be very much worse on the pitch and very much more vocal in the stands before we see any change of manager.

I've never booed players but I have joined in chants for previous managers to be sacked...when I thought that was in the club's best interests. I think we are at the point where Ward's departure would be in the best interests of the club. Any new manager would,surely,be able to produce more positive football. Noah is quite right...a few more wins,even if that means a few more defeats, gathers more points and would certainly be a more varied diet than the stodge dished up this season.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 13:25 - Apr 13 with 724 viewsRSCOSWORTH

We've lost 12, Notts County have lost 14. They've got 66 points and are looking good for the play-offs, we've got 54 and looking like we're already on holiday!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 16:20 - Apr 13 with 715 viewsBaldrick

Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 11:14 - Apr 13 by AFCMorant

Us old buggers have never joined in the chant of manager out etc, But many a time have booed the ref linesman etc. But we have shown our displeasure at this managers tactics and booring play by not attending. As I have said before we will loose players this summer where are the replacements? Why is he not blooding some of our youth and reserve players ? Why is Cowling paying for loan players who half the time sit on the bench or when they do play are not as good as some of our guys in the reserves. I hate to say it begining of season we said then this guy is taking us nowhere.
Mind u us old codgers are the half cup full brigade or something !
Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 17:42 - Apr 17 with 677 viewsLeadbelly

Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 16:20 - Apr 13 by Baldrick

Us old buggers have never joined in the chant of manager out etc, But many a time have booed the ref linesman etc. But we have shown our displeasure at this managers tactics and booring play by not attending. As I have said before we will loose players this summer where are the replacements? Why is he not blooding some of our youth and reserve players ? Why is Cowling paying for loan players who half the time sit on the bench or when they do play are not as good as some of our guys in the reserves. I hate to say it begining of season we said then this guy is taking us nowhere.

Based on the call I received from the ticket office yesterday I'm the only one who thinks the football under Ward this season has been lacking in entertainment.

The thought of another season of Wardball was already making me question the wisdom of renewing my season ticket. If club employees wish to call me up (after I have asked at least four times in writing that they do not contact me) to tell me the football has been exciting and nobody else has expressed similar sentiments to my own then it really makes me wonder why I should bother going to games at all.

Attendances have been tailing away this season. Likely changes (weakening) of the squad and the thought of more negative football will, I'm sure, make other people question whether to buy a season ticket. Whilst the club chooses to ignore what seems evident to most of us and maintains all is well then they can have no complaints if attendances fall further.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 14:18 - Apr 19 with 648 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 16:20 - Apr 13 by Baldrick

Some good points Baldrick, many of which I agree with but you're glass half empty not half full remember?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 12:55 - Apr 24 with 624 viewsburnsieespana

In fairness to Ward I understand his remit was "to keep Col U out of Div 2" ie not get relagated so that, for sure, means somewhat negative tactics.
I think this will be the case for a couple or so year's going forward until such time as we start to see the fruits of the training ground investment.
Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 23:03 - Apr 25 with 609 viewsBaldrick

Roger Westlake (CUSA Secretary) rant on 12:55 - Apr 24 by burnsieespana

In fairness to Ward I understand his remit was "to keep Col U out of Div 2" ie not get relagated so that, for sure, means somewhat negative tactics.
I think this will be the case for a couple or so year's going forward until such time as we start to see the fruits of the training ground investment.

In a couple of years or so if this guy is still in charge I hate to think where we will be.?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024