Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The buck stops with me... 14:03 - Nov 28 with 500 viewsnoah4x4

A refreshingly honest Joe Dunne confessed to the press that he is possibly facing the sack if he can't arrest the current slide after five defeats in six. But I for one hope that his position is not in peril.

Joe inherited a squad going nowhere fast (except towards Division Two); then got off to a great start when loanees Ibrehe, Watt and Eastmond worked their magic. Then suffered a run of misfortune; starting with Watt's injury and (hopefully) ending with the thrashing at MK Dons where Joe was forced to play the totally ineffective Morrison, and rested Bean and Rose who did reserve a break after some valient performances; whilst Sullivan has come into goal - and frankly hasn't impressed me. I much prefer the bravery of Mark Cousins down at a strikers feet, and his shot stopping ability, even if he is a little less able tackling the crossed ball (and tends to punch more). I don't think it would have changed the result, but I reckon the MKD score would have been less painful had Mark beeen between the sticks.

In effect; on Saturday it was back to square one with simply what Joe inherited from John Ward. Magnus should never have been welcomed back; Morrison was a poor signing; Woody probably wants a big club. There are some crys for the return of O'Toole, but having seen him in reserve and U21 games this season, JJ is not for me. Yes, just like Izzet, JJ shows high commitment and fight, but in our favoured game plan we need skill, agility and pace, which he hasn't got.

Potts and Josh Thompson look like good further loan signing, but we can't ever create a sustainable team based on loanees alone. Good things are happening at U21 and U18 level, and the longer term future does look better than ever. However, it seems clear to me that the U's now need their greatest turnover of players in the next transfer window; where Joe probably has to sell to buy. But being realistic, what price will others pay for our squad? There is no sudden magic pill going to fix this.

Harsh words were said in the dressing room on saturday. I am sure some rears were kicked and egos pricked. Joe might not be Alex Ferguson yet as regards effectively delivering the 'hairdryer' treatment, but I am confident that he won't pussy foot around. But he can only work with what he has, and this challenge is probably a season's mission.

The other problem I forsee is that without a full complement of the current loanees, we currently don't have any Plan B. It's easy to say that we should simply adapt style and tactics to what players we have available. However, just as it was evident at Northampton, not everybody in the current squad can play this way. There may be times that we have to revert to 4-5-1 and dour John Ward tactics to win dirty (or more likely draw). But once a new fluid/passing philosophy has been established, it isn't easy to then say 'about turn' in consecutive matches. We do need wholesale personnel changes to the squad.

Hence, I hope that both Robbie Cowling and the fans stick solidly behind Joe, and we enjoy the relegation fight. Indeed, for once we do have something to play for which may even enhance the season's entertainment and enjoyment. But Joe needs the rest of the season to have any chance, and if he avoids relegation and changes the squad for a better future, that will do for me.

The buck stops with me... on 15:00 - Nov 28 with 487 viewsLeadbelly

Major surgery is required in January and next summer. My fear is that this surgey will be complicated because Ward has signed some players on long term deals and they simply aren't good enough for League 1. Moving them on will not be easy.

It was an honest assessment of recent form but I was a little surprised by it. Ward won no games out of 9 and averaged 0.5 points per league game. Joe figures are W6 D1 L7 with and average of 1.58 points per league game. Had 6 wins from 12 league games been spread more evenly I don't think he would have said what he did.

We had a great run at the start of his tenure but we have slipped back to some of the bad habits of the previous regime. This is not his squad yet. Changes are necessary and I'm confident Joe knows what needs to be done. Simple fact is, we have looked excellent when things have worked (Orient away) but, as you say, there is no plan B...at the moment.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

The buck stops with me... on 19:33 - Nov 28 with 464 viewsbwildered

Managers like players find their level, and knowing how to turn round a bad run is a art within itself. Lets hope Joe has learnt from others on how progress from this situation.
Home form is still the key against the lower teams to pick up the necessary points to keep us out of trouble, has we seem to be light years away from those clubs in the top six in terms of organised play and structure .
In the long term pace is required at both ends of the pitch, and a experience keeper established at the back for us to make steady progress .
Rome was not built in a day and still early days for Dunne and Kinsella so perhaps some player exchanges might be required in January to get the balance right .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024