Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What if Pompey go under? 01:23 - Mar 3 with 536 viewsFrozenExile

Does anyone know what would happen if Pompey get liquidated? Would there be one fewer teams relegated from L1 and one more promoted from L2 and Conference? How would they balance it all up?

I absolutely do not want a club of the stature of Pompey to go under, by the way. I'd take relegation for the U's rather than see that. Just interested to know what the FL would do.
What if Pompey go under? on 07:36 - Mar 3 with 512 viewswessex_exile

I take no credit for the following, Leadbelly did the detective work:

If they fold before the end of the normal season, their record gets expunged (i.e. we'd lose 4pts) and the number of relegation places is reduced by one.

If they fold during the play-offs, their record remains but the number of relegation places is still reduced by one.

If they fold in the close season, their record remains and the number of relegation places for the league they would have been playing in next season is reduced by one.

Obviously with Pompey facing certain relegation, all three scenarios leave League 2 one place light next season. What I don't get though, is neither of the first two scenarios allow any mechanism to correct this the following season - only the last option does?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

What if Pompey go under? on 10:31 - Mar 3 with 508 viewsnoah4x4

I raised this in a thread some while back - and I too was indebted to Leadbelly for identifying the likely outcome.

The expulsion of Portsmouth would assist the U's as the U's would only lose an average of 2 points per game; having drawn versus Pompey at home. Others theatened with relegation currently lose 3 or 6 points, having always defeated Portsmouth, hence an average deduction of 3. Who would think that our slip up at home could assist us!

But let's hope this finally gets sorted favourably in the High Court on April 14th, as nobody wants to see a fine club like Pompey leave the league. But it's the last chance saloon given they then have only two fixtures left, and no time for a further court appearance.
What if Pompey go under? on 17:06 - Mar 3 with 492 viewsbwildered

Disagree Frozen , it's bad enough these days watching football regularly seeming players taken one for the team , but to see the U's thank a league drop for the survive for a another club of stature is another .
No disrespect to Pompey , but they were happy enough under Harry paying big bundles and having Wembley appearances , whilst beaten teams which perhaps with more fiscal diligence, they would not competing with.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

What if Pompey go under? on 11:42 - Apr 11 with 407 viewsburnsieespana

Seems a deal now agreed and Pompey coming out of administration 22nd April. Assume then the ten points will be deducted.
What if Pompey go under? on 14:24 - Apr 11 with 391 viewswessex_exile

What if Pompey go under? on 11:42 - Apr 11 by burnsieespana

Seems a deal now agreed and Pompey coming out of administration 22nd April. Assume then the ten points will be deducted.

Given the unpalatable alternative, surely a good result for football, and League 2 can expect some decent attendances when Pompey come to town. Sadly, it appears almost inevitable to expect at least one club a season to go into administration these days :-(

Up the U's

What if Pompey go under? on 17:35 - Apr 11 with 386 viewsLeadbelly

More than one Wessex. Coventry are there already, Pompey will be and Bury have just made a £1m cash call as they believe they will go bust if they don't get it.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

What if Pompey go under? on 22:38 - Apr 11 with 373 viewsthrillseeker

What if Pompey go under? on 14:24 - Apr 11 by wessex_exile

Given the unpalatable alternative, surely a good result for football, and League 2 can expect some decent attendances when Pompey come to town. Sadly, it appears almost inevitable to expect at least one club a season to go into administration these days :-(

That is why the Football League should have harsher penalties for any team entering administration.

Any team placed in administration should automatically be demoted and start on -10 points. This would ensure owners DO NOT overspend and keep to a financial plan of only spending what they bring in
What if Pompey go under? on 23:20 - Apr 11 with 367 viewswessex_exile

What if Pompey go under? on 22:38 - Apr 11 by thrillseeker

That is why the Football League should have harsher penalties for any team entering administration.

Any team placed in administration should automatically be demoted and start on -10 points. This would ensure owners DO NOT overspend and keep to a financial plan of only spending what they bring in

I know what you mean - I'm certain the FL introduced the regulation to try and discourage clubs from spending beyond their means, but these days it sort of seems a safety net for club owners to take the 10pt hit and wipe their debts off in the process when the time is right (i.e. already relegated, only a distant chance of reaching the play-offs etc.) - perhaps a rethink is needed?

I'd like to see something that hurts those that mismanage clubs just as much as it hurts the teams and supporters they allegedly represent - some sort of term ban from being associated with a football club perhaps, or being tagged to ensure they attend every mid-week evening game at Carlisle, Hartlepool and Plymouth for an entire season?

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

What if Pompey go under? on 09:07 - Apr 12 with 359 viewsburnsieespana

How right you are and I think the problem will be greater next year as the financial fair play rules really begin to bite!
What if Pompey go under? on 09:12 - Apr 12 with 358 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I'm more worried about Bury going under because if it happens all of a sudden we'll be level on points with Scunthorpe and Oldham, with us and Oldham having a game in hand. Personally I don't think the league will let it happen though, especially with only four games to go.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

What if Pompey go under? on 09:27 - Apr 12 with 357 viewsthrillseeker

What if Pompey go under? on 09:12 - Apr 12 by RSCOSWORTH

I'm more worried about Bury going under because if it happens all of a sudden we'll be level on points with Scunthorpe and Oldham, with us and Oldham having a game in hand. Personally I don't think the league will let it happen though, especially with only four games to go.

The PFA will not let Bury go under with only 15 days of the league remaining.
What if Pompey go under? on 09:27 - Apr 12 with 356 viewsthrillseeker

What if Pompey go under? on 09:12 - Apr 12 by RSCOSWORTH

What if Pompey go under? on 10:42 - Apr 12 with 351 viewsRSCOSWORTH

What if Pompey go under? on 09:27 - Apr 12 by thrillseeker

Bloody good job too!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024