Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can someone help me with a question that I can't answer, please. 18:29 - Feb 15 with 1370 viewspwrightsknees

My son-in-law, who is an Ipswich Town supporter (but, then, my daughter hasn't read my will) has asked me why the U's are called the Eagles. And I don't know.

I know that the old Colchester Town amateurs were called "The Oysters", but to me the U's we always just "the U's" and nothing more.

But I lived in Glasgow for about 15 years, and when I came back to Colchester, the U's had become "the Eagles".

How and why did that happen?
[Post edited 15 Feb 2015 18:37]
Can someone help me with s question that I can't answer, please. on 18:39 - Feb 15 with 1360 viewsFruitbat

I'm guessing here but I reckon it must have been round about when the crest on the shirt was changed from the town coat of arms to the Roman eagle standard. Early seventies, just before I started going (76).
Can someone help me with s question that I can't answer, please. on 18:50 - Feb 15 with 1347 viewswessex_exile

Can someone help me with s question that I can't answer, please. on 18:39 - Feb 15 by Fruitbat

I'm guessing here but I reckon it must have been round about when the crest on the shirt was changed from the town coat of arms to the Roman eagle standard. Early seventies, just before I started going (76).

Indeed, the Roman Eagle was adopted as a badge in 1972, apparently (according to Wikipedia - so it must be right) after a dispute with CBC forced them to drop the Cross of St Helena and 3 crowns Colchester coat of arms. Just to scotch one oft-repeated urban myth though (which needless to say is repeated on the aforementioned Wikipedia), the only connection between Colchester Town (Oystermen) and Colchester United is that we briefly used the same Layer Rd ground whilst co-existing, we never evolved from Colchester Town.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Can someone help me with a question that I can't answer, please. on 19:17 - Feb 15 with 1341 viewsbwildered

Would have given the same answer has Wessex, and the Roman standard became the club badge at the start of the 72-7 season , when we reverted to playing in white shirts. In the Football League Review which was inside the match day programme around that time, we where still listed has the Oystermen.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Can someone help me with a question that I can't answer, please. on 20:17 - Feb 15 with 1326 viewsnoah4x4

Strange but true story;

I was once wandering around 'Ground Zero' in New York wearing my Colchester Utd jacket and couldn't work out why various other tourists kept spontaneously asking me questions. Then I realised that the current club badge replicates the 'Twin Towers' with the American Eagle.

I hence know exactly where to sell all our old stock of redundant shirts and other U's paraphenalia; Robbie Cowling. So can I have two free tickets to Manhattan to scout for an outlet?
Can someone help me with a question that I can't answer, please. on 21:42 - Feb 15 with 1312 viewspwrightsknees

Thanks everyone. Now I know. I confess that I had (wrongly) assumed that it came from one of those trendy re-branding exercises.

The U's have struggled to put in back-to-back good performances this season, but let's hope that they can put in the sort of performance that they did on Saturday, and overcome MK Dons on Tuesday. Then let's hope that the "Eagles" can ruffle the Robin's feathers next Saturday.
Can someone help me with a question that I can't answer, please. on 13:47 - Feb 17 with 1270 viewsburnsieespana

Can someone help me with a question that I can't answer, please. on 21:42 - Feb 15 by pwrightsknees

Thanks everyone. Now I know. I confess that I had (wrongly) assumed that it came from one of those trendy re-branding exercises.

The U's have struggled to put in back-to-back good performances this season, but let's hope that they can put in the sort of performance that they did on Saturday, and overcome MK Dons on Tuesday. Then let's hope that the "Eagles" can ruffle the Robin's feathers next Saturday.

Interesting comments about the eagles because I got caught out just recently in a quiz as had completely forgot or blanked it out that this was our nickname. U can just imagine it when the quizmaster ( sadly a rabid Norwich fan) said this one Tony will defo get and I didn't! Bloody old age is what I put it down to!
Us exiles hope those of you who can attend tonight will somehow help us get another win tonight but personally would be happy with a boring 0-0 draw!
Can someone help me with a question that I can't answer, please. on 16:08 - Feb 17 with 1254 viewsgerry_us

Can someone help me with a question that I can't answer, please. on 20:17 - Feb 15 by noah4x4

Strange but true story;

I was once wandering around 'Ground Zero' in New York wearing my Colchester Utd jacket and couldn't work out why various other tourists kept spontaneously asking me questions. Then I realised that the current club badge replicates the 'Twin Towers' with the American Eagle.

I hence know exactly where to sell all our old stock of redundant shirts and other U's paraphenalia; Robbie Cowling. So can I have two free tickets to Manhattan to scout for an outlet?

I hope you showed due reverence Noah even while being questioned about the Eagle.
My wife and I visited a couple of years ago and the place has an amazing feel to it and we were both very moved.
Can someone help me with a question that I can't answer, please. on 18:54 - Feb 17 with 1241 viewsBarsidepete

Can someone help me with a question that I can't answer, please. on 16:08 - Feb 17 by gerry_us

I hope you showed due reverence Noah even while being questioned about the Eagle.
My wife and I visited a couple of years ago and the place has an amazing feel to it and we were both very moved.

Wow. Forest meet trees. I hadn't seen the ColU badge like that yet till now.

Another weird thing is seeing the towers in old movies. Was in NYC Thanksgiving 2013. Full disclosure, haven't seen the memorial site yet. I do have a slightly burned lampshade (with its base) from the Pentagon 9-11 attack in the living room.

Mum rescued this from an officer who passed away, his office. She gave it to me for safe keeping.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024