Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
iTunes tekkie question 21:48 - Feb 17 with 3867 viewskingsburyR

Tekkie help needed....

The wife has 100 odd CD'S that we want to download onto iTunes so we can box them up for storage.

When I do this do it take up laptop memory or do they sit in a cloud somewhere?

Help!!! (And thanks in advance)

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

iTunes tekkie question on 22:07 - Feb 17 with 2812 viewsactonman

Well, I am about as much use with computers as I would be if you asked me to rewire the space shuttle but having transfered most of my old CDs onto iTunes and the subsequently wiping everything off my computer, the only thing that was retrievable was the stuff purchased from iTunes .

So in short and with no expert knowledge but in my experience, Apple don't give a fcuk about your CDs so they will stay on your computer unless you upgrade to the apple service which allows you to keep non iTunes purchased products in their cloud.

Can't remember what it's called. .. Apple plus or some bllox like that
iTunes tekkie question on 22:11 - Feb 17 with 2793 viewsTripper

The choice is yours, you can choose to store the collection locally on the laptop or store on iCloud. You get a few GB of storage space for free but your probably going to need to pay additional fee for additional storage space.

Alternatively you can buy an external hard drive and store your collection there.

Even better just subscribe to spotify and don't worry about any of it.
iTunes tekkie question on 22:15 - Feb 17 with 2779 viewskingsburyR

A) how much memory does 1 cd take up

B) if I save to external...how do I listen to them in future?

C) how much is Spotify?

iTunes tekkie question on 22:21 - Feb 17 with 2765 viewsTripper

iTunes tekkie question on 22:15 - Feb 17 by kingsburyR

A) how much memory does 1 cd take up

B) if I save to external...how do I listen to them in future?

C) how much is Spotify?

a. 100 CD's 30gb (guesstimate)
b. Plug into your laptop USB port.
c. About a tenner a month but you can get a free month trial to see if you think you'll benefit from it. This is for the premium service you can get the basic for free with ads etc.
iTunes tekkie question on 22:34 - Feb 17 with 2741 viewsJuzzie

Get a 1TB external hard drive, approx £40-50 from PCWorld. Makes sure it can be powered straight from the usb port rather than one that needs a power adaptor.

Plenty of room for 100's of CD's.

Rip the CD's at a decent quality, the higher the better. i'd go for 256kbps minimum or 320kbps for better still. Setting it to WAV is pure uncompressed CD quality. If you have plenty of space go for that. You can always downscale them later on, you can never upscale though.

Hard drives have so much capacity these days it's pointless compressing the fk out of them and they'll only sound sh@t when you play them.

I'm currenty working my way through a 25 year collection of hundreds and hundreds of CD's.
The ones i know arent worth much i give to the local charity shop and when the spring/summer comes i'll go to a car boot sale for the rest.

[Post edited 17 Feb 2016 22:45]
iTunes tekkie question on 22:40 - Feb 17 with 2728 viewsToast_R

Did the same recently. Ripped CD's on to my Macbook hard drive then copied to an external hard rive then dropped them into iTunes to save faffing about with the pathways if you just rip them straight to iTunes.

I bought myself one of those 3TB My Cloud drives which is all wireless so I can access music anywhere without having to plug any storage devices in. Can also access on my phone and all that bollocks. Good investment.
iTunes tekkie question on 22:47 - Feb 17 with 2711 viewsLblock

It's a bar steward all this as you get older hey?

Can I jump on your thread?
I have had an issue in the past where I just can't get my iPhone to configure the way I want it. Downloaded tunes stay in the cloud and I can't play them on my iPhone 5 without WiFi

So I'm just abouts to start a new job. Current employer as such picky fookers-- they actually want their iPhone back, swines! Sinive bought myself an iPhone 6.
Any tips for a bald geezer on seamless swap over for tunes, contacts etc etc???
Thanks in advance

I had a phone once, think it was a Samsung, that all you had to do was put it back to back with another phone and magic would happen. Before I've done all my phone swaps by Bluetooth but can't see how that works on apple

Paper cup and string is the order of the day

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

iTunes tekkie question on 08:44 - Feb 18 with 2586 viewslondonscottish

I'd personally avid Apple solutions as typically they make it easy to get stuff in but a real b*tch to get it back out.

I'd personally either do the external hard drive thing and then if I wanted them in the cloud Google Music.

And Spotify is a good idea. I listen to all my music in the premium service at 320kb/s (CD quality) and it's great.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Login to get fewer ads

iTunes tekkie question on 08:51 - Feb 18 with 2575 viewskingsburyR

Techno-dunce questions coming up:

1) If I hook up an external do I just drag and drop from CD or do I have to do it through iTunes?

2) Does Spotify have every album ever made??????????

iTunes tekkie question on 09:43 - Feb 18 with 2547 viewsA40Bosh

iTunes tekkie question on 08:51 - Feb 18 by kingsburyR

1) If I hook up an external do I just drag and drop from CD or do I have to do it through iTunes?

It has plenty of albums that should never have been made as well

but it does not have everything ever recorded

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

iTunes tekkie question on 10:35 - Feb 18 with 2501 viewsJuzzie

iTunes tekkie question on 08:51 - Feb 18 by kingsburyR

You'd have to rip it through itunes first then drag an drop the folders from iTunes (if a PC it'll usually be found in Libraries>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music) onto the hard drive.

Cloud services are all very good but you need wifi connection to listen/retrieve them. What if you don't have connection? At least with a hard drive you have it to hand.
Also, I'm still wary of not only the security aspects of your data but who else could be accessing it.
iTunes tekkie question on 10:45 - Feb 18 with 2491 viewsJalfrezi_Rs

recommend either an external hard drive, or a Flash Drive. Down to personnel preference which one

I went for the flash drive, as its like a memory stick. I use a Corsair 20GB Flashdrive, was about £12 on Amazon. Has over 2000 tracks and still has over 25% space left on it.

Most of my tunes are converted vinyl tracks and the flashdrive quality and speed is fine for me.

Spotify wont have most of my tunes
iTunes tekkie question on 11:24 - Feb 18 with 2459 viewssevenhoop

iTunes tekkie question on 22:47 - Feb 17 by Lblock

It's a bar steward all this as you get older hey?

Can I jump on your thread?
I have had an issue in the past where I just can't get my iPhone to configure the way I want it. Downloaded tunes stay in the cloud and I can't play them on my iPhone 5 without WiFi

So I'm just abouts to start a new job. Current employer as such picky fookers-- they actually want their iPhone back, swines! Sinive bought myself an iPhone 6.
Any tips for a bald geezer on seamless swap over for tunes, contacts etc etc???
Thanks in advance

I had a phone once, think it was a Samsung, that all you had to do was put it back to back with another phone and magic would happen. Before I've done all my phone swaps by Bluetooth but can't see how that works on apple

Paper cup and string is the order of the day

this issue has driven me mad with Apple and no-one you ever talk to understands ITunes. I've spent hours on the phone to them

you used to be able to connect the iphone to your pc/mac where your iTunes library is stored and press "sync" and all purchased and cd tunes would automatically download onto your phone. That doesn't seem possible now. I have physically almost one-by-one downloaded over 7,000 tunes onto my phone (takes several nights) by gong through every play list ("library" should hold most, if not all) and press the download symbol. You'll then see the circle whirring round showing each tune downloading. it will say for lots of them 'unable to download' and you have to try again at the end
iTunes tekkie question on 11:27 - Feb 18 with 2456 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Get DBamp (decibel amplifier) burn with that program make them really loud if they are old, convert to MP3 and then transfer onto an external drive.

Used hardly any memory at all, you just need to delete the flac files after converting them to MP3.

I found it really easy and I'm a luddite with a very short fuse.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

iTunes tekkie question on 11:29 - Feb 18 with 2448 viewslondonscottish

iTunes tekkie question on 09:43 - Feb 18 by A40Bosh

It has plenty of albums that should never have been made as well

but it does not have everything ever recorded

When I was seeking out some very specific tunes for my 50th;

- Youtube had the lot (thanks my Frankie friends)
- Spotify had loads
- iTunes was rubbish

On that basis alone I'd avoid iTunes like the plague. But also because it's very closed and you get locked in without realising it.

iTunes tekkie question on 11:36 - Feb 18 with 2438 viewslondonscottish

Another Spotify point; as well as having music classified by artist, song and album there are tons and tons of playlists.

So you search on any genre you like and off you go.

Only the other day I stumbled across one called French House/Nu Disco/Funky and lo and behold I have a 615 song 47 hour CD quality playlist downloaded onto my phone (you don't have to be online to listen to Spotify.

But when I'm having dinner with the wife it might be some Blank & Jones/Chilltronica, Quiet Piano, or Spanish Guitar.

When she goes out it the Ruts's Greatest Hits (inspired by the thread here the other week).

It just goes on and on and on....

iTunes tekkie question on 11:40 - Feb 18 with 2434 viewspaulparker

Fcuk me , this thread makes as much sense as Chinese algebra
am I the only one on LFW who can just about flick on a light switch, who doesn't know how to download anything , never mind all of this iTunes , Android stuff Im just about over VHS players

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

iTunes tekkie question on 11:42 - Feb 18 with 2425 viewslondonscottish

iTunes tekkie question on 11:24 - Feb 18 by sevenhoop

this issue has driven me mad with Apple and no-one you ever talk to understands ITunes. I've spent hours on the phone to them

you used to be able to connect the iphone to your pc/mac where your iTunes library is stored and press "sync" and all purchased and cd tunes would automatically download onto your phone. That doesn't seem possible now. I have physically almost one-by-one downloaded over 7,000 tunes onto my phone (takes several nights) by gong through every play list ("library" should hold most, if not all) and press the download symbol. You'll then see the circle whirring round showing each tune downloading. it will say for lots of them 'unable to download' and you have to try again at the end

iTunes is a PITA.

I went through two years of hell trying to get it to do what I wanted in the early-mid 2000's before my second and final iPod died expensively.

If you want to buy the latest Celine Dione album it's great.

Otherwise I'd avoid. Spotify, Deezer, Google Music, Amazon Play are all much better

iTunes tekkie question on 11:46 - Feb 18 with 2420 viewslondonscottish

iTunes tekkie question on 11:40 - Feb 18 by paulparker

am I the only one on LFW who can just about flick on a light switch, who doesn't know how to download anything , never mind all of this iTunes , Android stuff Im just about over VHS players

It is great when you finally get your head round it. I'm a recent convert (ie over the last couple of years) and the upshot of it was that I was able to take a train to Brum and back the other day with the other day with the equivalent of 30 CD's of new house music on my phone.

It costs me £10/month

Bargain

iTunes tekkie question on 13:01 - Feb 18 with 2352 viewskingsburyR

Fella's, (and ladies)

I wasn't expecting such a detailed response.

Thanks very much. i'm off to PC World for an external this afternoon.

Lucky we're playing away this weekend!!!

iTunes tekkie question on 13:12 - Feb 18 with 2344 viewsstevec

Know the feeling.

The annoying thing is, it all sounds fascinating but I just can't get my head around it.
iTunes tekkie question on 13:27 - Feb 18 with 2323 viewsPunteR

I know the feeling. I'm slowly getting there. It used to be a lot easier just plugging the tape player straight into the amp and press play and record. I've lost loads of tunes I've downloaded. They're in my computerized computer somewhere.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

iTunes tekkie question on 13:29 - Feb 18 with 2320 viewsLblock

I do feel your pain...

Oh if only we could hark back to simpler days when the process was simple:-

1. Buy record at local store (our Our Price if you were a bit square!!!)

2. Break cellophane seal by rubbing on the thigh of your jeans.

3. Carefully slip the vinyl from the sleeve and place on SL1200 with dustmat

4. Put the needle on the record, put the needle on the record and the drum beat's go this dis....

And then it was the pay and record button and make copies for a dozen of your mates

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

iTunes tekkie question on 13:55 - Feb 18 with 2291 viewspaulparker

iTunes tekkie question on 13:29 - Feb 18 by Lblock

I do feel your pain...

Oh if only we could hark back to simpler days when the process was simple:-

1. Buy record at local store (our Our Price if you were a bit square!!!)

2. Break cellophane seal by rubbing on the thigh of your jeans.

3. Carefully slip the vinyl from the sleeve and place on SL1200 with dustmat

4. Put the needle on the record, put the needle on the record and the drum beat's go this dis....

And then it was the pay and record button and make copies for a dozen of your mates

That's the one Lblock
in all honesty I haven't advanced to far from this, I still don't think you can beat the feeling of buying vinyl and rushing home to get it on the turntable
ive got two iPods and still haven't worked out how to use them ( god I sound like arry Redcrapp here )

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

iTunes tekkie question on 14:04 - Feb 18 with 2278 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I refuse to have anything but an MP3 player.

My sister thinks I'm behind the times.

I got most of my old Vinyl at Notting Hill Gate. Cheap as chips.

have this, mint condition in it's tower Records Sheaf..£90!!! think I'll keep mine.

http://www.betteronvinyl.co.uk/soundgarden-the-day-i-tried

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024