Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Gower 22:21 - Feb 13 with 8311 viewshitchinjack

Just spoken to Mark Gower's aunt who lives close to me. I asked how he was and and she said he was well. He is currently working for Liverpool FC scouting Dutch players. He now lives back in Essex and is popping over to holland every weekend. I am always interested in what ex players get up to and the fact that there are so many jobs available for ex footballers even if not high profile ones.
Mark Gower on 12:22 - Feb 14 with 2691 viewsjack247

Mark Gower on 12:16 - Feb 14 by Wingstandwood

I must elaborate further I am not talking about these players when they were contracted to play at lower divisions they were comfortable/capable of playing at!

I am talking about players that were insanely awarded charity-case status contracts at a later date at a level(s) where they were impostors.

Just think?.... after leaving two of the three went into immediate retirement from the professional game and the other one only made a handful of appearances and went into immediate retirement himself. The (*hint, hint, hint*) fact no other full time professional club wanted their services sorts of back up my claim.

Thankfully I reckon we wont be seeing any of that money wasting sentimental bullsh#t from PC!

Gower was very good for us in the PL. He probably wouldn't have got near anyone else's team, but he fitted the way we played at the time perfectly.

I'd agree with you on Butler and KoL.

I wouldn't worry about Clement. I'm sure you can accuse him of being many things, but I doubt sentimental is one of them. He is way too focussed and driven.
Mark Gower on 12:57 - Feb 14 with 2589 viewsRichythejack

A Prime example of a player who didn't have a lot of ability but fitted our system. Always gave 100% too like many other who helped us rise up the leagues. We would kill for players like this now rather than the money grabbing ones we have. Sometimes committed and playing your part in the team outweighs the big money names

Poll: Should Darran be banned from the forums?

Mark Gower on 12:59 - Feb 14 with 2581 viewsswancity

Mark Gower on 12:16 - Feb 14 by Wingstandwood

I must elaborate further I am not talking about these players when they were contracted to play at lower divisions they were comfortable/capable of playing at!

I am talking about players that were insanely awarded charity-case status contracts at a later date at a level(s) where they were impostors.

Just think?.... after leaving two of the three went into immediate retirement from the professional game and the other one only made a handful of appearances and went into immediate retirement himself. The (*hint, hint, hint*) fact no other full time professional club wanted their services sorts of back up my claim.

Thankfully I reckon we wont be seeing any of that money wasting sentimental bullsh#t from PC!

Disagree completely. They were all good honest reliable professionals who served our club well with great attitudes. You always need squad players who don't rock the boat and who train well and are ready when needed. They all did that and great credit to them all. In Gowers case especially he played in the Premier League and did well for us. Very well in fact.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Mark Gower on 13:02 - Feb 14 with 2573 viewsDarran

Mark Gower on 12:59 - Feb 14 by swancity

Disagree completely. They were all good honest reliable professionals who served our club well with great attitudes. You always need squad players who don't rock the boat and who train well and are ready when needed. They all did that and great credit to them all. In Gowers case especially he played in the Premier League and did well for us. Very well in fact.

Gower played very well for us?

Leave the drugs alone yeah.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2017 14:18]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Mark Gower on 13:11 - Feb 14 with 2544 viewsjack247

Mark Gower on 13:02 - Feb 14 by Darran

Gower played very well for us?

Leave the drugs alone yeah.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2017 14:18]

He did. Only for season in the PL, but he did.
Mark Gower on 13:45 - Feb 14 with 2472 viewsKerouac

I know somebody who played with Mark Gower as a youth player. He said that Gower was head and shoulders the best young player in London at the time and in, his opinion, England.
Clubs were lining up to offer him a pro contract and at Spurs he was expected to come through...
it obviously went wrong for Gower personally, having to drop down the divisions to get regular 1st team football, but boy was it a gift for us.
He adapted and proved an important first team player for us right the way through our rise from L1 to the Prem and as far as I am concerned he ended up fulfilling his potential and playing at the level he deserved to be at....with us, in the Premier League.

Saying all that, his free kick taking used to piss me right off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Mark Gower on 14:19 - Feb 14 with 2408 viewsDarran

Mark Gower on 13:11 - Feb 14 by jack247

He did. Only for season in the PL, but he did.

Nonsense.

Mark Gower on 14:21 - Feb 14 with 2398 viewsDarran

Serious question how many PL games did Gower start for us?

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Gower on 14:31 - Feb 14 with 2378 viewsjack247

Mark Gower on 14:21 - Feb 14 by Darran

Mark Gower on 14:32 - Feb 14 with 2375 viewsKerouac

Mark Gower on 14:21 - Feb 14 by Darran

About 20 games in 1st Prem season.
Only the 1 in the second season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Mark Gower on 14:34 - Feb 14 with 2361 viewsDarran

Mark Gower on 14:31 - Feb 14 by jack247

He started 20?

Mark Gower on 14:45 - Feb 14 with 2344 viewsjack247

Mark Gower on 14:31 - Feb 14 by jack247

That's just appearances. Can't remember him coming off the bench that often. I may be wrong
Mark Gower on 15:08 - Feb 14 with 2297 viewsUppa_Swans

Some absolute rubbish being spouted here by Wingstandwood.

From what I remember, the main reason for retaining Butler, KOL and to a lesser extent Gower (when they were past their best) was for squad morale. It's also partly why Routledge has signed a recent contract too IMO. Unspectacular, nonthreatening, decent fellas to have around the dressing room whose sustained service for the club helps newer additions settle into the wider environment. Before anyone criticises this as handing out contracts for charity, realise that these players are few and far between and are never the highest earners in the squad. So it's no biggie at all really.

Dortmund kept Sebastian Kehl on for this very reason as they won their 2 successive Bundesliga titles a few yrs back.
Mark Gower on 15:11 - Feb 14 with 2279 viewsDarran

Mark Gower on 15:08 - Feb 14 by Uppa_Swans

Some absolute rubbish being spouted here by Wingstandwood.

From what I remember, the main reason for retaining Butler, KOL and to a lesser extent Gower (when they were past their best) was for squad morale. It's also partly why Routledge has signed a recent contract too IMO. Unspectacular, nonthreatening, decent fellas to have around the dressing room whose sustained service for the club helps newer additions settle into the wider environment. Before anyone criticises this as handing out contracts for charity, realise that these players are few and far between and are never the highest earners in the squad. So it's no biggie at all really.

Dortmund kept Sebastian Kehl on for this very reason as they won their 2 successive Bundesliga titles a few yrs back.

Yeah I remember now we signed Butler because he told good jokes.

Mark Gower on 15:13 - Feb 14 with 2271 viewsUppa_Swans

Mark Gower on 15:11 - Feb 14 by Darran

Yeah I remember now we signed Butler because he told good jokes.

Whooosh.
Mark Gower on 15:15 - Feb 14 with 1676 viewsDarran

Mark Gower on 15:13 - Feb 14 by Uppa_Swans

Whooosh.

I was agreeing with you.

Mark Gower on 15:35 - Feb 14 with 1659 viewsperchrockjack

At least gower smashed a scouse shite hawk with that effort at goal.

Still causes chuckles at anfield apparently

Ball ended up bust like Johnny Summers of Charlton fame.

Basic Astro physics

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Mark Gower on 15:52 - Feb 14 with 1632 viewsNaughty71

Mark Gower on 07:23 - Feb 14 by jack247

Paul Reid is/was a postman if that helps

Off the top of my head, postmen or ex-postmen that I have worked with:

Herbie Williams - Retired
Nigel Dalling - Retired
Gary Richards - Coaching the Under 21s
Nigel Stevenson - ?
Nigel French - Still a postman
Gary Emmanuel - Still a postman
Mark Baker - My postman!

There has to be others, Royal Mail seems to be a repository of ex footballers from the 70s and 80s (apart from Herbie, who led the way!)

"Who scored that Naughty?", "I don't know, I've forgotten my bl**dy glasses again!".

Mark Gower on 16:01 - Feb 14 with 1614 viewsicecoldjack

Mark Gower on 13:45 - Feb 14 by Kerouac

I know somebody who played with Mark Gower as a youth player. He said that Gower was head and shoulders the best young player in London at the time and in, his opinion, England.
Clubs were lining up to offer him a pro contract and at Spurs he was expected to come through...
it obviously went wrong for Gower personally, having to drop down the divisions to get regular 1st team football, but boy was it a gift for us.
He adapted and proved an important first team player for us right the way through our rise from L1 to the Prem and as far as I am concerned he ended up fulfilling his potential and playing at the level he deserved to be at....with us, in the Premier League.

Saying all that, his free kick taking used to piss me right off

Like a million other youth players that don't make it in terms of reaching the top top level.

Didn't mind Gower, did ok with us, nothing special considering we thought we were signing a midfield goal machine from Southend!
Was steady in our system when entering the Premier league, but definitely like a few others stayed far too long and caused the club a lot of unintentional problems with player power etc.

I will get shot down for it but players that stayed too long for me ..
Monk
Tate
Gower
Butler
KOL

Time will tell if we've made the same mistake with

Dyer
Leon
Rangel
Routs

Didn't Rodgers extend Butlers contract because he "was good in the dressing room " ? ffs !

All great servant s all played their part, all got paid stacks of cash along the way too and all would have left the Swans in a heartbeat if a better offer came in from any other team.
Mark Gower on 16:21 - Feb 14 with 1591 viewsWingstandwood

Mark Gower on 16:01 - Feb 14 by icecoldjack

Like a million other youth players that don't make it in terms of reaching the top top level.

Didn't mind Gower, did ok with us, nothing special considering we thought we were signing a midfield goal machine from Southend!
Was steady in our system when entering the Premier league, but definitely like a few others stayed far too long and caused the club a lot of unintentional problems with player power etc.

Monk
Tate
Gower
Butler
KOL

Dyer
Leon
Rangel
Routs

Didn't Rodgers extend Butlers contract because he "was good in the dressing room " ? ffs !

All great servant s all played their part, all got paid stacks of cash along the way too and all would have left the Swans in a heartbeat if a better offer came in from any other team.

Excellent take bang on! Your analysis is based upon logic, truth and common sense and is not poisoned by sentimentality, denial,confirmation-bias etc.

There is the odd one or two on here that would go bust in a day if they were to ever become stock market traders cos their emotions and hearts truly rule their heads!

Argus!

Mark Gower on 16:35 - Feb 14 with 1570 viewsjack247

Mark Gower on 16:01 - Feb 14 by icecoldjack

Monk
Tate
Gower
Butler
KOL

Dyer
Leon
Rangel
Routs

Most of that I agree with. Particularly the bit at the end regarding Leon, Rangel and Routs. Relying on players too long will cost us at some point, even if it doesn't this season.

I'd disagree on Gower, because he actually did well in our first PL season and was then immediately replaced by Laudrup before the decline set in. I'd also disagree on Dyer because he may have lost his way a bit, but he is 29. Still has a bit of time on his side.
Mark Gower on 16:42 - Feb 14 with 1567 viewsperchrockjack

He was bang average a

He had nice hair ,loved his mum and was kind to animals

No reason to herald him as anything other than average at best

It insults much better players of yore we ve had when he s praised as he is.

Eg, Herbie who was head and shoulders above him but whom hardly gets mentioned on here as a former player

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Mark Gower on 17:44 - Feb 14 with 1521 viewsDarran

Gower started 14 Prem games in that first season.

Mark Gower on 18:34 - Feb 14 with 1485 viewsJack_Kass

A player who in 20 years, can sit in his chair, with a pipe and slippers, and think to himself, "Holy f**k I was lucky to play in the top league"

How the hell we survived that season with our squad containing the likes of

Gower
Butler
Orlandi
Agustien
Moore
Tate

is either a management masterclass, or just a miracle.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Mark Gower on 19:08 - Feb 14 with 1465 viewsjack247

Mark Gower on 18:34 - Feb 14 by Jack_Kass

A player who in 20 years, can sit in his chair, with a pipe and slippers, and think to himself, "Holy f**k I was lucky to play in the top league"

How the hell we survived that season with our squad containing the likes of

Gower
Butler
Orlandi
Agustien
Moore
Tate

is either a management masterclass, or just a miracle.

He was suited to the way we played at the time. Butler, Orlandi and Tate were too, but just didn't have the sharpness to adapt to the step up to the PL, hence they hardly ever played. Agustien I agree with you on. Moore was no worse than most of the back up strikers we have had since
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024