Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Davies 20:43 - Sep 12 with 7650 viewsKnowlesy

Can we now do away with this fallacy that Davies knows where the back of the net is because I've seen him touch the ball three times today, twice it's bounced off him and the other to pass tamely into the keeper's arms from the spot. He offers nothing and is a shadow of the player from last season. Hopefully in the second half he can come off and we can have 11v11.

I'm not scapegoating him but I just don't get why anybody can think he deserves a starting place when he's been awful all season.
Davies on 15:10 - Sep 14 with 1667 viewspioneer

Davies on 13:57 - Sep 14 by dingdangblue

Davies also set up Rathbone's shot which led to the pen (yes I know he missed it).
He also set up Kitching's volleyed goal and obviously was in the right place to score the winner. Yes he might not have done much else but 3 occasions he was involved led to goals/goal attempts. He may just be a Matt Le Tissier type of player who doesn't contribute for 75% of a game but the 25% he does is special.

There was an old bloke lived round the corner from me when I was a kid who absolutely hated Reg Jenkins. Whenever i argued 'but he scores 15 or more goals every season' his response was always 'but how many does he miss'?.

With folks like that you just can't win.
Davies on 16:10 - Sep 14 with 1569 viewsReddale

I have always liked Davis, but think he performs better with Andrew rather than a lone forward. As with all our players if he didn't have limitations (injury prone in his case), he probably wouldn't be playing for us.

Late in the game Davies jumped under a header in front of the main stand (and me), drawing a frustrated "for f**k sake Davies". A very polite and otherwise very quiet young lady in front of me took exception. She claimed to be his sister, she was certainly delighted when he scored. It seems that Steve (along with most of the team) is still far from match fit as a result of the "bug" that appears to have "ripped through" the squad.

Whilst this doesn't excuse the penalty miss, it does explain his and other players apparent lack of fitness, and perhaps the below par performance(s).

Certainly a result to remember, I don't think his sister will forget it in a hurry.

Reading this thread I'm not the only one to have muttered "what difference will that make" when Kitching came on. Perhaps that explains why I'm an Energy Manager and Keith's a Football Manager.
Davies on 16:16 - Sep 14 with 1553 viewsD_Alien

Davies on 16:10 - Sep 14 by Reddale

I have always liked Davis, but think he performs better with Andrew rather than a lone forward. As with all our players if he didn't have limitations (injury prone in his case), he probably wouldn't be playing for us.

Late in the game Davies jumped under a header in front of the main stand (and me), drawing a frustrated "for f**k sake Davies". A very polite and otherwise very quiet young lady in front of me took exception. She claimed to be his sister, she was certainly delighted when he scored. It seems that Steve (along with most of the team) is still far from match fit as a result of the "bug" that appears to have "ripped through" the squad.

Whilst this doesn't excuse the penalty miss, it does explain his and other players apparent lack of fitness, and perhaps the below par performance(s).

Certainly a result to remember, I don't think his sister will forget it in a hurry.

Reading this thread I'm not the only one to have muttered "what difference will that make" when Kitching came on. Perhaps that explains why I'm an Energy Manager and Keith's a Football Manager.

Enjoyed reading that

If your energy firm could bottle the energy in those 90+4 celebrations (players & spectators) your job would be much easier!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Davies on 16:58 - Sep 14 with 1490 viewsDaleiLama

The case for.

Firstly, I would say that a player not clicking in a team full of players playing at their best is a different animal to Davies struggling in a team which is struggling, and which has been a long way off a best XI, let alone what a best XI in mid-season form is capable of. Furthermore, if he is anything less than 100% in himself, that's further mitigation for a drop off in form from last season. I would also suggest that he oughtn't to be singled out in this category.

Secondly, as others have mentioned, he is our main goal-scoring threat. We have scored 6 and conceded 14 in all competitions. Without his 4 goals, we'd be in even more dire straits. It could be argued that he missed a pen, and also that A. N. Other would've scored that pen and/or the two Davies scored, had Davies not been playing. As DDB pointed out though, he does more than just score goals. He has been instrumental in our attacking play (such as it has been) and also goes back to defend set pieces where someone of his stature and ability to head the ball can be invaluable (like he did in the Donny game). This a comment from the Scunny match report "After the break, Dale improved with the introduction of striker Steven Davies and his diving header gave the home side the lead". He also scored a very good goal in the last pre-season game at Morecambe ....... counts for nothing now I know, but what else can we ask a goal-scorer to do?

Finally, it's not as if we have a huge squad of fit players at their peak who might supplant him at present.

Not having a dig Knowlesy, I enjoy your contributions to the forum, but I agree with Shun. We need his goals more than ever whilst we are playing "backs to the wall" footy. When we start to play more like we are capable of doing and get more players back fit, I'm sure Keith will start ringing the changes then from both a squad rotation and motivation point of view. For now though, if Davies has the strength to tie his own bootlaces, he gets in my starting XI out of necessity.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 17:22]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Davies on 17:46 - Sep 14 with 1419 viewsnordenblue

Davies on 16:58 - Sep 14 by DaleiLama

The case for.

Firstly, I would say that a player not clicking in a team full of players playing at their best is a different animal to Davies struggling in a team which is struggling, and which has been a long way off a best XI, let alone what a best XI in mid-season form is capable of. Furthermore, if he is anything less than 100% in himself, that's further mitigation for a drop off in form from last season. I would also suggest that he oughtn't to be singled out in this category.

Secondly, as others have mentioned, he is our main goal-scoring threat. We have scored 6 and conceded 14 in all competitions. Without his 4 goals, we'd be in even more dire straits. It could be argued that he missed a pen, and also that A. N. Other would've scored that pen and/or the two Davies scored, had Davies not been playing. As DDB pointed out though, he does more than just score goals. He has been instrumental in our attacking play (such as it has been) and also goes back to defend set pieces where someone of his stature and ability to head the ball can be invaluable (like he did in the Donny game). This a comment from the Scunny match report "After the break, Dale improved with the introduction of striker Steven Davies and his diving header gave the home side the lead". He also scored a very good goal in the last pre-season game at Morecambe ....... counts for nothing now I know, but what else can we ask a goal-scorer to do?

Finally, it's not as if we have a huge squad of fit players at their peak who might supplant him at present.

Not having a dig Knowlesy, I enjoy your contributions to the forum, but I agree with Shun. We need his goals more than ever whilst we are playing "backs to the wall" footy. When we start to play more like we are capable of doing and get more players back fit, I'm sure Keith will start ringing the changes then from both a squad rotation and motivation point of view. For now though, if Davies has the strength to tie his own bootlaces, he gets in my starting XI out of necessity.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 17:22]

Very good post,for me a player who consistently scores is ALWAYS worth his place even more so when the teams not yet firing properly,he puts a real shift in and some of his hold up play is superb whilst getting battered constantly,keep up the good work and keep banging the goals in... he reminds me more and more of Holty the more I watch him and a very clever pro
Davies on 19:07 - Sep 14 with 1325 viewsscarrow

I thought Davies was poor Tuesday night but he showed why he's needed. He is Dale's only genuine goal poacher.

Poll: Final position

Davies on 19:44 - Sep 14 with 1274 views49thseason

If you watch the video of the winning goal on Tuesday, Davis doesn't attack the ball at the corner, instead, he sets off on a huge circumnavigation round the back of the ruck in the goal mouth and arrives at the back post at exactly the right moment. I don't think it's coachable, it's just an instinct for where to be and when. We assume because he is a big lad he must be a good header of the ball and a natural target man, but maybe he is a goal poacher rather than a provider.
Davies on 07:36 - Sep 15 with 1125 viewsaleanddale

Davies is a class act - of that there is no doubt.

The bug / not 100% match fit / being asked to do a role that's not his best position all contribute to being a difficult watch.

Hill has asked him to do a role and I think he is delivering what Hilly wants to a tee.

He definitely contributes - in spades - and that ability to get the ball over the line and between the sticks? yep he has that too.
Login to get fewer ads

Davies on 16:26 - Sep 15 with 1003 viewslove_the_dale

Davies on 16:10 - Sep 14 by Reddale

She would be the lady standing by the wall at the end. He had the biggest smile imaginable on his face as he saw her and ran for about 10 yards with arms outstretched to give her such a huge hug.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024