Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? 12:41 - Nov 5 with 6928 viewsrdaleouis

Inspired from Bromley's positive and enthusiastic support yesterday, I once again feel inclined to look further into grassroots football and local non league teams alike. Does anybody feel this inclination? If so, are there any non league teams you watch/support as well as the Dale? Never have been a fan of supporting a massive premier league club as well as the Dale but I feel the chance to support a smaller club would benefit the whole of grassroots football.
Non League Football - Who Do You on 12:58 - Nov 5 with 5674 viewsaleanddale

Give me a northern Bromley every day off the week over Manchester red and blue brands.

But for the grace of God we are only 2 steps from Bromley ourselves so happy to channel all my energies into the Dale.
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 13:32 - Nov 5 with 5628 views1mark1

Rochdale Town would be the obvious choice.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 13:38 - Nov 5 with 5614 viewsD_Alien

Slightly off topic, but given the overall rise in standards in football as a result of young players starting out at top level clubs before struggling to make an impact, so filtering down through the leagues (think Rafferty, Rathbone), watching Bromley yesterday would've been like watching Dale during our days in the lower reaches of the fourth tier

I suppose the word which might best apply would be "workmanlike" - and nothing wrong with that

Seeing our lads zip the ball across the turf, and launch several searching crossfield passes, plus the dynamic interchanging in close spaces would've been about the standard of championship football not too long ago

So back to topic - watching and supporting non-league isn't what it was. It's a half-decent standard, and if we take Bromley fans feedback at their word that they weren't at their best (limited mainly by our own pace and guile), it's not necessary to support premier league clubs in order to watch good football wherever you live

I heard one comment in the Sandy about "I wouldn't like to watch this lot (Bromley) every week" but that's misguided - they were playing a team two divisions further up the pyramid, released from league concerns to express themselves, and a joy it was to watch!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 13:42 - Nov 5 with 5610 viewsrdaleouis

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 13:32 - Nov 5 by 1mark1

Rochdale Town would be the obvious choice.

They folded last year I believe...?
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 14:00 - Nov 5 with 5556 views1mark1

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 13:42 - Nov 5 by rdaleouis

They folded last year I believe...?

Bloody ell , so they did. So it would have to be any other of the local Rochdale Area teams. Certainly not any of the Manchester, Salford, ones.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 15:00 - Nov 5 with 5471 viewsdingdangblue

Woking

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 15:40 - Nov 5 with 5426 viewschalkyncfc

I sometimes venture over to Eagle Valley to watch Arnold Town play if Notts are away,they was the first club that I ever supported
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 15:59 - Nov 5 with 5397 viewspioneer

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 15:00 - Nov 5 by dingdangblue

Woking

more generally, whoever are drawn to play the black puddings.
Login to get fewer ads

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 18:35 - Nov 5 with 5295 viewssoulboy

Whichever team's playing Salford or FCSCUM
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 19:35 - Nov 5 with 5223 viewsfermin

I have been going to see my local non-league side, Oxford City, for quite a few years now - just a short walk from where I live. Went to both their third and fourth qualifying round wins. Given their woeful league form I decided going to Colchester was a complete waste of time - I could not believe it when I heard the result. An away game against them would be great, if somewhat weird, for me. The game would be on an artifical pitch as at Maidstone.
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 20:42 - Nov 5 with 5154 viewsnordenblue

Keep an eye out for Salfords results now living round those parts
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 22:12 - Nov 5 with 5088 viewsoddjob007

Been to see Altrincham a couple of times (too young to empathise with the historic rivalry between the clubs.)

To be honest, if I’m going to watch dross I’d rather watch my own team’s dross. Wasn’t much difference between a bad afternoon at the Dale to an afternoon at Moss Lane.
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 04:00 - Nov 6 with 4997 viewsdownunder

Hurunui Rangers FC.

No idea what level... pub team? There are many South American migrants working on the farms around here, so there are some really talented players around.
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 09:31 - Nov 6 with 4892 viewsFrog

I used to live on Pilling Lane in Chorley and could see half the pitch from one of the bedroom windows, my niece's husband used to play for them too, so that's my non-league team.
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 09:37 - Nov 6 with 4891 viewsSandyDrum

Speaking of non-league

I went to Guiseley v Accrington yesterday and it was all a bit bizarre.

For starters there was a dog dressed as a lion in the home stand (I was in the away end but the segregation was a small wire fence).

Their fans were odd, the stand out comment was when an Accy shot went over the bar; "Are you sure you're not a rugby team? I know there's plenty of them in Lancashire."
Bearing in mind Guiseley is probably no more than 20 miles from Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, Castleford, Keighley and Halifax I couldn't help feel that was a bit rich...

Andy Howarth was a late sub for Guiseley, he came on in all his glory wearing gloves and did absolutely nothing.

Dreadful game but another ground ticked off.

Back on topic, I like to follow Dulwich Hamlet and Swindon Supermarine for no other reason than I followed them on Twitter many moons ago and I started following their results.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 11:18 - Nov 6 with 4821 viewsrochdaleriddler

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 09:37 - Nov 6 by SandyDrum

Speaking of non-league

I went to Guiseley v Accrington yesterday and it was all a bit bizarre.

For starters there was a dog dressed as a lion in the home stand (I was in the away end but the segregation was a small wire fence).

Their fans were odd, the stand out comment was when an Accy shot went over the bar; "Are you sure you're not a rugby team? I know there's plenty of them in Lancashire."
Bearing in mind Guiseley is probably no more than 20 miles from Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, Castleford, Keighley and Halifax I couldn't help feel that was a bit rich...

Andy Howarth was a late sub for Guiseley, he came on in all his glory wearing gloves and did absolutely nothing.

Dreadful game but another ground ticked off.

Back on topic, I like to follow Dulwich Hamlet and Swindon Supermarine for no other reason than I followed them on Twitter many moons ago and I started following their results.

I hear you can print off your own tickets and turnstile tommy scans them with a phone , but of course we can't afford such stuff here in league one, much better that people have to rock up during the week and buy them in person

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 11:38 - Nov 6 with 4803 viewschalkyncfc

If you buy your ticket online at Notts then you just download it to your phone and they scan it at the turnstiles or you can choose to pick it up in person at the ticket office, I thought that everywhere did this now
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 12:07 - Nov 6 with 4778 viewsrochdaleriddler

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 11:38 - Nov 6 by chalkyncfc

If you buy your ticket online at Notts then you just download it to your phone and they scan it at the turnstiles or you can choose to pick it up in person at the ticket office, I thought that everywhere did this now

We dont

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 12:19 - Nov 6 with 4771 viewschalkyncfc

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 12:07 - Nov 6 by rochdaleriddler

We dont

So I gather
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 12:32 - Nov 6 with 4755 viewsEllDale

I always keep an eye open for Lancaster City's results having been a student up there.
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 14:21 - Nov 6 with 4701 viewsScunnydale

I've always kept an eye out for Salford's results (birthplace) but I feel a bit sordid about that now, coming from an ABU family.

Locally, I look out for Goole and York's results. I always enjoyed going to the latter with Dale (apart from the away end) — used to go in the home end when they played Hull. Plus, my nephew plays for their academy now, so I'm hoping they start moving back up the leagues.
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 17:10 - Nov 6 with 4649 viewsFatCat

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 19:35 - Nov 5 by fermin

I have been going to see my local non-league side, Oxford City, for quite a few years now - just a short walk from where I live. Went to both their third and fourth qualifying round wins. Given their woeful league form I decided going to Colchester was a complete waste of time - I could not believe it when I heard the result. An away game against them would be great, if somewhat weird, for me. The game would be on an artifical pitch as at Maidstone.

fermin
I actually went to that game.
Colchester are less than twenty miles from where I live.
Oxford deserved it and their small band of supporters made more noise than the home fans (crammed into one open stand).

I follow my local non-league side Witham Town as I have given up on the Premiership (lapsed Hammers Fan).
The cost has put me off.
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 07:51 - Nov 8 with 4492 viewsEllDale

Apologies for revisiting this one but I realised over the weekend that when I'm scanning non-league scorelines and tables I subconsciously look out for several clubs.

There all share a common denominator in as much as they are all former Football League clubs who were within travelling distance of Ellen Smith coaches when I was growing up in the 1960's.

They include Barrow, Workington, Southport, Chester, Tranmere, Stockport, Bradford Park Avenue, Halifax, York, Darlington and Hartlepool. I'm too young to remember Gateshead. To my mind they are genuine clubs in genuine northern towns.

I may be a dinosaur but I struggle to regard the likes of Stevenage, Crawley, Yeovil and Cheltenham (or even Fleetwood and Morecambe) as genuine bona fide FL clubs.

It shows how many proud clubs have gone down the plughole though. There but for the grace of God we could have gone I suppose. I presume that there must be fans of these clubs who are now of a certain age who remember the good times there.
Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 11:40 - Nov 8 with 4372 viewsD_Alien

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 07:51 - Nov 8 by EllDale

Apologies for revisiting this one but I realised over the weekend that when I'm scanning non-league scorelines and tables I subconsciously look out for several clubs.

There all share a common denominator in as much as they are all former Football League clubs who were within travelling distance of Ellen Smith coaches when I was growing up in the 1960's.

They include Barrow, Workington, Southport, Chester, Tranmere, Stockport, Bradford Park Avenue, Halifax, York, Darlington and Hartlepool. I'm too young to remember Gateshead. To my mind they are genuine clubs in genuine northern towns.

I may be a dinosaur but I struggle to regard the likes of Stevenage, Crawley, Yeovil and Cheltenham (or even Fleetwood and Morecambe) as genuine bona fide FL clubs.

It shows how many proud clubs have gone down the plughole though. There but for the grace of God we could have gone I suppose. I presume that there must be fans of these clubs who are now of a certain age who remember the good times there.

Good post, actually, and i know exactly what you mean about those clubs who were part of our younger Dale-supporting lives seeming to be more legit FL teams than the newbies

I was too young to remember Accrington's demise - after playing Dale (so it's not just managers who're doomed after playing us!) - but they have history and roots in tradition along with others you've mentioned, where the blokes used to pile out of mills and foundries on Saturday lunchtime, down a few pints and head to their local terraces, before heading home for tea to their erm, local terraces. It was their main form of escapism, and probably applied to southern clubs too, the likes of Portsmouth and West Ham

Somehow, places like Crawley, Cheltenham and (especially) MK Dons don't ring true as places where football grew up from the soil. I'll except Yeovil, who had a famous victory over Arsenal in a 1930s FA Cup tie, so have that tradition as part of the footballing folk memory

It'd be great to see Halifax, York, Darlo back in the league. Stockport, I'm not so sure about!

[Post edited 8 Nov 2017 11:47]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Non League Football - Who Do You Support? on 16:56 - Nov 8 with 4213 views_dezzy

Stockport County

KHBA

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024