Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First trip to Bury 17:24 - Mar 28 with 11755 viewsJames1980

On Tuesday I will be making my first trip to Bury to cheer on Dale from the away end. Any top tips to make my trip as smooth and enjoyable as possible. Both practical and amusing tips are expected.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

First trip to Bury on 23:48 - Mar 28 with 2874 viewsJames1980

First trip to Bury on 21:59 - Mar 28 by TVOS1907

Take care walking to the ground from the town centre, James.

Well that hasn't got the old anxiety dialled up to 11

First trip to Bury on 11:00 - Mar 29 with 2704 viewsBURYFC_1885

First trip to Bury on 23:48 - Mar 28 by James1980

I think you’ve chosen the wrong hobby James if a bit of pre match needle gives you anxiety. There will be no trouble anyway.
First trip to Bury on 11:17 - Mar 29 with 2683 viewsJames1980

First trip to Bury on 11:00 - Mar 29 by BURYFC_1885

I think you’ve chosen the wrong hobby James if a bit of pre match needle gives you anxiety. There will be no trouble anyway.

That's good to hear. But why should a degree of anxiety mean I shouldn't enjoy football? By planning ahead by checking routes asking advice etc it makes for a more enjoyable experience.

First trip to Bury on 11:29 - Mar 29 with 2658 viewsDaleiLama

First trip to Bury on 11:17 - Mar 29 by James1980

That's good to hear. But why should a degree of anxiety mean I shouldn't enjoy football? By planning ahead by checking routes asking advice etc it makes for a more enjoyable experience.

This was a regular fixture on my calendar when I was courting a Bury lass. A bloke on his own, wearing no colours, walking in the same direction as others to the ground and minding his own business would be incredibly unlucky to encounter trouble. If you are of a particularly nervous disposition you could saunter along behind a family group (as long as you aren't wearing a mac). If there are any scroats looking for trouble, I'm sure they'll be looking for our "fans" of a similar disposition. Should be plenty of coppers around too. I wouldn't be worried at all if I were you. Usual rules - blend in, don't make eye contact and look as if you know where you're going and you'll be fine.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

First trip to Bury on 11:31 - Mar 29 with 2655 viewsD_Alien

First trip to Bury on 11:17 - Mar 29 by James1980

No need for anxiety as such James, it's just a matter of being aware of what's going on around you, and looking like you know where you're going - even if you don't!

Enjoy the game and the trip

Edit: just read your post Dalei, beat me to it!
[Post edited 29 Mar 2018 11:34]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

First trip to Bury on 11:54 - Mar 29 with 2615 viewsJames1980

Thank you guys

First trip to Bury on 12:25 - Mar 29 with 2587 viewsScunnydale

First trip to Bury on 11:29 - Mar 29 by DaleiLama

This was a regular fixture on my calendar when I was courting a Bury lass. A bloke on his own, wearing no colours, walking in the same direction as others to the ground and minding his own business would be incredibly unlucky to encounter trouble. If you are of a particularly nervous disposition you could saunter along behind a family group (as long as you aren't wearing a mac). If there are any scroats looking for trouble, I'm sure they'll be looking for our "fans" of a similar disposition. Should be plenty of coppers around too. I wouldn't be worried at all if I were you. Usual rules - blend in, don't make eye contact and look as if you know where you're going and you'll be fine.

Absolutely. When I first went to Bury sometime in the mid-2000s, there was a bit of a kerfuffle (or maybe a tiff) after the match. As a person on my own, I just zipped up my coat to cover my colours and walked on by all nonchalant like. While probably not a 100% foolproof method, it's stood me in good stead at other matches, such as Hull.
First trip to Bury on 12:28 - Mar 29 with 2577 viewsTVOS1907

First trip to Bury on 23:48 - Mar 28 by James1980

Having met you, James, you'll be fine.

I just think our Bury chum is being a tad optimistic that no numpties will turn up.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

First trip to Bury on 13:59 - Mar 29 with 2512 viewsJames1980

First trip to Bury on 12:28 - Mar 29 by TVOS1907

Having met you, James, you'll be fine.

I just think our Bury chum is being a tad optimistic that no numpties will turn up.

Cheers TVOS will take all advice on board and do my best to blend in.

First trip to Bury on 14:04 - Mar 29 with 2501 viewsJames1980

Just a thought although one with many ifs but here goes.
If Northampton and the frannies both lose and Dale and Bury both win, will that make Tuesday a more interesing game?

First trip to Bury on 16:52 - Mar 29 with 2381 viewsaleanddale

First trip to Bury on 14:04 - Mar 29 by James1980

Just a thought although one with many ifs but here goes.
If Northampton and the frannies both lose and Dale and Bury both win, will that make Tuesday a more interesing game?

a little.

we need to win on Friday though.

If the scenario you describe pans out and the gigglers fluke a win over us then they could only 4 points from safety
First trip to Bury on 16:57 - Mar 29 with 2371 viewsfrenzied

Theres still all to play for ,cant see anything but a very committed performance from both sides..until the fat lady sings both Bury and Dale will give it everything..a boring 0 0 stalemate I cannot envisage at all James.....
First trip to Bury on 17:54 - Mar 29 with 2310 viewsJames1980

The way I see it the game is more of a must win for Bury and a mustn't lose for Dale based on games left to play points accrued. Hopefully that will mean the attack us leaving themselves open to counter attack

First trip to Bury on 18:36 - Mar 29 with 2254 viewsShun

First trip to Bury on 17:54 - Mar 29 by James1980

The way I see it the game is more of a must win for Bury and a mustn't lose for Dale based on games left to play points accrued. Hopefully that will mean the attack us leaving themselves open to counter attack

I think we've run out of chances and as such there are no 'must not lose' games left for us, they're all 'must wins'. We've got into this mess not by losing too many but by drawing too many.
First trip to Bury on 18:40 - Mar 29 with 2248 viewsnordenblue

First trip to Bury on 18:36 - Mar 29 by Shun

I think we've run out of chances and as such there are no 'must not lose' games left for us, they're all 'must wins'. We've got into this mess not by losing too many but by drawing too many.

That's exactly my view,we've let pass FAR too many "must win" games and played too cautiously. The games will run down faster than the gap to safety will I'm feeling
First trip to Bury on 19:31 - Mar 29 with 2199 viewsJames1980

Very good points it is pretty much a must win for both teams. Hopefully it will be an entertaining game and the ref allows an free flowing game to be played and doesn't blow the whistle every couple of minutes

First trip to Bury on 10:44 - Mar 30 with 1994 viewsBFC1885

First trip to Bury on 18:11 - Mar 28 by aleanddale

if you have any modicum of fitness you can walk from the tram.

have a pre match pint at Trackside in the centre of the town and admire the steam trains of yesteryear.

25 minute walk following the crowd ( down Manchester road ) to Giggle.

Once past the advertising signs and advanced building works for the new aparthotel going up you will have made it.

Gigg is on the left hidden by houses ( its ramshackled these days ) looking as unkept as the pot holed carpark.

You might not be able to get a pint pre match they are changing the social club to an all singing / dancing real ale / restaurant destination pub so people will flock there on nights when there is no football on as the whole of Manchester is closing once open.

Once inside the ground the Cemmy end is ok for behind the goal experience but the dreadful Manchester road end needs bulldozing but that might not happen until the Taylor Wimpey signs go up.

The game will probably be turgid and close. 0-0 is the bet of the night but the odd goal could settle it either way - hopeful we turn up and they don't like previous encounters recently.

I don't think that " following the crowd " is such a good idea this year, I don't think there will be much of a crowd to follow myself!
First trip to Bury on 12:02 - Mar 30 with 1938 viewsrochdale_ranger

First trip to Bury on 16:57 - Mar 29 by frenzied

Theres still all to play for ,cant see anything but a very committed performance from both sides..until the fat lady sings both Bury and Dale will give it everything..a boring 0 0 stalemate I cannot envisage at all James.....

After watching boring backwards and sideways football all season and the fact that we have no goal scoring capabilities I think it will be the epitome of a boring stalemate.
First trip to Bury on 12:08 - Mar 30 with 1934 viewsD_Alien

First trip to Bury on 12:02 - Mar 30 by rochdale_ranger

After watching boring backwards and sideways football all season and the fact that we have no goal scoring capabilities I think it will be the epitome of a boring stalemate.

Just like our 4-0 thrashing of them earlier in the season, then?

None of us know how the game will go, no point in having expectations either way

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

First trip to Bury on 18:39 - Mar 30 with 1841 viewsfrenzied

James
Today’s scores really put the cat amongst the pigeons for tues night.

Bury concede a late pen to lose after being ahead,Dale meanwhile win after falling behind and escaping a late penalty appeal.

Bury are potentially 2 games away from relegation ,Dale meanwhile see the opportunity for an escape from the drop.

Its gonna be a very intense atmosphere at the game....not for the faint hearted..not easy for Lowe to pick the Bury players up after today..whereas Hilly has the task of keeping Dale players focused on each game as it comes.

This will be his finest achievement if he can keep Dale up.
First trip to Bury on 19:10 - Mar 30 with 1763 views442Dale

Presuming Bury go 4-4-2, we need to bring Delaney back on Tuesday. Start Inman in the advanced midfield role where he's done ok and look to outnumber them in that area, we also know we have the players and flexibility to revert to four at the back mid-game if required.

Lillis
Rafferty, McGahey, McNulty, Delaney, Done
Rathbone, Camps, Inman
Andrew, Henderson

Good optIons off the bench with Humphrys and Davies.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

First trip to Bury on 20:09 - Mar 30 with 1662 viewsJames1980

Have we sold out our allocation for Tuesday?

First trip to Bury on 20:16 - Mar 30 with 1649 views442Dale

First trip to Bury on 20:09 - Mar 30 by James1980

Have we sold out our allocation for Tuesday?

It's not all-ticket. Can possibly see it being close to being full after those last few minutes today though.

First trip to Bury on 20:18 - Mar 30 with 1645 viewsRAFCBLUE

Very hard for bury on Tuesday, James.

They have to come out and attack us.

Needing circa 20 points to survive now from 7 games, it is s*it or bust for them.

We can afford to lose at bury on Tuesday and possibly survive.

We could win at bury on Tuesday and go down but consign them to League 2.

A draw is no use to them but would leave us with needing 11 points to get to 50 with 6 home and 2 away games. I'd describe that as "useful".

Their financial position is dire but that isn't worth discussion until their League 2 2018/19 season and hopeful relegation to the non-league.

Enjoy your trip.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

First trip to Bury on 20:22 - Mar 30 with 1632 views442Dale

First trip to Bury on 20:18 - Mar 30 by RAFCBLUE

Very hard for bury on Tuesday, James.

They have to come out and attack us.

Needing circa 20 points to survive now from 7 games, it is s*it or bust for them.

We can afford to lose at bury on Tuesday and possibly survive.

We could win at bury on Tuesday and go down but consign them to League 2.

A draw is no use to them but would leave us with needing 11 points to get to 50 with 6 home and 2 away games. I'd describe that as "useful".

Their financial position is dire but that isn't worth discussion until their League 2 2018/19 season and hopeful relegation to the non-league.

Enjoy your trip.

We will need 52 I think. Getting to 43 with 5 games remaining would have been my preference before the Walsall game.

At that stage we had 26 points with 16 games left. 12 points from 7 games since then, so 5 from the next 4 required. Anything else is a bonus.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024