Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chief departing confirmed 20:02 - Apr 27 with 15630 viewshorshamHoop

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/captain-nedum-onuoha-set-to-leave-qpr/

I can't go tomorrow but hope we give him a tremendous send off as he fully deserves it
Chief departing confirmed on 12:29 - Apr 28 with 3702 viewsisawqpratwcity

It sends a clear message to agents approaching us that we will stick to a strict wages policy, even with long-standing key players. That may restrict what players we get offered but, hey, it avoids wasting time.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Chief departing confirmed on 13:33 - Apr 28 with 3633 viewsdavman

Chief departing confirmed on 12:29 - Apr 28 by isawqpratwcity

It sends a clear message to agents approaching us that we will stick to a strict wages policy, even with long-standing key players. That may restrict what players we get offered but, hey, it avoids wasting time.

The problem with centre backs is that they mature into that position. Rarely do you get a 18-19 year old regularly starting in that position, which means that the model of buying young, selling high may not work.

I suspect that most of the budget will be blown on two centre backs rather than a striker this summer...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Chief departing confirmed on 13:39 - Apr 28 with 3625 viewsisawqpratwcity

Chief departing confirmed on 13:33 - Apr 28 by davman

The problem with centre backs is that they mature into that position. Rarely do you get a 18-19 year old regularly starting in that position, which means that the model of buying young, selling high may not work.

I suspect that most of the budget will be blown on two centre backs rather than a striker this summer...

You may be right, but this is the discipline we have made for ourselves.

Here is a picture of Lee Hoos after his voice gave out...

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Chief departing confirmed on 14:59 - Apr 28 with 3517 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Chief departing confirmed on 20:19 - Apr 27 by flynnbo

He goes with my best wishes. He has to think of his family and himself, of course. His wages have been gradually eroded since he has been here and has never once disrespected the club. A gentleman and an educated, erudite young man who will be hard to replace. Good luck, Nedum.

Perfectly put.

Will be a real loss on and off the pitch.

Love the way in his leaving statement he doesn't make up any phony reasons for leaving, no hiding behind clichés, and love the way that even heading out the door he still calls us "we".

Drive on, Skipper. And thanks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Chief departing confirmed on 17:53 - Apr 28 with 3438 viewsTGRRRSSS

I'm pretty sure Ned was on what we'd consider eye watering wages, hence not surprised by this, he's also in his 30[s now so maybe become more injury prone and it'll be a case of diminishing returns, he's clearly a hard working dedicated professional and whilst I'm sure he's tried his best he's a decent enough player but I'd argue that if he was quite as good as some are now sentimentalising over he'd have left QPR quite a while ago.

If we're truly honest though the fact he's been such a long standing servant to us in many ways shows more about his failings than it does his being a servant of the club, al la Austin for example.

The above isn't meant nastily as I agree we may well miss him next season but agaisn that might say more about us..., equallly we've got a cunning plan dont forget we have Mel Johnson back right???...

He'll get a contract elsewhere no doubt, probably in the Championship though.

Good Luck to him all the same.
Chief departing confirmed on 18:40 - Apr 28 with 3394 viewsPinnerPaul

Chief departing confirmed on 14:59 - Apr 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Perfectly put.

Will be a real loss on and off the pitch.

Love the way in his leaving statement he doesn't make up any phony reasons for leaving, no hiding behind clichés, and love the way that even heading out the door he still calls us "we".

Drive on, Skipper. And thanks.

Indeed his programme page is very honest.

Mentions heroes 'and a few villains' he has come across here and also praises current players for all giving 100% - says that should be a given but hasn't been for some in his time here!

Farewell Chief and thanks.
Chief departing confirmed on 19:31 - Apr 28 with 3335 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Chief departing confirmed on 10:49 - Apr 28 by qprd

anyone with access to google can figure out ned is a free agent. and if he signs with a new club, obviously qpr can't keep up the bluff.

but let me explain the economics/incentives from the perspective of someone who does this professionally:

This a multilateral negotiation with four parties with the following incentives:

1. Ned and his agent want to extract the highest wages
2. QPR want to pay the least amount of money to replace Ned
3. Teams with surplus centre backs want to sell their cbs at the highest price
4. Agents of free agent cbs want their clients to sign at the highest wages.

Lets forget parties 3 and 4 above.

Ned's agent is essentially selling the services of his player in an open market auction. When you sell something in an auction, in order to inflate its prices, you want there to be a perception of competition. Ned's agent wants all the other teams in the league to think that many other teams want Ned's services; this is why agents regularly leak stories about multiple clubs being interested in their players. they think it'll drive up prices

In the case of Ned and QPR, Ned's agent is probably upset QPR announced that Ned isn't coming back. This is because of whats referred to as "the hometown discount". In essence, players will accept lower wages at their current club than higher wages elsewhere. This can be due to the fact that the player is comfortable where they are and they don't want to move, buy a new house, sell their old house, take their kids out of school, deal with all the other frictions of changing clubs etc. Ned's agent obviously is going to flout his services to other teams, but he also wants other teams to think that QPR still wants Ned. Other teams will account for the hometown discount, and this may pressure other clubs to want to increase their bid for his services.

In the case of QPR, when you are buying something in a negotiation, the seller has bargaining power over you when they know you need to buy. Letting other clubs know that we're one centerback short makes acquisitions more expensive; this is why clubs get ripped off when they buy players at the end of the transfer window. because people know they're desperate to buy

Both Ned and QPR's interests should aligned in that they don't want the rest of the market to know that Ned is leaving. So why volunteer the information?

The only good that comes out of announcing this now is that we get to clap off ned. that's really nice;but i prefer economics over sentimentality, especially as we're cash strapped.

Yawn!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Chief departing confirmed on 19:39 - Apr 28 with 3315 viewsGloucs_R

Robinson missing again today. Either gone or Captain next season.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Login to get fewer ads

Chief departing confirmed on 00:09 - Apr 29 with 3173 viewsfrancisbowles

Chief departing confirmed on 09:48 - Apr 28 by smegma

Good point but no,you must slag the club off. Every club, apart from ours of course, NEVER reveals a player is being released. That way no one will want to buy them !!!

Did you rely to the wrong post Smegma, as I certainly haven't slagged off the club?
Chief departing confirmed on 00:41 - Apr 29 with 3113 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Neither surprised nor bothered. A gentleman, yes, but an average championship defender and uninspiring captain. Good luck Ned but we'll be just fine.
Chief departing confirmed on 03:21 - Apr 29 with 3039 viewsitsbiga

Nice guy, good egg and all that. Pretty average player though imo so we should be ok.
Its not like losing Charlie or Smithies (hope we don't but we will)

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Chief departing confirmed on 08:39 - Apr 29 with 2905 viewsrobith

Don't really get people playing down his ability - just look at our numbers with and without him (and we're about to get a full chance to baseline discount that too).

Hell be very difficult to accurately replace.

I've spoken at length here about the nonsense around his captaincy. From the paddocks you can always hear him shouting and talking all game. But I also recall a game on telly the first time we came down vs Leeds. Dunne made an error and Ned made a tactical foul to cover. While the ref was booking him Ned just glared at Dunne and pointed at his eyes. It was proper chilling man! Captaincy isn't just screaming like an idiot.

Finally people underplaying his role of the field. The last decade we have had some atrocious recruiting that savaged the culture of the club and that is starting to be arrested. Ned being in a position of influence was massive "oh he played 100% but you expect that" butbhe did it at a time when people wouldn't which gave how he acted as captain a level of authority. Perhaps his biggest legacy will be his role in changing the culture of the club back to how we want it to be
Chief departing confirmed on 08:51 - Apr 29 with 2891 viewshoopdog

Chief departing confirmed on 08:39 - Apr 29 by robith

Don't really get people playing down his ability - just look at our numbers with and without him (and we're about to get a full chance to baseline discount that too).

I've spoken at length here about the nonsense around his captaincy. From the paddocks you can always hear him shouting and talking all game. But I also recall a game on telly the first time we came down vs Leeds. Dunne made an error and Ned made a tactical foul to cover. While the ref was booking him Ned just glared at Dunne and pointed at his eyes. It was proper chilling man! Captaincy isn't just screaming like an idiot.

Finally people underplaying his role of the field. The last decade we have had some atrocious recruiting that savaged the culture of the club and that is starting to be arrested. Ned being in a position of influence was massive "oh he played 100% but you expect that" butbhe did it at a time when people wouldn't which gave how he acted as captain a level of authority. Perhaps his biggest legacy will be his role in changing the culture of the club back to how we want it to be

You don't know who will come in , so how can you say we'll miss him ? Unless you know we won't be bringing anybody , decent chap wish him well but life goes on
Chief departing confirmed on 10:13 - Apr 29 with 2770 viewsrsonist

Chief departing confirmed on 08:39 - Apr 29 by robith

I think it says something that you've defended his ability by conflating it with various intangibles - which is not to say that those traits aren't relevant and admirable and won't be missed around the club, but with all due respect from a purely football perspective his skillset isn't irreplaceable. Not for the 20 bags a week he was on at any rate.

He's closer to Mackie than Hill and Derry, let's put it that way.
Chief departing confirmed on 12:12 - Apr 29 with 2697 viewstimcocking

Thanks for all your efforts Chief, you've been a huge credit to yourself. Been an absolute rock on and off the field in exceptionally difficult times, conducted yourself with impeccable fashion.

Gutted he's leaving us at this pivotal point, but good luck.
Chief departing confirmed on 12:43 - Apr 29 with 2664 viewsrobith

Chief departing confirmed on 10:13 - Apr 29 by rsonist

I think it says something that you've defended his ability by conflating it with various intangibles - which is not to say that those traits aren't relevant and admirable and won't be missed around the club, but with all due respect from a purely football perspective his skillset isn't irreplaceable. Not for the 20 bags a week he was on at any rate.

He's closer to Mackie than Hill and Derry, let's put it that way.

If he's so easily replaced, and so cheaply, why didn't we?
Chief departing confirmed on 12:46 - Apr 29 with 2654 viewsrobith

Chief departing confirmed on 08:51 - Apr 29 by hoopdog

You don't know who will come in , so how can you say we'll miss him ? Unless you know we won't be bringing anybody , decent chap wish him well but life goes on

If you'd taken the time to read the post you were replying to your have seen

"Hell be very difficult to accurately replace."
Chief departing confirmed on 13:46 - Apr 29 with 2605 viewsrsonist

Chief departing confirmed on 12:43 - Apr 29 by robith

If he's so easily replaced, and so cheaply, why didn't we?

Well he was under contract, for a start. Look, if we could afford him I'm sure he'd get another deal here - I haven't disagreed that he offers much in terms of presence and continuity, and that he's a decent defender at this level in the right circumstances, and I certainly never said it would be "so easily" replaced. But: achievable? Improvable? Not the end of the world? I think so.

I'm grateful for Ned's service and he will be missed (even if we buy well we're unlikely to see a completely smooth transition at first) but sentiment is clouding people's judgement here too.
Chief departing confirmed on 15:00 - Apr 29 with 2525 viewsTheChef

Sad to see him go. Our record with and without him speaks for itself.

We all know he is not the most skilful footballer but most importantly he is strong and quick, and that is what will make him difficult to replace. Difficult but not impossible. Let's see what Penrice and co come up with.

Wishing him all the very best for the future.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Chief departing confirmed on 16:03 - Apr 29 with 2454 viewspaulparker

well done Ned over 200 games for us a good servant and a decent captain
now lets not get carried away with the end is nigh , our captain is an average championship defender playing for an average championship team and thats not being out of order its fact, i trust the scouting team to have replacements on hand for him and Robinson
its actually quite exciting that we have good youngsters and hopefully some good new defenders

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Chief departing confirmed on 09:50 - Apr 30 with 2340 viewsrobith

Chief departing confirmed on 16:03 - Apr 29 by paulparker

well done Ned over 200 games for us a good servant and a decent captain
now lets not get carried away with the end is nigh , our captain is an average championship defender playing for an average championship team and thats not being out of order its fact, i trust the scouting team to have replacements on hand for him and Robinson
its actually quite exciting that we have good youngsters and hopefully some good new defenders

Agreed, our scouting is much improved of late. Replacing Ned and Robbo is a challenge, but I'm interested to see what they come up with
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024