Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Turning point 10:49 - May 6 with 4268 viewsR17ALE

Lets face it. At the time of the Spurs replay we were down. 12 points adrift and a worrying lack of fire power at home.

What triggered our come back?

Personally I think it's a combination of two things.

1. 3 of the 4 halves v Spurs made us realise we're actually a good side.

2. Selling Bunney. Quite why we persisted with the non-scoring Done up front and the non-assist making Bunney at left back for so long still concerns me. I can still remember the home game v Blackburn and after about 15 minutes the Rovers fans were singing "29, you're fooking shit". Never ignore the fans.

There might be other key moments, but I think those 2 are pivotal.

And this great escape will never usurp 1987 because back then we were actually shit, and without a pot to piss in, and this time it was a team effort whereas back then it was Lyndon who saved us virtually on his own!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Turning point on 10:59 - May 6 with 4226 viewsBartRowou

Agree about 87. That would've been terminal.

3. There's also the 3/2/5/ 4/4/2 formation thing and the realisation that McNulty is comfortable in the former and a liability in the latter.

4. Delaney has been an excellent addition. He needs to work on his distribution but he defends well and has started scoring.

5. Cannon's inclusion in the first team should not be forgotten.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Turning point on 11:16 - May 6 with 4165 viewsD_Alien

Remember thinking the day after Wembley that we had 16 games to accrue as many points as we'd done in the previous 30

That we pretty much did that is nothing short of amazing, and if we carry that forward it bodes well

And let's not forget, we got a reported £100k to help us turn a point!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Turning point on 11:25 - May 6 with 4130 viewsFalingeParka

Bunney had long gone before the Spurs replay. Also bit strange to talk about his non-assist making. Great crosser of the ball and game changer in season 16/17 when happy, fit and in form.

Second, we knew we were a good side long before the Spurs games, we got into a mess Aug to Feb for other reasons, call it a Hill mid-life crisis. If we gonna kick on, and everything is in place to do so, then we have to get back to Hill basics - quick football on the deck and no silly compromises that give the excuse we have to lump it to a 3 goal statue cos we're poor.

ColonelHall

Turning point on 11:40 - May 6 with 4068 viewsfitzochris

Turning point on 11:25 - May 6 by FalingeParka

Bunney had long gone before the Spurs replay. Also bit strange to talk about his non-assist making. Great crosser of the ball and game changer in season 16/17 when happy, fit and in form.

Second, we knew we were a good side long before the Spurs games, we got into a mess Aug to Feb for other reasons, call it a Hill mid-life crisis. If we gonna kick on, and everything is in place to do so, then we have to get back to Hill basics - quick football on the deck and no silly compromises that give the excuse we have to lump it to a 3 goal statue cos we're poor.

Perhaps we are a good side, but we are nowhere near the previous side’s Hill has assembled. Let’s not let the euphoria of yesterday cloud the work that needs to be done over the summer to ensure we don’t suffer a similar season.

At times yesterday, the defending was sloppy, we were closed down too easily in midfield and were very profligate in the final third. That’s not being negative, that’s just a detached analysis of the game itself, outwith the occasion. You felt if Charlton were at the races, there could have been a very different outcome. The tactical change after Oldham equalised brought a better approach and, of course, Joe’s goal, but let’s not get too carried away here.

Back to basics is indeed required.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Turning point on 11:49 - May 6 with 4022 viewsTVOS1907

Turning point on 11:25 - May 6 by FalingeParka

R17 was saying the Spurs game and Bunney's departure were two separate factors, not linked together.

We started to pick-up some better results before the Spurs games, notably winning at Northampton.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Turning point on 11:50 - May 6 with 4014 views442Dale

Interesting bit at the end about playing a system which the players feel comfortable with. 3-5-2 saved us, it also ensured we had an amazing cup run. With the introduction of some pace going forward, it’s definitely what we should consider as our best chance of doing better next season.

A midfield leader is required first and foremost though, we need a season where our 20 goal top scorer is able to play up front in every game.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Turning point on 11:54 - May 6 with 3991 viewsFalingeParka

Absolutely spot on Fitz. Charlton, luckily for us, were definitely not at the races. In shorthand, we really really got away with it yesterday.

There are serious issues with the way we have set our stall out this season. And, as always, it really is about the budget. Let's hope our youth team can provide some help next season.

ColonelHall

Turning point on 12:43 - May 6 with 3848 viewsmacro

Hill said in a recent interview that midfield is where he wants to strengthen

Davies and Keane will be on decent salaries and I’d imagine released. I wouldn’t be surprised to see MJ Williams appear at Dale again.
Login to get fewer ads

Turning point on 13:07 - May 6 with 3779 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Turning point on 12:43 - May 6 by macro

Hill said in a recent interview that midfield is where he wants to strengthen

Davies and Keane will be on decent salaries and I’d imagine released. I wouldn’t be surprised to see MJ Williams appear at Dale again.

or Matty Lund back here?
Turning point on 13:09 - May 6 with 3767 viewsTVOS1907

Turning point on 13:07 - May 6 by Yorkshire_Dale

or Matty Lund back here?

He's on Championship wages and is under contract.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Turning point on 18:36 - May 6 with 3421 viewsDaley_Lama

Doncaster (A) in the FA Cup for me.

We’d lost there woefully the week before and to Blackpool equally as bad on the Tuesday at home.

Fight and spirit in abundance from nowhere in that game. The spoils came in the cup from that game and the performances in the league began to pick up too.
[Post edited 6 May 2018 20:08]

Poll: DF in or out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024