Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So many whys? 17:59 - Aug 26 with 9394 viewsBillyRudd

Just a few personal thoughts on this wet and miserable Sunday afternoon.
I would,nt mind Henderson (our one true converter of chances) dropping into mid-table occasionally, if he actually achieved anything in doing so. He does,nt.
If Keith Hills team talks are anything like his interview musings then it,s no wonder the players look disjointed and confused.
Why is Calvins ratio of headers won so much greater in our penalty area than the opposing teams area?
Why does it seem that everytime someone has a good game they are dropped for the next.
Why are we so reluctant to shoot from outside the box.
Why are we playing the ball out of defence at a snail pace.
Why are we playing across the defensive back line as we do. Its total football but only in our defensive third. We can,t or won,t do it from the halfway line.
Why if its practised in training, has our crossing of the ball not improved in the last 2 years.
Why other than the last 10 minutes in the Fleetwood and Walsall games when we were chasing the game by taking route 1 (and looking more dangerous in doing it) do we play the same tactic for 80mins of a slow march out of defense with no end result.
Why does Camps look a troubled soul out there.
What must Cannon be thinking.
Why is an injured players status such a state secret? I defy any opposing team to second guess a Hill team selection beforehand so what does it matter?
How does Hill motivate players (a genuine question) because I see nothing in his personna that would get me pulling my tripe out for 90 minutes if I was playing in a position I felt was,nt my best and then getting dropped for it. Anyone with any inside knowledge, please tell because I genuinely believe that he would drop Ronaldo if he did,nt perform at right back.
Has Hill ever publicly admitted losing a match due to his mistakes rather than the players. One for TVOS there.
And finally how are the refreshments organised. Is it a concession that is awarded for a fixed fee so the club don,t give a damn? A pie and a drink used to be part of the match experience. Alas not any more for me.
Does you good to get it off your chest.
So many whys? on 19:10 - Aug 26 with 6159 viewsrochdale_ranger

Is it a coincidence he gets a five year deal and the attractive attacking football stops.
Last season when we were bottom of the league he said it’s fine because we are still top of league two.
He slagged the fans off after we drew with MK dons on a miserable Tuesday night.
He told fans not to bother showing up.
He blames the fans for his squad not turning up against Barnsley.
So in relation to your question Why? I think it’s because he does not give a fook anymore. He talks about how much he has “sacrificed” and people think he’s referencing the death of his father and that really is sad but I’ve had loved ones die and I’ve had to go in work the day after because if I didn’t the mortgage wouldn’t get paid. It’s life and the chip on the shoulder and the why me act is really quite boring.
So many whys? on 20:15 - Aug 26 with 6034 views442Dale

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/16600461.bantams-legend-livid-as-sor

This is a good read. A journalist doing their job.

While we may not be in a situation as bad as it sounds at Bradford, it would be good to see our problems being discussed in an open manner too. But that’s all down to the bravery and ability of various people.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

So many whys? on 20:53 - Aug 26 with 5953 viewsblackdogblue

The Billy Rudd? 1968-1970? If so was talking to a mate of yours last night, Burke’y 😀

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

So many whys? on 21:45 - Aug 26 with 5862 viewsdingdangblue

So many whys? on 19:10 - Aug 26 by rochdale_ranger

Is it a coincidence he gets a five year deal and the attractive attacking football stops.
Last season when we were bottom of the league he said it’s fine because we are still top of league two.
He slagged the fans off after we drew with MK dons on a miserable Tuesday night.
He told fans not to bother showing up.
He blames the fans for his squad not turning up against Barnsley.
So in relation to your question Why? I think it’s because he does not give a fook anymore. He talks about how much he has “sacrificed” and people think he’s referencing the death of his father and that really is sad but I’ve had loved ones die and I’ve had to go in work the day after because if I didn’t the mortgage wouldn’t get paid. It’s life and the chip on the shoulder and the why me act is really quite boring.

Keith also worked the day he found out his dad died. We played Peterborough away.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

So many whys? on 21:55 - Aug 26 with 5830 viewsDaleiLama

So many whys? on 21:45 - Aug 26 by dingdangblue

Keith also worked the day he found out his dad died. We played Peterborough away.

I think RR was referencing my comment on this (?) and the sacrifices I referred to were missing time he might have spent with his pa at the end when he was ill but couldn't due to his management responsibilities. It was obviously speculation but it seemed to fit the facts. Not necessarily the only theory that could fit however.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

So many whys? on 22:45 - Aug 26 with 5692 viewsBillyRudd

So many whys? on 20:53 - Aug 26 by blackdogblue

The Billy Rudd? 1968-1970? If so was talking to a mate of yours last night, Burke’y 😀

Alas not THE Billy Rudd. Just one of my favourite players, from my favourite team, from my favourite era.
Hilly was,nt even born in 68, so whilst I might be accused of living in the past, its one of the reasons why his attitude to the fans grates a little. Hopefully I will still be watching them when he has got us into the Championship for a season or two, retired and busy polishing his ego.
So many whys? on 22:48 - Aug 26 with 5676 viewsShun

I can only answer one of the OP’s questions, the rest I’m just as confused and frustrated at as the rest of us. Regarding Andrew winning more headers in our penalty area than anywhere else, he doesn’t. More often than not he wins every header he challenges for, regardless of where he is. Just in defence the priority is clearing it, so it doesn’t really matter where it goes. In attack the priority is finding another Dale attacker, something which is much harder and doesn’t happen anywhere near enough.
So many whys? on 23:33 - Aug 26 with 5599 viewsDaleiLama

So many whys? on 22:48 - Aug 26 by Shun

I can only answer one of the OP’s questions, the rest I’m just as confused and frustrated at as the rest of us. Regarding Andrew winning more headers in our penalty area than anywhere else, he doesn’t. More often than not he wins every header he challenges for, regardless of where he is. Just in defence the priority is clearing it, so it doesn’t really matter where it goes. In attack the priority is finding another Dale attacker, something which is much harder and doesn’t happen anywhere near enough.

Funny you should say that Shun as that was the only one I would take a stab at. Your answer is much more laudable than mind though. Mine was going to be facetious and based on the fact that opponents crosses are on target whilst ours very rarely go where they are supposed to!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Login to get fewer ads

So many whys? on 00:56 - Aug 27 with 5534 viewsShun

So many whys? on 23:33 - Aug 26 by DaleiLama

Funny you should say that Shun as that was the only one I would take a stab at. Your answer is much more laudable than mind though. Mine was going to be facetious and based on the fact that opponents crosses are on target whilst ours very rarely go where they are supposed to!

Ha, probably has something to do with it too!
So many whys? on 10:39 - Aug 27 with 5235 viewsrochdale_ranger

So many whys? on 21:45 - Aug 26 by dingdangblue

Life is suffering. Like I said it’s just a job. If the tiny amount of fan pressure he’s getting is too much he could walk into a new job tomorrow.
So many whys? on 10:43 - Aug 27 with 5229 viewsEllDale

I agree that he would soon be back in work if he left Rochdale.
There are 40 odd managerial vacancies every season.
But would it be in a job that would meet his ambition and his expectations?
So many whys? on 10:49 - Aug 27 with 5209 viewsrochdale_ranger

So many whys? on 10:43 - Aug 27 by EllDale

I agree that he would soon be back in work if he left Rochdale.
There are 40 odd managerial vacancies every season.
But would it be in a job that would meet his ambition and his expectations?

Who knows. He doesn’t seem happy here or is it just the peasantry in the stands who he dislikes.
So many whys? on 16:10 - Aug 27 with 4942 viewskiwidale

Some good questions in there Billy I wont answer them all and before I go off on one what a player Bill Rudd was.

"If Keith Hills team talks are anything like his interview musings then it's no wonder the players look disjointed and confused."

I read Keith's post match analysis before I listened to it and boy what a contrast. Reading the text Hill came across as an idiot taking riddles he mentioned "getting through the units" and "having a winning mentality in defeat" it was utter bollix. Contrast that to watching the video and hearing him where he came across as very believable someone who knew his stuff. It confused the shit out of me and came to the conclusion that Keith mesmerised me in a Svengali fashion. I think its the same with the players Hill convinces them that they are Barcelona in training and pre match team talks but reality bites on the pitch.

On a lighter note
"Has Hill ever publicly admitted losing a match due to his mistakes rather than the players. One for TVOS there."

If Hill was to ever acknowledge it was His fault or his error? I'm sure TVOS would be along to correct him.

This is not the time for bickering.

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:29 - Aug 27 with 4887 viewsTVOS1907

So many whys? on 16:10 - Aug 27 by kiwidale

Some good questions in there Billy I wont answer them all and before I go off on one what a player Bill Rudd was.

"If Keith Hills team talks are anything like his interview musings then it's no wonder the players look disjointed and confused."

I read Keith's post match analysis before I listened to it and boy what a contrast. Reading the text Hill came across as an idiot taking riddles he mentioned "getting through the units" and "having a winning mentality in defeat" it was utter bollix. Contrast that to watching the video and hearing him where he came across as very believable someone who knew his stuff. It confused the shit out of me and came to the conclusion that Keith mesmerised me in a Svengali fashion. I think its the same with the players Hill convinces them that they are Barcelona in training and pre match team talks but reality bites on the pitch.

On a lighter note
"Has Hill ever publicly admitted losing a match due to his mistakes rather than the players. One for TVOS there."

If Hill was to ever acknowledge it was His fault or his error? I'm sure TVOS would be along to correct him.

I’m not sure why Billy Rudd mentioned me in his post, hence why I’ve ignored it.

I’m even less sure why you alone have felt the need to highlight it, particularly after some of the things you said last weekend.

Like 442 has said several times, try to focus on what’s being posted rather than individual posters.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2018 16:37]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

So many whys? on 16:34 - Aug 27 with 4872 viewskiwidale

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:29 - Aug 27 by TVOS1907

I’m not sure why Billy Rudd mentioned me in his post, hence why I’ve ignored it.

I’m even less sure why you alone have felt the need to highlight it, particularly after some of the things you said last weekend.

Like 442 has said several times, try to focus on what’s being posted rather than individual posters.

That's me told then... I did say on a lighter note.

So many whys? on 16:35 - Aug 27 with 4865 viewsNinco

In his interview, he said something along the lines of I can give the instructions, but once the players are on the pitch, it is down to them. To me, that is like saying that the players are ignoring his instructions and doing their own thing. Has he addressed why they are not following his instructions? Is there a breakdown in the dressing room? Are the players not respecting him? Don't they trust his tactics?

If I have misunderstood his comments and they are following his instructions, how can he blame the players for the defeat? They were just doing what they were told.
So many whys? on 17:15 - Aug 27 with 4790 viewskiwidale

So many whys? on 20:15 - Aug 26 by 442Dale

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/16600461.bantams-legend-livid-as-sor

This is a good read. A journalist doing their job.

While we may not be in a situation as bad as it sounds at Bradford, it would be good to see our problems being discussed in an open manner too. But that’s all down to the bravery and ability of various people.

I would urge everyone to read that link and substitute Rochdale for Bradford its one thing for fans to argue the toss on here but when a proper Journalist doing his job and a former player express their opinions it has added impact, I would love to hear Jonah's opinion about what you paying fans are seeing at home games. Oh! for a journalist that is detached from the club with the professionalism to write honestly about what he sees at Spotland but Keith would never allow it.

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:28 - Aug 27 with 4768 viewsBillyRudd

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:29 - Aug 27 by TVOS1907

I mentioned you as a nod to your obvious encyclopedic knowledge of all things Dale. It was a compliment.
So many whys? on 17:33 - Aug 27 with 4753 viewskiwidale

So many whys? on 17:15 - Aug 27 by kiwidale

I would urge everyone to read that link and substitute Rochdale for Bradford its one thing for fans to argue the toss on here but when a proper Journalist doing his job and a former player express their opinions it has added impact, I would love to hear Jonah's opinion about what you paying fans are seeing at home games. Oh! for a journalist that is detached from the club with the professionalism to write honestly about what he sees at Spotland but Keith would never allow it.

for those who haven't read the link here is an extract:

There was a telling passage of play just before half-time that summed up sorry City in a nutshell.
Anthony O’Connor, five yards inside his own half, turned and played the ball back to his keeper.

Arms outstretched with obvious frustration, it was clear that nobody was showing for him to take possession.
Twice in the next 30 seconds, City’s vice-captain received the ball back. On both occasions, he had little option but to once again return it to Richard O’Donnell.
It was turgid, timid stuff.

and you thought it was bad at Dale.

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:48 - Aug 27 with 4716 viewsTVOS1907

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:28 - Aug 27 by BillyRudd

I mentioned you as a nod to your obvious encyclopedic knowledge of all things Dale. It was a compliment.

Thank you, although I’m more of a facts and figures man rather than what people say in interviews.

Thanks anyway, though.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2018 17:50]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:05 - Aug 27 with 4666 viewsBillyRudd

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:48 - Aug 27 by TVOS1907

Thank you, although I’m more of a facts and figures man rather than what people say in interviews.

Thanks anyway, though.

Your welcome.
So many whys? on 10:29 - Aug 28 with 4397 viewstony_roch975

Lots of factors over several years as others have mentioned:-
lost the most effective WB (injury initially)
the most effective attacker left
lost 2 good (signed for free) midfielders
best player approaching end of career
trickle down TV money means the likes of Lambert, Holt, Murray, Le Fondre, Hogan can no longer be picked up for free
Gap growing between championship/Lg1 teams and the rest (also money related)
Academy not producing several first teamers every year
new way is 'progressive' football where even 5 at the back is seen as the core for attacking with immense pace throughout the m/f and defending begins from pacy strikers (as Carragher & Neville were saying last night) - rather than 5 at the back being just about stopping attacks
pressure, fear and uncertainty confusing selections & formations
the 'us-against-the-world' attitude which was so effective in Hill's early years now seen as 'stubbornness' and breaking the team/supporters bond

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

So many whys? on 10:57 - Aug 28 with 4355 viewsD_Alien

So many whys? on 10:29 - Aug 28 by tony_roch975

Lots of factors over several years as others have mentioned:-
lost the most effective WB (injury initially)
the most effective attacker left
lost 2 good (signed for free) midfielders
best player approaching end of career
trickle down TV money means the likes of Lambert, Holt, Murray, Le Fondre, Hogan can no longer be picked up for free
Gap growing between championship/Lg1 teams and the rest (also money related)
Academy not producing several first teamers every year
new way is 'progressive' football where even 5 at the back is seen as the core for attacking with immense pace throughout the m/f and defending begins from pacy strikers (as Carragher & Neville were saying last night) - rather than 5 at the back being just about stopping attacks
pressure, fear and uncertainty confusing selections & formations
the 'us-against-the-world' attitude which was so effective in Hill's early years now seen as 'stubbornness' and breaking the team/supporters bond

Never mind Carragher & Neville, i've been pointing out the attacking possibilities of 532 plus 'defending from the front' and could quote you the dates & times if I could be arsed. Trust your own judgement!

The fact is, Hill doesn't know how to deploy it effectively. It's not just that our squad are L1 standard (which is stating the obvious) but when he allows Hendo to drift away from his forward role, thus buggering up any chance of a 'pacy midfield' he's breaking the inherent possibilities of the system. If he can't manage Hendo he's simply not doing his job

I've got "respect, respect, respect" for what Hill's achieved at Dale but he's in danger of ruining his own legacy, and it's sad to watch

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

So many whys? on 13:49 - Aug 28 with 4160 viewstony_roch975

So many whys? on 10:57 - Aug 28 by D_Alien

Never mind Carragher & Neville, i've been pointing out the attacking possibilities of 532 plus 'defending from the front' and could quote you the dates & times if I could be arsed. Trust your own judgement!

The fact is, Hill doesn't know how to deploy it effectively. It's not just that our squad are L1 standard (which is stating the obvious) but when he allows Hendo to drift away from his forward role, thus buggering up any chance of a 'pacy midfield' he's breaking the inherent possibilities of the system. If he can't manage Hendo he's simply not doing his job

I've got "respect, respect, respect" for what Hill's achieved at Dale but he's in danger of ruining his own legacy, and it's sad to watch

As I said DA, these thoughts have been raised by many. Whilst Hill's attitude is an issue,as I also said (& today's manager has to be a top spin-doctor as well as coach - Hill is no Southgate), I don't think it's as simple as Hill knowing to deploy Hendo up front - it is his strongest position but he was as much off the pace against Barnsley or Walsall as any; without the strikers pressing high m/f is overrun; from that comes fear and lack of risk taking - last night Spurs & Utd players kept trying to beat opponents however many times they got tackled. Hendo's been our best player over several years but his career is coming to an end and we haven't been able to replace his loss of pace etc with another 'wonder signing' cos they aren't there on our budget. It's a more existential problem - yes, stick to a formation & selection for a few games, select the most high energy players and give them loads of praise but I'd question just how many Lg1 standard players we do have for this new 'progressive' high-paced style which is becoming the norm. Maybe best we can do is demand effort and give them loads of support as long as they're doing their best.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:01 - Aug 28 with 4118 viewsrochdale_ranger

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:48 - Aug 27 by TVOS1907

Thanks anyway, though.

I’d say your more of a boring pedantic and a reet bad Be littler.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024