Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland game 19:56 - Aug 17 with 16406 viewsupthedale2403

Can anybody tell me if we can use our bring your friend for £5 Voucher from our season tickets for this game?
Sunderland game on 23:15 - Aug 20 with 3003 viewsD_Alien

Sunderland game on 23:03 - Aug 20 by Faxdale

The goal keeper has to be the coolest we have had. It’s like he is playing in a training game. What I noticed is that every pass he seems to play from the back is played in front of the player so they run onto it and it puts the emphasis on the first movement from the defender to go forward

Glad you've mentioned that

One of the bugbears i've had watching Dale for the past 3/4 seasons is the inability of players to pass in a way that enables forward momentum to be maintained

Suddenly we've started doing it. BBM must know how to transmit that, and he must've been sat on the sidelines as frustrated as the rest of us for some time. The weight of passes has also improved, so they arrive crisply

it's a delight to watch a Rochdale team playing this way

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Sunderland game on 23:18 - Aug 20 with 2961 viewsdingdangblue

Sunderland game on 23:03 - Aug 20 by Faxdale

The goal keeper has to be the coolest we have had. It’s like he is playing in a training game. What I noticed is that every pass he seems to play from the back is played in front of the player so they run onto it and it puts the emphasis on the first movement from the defender to go forward

The one in the 2nd half where he calmly dribbled it along the goal line before chipping a pass out to the defender with the Sunderland forward about 2ft away from him! It's going to be an interesting season.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Sunderland game on 23:44 - Aug 20 with 2811 views_Windydale

Sunderland game on 22:56 - Aug 20 by Daley_Lama

Only bad thing about tonight was the actual result.

Only concern is that the football on view will be hard to do as winter comes.

Slick passing requires a smooth pitch - we all know how it goes.
Those wonderful cross field passes to the RND/OR tag team much harder on a wintery windy night.

That isn’t to say that BBM should alter his brand, i just hope people are forgiving when it dips a bit due to factors players cannot control.

Bring back Pete, the enthusiasm, creativity and vigour of team dale clearly hasn't brushed of on Golden Gamble man. MR Chrisma sounds like a bloke reading out loud new vacuum cleaner instructions to his wife..
Sunderland game on 23:55 - Aug 20 with 2765 viewsSandyman

Sunderland game on 22:23 - Aug 20 by dawlishdale

That's the best I've felt in defeat in several seasons. we more than matched Sunderland for long spells and wouldn't have been flattered with a win; never mind a draw, which was the very least we deserved.

Fantastic performances from Rathbone, MJ Williams, young Luke and several more. Norrington Davies is a real find at Left Back, whilst O'Connell is calm and assured. Camps is starting to look much better in his more advanced role, but there's room for improvement in him yet. Took his goal really well.

The Sunderland fans I spoke with after the game were full of praise for the way we played, and also thought they were lucky.

It's beginning to feel like we've got our team back after two years of dross under Hill. Can't remember such a rousing reception for the players at the final whistle, despite the loss.

This, and what Shun wrote at 22:01.
Brilliant performance by Rochdale today. Defeat was unfair but it did not cloud how good our team was. Staying on after the game to applaud and sing for the players in defeat is a very very rare event. It happened tonight.
There has often been the debate, should the fans get the players going or should the players get the fans going. The players proper got us going tonight, best support I've heard in The Sandy for a while and not a word of negativity.
Keep playing to anywhere near that level of quality, we'll be safe and in League One next season at worst. Excellent management and coaching by BBM with an affordable squad. He deserves a great deal of praise for what he's done since becoming manager.

Wonder how that will sit with the overspending clubs nearby who won't be anywhere near L1 security for a long time to come..... ? Who cares. UP THE DALE.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 23:56]
Sunderland game on 08:04 - Aug 21 with 2357 viewsEllDale

I don't think I've ever come away from a defeat feeling so positive before. Sunderland will be a top six side at the end of the season and we more than matched them.
Energy, commitment, verve, skill.
Players who looked jaded and out of confidence last year (I don't have to name them) have found a fresh lease of life under the new regime.
And the new signings complement the side wonderfully.
Norrington-Davies reminds me of a very young Stuart Pearce in the way he commands that left flank.
The game looked to be going away from us with 15 minutes left but we found fresh reserves and their keeper produced two stunning saves at the end.
This team is so well drilled as well. BBM has obviously spent hour after hour working on our systems.
The only slight quibble is that we need to work on set pieces just outside the box. I'm sure that this will come though.
BBM is certainly going to have some interesting selection problems soon.
is McLaughlin going to replace Matheson? Who makes way for Ryan and Pyke?
Funniest moment for me was Matheson winning the ball in the air against Wyke.
Sunderland game on 08:21 - Aug 21 with 2296 viewsDareToCalvin

I'm just going to be mirroring what everyone else has said but I just agree; never come away from a home league defeat with so much optimism, it's actually frightening how much better we're playing with most of the squad being the same to as it was last year and the year before. What a difference it makes playing players in the right positions and giving them freedom to express themselves. We mustn't get carried away, at the end of the day we've lost the game but there's so much to be excited about. Love the calmness and confidence of Sanchez, finally got a fantastic left back in Norrington-Davies, McNulty and especially O'Connell were immense at the back, Matheson just left me speechless, the lad is 16, absolutely sensational. Morley, although he occasionally was a bit slow, his passing was stunning and he'll only learn, he's still only a very young and inexperienced player. MJ looks like the player we had on loan now finally he's being deployed as a CDM, Rathbone superb bombing down the wing and working so hard, Camps a completely new man being played further forward, it was so obvious that he has to play there, Henderson working hard as ever, Dooley very impressive and trying to go forward and be creative; something it seems he wasn't allowed to do under Hill. Done did his bit when he came on, Ryan will be a top player for us and on another night Calvin scores that header to make it 2-2. Lots to be excited about, starting with top of the league at home on Saturday, let's see how we do in another huge test. Yes Hill was nothing short of a miracle-worker for us but it seems BBM is carrying on what Hill left behind.
Up the Dale!
Sunderland game on 09:02 - Aug 21 with 2160 viewsDaleFan7

What BBM has done to transform the way this group of players are playing is unbelievable. In 25+ years of watching Dale that's the best performance by a losing side I've ever seen, possibly one of the best by a Dale team full stop. We were better than Sunderland in every department of the game, other than the most important, putting the ball in the net. If we play like this all season we'll certainly win more than we lose.

Sunderland's clinical finishing was the difference last night. We had chances late with Hendo and Calvin both having free headers. Hopefully Pyke can get fit and offer a bit more of a goal threat.
Sunderland game on 09:41 - Aug 21 with 2037 viewsscarrow

Not often you walk away from a defeat full of pride about the performance, So many positives from the likes of Matheson and Camps to the crisp fast flowing football. Only 2 negatives for me, 2900 home fans and the need for more ruthlessness in front of goal.

Great performance

Poll: Final position

Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland game on 09:49 - Aug 21 with 2008 viewsAncoats_Blue

Sunderland game on 09:02 - Aug 21 by DaleFan7

What BBM has done to transform the way this group of players are playing is unbelievable. In 25+ years of watching Dale that's the best performance by a losing side I've ever seen, possibly one of the best by a Dale team full stop. We were better than Sunderland in every department of the game, other than the most important, putting the ball in the net. If we play like this all season we'll certainly win more than we lose.

Sunderland's clinical finishing was the difference last night. We had chances late with Hendo and Calvin both having free headers. Hopefully Pyke can get fit and offer a bit more of a goal threat.

Agreed. I think we're missing Pyke right now.
Sunderland game on 09:49 - Aug 21 with 2008 viewsaleanddale

Sunderland game on 09:41 - Aug 21 by scarrow

Not often you walk away from a defeat full of pride about the performance, So many positives from the likes of Matheson and Camps to the crisp fast flowing football. Only 2 negatives for me, 2900 home fans and the need for more ruthlessness in front of goal.

Great performance

2900 home fans on a Tuesday is actually pretty good.

If we can get to this on a regular basis I would be happy!

The rest of the post is spot on if we could be more ruthless with the chances in front of goal we would be top 10 all season.

Superb performance in defeat. Sunderland dodged a bullit it could have been a lot different but only one stat counts and that’s Dale 1-2 Sunderland.
Sunderland game on 10:07 - Aug 21 with 1960 viewsDaleiLama

Sunderland game on 08:21 - Aug 21 by DareToCalvin

I'm just going to be mirroring what everyone else has said but I just agree; never come away from a home league defeat with so much optimism, it's actually frightening how much better we're playing with most of the squad being the same to as it was last year and the year before. What a difference it makes playing players in the right positions and giving them freedom to express themselves. We mustn't get carried away, at the end of the day we've lost the game but there's so much to be excited about. Love the calmness and confidence of Sanchez, finally got a fantastic left back in Norrington-Davies, McNulty and especially O'Connell were immense at the back, Matheson just left me speechless, the lad is 16, absolutely sensational. Morley, although he occasionally was a bit slow, his passing was stunning and he'll only learn, he's still only a very young and inexperienced player. MJ looks like the player we had on loan now finally he's being deployed as a CDM, Rathbone superb bombing down the wing and working so hard, Camps a completely new man being played further forward, it was so obvious that he has to play there, Henderson working hard as ever, Dooley very impressive and trying to go forward and be creative; something it seems he wasn't allowed to do under Hill. Done did his bit when he came on, Ryan will be a top player for us and on another night Calvin scores that header to make it 2-2. Lots to be excited about, starting with top of the league at home on Saturday, let's see how we do in another huge test. Yes Hill was nothing short of a miracle-worker for us but it seems BBM is carrying on what Hill left behind.
Up the Dale!

I'm actually fascinated, as I'm sure most are, by the "sports psychology" aspect of all this. Clearly, we have never consistently achieved more in our history as with KH at the helm, including both league finishes and Cup runs during his tenure. This squad is also largely his, as pointed out above. Then we were subjected to 2 seasons of absolute dross in the most part - not the worst dross in our history as many regulars during the lean years will attest - but dross nevertheless.

There are undoubted "cause and effect" factors that have contributed to his downfall (as already discussed on here in the past) including, but not exclusively, playing players out of position, tinkering with winning teams, the g/k merry-go-round, squad size, first team players "out of favour" and turning on the fans. Feel free to add to the list.

Looking at the team yesterday though, it was chalk and cheese.

MJ - fit as a butcher's dog, lean, goes in for every challenge and makes "game-saving" type tackles routinely (would have pulled out of most of them before)
Dooley - came in to the club and looked good and full of promise but his form collapsed and he looked spent. Contender for motm every week now.
Callum - back to close to his peak now. Looks a constant threat around the edge of the box. (Can't be sure how much his illness held him back though, I concede)
Ollie - constantly on the go but sometimes as a headless chicken - now playing with real purpose.
Jim - looking very solid but sure the partnership developing with EOC is benefitting him.
Morley - really coming on. OK this might have happened regardless but Adshead was being picked ahead of him mostly and now he features in most games it seems.
Hendo will always be Hendo.
The team is back to playing as a collective rather than a group of individuals

KH managed to rally us to keep us up once and may have done so again, but the second season seemed a steeper mountain to climb and it's hypothetical now anyway. BBM has brought in a discipline and belief that largely deserted us during the last 2 seasons, but the reasons for our previous successes were back in spades last night and it has no doubt lifted fans and players alike.

I would love to get the "insiders" (players and managers) view of how it all went wrong and why it appears to have corrected itself again now (still early days). It just goes to show the fine margins between getting it right and getting it wrong. I hope we have now got it right and start getting the results these type of performances deserve.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Sunderland game on 10:07 - Aug 21 with 1957 viewsJimmyRustler

Just to add to what everyone else is saying, what a player O'Connell looks. If he carries on the way he's going then he could leave a legacy similar to that of his namesake.

A mention for Jimmy Ryan as well. If he can stay fit then he is the all action midfielder we have needed for a good few years.

Oh and Rathbone has improved immeasurably in this calendar year. I used to be one of his biggest critics but he is one of the first names on the team sheet now for me. Unreal first half performance last night.
Sunderland game on 10:08 - Aug 21 with 1950 viewsTVOS1907

Sunderland game on 09:41 - Aug 21 by scarrow

Great performance

2900 home fans is an excellent amount, given it's the school holidays, a plethora of home games and the increased price for non-season ticket holders.

Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly doesn't 'get' the fanbase.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Sunderland game on 10:10 - Aug 21 with 1948 viewsfitzochris

Sunderland game on 10:07 - Aug 21 by DaleiLama

I'm actually fascinated, as I'm sure most are, by the "sports psychology" aspect of all this. Clearly, we have never consistently achieved more in our history as with KH at the helm, including both league finishes and Cup runs during his tenure. This squad is also largely his, as pointed out above. Then we were subjected to 2 seasons of absolute dross in the most part - not the worst dross in our history as many regulars during the lean years will attest - but dross nevertheless.

There are undoubted "cause and effect" factors that have contributed to his downfall (as already discussed on here in the past) including, but not exclusively, playing players out of position, tinkering with winning teams, the g/k merry-go-round, squad size, first team players "out of favour" and turning on the fans. Feel free to add to the list.

MJ - fit as a butcher's dog, lean, goes in for every challenge and makes "game-saving" type tackles routinely (would have pulled out of most of them before)
Dooley - came in to the club and looked good and full of promise but his form collapsed and he looked spent. Contender for motm every week now.
Callum - back to close to his peak now. Looks a constant threat around the edge of the box. (Can't be sure how much his illness held him back though, I concede)
Ollie - constantly on the go but sometimes as a headless chicken - now playing with real purpose.
Jim - looking very solid but sure the partnership developing with EOC is benefitting him.
Morley - really coming on. OK this might have happened regardless but Adshead was being picked ahead of him mostly and now he features in most games it seems.

KH managed to rally us to keep us up once and may have done so again, but the second season seemed a steeper mountain to climb and it's hypothetical now anyway. BBM has brought in a discipline and belief that largely deserted us during the last 2 seasons, but the reasons for our previous successes were back in spades last night and it has no doubt lifted fans and players alike.

I would love to get the "insiders" (players and managers) view of how it all went wrong and why it appears to have corrected itself again now (still early days). It just goes to show the fine margins between getting it right and getting it wrong. I hope we have now got it right and start getting the results these type of performances deserve.

I said during pre-season that a lot of players had been left from underperforming seasons and BBM’s challenge would be to get them playing. Based on last night, he seems to have managed that. It also helps when playing players in their natural position, however.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Sunderland game on 10:31 - Aug 21 with 1867 viewsisitme

Sunderland game on 10:10 - Aug 21 by fitzochris

I said during pre-season that a lot of players had been left from underperforming seasons and BBM’s challenge would be to get them playing. Based on last night, he seems to have managed that. It also helps when playing players in their natural position, however.

And playing to their strengths.
Sunderland game on 10:53 - Aug 21 with 1786 viewsJames1980

Recall reading an article where BBM mentioned, Hill watching videos of Barca and saying he wanted to kill teams with possession.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Sunderland game on 11:27 - Aug 21 with 1680 viewsdingdangblue

Sunderland game on 10:53 - Aug 21 by James1980

Recall reading an article where BBM mentioned, Hill watching videos of Barca and saying he wanted to kill teams with possession.

The end product just is lacking at the minute. Hopefully it will come. 3 league games now since our opening win and just a flukey goal from Morley and last nights Camps scuffed effort. We rely so much on Henderson's goals that if he has a few dry spells it will be much harder for us to turn these great performances into wins. Hopefully Pyke isn't out for too long as he's looked very good in the opening few games and we haven't got another similar replacement (pace,power,height,running). Blackpool is another great test for us on Saturday - nothing to fear and looking forward to games is a strange feeling after the last few seasons of struggle.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Sunderland game on 11:47 - Aug 21 with 1618 viewsD_Alien

Sunderland game on 10:07 - Aug 21 by DaleiLama

I'm definitely one for the psychology of it (as you know) and just to add to your excellent post, BBM had plenty of opportunity to study what was going wrong from the sidelines and the player management nonsenses. I'm therefore optimistic they won't be repeated and as BBM settles further into his role his natural unassuming positivity combined with the steeliness we've seen him display (e.g. over the goalkeeper) will only further improve our team

There's bound to be some setbacks along the way, but whisper it (in a Cork accent), i'm beginning to think he could take us to a new level, and without the histrionics of his predecessor. Of course, we wouldn't be here in L1 but for KH, but BBM might just be turning a platform into a launch pad

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Sunderland game on 12:02 - Aug 21 with 1554 viewsSAFCMicK

Sunderland game on 11:47 - Aug 21 by D_Alien

I'm definitely one for the psychology of it (as you know) and just to add to your excellent post, BBM had plenty of opportunity to study what was going wrong from the sidelines and the player management nonsenses. I'm therefore optimistic they won't be repeated and as BBM settles further into his role his natural unassuming positivity combined with the steeliness we've seen him display (e.g. over the goalkeeper) will only further improve our team

There's bound to be some setbacks along the way, but whisper it (in a Cork accent), i'm beginning to think he could take us to a new level, and without the histrionics of his predecessor. Of course, we wouldn't be here in L1 but for KH, but BBM might just be turning a platform into a launch pad

Just wanted to say, what a good team you have, by far the best team i've seen us play this season and most of last season.Good luck on the rest of the season, you will be fine and thanks for last night, you're supporters were a credit to the club, had some good conversation with quite a few of you
Sunderland game on 12:19 - Aug 21 with 1504 viewsrkershaw

Sunderland game on 12:02 - Aug 21 by SAFCMicK

Just wanted to say, what a good team you have, by far the best team i've seen us play this season and most of last season.Good luck on the rest of the season, you will be fine and thanks for last night, you're supporters were a credit to the club, had some good conversation with quite a few of you

One appealing buzz word that BBM often utilises during interviews is that of 'aggression' (obviously measured and in keeping within the boundaries of the laws of the game). This has been evident since his tenure commenced and epitomises our new style of play; both in and out possession.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 12:24]
Sunderland game on 12:37 - Aug 21 with 1450 viewsrochedale

Sunderland game on 12:19 - Aug 21 by rkershaw

One appealing buzz word that BBM often utilises during interviews is that of 'aggression' (obviously measured and in keeping within the boundaries of the laws of the game). This has been evident since his tenure commenced and epitomises our new style of play; both in and out possession.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 12:24]

Some of the tackles last night were superb, very brave, and if mis-timed, could’ve lead to injury and/or cards being shown. Thankfully they were executed perfectly - great to watch.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Sunderland game on 12:57 - Aug 21 with 1366 viewsDaleiLama

Sunderland game on 11:47 - Aug 21 by D_Alien

I think and hope you will be proved right. I commented last night how BBM pulls people into position from the sidelines and has a quick word here and there - contrast to Hilly who used to shout at "Harrison" and "Doney" virtually all game. Noticeable contrast which I'm sure doesn't escape the players.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024