Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us 19:17 - Oct 3 with 9030 viewsThacks_Rabbits

In light of Pogba strutting about stealing a living last week I was trying to think of ex players here who never appeared to give 100% effort. I don’t mean the likes of George Donnelly, who always gave his all with limited talent or those we signed such as Mark Leonard who were finished really, regardless of effort.

I can’t think of that many really, Binman maybe, Paddy always gave his all but clearly had stamina issues, Jason Peake I recall being criticised for bottling tackles and Paul Williams never tried 100%.

I am struggling to think of many other than Williams that definitely did not try their hardest.

Sure I have opened a can of worms here but my memory is not what it was!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 08:37 - Oct 4 with 2286 viewsJimmyRustler

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 00:10 - Oct 4 by Shun

Ashley Grimes gets my vote too, he has to be the winner. Clark Keltie for another nominee.

As for the Pogba debate, he’s a quality player. Along with DDG he’s the only top, top class player United have. He would absolutely excel in a top side, as he regularly does for France, as DA has already pointed out. I suspect he sees himself surrounded by mediocre players in a team whose only real achievement for the next few years will be winning the Europa League or scraping into the top 4, and his motivation plummets.

Whether that alone should preclude him from being labelled as a great player is up for debate, but his sheer talent shouldn’t be.

The thread (and initial OP) was about players who don't try though tbf. And Pogba is an absolute non-trier. There's no doubting his talent but giving your all should be the bare minimum expected by any player, hence the reason why he grates on so many. He has the ability to take games by the scruff of the neck and change things with a moment of genius or brilliance. Unfortunately, he's usually gallivanting around the half-way line rather than driving his team on like he's supposed to do.

Gifted? Absolutely. Lazy toerag? Without a doubt.

Anyway, as many have pointed out, Ashley Grimes springs to mind for us. However, an honourable mention must go to Roland Bergkamp (don't think I ever saw him jump in the limited time he was here).
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 09:09 - Oct 4 with 2221 viewsmingthemerciless

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 02:24 - Oct 4 by pioneer

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/bob-stokoe---the-man-w

Gordon Taylor was involved back then ! He's had a good run, I wonder how much he's earned in that time .

Regarding Pogba - not fit to lace Roy Keane or Bryan Robson's boots.
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 09:55 - Oct 4 with 2165 viewsSandyDrum

Gary Dicker.

I'll never forget his performance when we committed day(flood)light robbery at Chesterfield scoring 2 in the last 2 minute a few years back.

I've never seen anyone care any less about kicking a football than Gary Dicker that night.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 09:58 - Oct 4 with 2158 viewsChaffRAFC

Every one of Eyre's signings can come into this thread but Ashley Grimes is the single laziest player I've seen play football.

Hodges was lazy but also suffered with wonky feet.

Paddy McCourt was also very selective with his use of energy. Lung issue didn't help mind and the fact he was a genius with a ball at his feet means I will let him off.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 10:20 - Oct 4 with 2121 viewsParkinsGimp

Glen Murray?
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 10:26 - Oct 4 with 2116 viewsYadHoDale

Possibly Iyesden Christie, although like Leonard and Carter he was coming tO the end of a long career.

Maybe a couple of the younger players like Simon Holden or Trevor Snowden - both looked unfit a lot of the time.
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 10:43 - Oct 4 with 2093 viewsfrenzied

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 07:37 - Oct 4 by D_Alien

Well yes, I agree that players of his calibre and income level shouldn't need to be mollycoddled into performing, but who knows what goes on in a dressing room full of similar egos. Looked at from the perspective of someone working flat out to earn a modest living its pathetic, not to mention unfair in the extreme

It's easy enough to be critical (which I am) but the decline in standards at Man U would need an exceptionally strong character to turn up and pull his tripe out every week; and Pogba is nothing like a strong character

At our level, the danger has always been of finding you've signed someone with talent but no character, or simply past it. This time last year, Alby was in danger of falling into that category, but a change of manager worked wonders

I can recall the much maligned Stuart Hall..whose footy commentary I liked a great deal..saying many years ago that the prob with the game was that we had far too many average players earning huge amounts of money and assuming they were far better than what they were purely on the basis they were being paid mega bucks
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 11:02 - Oct 4 with 2065 viewsD_Alien

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 10:43 - Oct 4 by frenzied

I can recall the much maligned Stuart Hall..whose footy commentary I liked a great deal..saying many years ago that the prob with the game was that we had far too many average players earning huge amounts of money and assuming they were far better than what they were purely on the basis they were being paid mega bucks

The notorious Stuart Hall was a half-decent player himself. He turned out for an All-Stars XI at a charity game played (oddly enough) on Rochdale Hornets ground in the 1970s. Anyone else remember that game? I think he fancied himself as being better than he was though, and the comment you've highlighted possibly came from envy that he wasn't quite good enough to turn pro!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 11:36 - Oct 4 with 2042 viewsfrenzied

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 11:02 - Oct 4 by D_Alien

The notorious Stuart Hall was a half-decent player himself. He turned out for an All-Stars XI at a charity game played (oddly enough) on Rochdale Hornets ground in the 1970s. Anyone else remember that game? I think he fancied himself as being better than he was though, and the comment you've highlighted possibly came from envy that he wasn't quite good enough to turn pro!

Never knew that..!

The old tv prog its a knockout with Stuart and Eddie Waring was also worth a watch back in the 70s.
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 13:25 - Oct 4 with 1949 viewselectricblue

Matt Dickens.
Ruben Reid.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 15:22 - Oct 4 with 1903 viewsNewbury_Dale

Andy Gouck.
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 15:45 - Oct 4 with 1875 viewsTVOS1907

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 15:22 - Oct 4 by Newbury_Dale

Andy Gouck.

Eh?

He was one of the better players in two of the three awful teams of the Barrow era.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 15:53 - Oct 4 with 1861 viewsEllDale

If we're talking about players who appeared to be languid then Morike (sp?) Sako must be top of that list.
Probably also the tallest player to appear for Dale until Bobby Sanchez turned up.
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 16:25 - Oct 4 with 1836 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 15:22 - Oct 4 by Newbury_Dale

Andy Gouck.

“Fat Bob” always gave his all.

Remember him getting punched a few times by Alvin Martin when it kicked off, think it was Orient at home but not sure!

Ashley Grimes I agree was bloody lazy and never fulfilled what he could have achieved, I was pretty excited when we signed him!

Dickens was just shit despite trying!

Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 17:22 - Oct 4 with 1808 viewselectricblue

Lee Buggy...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 20:22 - Oct 4 with 1737 viewsYadHoDale

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 17:22 - Oct 4 by electricblue

Lee Buggy...

Was clearly out of his depth, but don't recall him not trying in his brief sub appearance.
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 20:30 - Oct 4 with 1732 viewssoulboy

Keith Barker
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 21:06 - Oct 4 with 1702 viewsMolly

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 20:30 - Oct 4 by soulboy

Keith Barker

A much better cricketer now than he was a footballer then.
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 12:59 - Oct 5 with 1558 viewsoddjob007

It’s interesting people’s perception of lazy. I would class the likes of Paul Tait, Barnes-Homer, Keith Barker as just not very good, rather than lazy. I would agree with Hodges and Grimes being lazy!
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 21:57 - Oct 5 with 1458 viewsParechart

Doyle . Forgot his first name . Dave Suttons pet and friend.
Never give anything over 27%.
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 22:15 - Oct 5 with 1438 viewssoulboy

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 09:09 - Oct 4 by mingthemerciless

Gordon Taylor was involved back then ! He's had a good run, I wonder how much he's earned in that time .

Regarding Pogba - not fit to lace Roy Keane or Bryan Robson's boots.

Taylor was reportedly on £500,000 none of it earned he was just paid it!
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 22:49 - Oct 5 with 1413 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 21:57 - Oct 5 by Parechart

Doyle . Forgot his first name . Dave Suttons pet and friend.
Never give anything over 27%.

Steve Doyle. Ageing sluggish non goal scoring midfielder, he did a good job for us although widely criticised for being negative. He was a very calming influence and think he was suspended for a lot of the games when we went on the awful run at the end of the season, meaning we missed out on the play offs. We missed him a lot!

May not have been everyone’s cup of tea and was unpopular with many, he never lacked effort though and was a really nice bloke.

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 08:22 - Oct 6 with 1316 viewsseasidedale

Not dale but I remember Berbatov at Man U being lazy, specifically on the radio they gave stats saying he covered 2.k km in this game, which sounded ok, themn said the goalkeeper had covered 4.5 km in the same game, just made me smile.
I think most of the players in my time watching dale were not very good not lazy but agree with the couple mentioned
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 08:58 - Oct 6 with 1309 viewsmingthemerciless

Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 22:49 - Oct 5 by Thacks_Rabbits

Steve Doyle. Ageing sluggish non goal scoring midfielder, he did a good job for us although widely criticised for being negative. He was a very calming influence and think he was suspended for a lot of the games when we went on the awful run at the end of the season, meaning we missed out on the play offs. We missed him a lot!

May not have been everyone’s cup of tea and was unpopular with many, he never lacked effort though and was a really nice bloke.

I thought he was a decent player. I can see why someone else might consider him " lazy " but he was always available to receive a pass and get the team moving. He just wasn't the sort of midfield player that throws himself into tackles etc.
Ex players who never appeared to give 100% for us on 13:16 - Oct 6 with 1232 viewsFatBoyCassy

Gary Madine "Goal Machine"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024