Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wigan 13:42 - Jul 1 with 907 viewsmfb_cufc

Wigan Athletic have gone into administration, becoming the first English professional club to do so since the coronavirus pandemic began.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53247333

I fear this could be the first of many to be affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

mfb

Wigan on 14:10 - Jul 1 with 900 viewsdurham_exile

Sadly Mick I have to agree with your assessment, but if they truly have debts of £200M, those have not just materialised since March 2020.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wigan on 15:28 - Jul 1 with 891 viewsLeadbelly

If it happens to a club mid table in the Championship then it would be a miracle if there aren’t more to follow.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Wigan on 17:11 - Jul 1 with 874 viewsFruitbat

Something fishy about this. The new owners only took over 4 weeks ago. Another indication, if one were needed, that the 'fit and proper' persons test is neither fit nor proper itself.
Wigan on 17:18 - Jul 1 with 873 viewsburnsieespana

Somewhere I saw it stated they have been well run so heaven help a lot of clubs.
Sadly we are going to see a number go into administration and likely at least one fold completely.
Trick times ahead but think how extra tough it will be for lower league clubs.
My wife's ex husband runs a Scottish Lowland League club and they have been successful over the last four years rising through the Scottish pyramid but they are desperate to raise funds to be able to start next season.
We will be glad of RC's prudent stewardship is my opinion even though we are unhappy with the departure of the four senior professionals.
However, we only have to look at the job losses being experienced in the retail and travel businesses with 11,000 lost in the last two days.
Wigan on 19:12 - Jul 1 with 861 viewsLeadbelly

Wigan on 17:11 - Jul 1 by Fruitbat

Something fishy about this. The new owners only took over 4 weeks ago. Another indication, if one were needed, that the 'fit and proper' persons test is neither fit nor proper itself.

Correct. As the adminstrators said:

"The funding that was due to come in from the owners didn't come in. I've had no contact with the owners and I don't know why the funding didn't come in. It might be coronavirus-related, I just don't know."

As an aside, possibly of interest to me only, one of the administrators is Gerald Krasner, a former chairman of Leeds Utd.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Wigan on 19:29 - Jul 14 with 790 viewsmfb_cufc

Wigan are currently beating Hull 8-0, with about 20 minutes left to play. Looks like they might avoid being relegated after all with their 12 point deduction.

Have just read this is a club-record. It is the first time they have scored 8 in a Football League match.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 19:55]

mfb

Wigan on 19:39 - Jul 14 with 787 viewsdurham_exile

Wigan on 19:29 - Jul 14 by mfb_cufc

Wigan are currently beating Hull 8-0, with about 20 minutes left to play. Looks like they might avoid being relegated after all with their 12 point deduction.

Have just read this is a club-record. It is the first time they have scored 8 in a Football League match.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 19:55]

I truly hope they do avoid relegation.
They have not been well served by their Owner, the EFL or the media.

Go Latics

Durham_exile

Wigan on 20:09 - Jul 14 with 768 viewsgerry_us

Wigan on 19:39 - Jul 14 by durham_exile

I truly hope they do avoid relegation.
They have not been well served by their Owner, the EFL or the media.

Go Latics

Good recovery by Hull....7-0 down before half time
Login to get fewer ads

Wigan on 21:38 - Jul 14 with 749 viewsDaniel

A timely reminder of our visit to Wigan under Humes. I believe we were 4-0 down after 20 minutes.
Wigan on 23:37 - Jul 14 with 734 viewsdurham_exile

Wigan on 21:38 - Jul 14 by Daniel

A timely reminder of our visit to Wigan under Humes. I believe we were 4-0 down after 20 minutes.

I was at that game and we were 4-0 down at HT and a late fifth put the U's well and truly to the sword.

Macca Bonne was an unused sub that day, so some things never change.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wigan on 10:31 - Jul 15 with 706 viewsburnsieespana

A good friend of mine is a lifetime supporter of Luton so has a vested interest in what happens to Wigan. It does seem Paul Cook is doing a good job and is on the verge of keeping them up despite a 12 point deduction.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024