Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thought watching U's was stressful 17:07 - Aug 4 with 3415 viewsgerry_us

Just watched the last afternoon's play Essex v Kent.
Essex cruising at lunch, Cookie going well.. then losing it midway through afternoon, then needing 40 to win with only two wickets left. Achieved the win without losing another wicket. Great afternoon on YouTube. Phew!
Thought watching U's was stressful on 17:28 - Sep 8 with 1005 viewsgerry_us

Thought watching U's was stressful on 15:48 - Sep 8 by mfb_cufc

With Essex beating Middlesex, and Derby failing to get a batting point, Essex have made the 5-day final to be played at Lords at the end of the month. Hope Worcester can beat Somerset now, as that would be easier, and a repeat of the T20 final from last season.

We can beat anyone in a 5 dayer at Lords. Just look at the bowling attack we have; Porter, Beard, Cook (Little Chef) and not forgetting a certain unknown spin bowler called Simon Harmer! Obviously not forgetting Cooky (Big Chef) who you can absolutely rely on a stack of runs in a final at the home of cricket.
Can't wait, just hope the weather holds..wouldn't it be great to have another trophy to go with all the others... absolutely can't wait.
Thought watching U's was stressful on 13:07 - Sep 9 with 955 viewsburnsieespana

Essex have such a varied lineup with anybody able to step up to the plate with the with a tremendous bowling performance or batting such as Wheater getting 82 not out in the first innings.....where did that come from I ask?
We have nobody apart from Sir Alastair who could score a double hundred yet everybody contributes particularly when needed as per our first innings against Middlesex..
Am I correct in thinking in this mini tournament nobody scored a hundred?
Thought watching U's was stressful on 13:38 - Sep 9 with 945 viewsLeadbelly

Thought watching U's was stressful on 13:07 - Sep 9 by burnsieespana

Essex have such a varied lineup with anybody able to step up to the plate with the with a tremendous bowling performance or batting such as Wheater getting 82 not out in the first innings.....where did that come from I ask?
We have nobody apart from Sir Alastair who could score a double hundred yet everybody contributes particularly when needed as per our first innings against Middlesex..
Am I correct in thinking in this mini tournament nobody scored a hundred?

Big Chef scored 129 not out against Hampshire in the game the rain won comfortably

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Thought watching U's was stressful on 14:23 - Sep 9 with 940 viewsmfb_cufc

Thought watching U's was stressful on 15:48 - Sep 8 by mfb_cufc

With Essex beating Middlesex, and Derby failing to get a batting point, Essex have made the 5-day final to be played at Lords at the end of the month. Hope Worcester can beat Somerset now, as that would be easier, and a repeat of the T20 final from last season.

Somerset it is then. Only right the two best teams in the Championship should meet in the final.

mfb

Thought watching U's was stressful on 15:11 - Sep 9 with 936 viewsgerry_us

Bring it on! Hopefully it will be televised properly, not one camera each end as recent matches...although much appreciated in the current circumstances. What a great opportunity for our young fast bowlers to demonstrate their talent to the cricketing world. Obviously the selectors have never found grounds we have played on this season!
Hopefully Lords will be a great end to the cricket season, obviously weather permitting and as U's embark on a similarly successful season.
Thought watching U's was stressful on 22:39 - Sep 22 with 895 viewsmfb_cufc

With a dodgy weather forecast for the first two days it is a good job they have got five if they need them.

Essex are at full strength, just got to decide if Browne or Walter open. Personally I hope it is Walter. Somerset are missing Bantom to the IPL, and Hildreth is out injured. Both teams strength is their bowling, and there is little to choose between them, but Essex have the stronger bating line-up, and I think that is what will edge it for them.

mfb

Thought watching U's was stressful on 10:28 - Sep 23 with 877 viewsMoor_Pinot

Thought watching U's was stressful on 22:39 - Sep 22 by mfb_cufc

With a dodgy weather forecast for the first two days it is a good job they have got five if they need them.

Essex are at full strength, just got to decide if Browne or Walter open. Personally I hope it is Walter. Somerset are missing Bantom to the IPL, and Hildreth is out injured. Both teams strength is their bowling, and there is little to choose between them, but Essex have the stronger bating line-up, and I think that is what will edge it for them.

Essex are at full strength Mick and are overal a better balanced team as they were last year.

I would not worry about Banton - he's only played 11 first class games and has never scored a ton; equally Hildreth who is probably the unluckiest player not to play for England has had no form for three seasons now. Three of Somerset's top 6 batsmen have fewer than 10 first class games between them! A fourth, Bartlett, has only played one full season. Essex' batting is stellar by comparison although I appreciate that it is possible Somerset are building something decent for the future down in Taunton. The bowling is more equable as you say but I still think Porter is a better bowler than Overton and Beard and Cook under rated. Brooks is expensive as is Gregory and both are over rated.
Essex have another hidden plus...............they know how to win Championships. Somerset never have and many a long time Somerset watcher used to tell me during my 22 years there that their culture meant that they never ever would. After all they used to say - we had Botham, Rose, Garner and Richards in one team and never came higher than 4th!

It is a fitting final though, whatever Yorkshire may moan and I hope it has some decent weather, they may need the five days! I agree with your prediction!

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Thought watching U's was stressful on 11:48 - Sep 23 with 870 viewsLeadbelly

Thought watching U's was stressful on 10:28 - Sep 23 by Moor_Pinot

Essex are at full strength Mick and are overal a better balanced team as they were last year.

I would not worry about Banton - he's only played 11 first class games and has never scored a ton; equally Hildreth who is probably the unluckiest player not to play for England has had no form for three seasons now. Three of Somerset's top 6 batsmen have fewer than 10 first class games between them! A fourth, Bartlett, has only played one full season. Essex' batting is stellar by comparison although I appreciate that it is possible Somerset are building something decent for the future down in Taunton. The bowling is more equable as you say but I still think Porter is a better bowler than Overton and Beard and Cook under rated. Brooks is expensive as is Gregory and both are over rated.
Essex have another hidden plus...............they know how to win Championships. Somerset never have and many a long time Somerset watcher used to tell me during my 22 years there that their culture meant that they never ever would. After all they used to say - we had Botham, Rose, Garner and Richards in one team and never came higher than 4th!

It is a fitting final though, whatever Yorkshire may moan and I hope it has some decent weather, they may need the five days! I agree with your prediction!

Up the U's

Somerset 46 - 2 so promising start by Essex.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Login to get fewer ads

Thought watching U's was stressful on 14:43 - Sep 25 with 831 viewsgerry_us

Nothing more certain than a century for Sir Alastair at Lords.
Essex in command...
Thought watching U's was stressful on 15:24 - Sep 25 with 823 viewsMoor_Pinot

Thought watching U's was stressful on 14:43 - Sep 25 by gerry_us

Nothing more certain than a century for Sir Alastair at Lords.
Essex in command...

Yep, as I mentioned in my post, no worries about it.
There is a huge gulf between these two good sides Gerry. It occurred to me that Cook has probably played at Lords more times than four of Somerset 's top six batsmen have had first class innings!!! Massive gulf in the batting. It was a bit of luck winning the toss as the Somerset attack is decent but I doubt it would have changed much.
The other thing is that Essex know how to win. They're the current champs. Somerset have never won the championship - ever. It's a barrier they've never managed to cross and having lived and played there for a long time I doubt they ever will. Selection is often weird..... Ask yourself why England's current spin bowler batsman is only sub! As I write young Lammonby is bowling - for only the second time in first class ckt - he'd never played it til last month!!

Moor Pinot

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:42 - Sep 25 with 810 viewsgerry_us

Thought watching U's was stressful on 15:24 - Sep 25 by Moor_Pinot

Yep, as I mentioned in my post, no worries about it.
There is a huge gulf between these two good sides Gerry. It occurred to me that Cook has probably played at Lords more times than four of Somerset 's top six batsmen have had first class innings!!! Massive gulf in the batting. It was a bit of luck winning the toss as the Somerset attack is decent but I doubt it would have changed much.
The other thing is that Essex know how to win. They're the current champs. Somerset have never won the championship - ever. It's a barrier they've never managed to cross and having lived and played there for a long time I doubt they ever will. Selection is often weird..... Ask yourself why England's current spin bowler batsman is only sub! As I write young Lammonby is bowling - for only the second time in first class ckt - he'd never played it til last month!!

Now squeaky bum time for a 1st. innings lead.
How will we cope without our Knight of the Realm as at some stage he will retire?
More stress tomorrow....
Thought watching U's was stressful on 00:21 - Sep 27 with 785 viewsmfb_cufc

Well Gerry your bum didn't squeak for long in the first innings, but get ready for a lot of squeaking today whatever target they are chasing.

mfb

Thought watching U's was stressful on 08:33 - Sep 27 with 778 viewsMoor_Pinot

Thought watching U's was stressful on 00:21 - Sep 27 by mfb_cufc

Well Gerry your bum didn't squeak for long in the first innings, but get ready for a lot of squeaking today whatever target they are chasing.

No probs Mick we'll win!
Just one observation I'd make, the boy Lammonby (8 first class innings in his life) & others from the opposition made very generous comments about what an attack we possess and Cook's innings yet not a single Essex member interviewed gave the lad's decent ton a mention. Pity. We're good, we're champions but we're not that good.

Moor Pinot

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:12 - Sep 27 with 745 viewsMoor_Pinot

Thought watching U's was stressful on 08:33 - Sep 27 by Moor_Pinot

No probs Mick we'll win!
Just one observation I'd make, the boy Lammonby (8 first class innings in his life) & others from the opposition made very generous comments about what an attack we possess and Cook's innings yet not a single Essex member interviewed gave the lad's decent ton a mention. Pity. We're good, we're champions but we're not that good.

Never any need for squeaking Gerry.

Another trophy for the Champions.
Never in any doubt after we'd (advantageously) won the toss.
The opposition never ever at any stage held the upper hand in the five days.
Rather a dull last hour or so but Champions know how to win. Another trophy on the shelf.

Moor Pinot

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:31 - Sep 27 with 741 viewsbwildered

Had a few rocky moments , but that's were Champions come through .
Do you get a medal Noah for the previous match efforts ??

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Thought watching U's was stressful on 20:37 - Sep 27 with 732 viewsnoah4x4

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:31 - Sep 27 by bwildered

Had a few rocky moments , but that's were Champions come through .
Do you get a medal Noah for the previous match efforts ??

Nope, but then my regular 'Essex' colleague didn't get a medal for scoring the World Cup Final! There is a further argument against such an award for me as I actually replaced the Kent, Surrey and Middlesex regular scorers in this Covid restricted world of no travel (except players) bubbles. However, at some stage I am sure we will have a party in Chelmsford (socially distanced of course) and I do get a cheque for enjoying the best hobby and without doubt, having the best view in the ground, albeit this week I had to watch the live stream like everybody else (via BBC and Sky YouTube, but it was the Middlesex CCC stream).

I really felt for the Lords team today when the electronic scoreboard briefly failed at the start of play and the radio commentary team made a meal of it. A manual scoreboard ensured that the game could proceed. Yes, I have heard similar groans at Chelmsford when we suffer a similar glitch. What folk might not realise is that both scoreboard and live stream score overlay are directly driven from the live scorer's laptop. What is really clever is that all scorers and video analyst laptops are networked and if any of us are out of synchronisation with the others an alarm is triggered enabling (almost) instant identification and error correction between us, but sorry, we occasionally do make the odd error and concentrating for over eight hours can be challenging.

But the electronics and network between input source and output is then highly complex as scoreboard, video stream and audio stream are software 'mixed' from seperate inputs from scorer, video analyst, media manager and the radio commentary, all located in different rooms, made more complex by each being in seperate covid-safe bubbles. Sadly, Internet or Network 'lag' means that sometimes (say) audio problems can occur with lip-synchronisation or the scoreboard overlay be a ball behind live play and it's somewhat challenging to fix this timing. You can't imagine how stressful delivering the live stream can be without having the greater resources of regular TV broadcasters, so I think all of the Counties (and ECB) have done a great job during this Covid-19 season in bringing FREE local live streams to the fans . Today, I suspect a relay will have failed under the LED scoreboard, so in essence a simple break in power. But unlike floodlight failure (far more common), the game doesn't stop whilst the engineers find the fault. Crawling into a cobweb filled void to replace a failed electronic component must be the worst job in cricket!

But Champions were are......yet another new flag needed!
[Post edited 27 Sep 2020 20:40]
Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:07 - Sep 28 with 691 viewsbwildered

Dogey Huawei circuit board component or perhaps old TV in a recent case found which disrupted transmission in a Welsh viliage found by special investigation unit . Thought the correct score is responcable by the Umpire at the end of every over.Can see streaming the way ahead for ECB .

Now Conference and Championship Champions, even the U's can't do that.

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:13 - Sep 28 with 690 viewsburnsieespana

Well done Essex and a good watch.
I am correct in thinking we have won this trophy for ever?
This has been an exciting tournament and maybe the way forward for the red ball game in the future. Finishing season with a five day game like we have just had is the way forward.
Thought watching U's was stressful on 20:38 - Sep 28 with 675 viewsbwildered

It was a one off competition to replace the Championship due to the shortened season . However predominate noises are being made to restructure the present Championship to a Conference system made of three divisions of six with a complicated seeding system to prevent playing the same six local sides which happened this season .

Thought watching U's was stressful on 13:12 - Sep 29 with 659 viewsburnsieespana

Good to hear changes are afoot to bring the championship more valid and hopefully more competitive from an England perspective.
What this year showed is previously uncompetive counties such as Derbyshire did well.
This year because of pandemic sensible to be as local as possible.
I liked the idea of a five day final with the tie brake being first innings lead as made Somerset Gamble a bit, they could have been braver by giving themselves 90 overs.
All in all been a decent competition in my opinion.
Thought watching U's was stressful on 16:56 - Sep 29 with 651 viewsMoor_Pinot

Thought watching U's was stressful on 13:12 - Sep 29 by burnsieespana

Good to hear changes are afoot to bring the championship more valid and hopefully more competitive from an England perspective.
What this year showed is previously uncompetive counties such as Derbyshire did well.
This year because of pandemic sensible to be as local as possible.
I liked the idea of a five day final with the tie brake being first innings lead as made Somerset Gamble a bit, they could have been braver by giving themselves 90 overs.
All in all been a decent competition in my opinion.

If you've never ever won anything in 125 years Burnsie and your captain was still at school six years ago you're not going to outsmart Tendo nor are you going to be brave as you suggest because you have no parameters to give you that experience. Men and boys like I always said it was.

Well controlled victory by Essex from (advantageous) toss to the end. Opposition tried hard and were much more gracious in defeat than we were in victory - pity (take note Mr Porter).

As for the county championship, you're right Burnsie. There must be a way to enliven it and I think it should be called the 'Derbyshire effect'. They were the surprise package. I wondered about north/south regions of nine, playing eight games four at home four away. The two top points scorers from each section to play semi finals whereby fourth plays highest points scorer and third highest plays second highest points scorer. Winners play five day final. Bottom sides from each section to play five day wooden spoon play off. This would mean 10 games for the best sides, 9 for the third and fourth best, 8 for the others but with a ninth game for the two who don't want to be bottom!
Just an idea.

Moor Pinot

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:08 - Oct 1 with 624 viewsmfb_cufc

Good news for Essex. It was thought Tendo was retiring at the end of this season, but it has been revealed today that he has signed a new one year contract. Even though he is 40 I was surprised to hear about him retiring, as I thought he looked as fit as ever this season, with his running between the wickets still as fast as anybody at the club.

mfb

Thought watching U's was stressful on 21:12 - Oct 1 with 615 viewsgerry_us

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:08 - Oct 1 by mfb_cufc

Good news for Essex. It was thought Tendo was retiring at the end of this season, but it has been revealed today that he has signed a new one year contract. Even though he is 40 I was surprised to hear about him retiring, as I thought he looked as fit as ever this season, with his running between the wickets still as fast as anybody at the club.

Excellent news especially as Sir Alastair is also looking forward to next season.
If we get cricket next season we will be the team to beat.. or not hopefully.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024