Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thought watching U's was stressful 17:07 - Aug 4 with 3448 viewsgerry_us

Just watched the last afternoon's play Essex v Kent.
Essex cruising at lunch, Cookie going well.. then losing it midway through afternoon, then needing 40 to win with only two wickets left. Achieved the win without losing another wicket. Great afternoon on YouTube. Phew!
Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:32 - Aug 4 with 2419 viewsmfb_cufc

Likewise Gerry. That is why they are Champions. Always find a way to win. Almost threw it away after Sir Alistair was wrongly given out LBW. Chance of another trophy beckons. If they had lost you could blame noah4x4, he was scoring for Kent.

You can see streaming of all the county games on https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 19:12]

mfb

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:40 - Aug 4 with 2414 viewsLeadbelly

Was watching the ODI but following Essex online. Even that was stressful. And some people say cricket is boring!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Thought watching U's was stressful on 21:17 - Aug 4 with 2378 viewsburnsieespana

Yes stressful following it from Spain.
Whilst Sir Alastair in we were cruising.
Who is the guy who batted at number 5 today?
Thought watching U's was stressful on 22:18 - Aug 4 with 2369 viewsmfb_cufc

Thought watching U's was stressful on 21:17 - Aug 4 by burnsieespana

Yes stressful following it from Spain.
Whilst Sir Alastair in we were cruising.
Who is the guy who batted at number 5 today?

The one batting at 5 was Ferose Khushi, making his first class debut. With Bopara gone to Sussex and Lawrence in the England set up, McGrath said the youngsters would be given a chance, and he was the first one. He looked a bit nervous 1st Innings, but did well today, and showed promise for the future. Though I don't know what coaching manual he got his stance from. Probably something like 'play better baseball'.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 22:37]

mfb

Thought watching U's was stressful on 22:30 - Aug 4 with 2365 viewsgerry_us

Thought watching U's was stressful on 22:18 - Aug 4 by mfb_cufc

The one batting at 5 was Ferose Khushi, making his first class debut. With Bopara gone to Sussex and Lawrence in the England set up, McGrath said the youngsters would be given a chance, and he was the first one. He looked a bit nervous 1st Innings, but did well today, and showed promise for the future. Though I don't know what coaching manual he got his stance from. Probably something like 'play better baseball'.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 22:37]

Odd that Bopara didn't play for Sussex in the first round of games. Will he turn out against Essex?
Thought watching U's was stressful on 23:34 - Aug 4 with 2355 viewsLeadbelly

Thought watching U's was stressful on 22:30 - Aug 4 by gerry_us

Odd that Bopara didn't play for Sussex in the first round of games. Will he turn out against Essex?

I think Bopara’s focus is on limited overs cricket these days.

Thought watching U's was stressful on 07:46 - Aug 5 with 2339 viewsnoah4x4

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:32 - Aug 4 by mfb_cufc

Likewise Gerry. That is why they are Champions. Always find a way to win. Almost threw it away after Sir Alistair was wrongly given out LBW. Chance of another trophy beckons. If they had lost you could blame noah4x4, he was scoring for Kent.

You can see streaming of all the county games on https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 19:12]

I did have the best seat in the ground, but wish to ensure folk that know me that my defection to Kent was merely temporary as home clubs must provide both scorers during the pandemic.

But what a game of cricket! Nail-biting finish, tea delayed because Kent fancied they could knock over Cook (S) and Quinn in a few balls, but the Chelmsford boy did a Panasar and held them up whilst Wheater nudged us closer. Tea was unexpectedly reached, then both played some fine shots. Even with five needed and still two wickets in hand, any one of three results were possible.

One must also admire the fan in Hayes Close that put a deck chair on the roof of his shed, knotted a hankie on his head, to enjoy an incredible unpredictable finish. Who says cricket is boring?

P.s, I have seen a lot of Feroze Kushi for Wanstead and Essex II's. Fine player. Yes, his stance is odd. Similar to Darren Ironside of Billericay. I wonder if this is the new way? Both Essex youngsters, highly coached......
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 7:53]
Thought watching U's was stressful on 10:30 - Aug 6 with 2290 viewsbwildered

Even one of FOUR results possible Noah .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Login to get fewer ads

Thought watching U's was stressful on 13:11 - Aug 6 with 2270 viewsbwildered

Anybody want a extra cricket fix, currently available on BBC Iplayer under documentaries, The Edge.

Thought watching U's was stressful on 16:10 - Aug 6 with 2256 viewsnoah4x4

Thought watching U's was stressful on 10:30 - Aug 6 by bwildered

Even one of FOUR results possible Noah .

Actually five results were possible, but I reckon only three were realistic.....

1. Essex Win,
2. Kent win
3. A tie.

I suppose in theory, Essex could have ended two runs short at close of play, with one wicket remaining, having blocked out almost an entire session for nil runs to create a (4) Draw. But the odds of that were longer than me opening the batting next match. Frankly, there was too much time left for a draw to be possible.

The fifth...... just a variant of (4).

......Match Abandoned as a draw (rain, bad light, pestilence, earthquake, pandemic, riot, civil commotion, terrorism.......blah blah...).

To be fair, the revision to tie/draw points mean, in effect only three outcomes in that context. A draw or tie now BOTH equalling 8 points.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 16:21]
Thought watching U's was stressful on 16:29 - Aug 11 with 2196 viewsgerry_us

Another splendid afternoon's cricket on tv and good win for Essex although what we would do without Simon Harmer doesn't bear thinking about. Would also state he has become a much better bowler and all rounder since he joined us and now may soon become a possible recruit for England?
Are we on our way to a Bob Willis trophy? Would be nice to go next to the Championship trophy.
Thought watching U's was stressful on 19:36 - Aug 11 with 2177 viewsnoah4x4

It was obvious from the first over of the day that Surrey had no intent of attempting to win and that made it more difficult for Essex. It's then like playing football against a ten man team, often harder to break down.

It was once again Harmers day, helped by some awful shots by some Surrey batsmen. But here some credit should perhaps go to Cook (S) and Porter that strangled and frustrated them from the other end and each deserved more. The batsmen sought a release against Harmer and his guile was simply too good.
Thought watching U's was stressful on 20:17 - Aug 11 with 2170 viewsbwildered

Fifthteen straight home victories, even the U's would like a home record similiar too that. Might get us a play off position end of next season.

Thought watching U's was stressful on 20:21 - Aug 11 with 2163 viewsLeadbelly

Thought watching U's was stressful on 16:29 - Aug 11 by gerry_us

Another splendid afternoon's cricket on tv and good win for Essex although what we would do without Simon Harmer doesn't bear thinking about. Would also state he has become a much better bowler and all rounder since he joined us and now may soon become a possible recruit for England?
Are we on our way to a Bob Willis trophy? Would be nice to go next to the Championship trophy.

If Harmer is or could be eligible for England selection then his inclusion would certainly improve the spin options. Would not do Essex any favours however.

Thought watching U's was stressful on 20:57 - Aug 11 with 2154 viewsnoah4x4

Thought watching U's was stressful on 20:21 - Aug 11 by Leadbelly

If Harmer is or could be eligible for England selection then his inclusion would certainly improve the spin options. Would not do Essex any favours however.

Perhaps limited risk of Harmer being selected for England unless he moves to York's, Lanc's, or Surrey, or am I being too cynical?

Not giving Lawrence an opportunity was (IMHO) a disgrace, and now a family bereavement will frustrate him from gaining a debut this season as he has had to leave the covid 'bubble'. The England top order is so fragile, it needs new blood.
Thought watching U's was stressful on 22:08 - Aug 11 with 2142 viewsgerry_us

Thought watching U's was stressful on 20:57 - Aug 11 by noah4x4

Perhaps limited risk of Harmer being selected for England unless he moves to York's, Lanc's, or Surrey, or am I being too cynical?

Not giving Lawrence an opportunity was (IMHO) a disgrace, and now a family bereavement will frustrate him from gaining a debut this season as he has had to leave the covid 'bubble'. The England top order is so fragile, it needs new blood.

Champions; mostly home grown, unbelievable home running win; genuine contention for Bob Willis Cup.
Why would England want to select any of our players? Suspect Cookie thinks he was lucky playing for England ....and Essex.
Thought watching U's was stressful on 10:42 - Aug 12 with 2123 viewsMoor_Pinot

Thought watching U's was stressful on 22:08 - Aug 11 by gerry_us

Champions; mostly home grown, unbelievable home running win; genuine contention for Bob Willis Cup.
Why would England want to select any of our players? Suspect Cookie thinks he was lucky playing for England ....and Essex.

Spot on Gerry. So right.
I can see Somerset supporters empathising when referenced to Hildreth.

Moor Pinot

Thought watching U's was stressful on 13:34 - Aug 12 with 2115 viewsmfb_cufc

Harmer is unlikely to play for England due to rule changes after brexit.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/uk-sports/2020/08/11/essexs-simon-harmer-ad

mfb

Thought watching U's was stressful on 15:43 - Aug 12 with 2108 viewsgerry_us

Thought watching U's was stressful on 13:34 - Aug 12 by mfb_cufc

Harmer is unlikely to play for England due to rule changes after brexit.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/uk-sports/2020/08/11/essexs-simon-harmer-ad

Sad for Harmer...GREAT for Essex.
Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:01 - Aug 12 with 2099 viewsburnsieespana

Gerry my interruption of the article was he might even struggle to play for Essex in the future.
Thought watching U's was stressful on 23:58 - Aug 12 with 2082 viewsLeadbelly

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:01 - Aug 12 by burnsieespana

Gerry my interruption of the article was he might even struggle to play for Essex in the future.

That’s what the article says but I can’t see why. Presumably he could be classed as an overseas player...unless yet another added “benefit” of Brexit means he can’t.

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:12 - Aug 18 with 2042 viewsmfb_cufc

How are the stress levels today Gerry? As Essex tried to clutch a defeat from the jaws of victory. Another good win though, true sign of Champions, always manage to find a way of winning games.

mfb

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:17 - Aug 18 with 2039 viewsgerry_us

Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:12 - Aug 18 by mfb_cufc

How are the stress levels today Gerry? As Essex tried to clutch a defeat from the jaws of victory. Another good win though, true sign of Champions, always manage to find a way of winning games.

Phew. .... traumatic last hour.
Being acclimatised to the U's new season travails.
Thought watching U's was stressful on 18:39 - Aug 18 with 2031 viewsburnsieespana

Been dipping in and out all day. Once again somebody came up trumps.
Had not realised until today although three groups only the two teams finishing top with highest points tally on test the final.
Thought watching U's was stressful on 15:48 - Sep 8 with 1910 viewsmfb_cufc

With Essex beating Middlesex, and Derby failing to get a batting point, Essex have made the 5-day final to be played at Lords at the end of the month. Hope Worcester can beat Somerset now, as that would be easier, and a repeat of the T20 final from last season.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024