Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Personal dilemma 19:39 - Aug 12 with 11982 viewsEllDale

For weeks I’ve been looking forward to standing in a queue on Saturday clutching my debit card to buy my new season card.
I’m beginning to wonder now though and pessimism is setting in.
Shall I leave if for a couple of weeks until nearer the deadline or not is my personal quandary.
Other clubs are signing players, other clubs have more players in training, other clubs (eg Crewe) are even playing friendlies.
We seem really light on numbers and our only signing (although I fervently hope he is successful) is a 24 year old with no league experience.
He could be the new Scott Hogan; on the other hand he could be the new Jordan Williams/Jack Muldoon/Jon Shaw.
Unfortunately I remember 1973/74 and couldn’t stand six months of that when a raft of senior players left and we put our faith in untried youth.
For the first time in 60 years my faith is wavering.
Personal dilemma on 20:34 - Aug 13 with 2382 viewsAtThePeake

Personal dilemma on 19:33 - Aug 13 by tony_roch975

totally and utterly disagree - if you call yourself a Dale supporter the only reason you would not buy a ticket to keep your club going is because you don't have the money. None of the problems you cite are down to the club, they're the result of government decisions - take it up with Boris. If you see yourself as a customer rather than a supporter this is the wrong forum for you to post on. Life's tough enough for so many at the moment, negative miseries like this aren't needed to add to that. The only ones giving up the fight are so-called fans with your attitude. I'm going to believe the small squad will suffice, the youngsters will thrive, the financial prudence of our club will be rewarded and we will survive.
Up the Dale

I haven't said that those problems are the fault of the club. I've said that I don't think the product on offer is worth the price that has been set and I won't be paying over the odds for it on the grounds that people like yourself think that means "I'm not a Dale supporter."

It's a dangerous precedent to set when we're saying that if people have enough money to afford a ticket they should pay it no matter what. I actually would go as far to say that attitude is exactly why tickets are priced as highly as they are in this country. In Italy and Germany, when prices rose, fans voted with their feet, stopped going and look what happened - their football is affordable. Top flight football costs the same or cheaper over there as third tier football does here because here if you decide not to pay over the odds you are slapped with the "not a real fan" retort and as such, clubs feel they can charge whatever they please as mugs like us will still pay it.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Tangled up in blue.

Personal dilemma on 20:36 - Aug 13 with 2375 viewsnordenblue

totally and utterly disagree - if you call yourself a Dale supporter the only reason you would not buy a ticket to keep your club going is because you don't have the money. None of the problems you cite are down to the club, they're the result of government decisions - take it up with Boris. If you see yourself as a customer rather than a supporter this is the wrong forum for you to post on. Life's tough enough for so many at the moment, negative miseries like this aren't needed to add to that. The only ones giving up the fight are so-called fans with your attitude. I'm going to believe the small squad will suffice, the youngsters will thrive, the financial prudence of our club will be rewarded and we will survive.
Up the Dale

Life is tough enough at the moment you're absolutely bang on, while at the same time us fans could do with nothing more at the minute than a rallying cry and someone with a bit of backbone to stir up the emotional attachment we all clearly have in abundance to keep turning up season upon season.... instead we are expected to survive off some semi factual clichéd scraps of shite we get fed whenever our wonderful board can be arsed even making a comment, and a manager who's appeared more for an interview in glossy mags than anything remotely to do with his job for months on end....
One thing our glorious CEO got correct we are a patient bunch... too fooking patient
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 20:40]
Personal dilemma on 20:41 - Aug 13 with 2341 views49thseason

Personal dilemma on 20:02 - Aug 13 by Shun

Just had it confirmed by a club employee that the pitch has indeed been raised a few feet.

So they have taken the downhill slope off the pitch by raising the Sandy Lane End, have they taken any off the Pearl Street end too?
As a kid it was thought that there was about 5ft difference which seems to have been reduced somewhat over the years so maybe a couple of feet up at the sandy end and a foot down at the other? At least the goals won't be uphill from the corners any more.
I guess the main risk now is of players ending up in the Sandy if someone times a decent shove in the back correctly.
Personal dilemma on 20:54 - Aug 13 with 2296 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Personal dilemma on 20:41 - Aug 13 by 49thseason

So they have taken the downhill slope off the pitch by raising the Sandy Lane End, have they taken any off the Pearl Street end too?
As a kid it was thought that there was about 5ft difference which seems to have been reduced somewhat over the years so maybe a couple of feet up at the sandy end and a foot down at the other? At least the goals won't be uphill from the corners any more.
I guess the main risk now is of players ending up in the Sandy if someone times a decent shove in the back correctly.

Tbh. Even with a decent shove, set up perfectly, Calvin could have ended up in the family stand 😂

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Personal dilemma on 21:01 - Aug 13 with 2276 views49thseason

Personal dilemma on 20:54 - Aug 13 by Thacks_Rabbits

Tbh. Even with a decent shove, set up perfectly, Calvin could have ended up in the family stand 😂

But only because he had found a banjo and was looking for a barn door.... It wouldn't have had anything to do with an attempt on goal.
Personal dilemma on 21:07 - Aug 13 with 2248 viewsjudd

Up the Dale

You are normally such a good and reasoned poster. It's such a shame you have felt the need to effectively define supporters as only those who can and will buy season tickets at whatever price.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Personal dilemma on 21:10 - Aug 13 with 2239 viewsTVOS1907

Personal dilemma on 20:02 - Aug 13 by Shun

Just had it confirmed by a club employee that the pitch has indeed been raised a few feet.

Hope it wasn't Jack The Kitman!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Personal dilemma on 21:18 - Aug 13 with 2199 viewsTVOS1907

Up the Dale

ATP has put sterling work into this forum and the podcasts, he wrote regular pages for TVOS in the past (even upsetting a couple of managers along the way) and was even a mascot in his youth!

He has travelled down from Sunderland in his uni days to watch games and has probably done plenty of other things I don't know about.

While I don't agree with his reasons for not getting a season card, it's up to individuals what they choose to do, so to question his support and commitment is poor form.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Personal dilemma on 21:25 - Aug 13 with 2173 viewsCanaDale

I thought that football in the time of corona couldn’t get any worse. It was encouraging that fans would be allowed inside stadiums. I thought things would be returning to something along the lines of normalcy. Now to hear that you are only allowed in, providing you sit down and say nothing! What a load of shit. If this is going to be the case for the majority/entirety of the season, then just don’t let fans in! There are few impossibilities in life, but this is one of them. In the heat of the game, someone, somewhere will spout out something, football fans just can’t stay still when watching their own team, it just can’t be done. And then what? Evicted from the stadium? Don’t let fans in, if they can’t act like fans. I would not pay upto £23, to feel that I was being watched so intently. It isn’t an enjoyable environment to watch a football match in. How are you able to support your team in such circumstances, you just can’t.
Personal dilemma on 21:33 - Aug 13 with 2135 viewsD_Alien

Personal dilemma on 21:25 - Aug 13 by CanaDale

I thought that football in the time of corona couldn’t get any worse. It was encouraging that fans would be allowed inside stadiums. I thought things would be returning to something along the lines of normalcy. Now to hear that you are only allowed in, providing you sit down and say nothing! What a load of shit. If this is going to be the case for the majority/entirety of the season, then just don’t let fans in! There are few impossibilities in life, but this is one of them. In the heat of the game, someone, somewhere will spout out something, football fans just can’t stay still when watching their own team, it just can’t be done. And then what? Evicted from the stadium? Don’t let fans in, if they can’t act like fans. I would not pay upto £23, to feel that I was being watched so intently. It isn’t an enjoyable environment to watch a football match in. How are you able to support your team in such circumstances, you just can’t.

In completing the survey run by the Trust (link posted earlier today), i've enquired what recourse stewards will have in dealing with fans who, either deliberately or inadvertently, breach the guidelines

I wonder how fans behaviour will effectively be "policed" without causing ructions worse than the odd shout?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Personal dilemma on 21:53 - Aug 13 with 2089 viewsCanaDale

Personal dilemma on 21:33 - Aug 13 by D_Alien

In completing the survey run by the Trust (link posted earlier today), i've enquired what recourse stewards will have in dealing with fans who, either deliberately or inadvertently, breach the guidelines

I wonder how fans behaviour will effectively be "policed" without causing ructions worse than the odd shout?

That’s another thing, are there going to be levels of ‘misbehaviour’ What constitutes a talking to, and then what do you have to do that means you would get kicked out. So many side rules, that I’ve no doubt haven’t been thought out.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 21:55]
Personal dilemma on 22:01 - Aug 13 with 2069 viewsJames1980

We can all quietly chant. Shush shush shush shush shush. Shush shush shush. Shush shush.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Personal dilemma on 00:25 - Aug 14 with 1942 viewsdingdangblue

Personal dilemma on 17:24 - Aug 13 by dawlishdale

I'm told that the new pitch is a good few feet higher than the old one, and that views are not as good from the Sandy, or from the front rows of the stands.

If the pitch is higher wouldn't that make it easier to see from the Sandy?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Personal dilemma on 06:25 - Aug 14 with 1860 viewsnordenblue

Personal dilemma on 00:25 - Aug 14 by dingdangblue

If the pitch is higher wouldn't that make it easier to see from the Sandy?

Ehhh....Not sure how your eyes work ddb.....but the "aerial" view across the whole pitch from the Sandy was always pretty poor so bringing the pitch higher would reduce that even more surely?
Personal dilemma on 07:32 - Aug 14 with 1819 viewsdingdangblue

Personal dilemma on 06:25 - Aug 14 by nordenblue

Ehhh....Not sure how your eyes work ddb.....but the "aerial" view across the whole pitch from the Sandy was always pretty poor so bringing the pitch higher would reduce that even more surely?

I was thinking more that when I used to frequent the Sandy many years ago that the ball disappeared from view the closer the play got to the goal line - the front fence and advertising boards making it impossible to see - with the pitch being higher that would improve slightly? The main problem though is the terracing not inclining enough - the stand really should have been improved by now.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Personal dilemma on 09:02 - Aug 14 with 1759 viewsnordenblue

Personal dilemma on 07:32 - Aug 14 by dingdangblue

I was thinking more that when I used to frequent the Sandy many years ago that the ball disappeared from view the closer the play got to the goal line - the front fence and advertising boards making it impossible to see - with the pitch being higher that would improve slightly? The main problem though is the terracing not inclining enough - the stand really should have been improved by now.

Totally agree about inclining the terrace its always been a pretty shite view,but will always be something of a nowadays rare "proper" stand feeling about it...
Personal dilemma on 09:22 - Aug 14 with 1727 viewsjudd

Personal dilemma on 09:02 - Aug 14 by nordenblue

Totally agree about inclining the terrace its always been a pretty shite view,but will always be something of a nowadays rare "proper" stand feeling about it...

The shite view was traditionally associated with the terrace facing the pitch.

Personal dilemma on 09:34 - Aug 14 with 1707 viewsDaleiLama

Personal dilemma on 09:22 - Aug 14 by judd

The shite view was traditionally associated with the terrace facing the pitch.

The Poznan may make an appearance this season to rectify that?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Personal dilemma on 09:36 - Aug 14 with 1705 viewsjudd

Personal dilemma on 09:34 - Aug 14 by DaleiLama

The Poznan may make an appearance this season to rectify that?

Depends on how games are pole-iced.

Personal dilemma on 10:05 - Aug 14 with 1657 viewsseasidedale

Feel I must defend BBM,, he has been furloughed and therefore not allowed to post anything on the site, the magazine interview was for charity, masks for NHS I think
Personal dilemma on 10:10 - Aug 14 with 1634 viewsMass_Debater

Personal dilemma on 10:05 - Aug 14 by seasidedale

Feel I must defend BBM,, he has been furloughed and therefore not allowed to post anything on the site, the magazine interview was for charity, masks for NHS I think

He's been at training this week though.
Personal dilemma on 10:30 - Aug 14 with 1590 viewsDalenet

Personal dilemma on 10:05 - Aug 14 by seasidedale

You can't blame BBM if he hasn't been asked to do something. He has been off furlough for two weeks now and was occasionally brought back during the period of lockdown to deal with players and contracts. So if the club wanted him to talk to the fans by now they would have enabled it.
Personal dilemma on 11:25 - Aug 15 with 1330 viewsEllDale

As an update I’ve just bought my ticket for the Sandy online.
Loyalty and sentiment triumphed!
Personal dilemma on 13:02 - Aug 16 with 1022 viewsChaffRAFC

Personal dilemma on 10:30 - Aug 14 by Dalenet

You can't blame BBM if he hasn't been asked to do something. He has been off furlough for two weeks now and was occasionally brought back during the period of lockdown to deal with players and contracts. So if the club wanted him to talk to the fans by now they would have enabled it.

BBM turned up yesterday and was talking to the supporters in the queue as I returned to exchange my lads new top.

Did anyone speak to him about any potential transfer movement?

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Personal dilemma on 13:13 - Aug 16 with 995 viewsjoecooke

Personal dilemma on 13:02 - Aug 16 by ChaffRAFC

BBM turned up yesterday and was talking to the supporters in the queue as I returned to exchange my lads new top.

Did anyone speak to him about any potential transfer movement?

I mentioned tuanzebe, he laughed and walked off! bit rude i thought

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024