Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No FA cup replays next year 12:27 - Aug 13 with 4840 viewsNigeriamark

Interesting decision. Small clubs holding big teams to a draw will lose out on a money spinning replay ( Spurs & Newcastle for us recently). Probably the right decision but I imagine some premier teams may argue for it to be permanent due to the large number of fixtures they already have.

Prize money also been halved which is another blow for smaller clubs, hopefully only for 1 season
No FA cup replays next year on 12:32 - Aug 13 with 4045 viewsD_Alien

Wouldn't be money spinning with severely restricted attendances and probably no away fans, but i can see this continuing beyond the Covid restrictions

Interesting comments in the media about the single-leg European games being played too, along the lines of making it more like an international finals competition

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

No FA cup replays next year on 12:32 - Aug 13 with 4049 viewsSuddenLad

That's removed a vital lifeline for many smaller clubs as we well know. Good job we got our cup runs last season. Even a plum home draw now has different financial consequences if we manage a 90 minute draw.

Surely, it won't be made permanent? That would be a massive devaluation of the whole essence of the cup competition. It's what dreams are made of.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

No FA cup replays next year on 12:38 - Aug 13 with 4026 viewsNigeriamark

No FA cup replays next year on 12:32 - Aug 13 by SuddenLad

That's removed a vital lifeline for many smaller clubs as we well know. Good job we got our cup runs last season. Even a plum home draw now has different financial consequences if we manage a 90 minute draw.

Surely, it won't be made permanent? That would be a massive devaluation of the whole essence of the cup competition. It's what dreams are made of.

Even though this decision has been caused by COVID19, once you open the door to a change then there will be some calls to keep it the same. I agree totally that it devalues the cup for most clubs who are never going to win it, but the big boys may want to avoid those extra games. It will all come down to who holds the power with the FA, the Premier league or the EFL.
No FA cup replays next year on 12:58 - Aug 13 with 3959 viewsShun

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/eflseasondatesconfirmed/

Also the first 4 rounds of the League Cup will be played in September and early October on consecutive weeks, meaning if the United tie had happened this year fans wouldn’t have been able to attend!
No FA cup replays next year on 13:17 - Aug 13 with 3912 viewswatford_dale

No FA cup replays next year on 12:38 - Aug 13 by Nigeriamark

Even though this decision has been caused by COVID19, once you open the door to a change then there will be some calls to keep it the same. I agree totally that it devalues the cup for most clubs who are never going to win it, but the big boys may want to avoid those extra games. It will all come down to who holds the power with the FA, the Premier league or the EFL.

I also think they want to build in extra capacity into the season should there be Covid 19 outbreaks in teams resulting in cancellation of matches to be played at a later date and the main aim will be to get the season done.

I can see a few more changes being brought in/railroaded through on the back of Covid 19 all in the big boys favour, which may be for one season only or the opening of Pandora's box.
No FA cup replays next year on 13:18 - Aug 13 with 3908 views49thseason

The FA Cup is about Giant Killing,not about getting 2 of the top six Premiership clubs to a Wembley final. The TV companies are screwing the game and the FA and EFL are taking it with a big cheesy grin. If the PTB don't start worrying about the thousands of clubs below Premiership level, the national game could be gone by the end of this coming season. Even the lowest level amateur clubs are struggling for lack of subs and the ability to run fundraisers. How are they going to be able to afford pitches, referees, kit, etc. if they cant play games and run raffles or race nights?
It seems that everyone has completely lost their minds over this disease which really isn't as bad as they are trying to make it out to be.
No FA cup replays next year on 13:31 - Aug 13 with 3877 viewssurb_dale

No FA cup replays next year on 12:58 - Aug 13 by Shun

Also the first 4 rounds of the League Cup will be played in September and early October on consecutive weeks, meaning if the United tie had happened this year fans wouldn’t have been able to attend!

Without the prospect of a money spinning tie and with the 12 midweek league fixtures being crammed in its hard to see much point in bothering to win the first round of the Carabao! We appear to be going into the season with an even smaller squad than last year when the crammed schedule really requires a bigger squad to handle regular Sat/Tue games throughout the season. Can see BBM lacing up his boots at some point when the injuries start to kick in! Suspect we won't be the only ones trying to manage on a smaller squad tho.
No FA cup replays next year on 13:34 - Aug 13 with 3866 viewsDaleFan7

Understand fully why they've done it and I agree that they should do it this season. I just hope they don't use it as a back door to say; 'Oh, that worked well, I think we'll implement this permanently.'

We all know that's what the big boys want to happen.
Login to get fewer ads

No FA cup replays next year on 13:43 - Aug 13 with 3836 viewsD_Alien

No FA cup replays next year on 13:31 - Aug 13 by surb_dale

Without the prospect of a money spinning tie and with the 12 midweek league fixtures being crammed in its hard to see much point in bothering to win the first round of the Carabao! We appear to be going into the season with an even smaller squad than last year when the crammed schedule really requires a bigger squad to handle regular Sat/Tue games throughout the season. Can see BBM lacing up his boots at some point when the injuries start to kick in! Suspect we won't be the only ones trying to manage on a smaller squad tho.

Whilst the Carabao is being crammed into the season, the EFL Trophy is being crammed into the crammed-up start. Should've been abandoned; if i were BBM i'd be treating it as warm up for the proper football

[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 13:44]

No FA cup replays next year on 13:43 - Aug 13 with 3833 viewsTVOS1907

No FA cup replays next year on 13:43 - Aug 13 by D_Alien

Whilst the Carabao is being crammed into the season, the EFL Trophy is being crammed into the crammed-up start. Should've been abandoned; if i were BBM i'd be treating it as warm up for the proper football

[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 13:44]

Agree, but I can only think there's some funding coming down from the Premier League to keep it going.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

No FA cup replays next year on 13:44 - Aug 13 with 3829 viewsDalenet

So we are kicking off in 3 weeks time with the League Cup. Do hope we get a few friendlies in place ahead of that

And with so many mid week fixtures announced, at best we can look forward to 12 Saturday league games at home this season.

Strange times - but accept it is nothing the club can do anything about
No FA cup replays next year on 14:27 - Aug 13 with 3765 viewsAtThePeake

No FA cup replays next year on 12:32 - Aug 13 by D_Alien

Wouldn't be money spinning with severely restricted attendances and probably no away fans, but i can see this continuing beyond the Covid restrictions

Interesting comments in the media about the single-leg European games being played too, along the lines of making it more like an international finals competition

I think there's too much revenue to be made by the Champions League fixtures for it to go that way.

The fixture congestion argument when it comes from the bigger clubs always seems to be focused around domestic cup competitions rather than the two legs of each fixture played in the Champions League.

Tangled up in blue.

No FA cup replays next year on 14:28 - Aug 13 with 3764 viewsAtThePeake

No FA cup replays next year on 13:18 - Aug 13 by 49thseason

The FA Cup is about Giant Killing,not about getting 2 of the top six Premiership clubs to a Wembley final. The TV companies are screwing the game and the FA and EFL are taking it with a big cheesy grin. If the PTB don't start worrying about the thousands of clubs below Premiership level, the national game could be gone by the end of this coming season. Even the lowest level amateur clubs are struggling for lack of subs and the ability to run fundraisers. How are they going to be able to afford pitches, referees, kit, etc. if they cant play games and run raffles or race nights?
It seems that everyone has completely lost their minds over this disease which really isn't as bad as they are trying to make it out to be.

I'm in absolutely no way in favour of getting rid of replays, but to be fair, doesn't no replays actually increase the likelihood of giant killings? I think we were far more likely to beat Newcastle had that game gone to extra-time and penalties at Spotland than we were when we had to go up to St James' Park.

Tangled up in blue.

No FA cup replays next year on 14:55 - Aug 13 with 3709 views49thseason

No FA cup replays next year on 14:28 - Aug 13 by AtThePeake

I'm in absolutely no way in favour of getting rid of replays, but to be fair, doesn't no replays actually increase the likelihood of giant killings? I think we were far more likely to beat Newcastle had that game gone to extra-time and penalties at Spotland than we were when we had to go up to St James' Park.

You may be right, but there will be lots of money lost to smaller clubs too. Fans would prefer the win in one game, Directors would probably prefer the replay for financial reasons. This unnecessary tinkering undermines the whole competition. first they introduced penalties to save endless replays, now they want to get rid of replays. The dice are being increasingly loaded in favour of Big clubs and TV. Many L1 and 2 clubs will be semi-pro next. and the EFL and FA are encouraging it.
No FA cup replays next year on 14:58 - Aug 13 with 3702 viewsmightydale

No FA cup replays next year on 14:55 - Aug 13 by 49thseason

You may be right, but there will be lots of money lost to smaller clubs too. Fans would prefer the win in one game, Directors would probably prefer the replay for financial reasons. This unnecessary tinkering undermines the whole competition. first they introduced penalties to save endless replays, now they want to get rid of replays. The dice are being increasingly loaded in favour of Big clubs and TV. Many L1 and 2 clubs will be semi-pro next. and the EFL and FA are encouraging it.

Am more concerned about getting a squad together which includes a goalscorer, than worrying about FA Cup replays

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

No FA cup replays next year on 14:59 - Aug 13 with 3700 viewsJames1980

Are clubs able to request the game by played away so for example if we draw a Premier league team at home in the 3rd round onwards could we ask for it to be played at the away ground for financial reasons? Also I would have thought most are big enough that the could let away supporters in with distancing.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

No FA cup replays next year on 15:06 - Aug 13 with 3690 viewsTVOS1907

No FA cup replays next year on 14:59 - Aug 13 by James1980

Are clubs able to request the game by played away so for example if we draw a Premier league team at home in the 3rd round onwards could we ask for it to be played at the away ground for financial reasons? Also I would have thought most are big enough that the could let away supporters in with distancing.

No

No FA cup replays next year on 15:08 - Aug 13 with 3685 viewsTVOS1907

No FA cup replays next year on 12:58 - Aug 13 by Shun

So depending on the fixtures, we could only have one BCD home league game (or two at most), with league games taking place on the Saturdays in September, if the return of crowds in October goes ahead.

No FA cup replays next year on 15:32 - Aug 13 with 3641 viewsjonahwhereru

No FA cup replays next year on 13:34 - Aug 13 by DaleFan7

Understand fully why they've done it and I agree that they should do it this season. I just hope they don't use it as a back door to say; 'Oh, that worked well, I think we'll implement this permanently.'

We all know that's what the big boys want to happen.

The prem have been after cutting replays for years, so it’s odds on we have seen the last of FA cup replays.
Just as well we rinsed it last season.
No FA cup replays next year on 16:09 - Aug 16 with 3359 viewsmikehunt

The pandering to the top six has to stop. Replays should be up to to the teams involved. I get that the sides involved in Europe might not want an extra match but for the majority of teams it is all they have to play for. And so easy to sort out democratically. So if one team decides they do not want a replay then so be it: if consensual however, have as many replays as it takes. That might bring back some of the epic tussles of the past - and more matches for the television companies to screen. What's wrong with that idea?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

No FA cup replays next year on 16:58 - Aug 16 with 3295 viewsTVOS1907

No FA cup replays next year on 16:09 - Aug 16 by mikehunt

The pandering to the top six has to stop. Replays should be up to to the teams involved. I get that the sides involved in Europe might not want an extra match but for the majority of teams it is all they have to play for. And so easy to sort out democratically. So if one team decides they do not want a replay then so be it: if consensual however, have as many replays as it takes. That might bring back some of the epic tussles of the past - and more matches for the television companies to screen. What's wrong with that idea?

For the forthcoming season, there simply won't be enough free midweeks.

I think we will already have 11 midweek games and that's before postponements come into play.

If we had unlimited replays in 2017/18, Dale in particular would have had a real problem as we had a lot of league fixtures to rearrange as well as our FA Cup replays v Millwall & Spurs.

I completely agree that it would be great to have unlimited replays, but - and I've always maintained this - the problems have been caused by UEFA & FIFA extending their own competitions, which has had a knock-on effect to everyone below.

The competitions we play in (and by 'we', I mean the 92 Premier & EFL clubs) have had the same structure for donkey's years.

Personally, I think they should have ditched the EFL Trophy this season. For a start, it would have created three free midweeks in the September-November period, which could have been used for league games, but like I said to DAlien, there is probably a financial incentive filtering down to keep it going.

Unfortunately I don't think you can have a competition where the same rules don't apply across all games.

I know some preliminary round ties don't even go to replays, but that's because amateur players may not be able to travel on a Tuesday night due to work commitments.

No FA cup replays next year on 17:11 - Aug 16 with 3273 viewsD_Alien

No FA cup replays next year on 16:58 - Aug 16 by TVOS1907

For the forthcoming season, there simply won't be enough free midweeks.

I think we will already have 11 midweek games and that's before postponements come into play.

If we had unlimited replays in 2017/18, Dale in particular would have had a real problem as we had a lot of league fixtures to rearrange as well as our FA Cup replays v Millwall & Spurs.

I completely agree that it would be great to have unlimited replays, but - and I've always maintained this - the problems have been caused by UEFA & FIFA extending their own competitions, which has had a knock-on effect to everyone below.

The competitions we play in (and by 'we', I mean the 92 Premier & EFL clubs) have had the same structure for donkey's years.

Personally, I think they should have ditched the EFL Trophy this season. For a start, it would have created three free midweeks in the September-November period, which could have been used for league games, but like I said to DAlien, there is probably a financial incentive filtering down to keep it going.

Unfortunately I don't think you can have a competition where the same rules don't apply across all games.

I know some preliminary round ties don't even go to replays, but that's because amateur players may not be able to travel on a Tuesday night due to work commitments.

I just hope the EFL Trophy doesn't require the same "minimum number of first team players" this season

For a start, i can't see how that rule can be applied for the initial games since there won't be enough league/other cup games played; but more importantly, with other rules being adjusted due to covid-19 issues such as more substitutes, water breaks, etc., insisting that that particular rule is applied is just nonsensical. The only value i'd attribute to these games (apart from some kind of financial incentive) is to allow teams to use them as a means of giving their squads a work-out early in the season, possibly in lieu of the usual cluster of friendlies
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 17:12]

No FA cup replays next year on 20:18 - Aug 16 with 3108 views49thseason

A night time EFL Trophy game probably cost more to put on than revenue received through the gate. With the restrictions applying to crowds, it would be financial suicide to attempt to win a game and have to compound losses on top of losses. It's a competition too far in the current climate.
No FA cup replays next year on 20:21 - Aug 16 with 3104 viewsTVOS1907

No FA cup replays next year on 20:18 - Aug 16 by 49thseason

A night time EFL Trophy game probably cost more to put on than revenue received through the gate. With the restrictions applying to crowds, it would be financial suicide to attempt to win a game and have to compound losses on top of losses. It's a competition too far in the current climate.

We'll have two home games regardless due to the group system.

No FA cup replays next year on 21:35 - Aug 16 with 3013 viewsboromat

5th Carabao Cup R1
8th EFL Trophy Match 1
12th EFL League One first fixture
15th Carabao Cup R2

If I read it correctly it's going to be a crazy season fixture wise and this could be our first 4 games in Sept.

Considering the lack of fans at cup games how lucrative will they be. Is the award money alone worth us going for them especially with what I imagine will be a much smaller squad packed out with youth. For this single season do we concentrate on the league from the start?

Poll: What are we more excited for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024