Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter 11:58 - Dec 26 with 1572 viewsdurham_exile

For the first time this season SB and his charges are under real pressure. As Gerry put it “pier” pressure as they make the short journey to Roots Hall to play the Shrimpers at 1pm.

Pressure because they face the prospect of three successive defeats and to lose even more ground in the promotion race.

Losing to Cambridge was bad enough albeit a game that we deserved to secure a draw, but we were woeful against Morecambe and if it possible to be thrashed 2-1 then we were most certainly thrashed.

Those games have gone and has the 6-1 thrashing of the Shrimpers earlier in the season. Boxing Day is all about three crucial league points, bragging rights and attempting to drop Southend closer to the trapdoor of relegation.

Incredibly the last time I went to Roots Hall was Boxing Day 1989 and we won 2-0 that day. Yes, I have been to many derby matches at home but 1989 was the last Away game. My abiding memory that day was many of the Southend faithful hurling their seat cushions onto the pitch at full time.

Anyway, today is all about an Away victory.

1. Newport 19 37
2. FGR 19 36
3. Carlisle 19 35
4. Cheltenham 19 33
5. Morecambe 19 31
6. Exeter 18 30
7. Salford 18 30
8. Walsall 19 30
9. Cambridge 18 28
10. COL U 19 28

24. Southend 18 13

SB must be decisive and brave in his team selection and tactics. Frankly, he has been inept and unconvincing in both for many games this season. Carlisle and Morecambe have been the best two teams that I have seen against the U’s this season. It is vital therefore that the defeats are stopped before more points are haemorrhaged, and we slide further down the League Two table.

This is our fifth season in League Two and if we are to get out of the basement league then three points against our nearest geographical rivals is essential.

But what team does he play. Well, it must be two strikers and two or even three bespoke midfielders. After all Tom Lapslie is available after his long injury lay off. Defence must revert to Welch-Hayes at full back.

So, I would go with 4,3,3

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Chilvers Stevenson Lapslie

Harriott Brown Folivi

Subs:
Tchamadeu
Sowunmi
Norris
Clampin
Gambin
George
Senior

But SB will play instead:

Gerken
Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall
Stevenson Chilvers
Harriott Folivi Senior
Brown

Subtle changes but important in the scheme of things.

Mark Molesley has John White and Greg Halford available for selection in a team that has started to play a bit. Two draws and two wins in the last four games.

The pitch will be heavy, but the weather will be cloudy and a mild 10 degrees Celsius.

Enjoy the game.

3-0 to the U’s today.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 26 Dec 2020 12:02]

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:47 - Dec 26 with 670 viewsgerry_us

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:41 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

Bohui on for Folivi

Senior still on

Halford on for Southend

A Halford thunderbolt coming?
Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:55 - Dec 26 with 657 viewsgerry_us

Looks like I may have got the U's goal scorer correct in the prediction league!
Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 15:00 - Dec 26 with 655 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 14:55 - Dec 26 by gerry_us

Looks like I may have got the U's goal scorer correct in the prediction league!

Well it took until the 95th minute to show any fight and that was hand bags

Shocking defeat

Shocking performance

Shocking manager

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 15:14 - Dec 26 with 625 viewsMoor_Pinot

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 15:00 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

Well it took until the 95th minute to show any fight and that was hand bags

Shocking defeat

Shocking performance

Shocking manager

Yep, and nothing will change.
I support our Chairman and am glad we have him but his policy is only concerned with our survival as a football team which is great to have. I don't want to be a Bury supporter.
However, management takes time to learn and requires intellect as well as experience in order to achieve, thrive or be competitive and competent. For six seasons we've had little of any of that whilst in the stable we've had some of the better players I have seen play for the U's over my sixty years of support. The outcome of that should be far more positive and a better return for Mr Cowling's money than he's had. In a difficult year in awful times the U's are simply no better than anyone else and continue to progress their stagnation. Today and not for the first, second or third time this season we were dreadful.

I think it unlikely that we will mount any kind of challenge for league one and Ball will be able to agree with any other interviewer who infers that perhaps this year was a year of consolidation. That way he'll keep his job and all will be repeated come August.

Southend are a broken club, by repute. Today they showed spirit and a personality beyond anything the I'll-motivated U's could produce.

Pick eleven different players for 29th. Today's lot couldn't give a.....

Moor Pinot

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 15:25 - Dec 26 with 611 viewsLeadbelly

It hurts more because we were playing Southend but everything about today’s performance was what we’ve been producing for far too long.

I listened to BBC Essex commentary and while some are saying it was biased in favour of Southend I’d argue the negative comments made on air followed the same pattern of the comments made on here. I feel sorry for David Gregory as every week he has to try to polish the same turd, without any help from players and management.

Same basic problems, repeated game after game, with no sign that anyone is learning from their mistakes. Same reliance on a few players to produce something special when all the evidence suggests that’s a very rare occurrence, with those same players clearly believing the hype and not putting in a shift.

Too many passengers on the Us bus at the moment and the driver seems to be completely lost.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 15:34 - Dec 26 with 604 viewsbwildered

MOTM - Greg Halford.
Managed to do what the whole U’s side achieved in 90 minutes. Come on, did not score, achieved little, totally, anonymous.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 15:58 - Dec 26 with 574 viewsgerry_us

Durham....Durham.
Are you still there?
There will be better days and maybe fish and chips before mate. Stay strong.
Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 17:21 - Dec 26 with 543 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 15:58 - Dec 26 by gerry_us

Durham....Durham.
Are you still there?
There will be better days and maybe fish and chips before mate. Stay strong.

Hi Gerry

Looking forward to fish n chips.

The thing that got to me today was the total lack of fight, commitment and effort from the team.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 18:07 - Dec 26 with 528 viewsburnsieespana

Must be a longtime since we lost three on the bounce.
Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 19:04 - Dec 26 with 503 viewsdurham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 18:07 - Dec 26 by burnsieespana

Must be a longtime since we lost three on the bounce.

Cheltenham is already looking like a fourth consecutive defeat.

I reckon the team should pay for the faithful's iFollow £10 subscription for today's embarrassment.

It was truly shocking and one of the worst performances that I have ever seen.

The nature of the defeat, the opposition, the pathetic nature of the performance, the lack of application and the inability to once again find the net was lamentable.

Ball should do the right thing and resign before he is sacked.

The only manager worse than him was Mick bigger bast88d than bast88d and that is saying something.

The only way is up after this.

Durham_exile

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 19:27 - Dec 26 with 493 viewsLeadbelly

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 19:04 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

Cheltenham is already looking like a fourth consecutive defeat.

I reckon the team should pay for the faithful's iFollow £10 subscription for today's embarrassment.

It was truly shocking and one of the worst performances that I have ever seen.

The nature of the defeat, the opposition, the pathetic nature of the performance, the lack of application and the inability to once again find the net was lamentable.

Ball should do the right thing and resign before he is sacked.

The only manager worse than him was Mick bigger bast88d than bast88d and that is saying something.

The only way is up after this.

He won’t resign, he won’t be sacked and, unfortunately, up is neither the only way nor the most likely way after this.

Following his appointment I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. Despite the season I’m now feeling neither festive or charitable...Ball needs to go (although I don’t believe it will happen)

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Southend to be overrun by the Super U's in Boxing Day encounter on 19:02 - Dec 27 with 355 viewsbwildered

Yes, the honeymoon period is over. The McBall era seems a reincarnation of the previous and already showing signs of no progress.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024