Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plymouth (h) Match Thread 14:03 - Nov 30 with 22972 viewsHullDale

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 15:33 - Dec 6 with 2801 views49thseason

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 14:51 - Dec 6 by Thacks_Rabbits

Overall thought we played well, they looked far more dangerous when in attack but we had more attacks, O Keefe I thought was MOM by miles, main attacking threat with great crosses but nobody getting in the right areas, I thought Dossett looked ok but as a big unit he looked very cumbersome and clumsy and weakest link in the defence, guess we see things differently at times and he may be getting better than he was (exiled so don’t see many games).

Beesley reminds me of Donnelly but amazingly less likely to score, runs about a lot with no real end product but tries hard, he looks every bit what we signed, a non league striker. Donnelly gets hammered for being dogshit and tbh beesley is no better (doubt his scoring record is any better) no doubt TVOS will know.

Good game to watch, with a half decent striker we would have won, pitch looked great and we more than held our own against a team that was recently top of div 1 so credit to all for that. How they got away with those corners though god knows, every one was half a foot outside the markings!

Safe to say the "Assistant Referee" on the Willbutts side clearly wasn't up to the job. There is no point in marking the Referee if the AR's are incompetent. To be honest the bloke looked as if he had eaten his Christmas lunch every day since last Christmas. Rarely up with play and as proven by the TV cameras delinquent in the enforcement of the rules of the game. The club should send a strongly worded letter to the EFL.
He clearly isn't the brightest spark if he allowed corners to be taken with the ball outside the quadrant in the full glare of National TV.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 15:47 - Dec 6 with 2756 views442Dale

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 14:51 - Dec 6 by Thacks_Rabbits

Overall thought we played well, they looked far more dangerous when in attack but we had more attacks, O Keefe I thought was MOM by miles, main attacking threat with great crosses but nobody getting in the right areas, I thought Dossett looked ok but as a big unit he looked very cumbersome and clumsy and weakest link in the defence, guess we see things differently at times and he may be getting better than he was (exiled so don’t see many games).

Beesley reminds me of Donnelly but amazingly less likely to score, runs about a lot with no real end product but tries hard, he looks every bit what we signed, a non league striker. Donnelly gets hammered for being dogshit and tbh beesley is no better (doubt his scoring record is any better) no doubt TVOS will know.

Good game to watch, with a half decent striker we would have won, pitch looked great and we more than held our own against a team that was recently top of div 1 so credit to all for that. How they got away with those corners though god knows, every one was half a foot outside the markings!

Beesley has 8 in 23 games, as posted earlier. Any comparison to Donnelly is laughable.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 15:59 - Dec 6 with 2680 viewskel

Comparisons between Donnelly and Beesley. Have I wandered onto one of those Facebook groups?
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 17:28 - Dec 6 with 2492 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 15:59 - Dec 6 by kel

Comparisons between Donnelly and Beesley. Have I wandered onto one of those Facebook groups?

Having looked at the stats gorgeous George scored 13 in 43 (35 as sub) so if you said on average he got 30 minutes per game as sub that’s 13 in 55, basically 1 in 4, and I don’t recall him taking penalties and was in a team where he was not the main striker.

Jake got 10 in 43 last season and has 8 in 23 this, so 18 in 66 games (all starts) which is a goal every 3.7 games near as dammit, and he takes penalties in a team creating I would argue more chances, generally as the main striker.

Some of the stats may not be 100% but on stats alone they are very much on a par, of course I would have Jake over Donnelly but whilst George is mocked for missing sitters Jake also has missed some tap ins that Donnelly would have been hammered for.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 17:35 - Dec 6 with 2459 viewskel

Ah right, we need to be giving the lad some grief then?

Righto.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 17:55 - Dec 6 with 2430 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 17:35 - Dec 6 by kel

Ah right, we need to be giving the lad some grief then?

Righto.

Of course I am not saying that, personally I never gave Donnelly grief and I have only ever blatantly given grief to 2 of our players, which considering the deserving candidates I think is pretty good (Simpkins and Dickens were just too much)

At times earlier in the season when he was in a purple patch he reminded me of piggott and looked to really have improved, from what I saw, but some of the efforts yesterday were poor. A few sessions with Tony Ellis would certainly not go amiss I would say.

Maybe we have been spoilt with the pedigree of strikers we have had the last 15 years but he just not look to have a natural instinct of a striker, hopefully he can find one.

Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 18:11 - Dec 6 with 2389 views442Dale

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 17:28 - Dec 6 by Thacks_Rabbits

Having looked at the stats gorgeous George scored 13 in 43 (35 as sub) so if you said on average he got 30 minutes per game as sub that’s 13 in 55, basically 1 in 4, and I don’t recall him taking penalties and was in a team where he was not the main striker.

Jake got 10 in 43 last season and has 8 in 23 this, so 18 in 66 games (all starts) which is a goal every 3.7 games near as dammit, and he takes penalties in a team creating I would argue more chances, generally as the main striker.

Some of the stats may not be 100% but on stats alone they are very much on a par, of course I would have Jake over Donnelly but whilst George is mocked for missing sitters Jake also has missed some tap ins that Donnelly would have been hammered for.

So if the stats may not be 100% why say they are on a par on stats alone? Beesley has scored one penalty this season. And I can’t be bothered checking but Donnelly scored at least one from memory - Hartlepool on the opening day when we won 3-0.

Henderson also missed some sitters, all strikers do. Does Beesley need to improve in front of goal? Definitely. But he’s on course for around 15 goals this season as it is, which many would say is satisfactory enough. As players, and I’m comparing here, there is clearly a vast difference in ability and footballing awareness between Beesley and George bloody Donnelly.

Let’s be honest, if Tranmere bought Beesley for about 15-20k in January we’d all be going mad, whereas when they gave us money for Donnelly, Rochdale Council were seriously considering an annual bank holiday every year on the date of the deal.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 18:52 - Dec 6 with 2284 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 18:11 - Dec 6 by 442Dale

So if the stats may not be 100% why say they are on a par on stats alone? Beesley has scored one penalty this season. And I can’t be bothered checking but Donnelly scored at least one from memory - Hartlepool on the opening day when we won 3-0.

Henderson also missed some sitters, all strikers do. Does Beesley need to improve in front of goal? Definitely. But he’s on course for around 15 goals this season as it is, which many would say is satisfactory enough. As players, and I’m comparing here, there is clearly a vast difference in ability and footballing awareness between Beesley and George bloody Donnelly.

Let’s be honest, if Tranmere bought Beesley for about 15-20k in January we’d all be going mad, whereas when they gave us money for Donnelly, Rochdale Council were seriously considering an annual bank holiday every year on the date of the deal.

The stats may be slightly out and I have no idea how many minutes he played as a sub, but whilst they may not be 100% accurate they will be close.

It’s often forgotten that George did get some vital goals and was part of a promotion winning side if I remember rightly, he tried hard and was a general pain in the arse to defences, whilst not being prolific, he was the type of player that never gave the defence a rest. When we sold him it was great business as he was not needed and was not good enough, and proved it by doing nothing at Tranmere.

As I mentioned I would have beesley over him any day, but he is not prolific by any means and whilst all strikers miss chances, it’s more of a shock when some do than when Jake does. He honestly did not look like scoring yesterday, despite some of the fantastic crosses coming in. The chance where he took too long and the one he miss hit across the face of goal were just an example as was the “header”.

As you mentioned prices for players what would you expect a team to pay for him now? If we get offered ÂŁ100k I would sell him, but doubt that offer will be coming any time soon. ÂŁ50k off someone like Stockport or Bromley maybe. Would fans be in uproar, I doubt it if it was used for another striker.

I hope he improves and gets that instant, but it’s a hard thing to learn, most strikers either can or can’t by his age. Fingers crossed he bucks the trend.

Login to get fewer ads

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 19:38 - Dec 6 with 2196 viewsTVOS1907

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 18:11 - Dec 6 by 442Dale

Donnelly scored one penalty (v Hartlepool) and missed one penalty (v Chesterfield a fortnight later).

Beesley has scored one penalty (v Shrewsbury) and missed one penalty (v Exeter).

Beesley's stats include a full season in League One. Donnelly's stats include 113 minutes in League One.

There's really no point trying to compare them any further.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 20:33 - Dec 6 with 2110 viewsEllDale

It’s funny how little things come to mind the following day.
When we played Plymouth at home in the league in the second half of last season it finished 0-0 but their keeper produced a world class save to stop an Aaron Morley rocket going into the top corner late in the game.
Two extra points there and might well have meant that Dale stayed up last season.
Same end of the ground yesterday, another thunderbolt, this time a memorable goal.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 22:49 - Dec 6 with 1917 viewsdingdangblue

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 15:47 - Dec 6 by 442Dale

Beesley has 8 in 23 games, as posted earlier. Any comparison to Donnelly is laughable.

Beesley does remind me of an ex Dale striker but it's not George Donnelly. It's Glenn Murray - who certainly wasn't anywhere near the finished product when we sold him to Brighton but you could see potentially a very good player. I see the same with Beesley - great workrate, good in the air and skillful. He just needs to improve that finishing and he could go a lot higher.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 22:54 - Dec 6 with 1912 viewsTVOS1907

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 22:49 - Dec 6 by dingdangblue

Beesley does remind me of an ex Dale striker but it's not George Donnelly. It's Glenn Murray - who certainly wasn't anywhere near the finished product when we sold him to Brighton but you could see potentially a very good player. I see the same with Beesley - great workrate, good in the air and skillful. He just needs to improve that finishing and he could go a lot higher.

It's a reasonable comparison, although Murray had 25 goals in 54 league appearances when we sold him, whereas Beesley has 15 in 52 league appearances.

I just think Murray's finishing ability was already there; take his goal against Norwich, for example.

Murray didn't have any penalties either, although like Beesley, he did miss one.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 09:27 - Dec 7 with 1678 viewsAtThePeake

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 11:34 - Dec 6 by BucketBstard

And Max Taylor , who missed both headers for both goals. Not good enough I'm afraid, hope he has learnt from this.
Felt sorry for the team as whole thought we were the better team, we showed some good quality touches and as everyone said its the defending and not taking chances that are letting us down.
Wouldnt mind someone like Wheater coming in central defence and move O.Connell into midfield , he has quite a decent pass on him. Definitely need a goalscorer. Beesley ties hard but is too weak and Andrews never got a look in really .
Still more positives than negatives and if we can recruit in Jan in areas we need then we should be pushing for play-offs from what I have seen.

I can't believe people are still mentioning David Wheater ffs. His last competitive match was 19 months ago and the Oldham fans thought he was crap then, never mind now. Let it go.

As an aside, on the Cashman point, does anyone else think that his height might be the issue? I get the impression that Stockdale doesn't really want Odoh, Kelly and Cashman on the pitch all at the same time as it would make us even more susceptible from set-pieces and on current form, Odoh and Kelly deserve to be starting rather than him.

Tangled up in blue.

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 12:47 - Dec 7 with 1524 viewsfunkkk

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 22:49 - Dec 6 by dingdangblue

Sorry but that’s a crazy comparison. I’d be surprised if Beesley plays above league 2 ever again (unless it’s with us).
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 13:18 - Dec 7 with 1478 viewsD_Alien

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 09:27 - Dec 7 by AtThePeake

I can't believe people are still mentioning David Wheater ffs. His last competitive match was 19 months ago and the Oldham fans thought he was crap then, never mind now. Let it go.

As an aside, on the Cashman point, does anyone else think that his height might be the issue? I get the impression that Stockdale doesn't really want Odoh, Kelly and Cashman on the pitch all at the same time as it would make us even more susceptible from set-pieces and on current form, Odoh and Kelly deserve to be starting rather than him.

That'll certainly be a factor (his height). I hope it is because we do need the height that lads like Andrews provide when defending set pieces, plus Cashman's ability to track back defensively isn't a strong point either

My concern is that when the game isn't going our way (i.e. falling behind to Plymouth), Cashman wasn't given more than 1 minute plus added time to try to make a difference when an earlier introduction would at least give him a chance if played up front, which he's shown he can do. As it is, the likelihood is he'll leave without having been given a fair crack at it

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024