Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders 14:22 - Mar 21 with 1534 viewsdurham_exile

Tonight’s match is much bigger than just three points in the struggle for survival.

It is a game for Ukraine and it is televised on Sky TV. Originally of course the lure was for FGR to clinch the league Two title (in March!) but they failed to read the script.

They have failed to win for seven games, but should still go up to League One, but tonight can the U’s perform in front of the cameras and secure three more precious points in our relegation battle.

Rochdale 36 40
COLU 37 39
Barrow 37 37
Stevenage 37 34
Oldham 36 31
Scunny 38 24

It would seem that Scunny are down but who will join them. My money is on Stevenage but Rochdale have a likely points deduction in the offing, which could change things.

Tonight, though we have an opportunity to challenge Rob Edwards side who have not won since February 8. We have taken 17 points from the last 10 games and 11 more points from our last nine games will do it.

We are thirty points off top spot and that is the real embarrassment.

Anyway, team tonight:

George

Coxe Chambers Eastman Kenlock

Wiredu Skuse Chilvers

Sears Akinde Edwards

Subs Hornby, Tchamadeu, MWH, Marshall Miranda, Andrews, Wright, Hannant

Ben Stevenson will be lining up for the opposition not much more to say.

Three points to the U’s in a 2-1 game.

Weather 8 degrees Celsius, clear and dry.

Enjoy the game

Good crowd predicted 5,000.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 15:18 - Mar 21 with 1510 viewsnoah4x4

Already in the pub limbering up the vocal cords. Good Review Durham, but we won’t start with both Sears and Akinde.

FGR must be low on confidence and we don’t have Calamity Smith to gift them anything, so I fancy three points. Not sure about a 5,000 crowd. I suspect much lower, albeit 5,000 tickets might be sold with many donations from non-travelling exiles (etc).

Disappointing total so far on Just Giving. I forwarded it to 300 persons and unless anonymous, I have only seen three names I know amongst donors and the most generous are U’sual boarders.
Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 17:36 - Mar 21 with 1454 viewswessex_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 15:18 - Mar 21 by noah4x4

Already in the pub limbering up the vocal cords. Good Review Durham, but we won’t start with both Sears and Akinde.

FGR must be low on confidence and we don’t have Calamity Smith to gift them anything, so I fancy three points. Not sure about a 5,000 crowd. I suspect much lower, albeit 5,000 tickets might be sold with many donations from non-travelling exiles (etc).

Disappointing total so far on Just Giving. I forwarded it to 300 persons and unless anonymous, I have only seen three names I know amongst donors and the most generous are U’sual boarders.

The club has just tweeted that the South Stand has all but sold out - remains to be seen how many are actual people rather donations, but given the aim is fund-raising, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 19:05 - Mar 21 with 1432 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 17:36 - Mar 21 by wessex_exile

The club has just tweeted that the South Stand has all but sold out - remains to be seen how many are actual people rather donations, but given the aim is fund-raising, I guess it doesn't really matter.

When I bought my ticket in W2 about 60% of the stadium was sold out.

Hopefully 5,000 spectators rather than 6,000 virtual fans

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 19:23 - Mar 21 with 1421 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 19:05 - Mar 21 by durham_exile

When I bought my ticket in W2 about 60% of the stadium was sold out.

Hopefully 5,000 spectators rather than 6,000 virtual fans

Up the U's

Yes Akinde and Sears both start

The only change Wright instead of Edwards

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 19:38 - Mar 21 with 1409 viewswessex_exile

Just seen Noah on the telebox!

Up the U's

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 20:19 - Mar 21 with 1379 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 19:38 - Mar 21 by wessex_exile

Eddie is back tonight too

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 20:34 - Mar 21 with 1360 viewsgerry_us

Mrs Gerry reckons if he can referee at 55 then I could get back in the middle!
Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 20:43 - Mar 21 with 1341 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 20:34 - Mar 21 by gerry_us

Mrs Gerry reckons if he can referee at 55 then I could get back in the middle!

Welcome back Gerry.

Colchester are right in this.
Just need to convert one of these chances.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 20:55 - Mar 21 with 1331 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 20:43 - Mar 21 by durham_exile

Welcome back Gerry.

Colchester are right in this.
Just need to convert one of these chances.

Up the U's

Seen a different side to Jamille Matt tonight. Dirty player

Durham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 20:57 - Mar 21 with 1329 viewsLeadbelly

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 20:55 - Mar 21 by durham_exile

Seen a different side to Jamille Matt tonight. Dirty player

Doing what Akinde should be.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 21:00 - Mar 21 with 1326 viewsLeadbelly

Official attendance tonight 6,140.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 21:34 - Mar 21 with 1306 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 21:00 - Mar 21 by Leadbelly

Official attendance tonight 6,140.

We deserve something from this game tonight

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 21:40 - Mar 21 with 1292 viewsgerry_us

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 21:34 - Mar 21 by durham_exile

Up the U's

Deserved...
Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 21:45 - Mar 21 with 1283 viewswessex_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 21:34 - Mar 21 by durham_exile

Up the U's

We did deserve something from the game, but on the pitch FGR were just too good unfortunately. Off the pitch, where it matters, it's £61,400 raised for the Ukrainian humanitarian effort, plus the collections at the ground, plus the JustGiving donations, plus the shirt auctions to come.

Despite the defeat, I am so proud of Colchester United right now - UP THE U'S!!!

Up the U's

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 22:14 - Mar 21 with 1242 viewsnoah4x4

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 19:38 - Mar 21 by wessex_exile

Only fan in South Stand wearing an official Ukrainian footie shirt, so it was possibly predictable I would be picked out………of course,…….after the cameraman had done the mandatory blonde with the big tits.
Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 22:20 - Mar 21 with 1234 viewswessex_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 22:14 - Mar 21 by noah4x4

Only fan in South Stand wearing an official Ukrainian footie shirt, so it was possibly predictable I would be picked out………of course,…….after the cameraman had done the mandatory blonde with the big tits.

To be fair, yours were bigger

Up the U's

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 07:02 - Mar 22 with 1167 viewsnoah4x4

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 22:20 - Mar 21 by wessex_exile

To be fair, yours were bigger

I walked right into that.

Not the result we hoped for, but can't deny FGR (like Bristol Rovers) were the superior team and deserved the three points. We might have snatched a draw, but it wasn't to be.

I think we will stay up, but this U's team will struggle again next season. Plenty of skill, but woefully off the pace, too many past their best, notably Akinde. This wasn't two up front. He was just as isolated, but without the pace of Sears. We looked much better when Akinde and the totally ineffective Wright (lazy?) were withdrawn. I thought substitute Junior Tchameadeu looked at home on the wing. Maybe he offers more than Hannant or Wright and it is worth him starting in that position? We badly missed Edwards (injured) and being realistic, perhaps we didn't really expect anything better than a narrow defeat protecting our advantageous goal difference. Three months ago this (and Bristol Rovers) would have been 0-3 or worse.

Suspect another struggle against Tranmere, but then we have some winnable fixtures. Interestingly, there are a lot of six-pointers involving teams below us, and they can't both take three points. But we need to beat Stevenage. I fear that despite our eight point advantage (nine with GD), we could be back in the relegation mix by April 1st. Humes out!
Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 09:09 - Mar 22 with 1124 viewsburnsieespana

Be interesting to see if the suntan kid can supercharge Barrow and as Noah days we must best Stevenage and in my view get another 4 points from our re MN ain in ng games
Think in our sane moments we all suspected Bristol Rovers, FGR would be defeats and Tranmere is a tough prospect.
Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 17:44 - Mar 22 with 1071 viewsbwildered

Sadly, the U’s have now shown their full hand to all and sundry of the division with the National coverage, which showed our lack of punch in the final third. The mysteries of having something extra in our locker, for the final ten minutes brutally exposed.
The difference between top and bottom of the table was very stark, let’s put it another way , could you see us scoring their winner with five across the middle and a solitary striker !
With the majority under contract for another season, the extra pace would not be forthcoming, one wonders how many youngsters can cement a first team spot amongst the seniors which if not fourth coming could lead us the even more serious position come the end of next season.
A tricky scenario whoever is in charge in twelve months time.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 20:49 - Mar 22 with 1031 viewsgerry_us

As you will all be very aware, I am a great fan of Tom Eastman, who has been a great servant to the club for many years.
However....I was very surprised and distressed to see his part in the only goal of the match.
The cross into the penalty area passed so close to him but he showed no sign of trying to jump to intercept. I can only think that he got a call from behind him as that can be the only reason that he didn't put everything on the line to prevent the goal as is his way.
It just doesn't get any better however many times I watch it!
Despite all that I remain a fan of Tom.
Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 08:31 - Mar 23 with 997 viewsbwildered

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 20:49 - Mar 22 by gerry_us

As you will all be very aware, I am a great fan of Tom Eastman, who has been a great servant to the club for many years.
However....I was very surprised and distressed to see his part in the only goal of the match.
The cross into the penalty area passed so close to him but he showed no sign of trying to jump to intercept. I can only think that he got a call from behind him as that can be the only reason that he didn't put everything on the line to prevent the goal as is his way.

Think both players leaved it to the other, has having a new allocated seat in only Row D for this fixture, never heard either call. Sadly a pretty defendable goal which was conceded, but you had to admire the striker getting on the end of it, a great finish especially where the ball ended, sadly his post match goal celebration was not so well taken .
[Post edited 24 Mar 2022 8:50]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 20:45 - Mar 23 with 969 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester to test their green credentials against the League Leaders on 20:49 - Mar 22 by gerry_us

Tom Eastman has every reason to feel aggrieved at the way he has been treated this season, but had Dallison been fit he would have partnered Chambers at the back.

It did look as though the goal was defendable but then look at many goals that we have conceded this season and many have been soft defensive mistakes.

Incidentally Chilvers second goal against Scunny was very similar to the FGR goal on Monday night.

A draw would have been a fair result.

Impressed with the crowd though 6,140. If only we could generate that support every home game. Oh I know how about challenge for promotion instead of struggling very season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024