Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's 13:16 - Aug 16 with 2337 viewsdurham_exile

After the lack lustre defensive performance at Edgeley Park, the shot shy U’s are home for the first in a triple header against Bradford, Orient and Brentford. I have already bought my ticket, car parking and booked accommodation for the Brentford game.

Nothing more to say about Saturday, no shots on target is all we need to consider.

We move on and must look for a vastly improved performance against Mark Hughes Bantams. Much has been made about the Easter game at the JCS when we impressively won 3-0 against the Bantams. Ignore that, however. Bradford were already safe and “on the beach”.

Tonight, will be a much tougher prospect. Bradford City, the sleeping giants of League Two, are true contenders, forget about Northampton, Carlisle and Stockport who are simply wannabees.

Hughes approaches the game on the back of back-to-back successes and in Andy Cook has one of the best strikers outside of the championship. Sam Hornby will be up against his old club and will be looking for a shut out this evening.

After Saturday we must take the game to the Bantams and I forecast a 2-0 home victory. Yes really I do.

Now WB is bemoaning the fact that we have seven players out injured: Cole Skuse, Alan Judge, Ossama Ashley, Chay Cooper, Emyr Huws, Tommy Smith and Gene Kennedy.

But we have 36 in our first team squad (less some of the youngsters who are on loan) so frankly we should not be overly troubled by the current crop of injuries. It is the players currently not at the club that should concern us.

I check the newspaper daily for news of the signing of Michael Folivi and remain optimistic despite the silence which is deafening. Get it done now.

Tonight, marks the 450th appearance of Tom Eastman in a U’s shirt. A great milestone and despite the fact that he was outjumped by Wootton at the weekend for the only goal, Tom is normally Mr Dependable for the U’s. Good luck Tom.

I would go with the following for the starting line-up tonight 4,4,2:

Hornby

Tchamadeu, Chambers, Eastman, Kazeem

Hannant, Marshall Miranda, Chilvers, Owens

Sears Akinde

Subs
O’Hara Dallison Newby Coxe Tovide Clampin Nouble

I do not think I was being harsh on Big Frank at the weekend. Despite the fact that he looked leaner he was abject and offered no support for Sears. I include him only on the bench because we should give Big John a start (even though there are fears about his ability to play 90 minutes).

Noah Chilvers was also off colour and I do hope that there is not a Championship club waiting in the wings to whisk him away or we really would be in the brown and pungent.

A great man once wrote we have nothing to fear but fear itself. WB take note; sitting back and playing defensively conditions the players to negative performances and then when we do fall behind we are chasing the game and the mindset then becomes can we adapt. All too often the answer is no.

The other moan is the correct use of substitutes. If we are to bring a striker on when chasing the game, is it sensible to give Samson Tovide three minutes. He was brought on after 93 minutes on Saturday. Shades of yesteryear!

Samson Tovide requires at least 20 minutes in order to affect the game. Anything less and he has little chance to influence events. If necessary give him the second half.

Colchester weather this evening will be 21 degrees Celsius and partly sunny after rain this afternoon. Pitch could be greasy but otherwise ok.

The Bantams are bringing 400 from West Yorkshire, can we provide 3,000.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 17:20]

Durham_exile

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 23:03 - Aug 16 with 769 viewsDaniel

I don't know of anyone else has noticed it, but tonight we switched to 2 attacking central midfielders and 1 defensive, rather than the other way round. That's how we played at the end of last season when we were on a good run, so hopefully Brown will stick with it.
Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 23:07 - Aug 16 with 757 viewsdurham_exile

Attendance 3,011

About 400 from Bradford
City of Culture

Durham_exile

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 07:03 - Aug 17 with 722 viewsnoah4x4

Judging by these comments, it must have looked better on I-Follow than it did from the South Stand. It was 96 minutes of squeaky bum footie (how did Bradford fail to score?), then one minute of ecstasy , (Eastman scoring when the forwards couldn't hit a barn door), 60 seconds during which the Bantams were unluckly to only hit the post and deserved at least a share of the points. Frankly, we were 30 seconds from a miserable moaning walk home. I thought we were poor, but 3 points changes everything when wearing rose tinted specs.

Kazeem deserved MoM, but Hannant and Nouble were ineffective and rightly subbed, but almost too late. We looked a different side once they had been withdrawn and the final five minutes in added time offered real hope and delivered beyond exprctation. An out of position Clampin delivers far more than Hannant, whilst Akinde is a carthorse that evidently can't lsst 90 minutes, but he at least makes a nuisance of himself, unlike Nouble who seems so predictable. The combination of Sears and Nouble isn't ever going to inspire me as it is too one dimensional. We need a new Striker, end of rant. But the win was welcome.
Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 10:31 - Aug 17 with 663 viewsbwildered

First home three points of the season, which needs to become standard to progress ( yes let’s progress ) up the table after two seasons floundering in the trapdoor positions, got to get in these tight games for this to be achieved.
Excellent contribution by Kazeem, two game changing moments, one a track back which restricted a shot only to Hornby’s right side of goal ( first league clean sheet and hopefully more ), and the body block from the follow up shot which had just hit the post. Looked more comfortable with Clampin in a inter changeable set up, which gave him better cover.
Big John, now a set piece sub, if we are adventurous to get one in the final five minutes,
Has the season develops can see Hannant and Newby being a either or selection has Chilvers wasted playing in deeper.
Marshall Miranda had a reasonable game, but bullied off the ball when in possession couple of times so might just need to bulk up has his career develops.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 10:32]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 16:22 - Aug 17 with 602 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 21:45 - Aug 16 by gerry_us

My favourite player wins it for us.
Wasn't it his 400th appearance tonight?

450th I believe.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 18:02 - Aug 17 with 581 viewsthrillseeker

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 16:22 - Aug 17 by RSCOSWORTH

450th I believe.

Sure I read somewhere it is was his 450th appearance

400 league appearances
50 cup appearances
Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 19:27 - Aug 17 with 574 viewswessex_exile

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 18:02 - Aug 17 by thrillseeker

400 league appearances
50 cup appearances

Think you're right there TS.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 20:03 - Aug 17 with 567 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 18:02 - Aug 17 by thrillseeker

400 league appearances
50 cup appearances

Correct. Odd that they happened together.

Never realised he played six games on loan at Crawley back in 2011.

Login to get fewer ads

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 20:42 - Aug 17 with 563 viewsdurham_exile

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 20:03 - Aug 17 by RSCOSWORTH

Absolutely correct I have amended to read 450

Some great goals over the years too.

Apart from last night he scored the winner at Barrow last year in a 3-2 win towering header.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 22:22 - Aug 17 with 551 viewswessex_exile

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 20:03 - Aug 17 by RSCOSWORTH

All of which means I think he's 16 league games away from his 400th league appearance for the U's, and three games away from his 50th cup appearance for the U's - I'd expect him to reach both of those milestones this season.

Beastman, he bleeds blue and white!

Up the U's

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 09:37 - Aug 18 with 516 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 22:22 - Aug 17 by wessex_exile

All of which means I think he's 16 league games away from his 400th league appearance for the U's, and three games away from his 50th cup appearance for the U's - I'd expect him to reach both of those milestones this season.

Beastman, he bleeds blue and white!

I think the 400 league and 50 cup appearances are for the U's only. Also has appearances for Crawley and some team from Suffolk.

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 16:10 - Aug 18 with 477 viewswessex_exile

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 09:37 - Aug 18 by RSCOSWORTH

I think the 400 league and 50 cup appearances are for the U's only. Also has appearances for Crawley and some team from Suffolk.

I was wondering, but looking at the font of all knowledge Wikipedia, it looks like 400 league and 50 cup appearances were milestones for his full professional football career, Crawley and that lot included.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Eastman

So, Anniversary Time II beckons later this season I reckon

Up the U's

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 16:56 - Aug 18 with 471 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Wessex, a man of your standing should know better than to use Wikipedia.

Soccerbase is your friend.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=53829

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 18:42 - Aug 18 with 455 viewswessex_exile

Poultry Bantams to be consumed by Super U's on 16:56 - Aug 18 by RSCOSWORTH

Wessex, a man of your standing should know better than to use Wikipedia.

Soccerbase is your friend.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=53829

LOL - normally I'd 100% agree with you, but the Col U Wikipedia pages are (mostly) maintained by an extremely knowledgeable Col U supporter, and are normally one of the best set of football club Wikipedia pages, certainly in the UK, and probably globally.

Looks like the Wikipedia stats don't include coming on as a sub, just first team starts in matches - my bad

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024