Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread 10:32 - Oct 21 with 17235 viewsHullDale

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:36 - Oct 22 with 3109 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:32 - Oct 22 by dawlishdale

Really wanted to be posting about the positives today following our mini revival, but I'm struggling to see many. We were very very poor today, and the senior players, together with the rest plus the coaching staff all need to look at themselves critically.

We were awful for long periods barring the first 5 minutes, and then another 3 or 4 minutes around our goal. Apart from that, it was an abject performance by most of the team with individual errors throughout. It's impossible to remember them all, but not many players came out of the game with any credit.

Having said all that, I thought AFC Wimbledon were possibly the worst anti football team I've seen for many a season, and they should be thoroughly ashamed at their dark arts antics; openly encouraged by their Management team.

It wouldn't take many weeks of watching that garbage before I was looking for alternative forms of entertainment.

Timewasting is timewasting, whatever amount of it takes place or whatever tactics are used to do it.

Why is it ok when we do it but “dark arts” etc when the opposition do?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:39 - Oct 22 with 3081 viewsTVOS1907

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:36 - Oct 22 by 442Dale

Timewasting is timewasting, whatever amount of it takes place or whatever tactics are used to do it.

Why is it ok when we do it but “dark arts” etc when the opposition do?

It's a fair question. In our recent wins at Colchester and Newport, we 'managed' the later stages of both games extremely well, much to the annoyance of the home fans.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:39 - Oct 22 with 3086 viewsHullDale

For a team so instrinsically linked with the campaign to change governance in football, its a huge leap (in a 'people in glass houses' scenario) to associate them with the time wasting, histrionics and general poor demeanour of that team.

No qualms about the result - we were both poor, they took their chances - but that is as close to anti-football as you can get. Steve Evans-lite.

Quigley was a big miss and, for all the (deserved) stick he has had lately, Ball is not easily replaceable in this side.

Tuesday won't be easy, but we need to step back up quickly to the levels seen in previous games.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:40 - Oct 22 with 3065 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:39 - Oct 22 by TVOS1907

It's a fair question. In our recent wins at Colchester and Newport, we 'managed' the later stages of both games extremely well, much to the annoyance of the home fans.

DID WE HAVE VOLDEMORT AND SAURON IN THE BACK FOUR?

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:45 - Oct 22 with 3008 viewsDaley_Lama

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:32 - Oct 22 by dawlishdale

Really wanted to be posting about the positives today following our mini revival, but I'm struggling to see many. We were very very poor today, and the senior players, together with the rest plus the coaching staff all need to look at themselves critically.

We were awful for long periods barring the first 5 minutes, and then another 3 or 4 minutes around our goal. Apart from that, it was an abject performance by most of the team with individual errors throughout. It's impossible to remember them all, but not many players came out of the game with any credit.

Having said all that, I thought AFC Wimbledon were possibly the worst anti football team I've seen for many a season, and they should be thoroughly ashamed at their dark arts antics; openly encouraged by their Management team.

It wouldn't take many weeks of watching that garbage before I was looking for alternative forms of entertainment.

Second goal was awful from EBL initially and keeper will be disappointed (note - he has been ace of late) From their perspective their lad did awesomely, strength, brains and cracking shot from tightest of angles.

Wimbledon feigning of injuries was up there with the best we have ever seen.

Harry Pell (8) was the best of them, a plain and simple cheat.

Odo can’t pass btw, been holding that in all season. His through ball for Kelly that went for a goal-kick first half was the straw that broke my silence.

We got a bit out-muscled today - Quiggs and Ball both losses in that respect.

Poll: DF in or out

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:56 - Oct 22 with 2905 viewsHullDale

Embarassing.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:57 - Oct 22 with 2896 viewsHullDale

Even more embarassing.

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:09 - Oct 22 with 2792 viewssince58

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:45 - Oct 22 by Daley_Lama

Second goal was awful from EBL initially and keeper will be disappointed (note - he has been ace of late) From their perspective their lad did awesomely, strength, brains and cracking shot from tightest of angles.

Wimbledon feigning of injuries was up there with the best we have ever seen.

Harry Pell (8) was the best of them, a plain and simple cheat.

Odo can’t pass btw, been holding that in all season. His through ball for Kelly that went for a goal-kick first half was the straw that broke my silence.

We got a bit out-muscled today - Quiggs and Ball both losses in that respect.

Got to agree about odoh ,dont think he can cut it.hope im proved wrong tho.
Login to get fewer ads

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:13 - Oct 22 with 2708 viewsD_Alien

It was pretty shit, wasn't it

We created one chance all afternoon, and scored, but lack of quality and composure plus Wimbledon's successful breakup of any momentum meant we never looked like getting anything from the game

Quigley an obvious miss, but at last people are starting to see how Ball impacts the game, even when he's not been at his best. Without those two, lightweight becomes an understatement

I thought John offered a bit more at left-wingback when he came on, but no-one emerged with much credit apart from Graham again, my MoM. Malley was anonymous when he had a chance to impress

I think we're going to get more games like this and whilst we ground out a result against Barrow, our depleted squad just didn't have enough today. Two tough away games now

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:31 - Oct 22 with 2569 viewsBillyRudd

Every team time wastes but there are degrees of it. If that had been a Dale team I would have found it embarrassing.
If trainers were allowed on while play continued (as in other team games) the feigning of injuries would cease instantly. Its hardly rocket science but obviously to much for the Luddites controlling a game in the entertainment business.
Am not making excuses for our poor performance but between them, Dons and the referee killed that game as any form of spectacle.
Regarding our performance, how do you get 7 minutes of extra time and only get the ball in their box once? Onwards and upwards.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:42 - Oct 22 with 2481 viewsfourfourtwo

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 16:52 - Oct 22 by 442Dale

Just like we have wasted time in previous games.

I couldn’t disagree more with your post more.

Even in the more difficult wins over the last couple of weeks, we’ve come nowhere near sinking to the depths displayed by Wimbledon today.

This is absolutely no excuse for what was a truly dreadful performance. The worst of Bentley’s reign for me.

But the time wasting and downright blatant cheating on show today was as bad as anything I’ve ever seen. No exaggeration.

I know there’s this “win at all cost” mentality, but I genuinely would hate to follow a team that employed the “dark arts” to that extreme. They were a disgrace.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2022 19:50]
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:48 - Oct 22 with 2458 viewsfourfourtwo

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:13 - Oct 22 by D_Alien

It was pretty shit, wasn't it

We created one chance all afternoon, and scored, but lack of quality and composure plus Wimbledon's successful breakup of any momentum meant we never looked like getting anything from the game

Quigley an obvious miss, but at last people are starting to see how Ball impacts the game, even when he's not been at his best. Without those two, lightweight becomes an understatement

I thought John offered a bit more at left-wingback when he came on, but no-one emerged with much credit apart from Graham again, my MoM. Malley was anonymous when he had a chance to impress

I think we're going to get more games like this and whilst we ground out a result against Barrow, our depleted squad just didn't have enough today. Two tough away games now

Couldn’t agree more about Ball. He was a real miss today. Absolutely no idea what Malley was about today. Either he doesn’t really care that much, or he will be sat at home tonight the most annoyed man on Earth. Talk about blowing an opportunity.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:50 - Oct 22 with 2423 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:42 - Oct 22 by fourfourtwo

I couldn’t disagree more with your post more.

Even in the more difficult wins over the last couple of weeks, we’ve come nowhere near sinking to the depths displayed by Wimbledon today.

This is absolutely no excuse for what was a truly dreadful performance. The worst of Bentley’s reign for me.

But the time wasting and downright blatant cheating on show today was as bad as anything I’ve ever seen. No exaggeration.

I know there’s this “win at all cost” mentality, but I genuinely would hate to follow a team that employed the “dark arts” to that extreme. They were a disgrace.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2022 19:50]

As noted, timewasting is timewasting, whatever way you go about it. It wastes time.

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:57 - Oct 22 with 2357 viewsfourfourtwo

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:50 - Oct 22 by 442Dale

As noted, timewasting is timewasting, whatever way you go about it. It wastes time.

No. There is the expectation that the winning team will gradually take longer to complete certain tasks, that is to be expected and frustrating.

Wimbledon went way beyond that today. There was consistent snide attempts at kicking the ball away when the ref wasn’t looking. Players consistently dropping to their knees “injured”, rolling about whenever we were in the ascendency.

Pell was injured about 8 times. Their number 9 came over and booted the ball away pretending to pick it up. Bentley went for their number 10 as he came off.

I get you’re trying to be all high and mighty, sitting on the fence making out it’s all the same, but it isn’t.

They were a fooking disgrace today and you’re wrong for defending it.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2022 19:00]
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 19:01 - Oct 22 with 2309 viewsisitme

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:48 - Oct 22 by fourfourtwo

Couldn’t agree more about Ball. He was a real miss today. Absolutely no idea what Malley was about today. Either he doesn’t really care that much, or he will be sat at home tonight the most annoyed man on Earth. Talk about blowing an opportunity.

Malley had a big opportunity today and blew it. I thought we were really poor on the ball and they were not much better. Their gamesmanship was a disgrace with players feinting injury at every opportunity in the second half. It was an awful advert for the game.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 19:01 - Oct 22 with 2304 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:57 - Oct 22 by fourfourtwo

No. There is the expectation that the winning team will gradually take longer to complete certain tasks, that is to be expected and frustrating.

Wimbledon went way beyond that today. There was consistent snide attempts at kicking the ball away when the ref wasn’t looking. Players consistently dropping to their knees “injured”, rolling about whenever we were in the ascendency.

Pell was injured about 8 times. Their number 9 came over and booted the ball away pretending to pick it up. Bentley went for their number 10 as he came off.

I get you’re trying to be all high and mighty, sitting on the fence making out it’s all the same, but it isn’t.

They were a fooking disgrace today and you’re wrong for defending it.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2022 19:00]

I’m not trying to be anything. We kicked the ball away into the stand twice at Colchester and there was a kerfuffle on the touch line when Odoh tried to delay the ball going back to them. Was what Wimbledon did annoying? Yep. But I’m sure Colchester fans thought the same.

There’s no defending it, I’m saying it happens and always has.

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 19:10 - Oct 22 with 2212 viewsfourfourtwo

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 19:01 - Oct 22 by 442Dale

I’m not trying to be anything. We kicked the ball away into the stand twice at Colchester and there was a kerfuffle on the touch line when Odoh tried to delay the ball going back to them. Was what Wimbledon did annoying? Yep. But I’m sure Colchester fans thought the same.

There’s no defending it, I’m saying it happens and always has.

It doesn’t and shouldn’t happen to the extent on display today.

I’m not just saying this because we lost, this really isn’t an excuse for the performance because we were second best all over the pitch.

I’m not prepared to see Wimbledons antics written off as “gamesmanship” because it wasn’t. It went beyond that and was absolutely awful to watch.

That was worse than anything I’ve seen from a Darren Ferguson team, and that’s saying something.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2022 19:11]
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 19:25 - Oct 22 with 2119 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 19:10 - Oct 22 by fourfourtwo

It doesn’t and shouldn’t happen to the extent on display today.

I’m not just saying this because we lost, this really isn’t an excuse for the performance because we were second best all over the pitch.

I’m not prepared to see Wimbledons antics written off as “gamesmanship” because it wasn’t. It went beyond that and was absolutely awful to watch.

That was worse than anything I’ve seen from a Darren Ferguson team, and that’s saying something.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2022 19:11]

That’s fair enough, all about personal opinions.

Bentley’s is much like mine:
“They got the dark arts spot on like any team away from home will do. You know, if they can waste time they will do. That’s part and parcel of the game, that’s down to the referee to nip in the bud.”

He also mentioned in his interview that Charman’s transfer was a board decision.

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 19:35 - Oct 22 with 2003 viewsEllDale

No-one man ever makes a team but thank God we signed Quigley when we did if that’s how we cope in his absence.
Rodney isn’t a target man and it’s pointless trying to lump the ball up to him and Sinclair.
And as for Odoh. There seems to be so much talent there and the effort is apparent but they double marked on that side so he was frustrated today so perhaps Wimbledon had done their homework or knew him from when he played down there?
They set up to stifle the midfield and to choke our wide men and followed the plan perfectly notwithstanding the “game management”.
I noticed that every we seemed to clear the ball from our penalty area in the first half it seemed to fall to one of their players. Was there a case for reverting to 442?
Malley was a massive disappointment after the first ten minutes. Anonymous. Campbell seems to have disappeared again too.
One plus might be the emergence of Cameron John as a left back.
Having said all that their second goal was a gift. We had half a dozen players still in their half when the ball hit the back of the net. It looked to be an acute angle when he shot but it’s hard to judge from the Sandy.
EBJ now has to haul them back onto their feet for Tuesday.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 19:49 - Oct 22 with 1926 viewsfourfourtwo

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 19:25 - Oct 22 by 442Dale

That’s fair enough, all about personal opinions.

Bentley’s is much like mine:
“They got the dark arts spot on like any team away from home will do. You know, if they can waste time they will do. That’s part and parcel of the game, that’s down to the referee to nip in the bud.”

He also mentioned in his interview that Charman’s transfer was a board decision.

I think it’s fair to say Bentley is towing the line there because he nearly went for two of their players as they came off.

I just keep getting flash backs to different players literally taking it in turns to sit down “injured” every time we actually managed to start passing the ball. That’s not game management, it was a disgrace.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 19:53 - Oct 22 with 1892 viewsNorthernDale

I thought the m.o.m was Diagouraga, but Odoh was poor again , I would play Sinclair and Rodney on the wings, with Hendo in the central striker roe, with Odoh rested. For a big man, Rodney was also generally poor in the central role, he seems to have no pace and struggled physically, that is why he is more suited to the wide role. In truth both teams looked poor and combine this with a weak referee, ensured It was not a game that will be remembered for its quality and entertainment.

Now it is onto Tranmere where we have little success and then Walsall. I would be more then happy with two draws from the next two games. I hope just Ball is back, that Graham injury was not too bad, but Stockdale recruitment as left short of quality in midfield.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2022 19:58]
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:12 - Oct 22 with 1752 viewsJames1980

What stood to me was the number of passes that were over hit by our players.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:18 - Oct 22 with 1723 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:12 - Oct 22 by James1980

Yeah. Kelly especially guilty of this and not just today. For a player with obvious ability he does it far too often with straightforward balls.

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:19 - Oct 22 with 1709 viewsleedsdale

Agreed.

The pass by John to set up Rodney for the assist was the first real forward pass that was played at the right pace. The worst example for me was towards the end when Seriki got down the right and then tried to play it inside to Kelly but found a space instead. So frustrating.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:20 - Oct 22 with 1682 viewsD_Alien

You're not wrong James

The one player we have who has a natural ability to weight a pass correctly is Brierley. Kelly is doing okay at the moment and his close passing is up to scratch but Brierley's technique is superior, either short or long

I can understand EBJ's reluctance to expose him to the rough and tumble of L2 but sooner or later, if we're going to get our forwards on the end of passes in the danger zone, he should be given more game time

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024