Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Serious question, Who would replace Martin 18:34 - Dec 29 with 12529 viewsdantheswansman

I see a lot of people saying Martin has to go but who would replace him?
please tell me who with our limited budget would even consider coming in and taking over, unless the owners seriously change their stance who could we possibly attract?
It never gets mentioned, you want Martin out but dont seem to look forward to who would bother taking us on
Genuinely interested because i am of the opinion Martin with a little more support from the owners could be excellent
Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 18:27 - Feb 4 with 1727 viewsDr_Parnassus

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 18:26 - Feb 4 by dantheswansman

I agree with most of what you say but not a single name put forward is better than what we have, why deliberately go backwards

Again, by what metric do you think the names mentioned aren’t better?

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 18:27 - Feb 4 with 1731 viewsjojaca

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 18:15 - Feb 4 by dantheswansman

SO the vocal minority want him gone but have absolutely nobody to replace him with, and the names they do mention are infinitely worse, this "supporter" base never fails to make me laugh, you don't look at the bigger picture at all, incredibly stupid!

It's not the supporters job to replace manager.

Even when you know, you never know?

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 18:32 - Feb 4 with 1709 viewsraynor94

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 20:52 - Dec 29 by Kilkennyjack

Now we are talking ….. 18 months please.

Totally overated, Everton saw right through him

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 18:32 - Feb 4 with 1703 viewsonehunglow

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 18:27 - Feb 4 by jojaca

Cutting and very true.
Fans should not have to put up with this crap.

Many of us really could run the club and team better .Trouble we have other jobs and lives

Plenty of managers around who would love to manage us

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 18:37 - Feb 4 with 1687 viewsKeithHaynes

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 18:32 - Feb 4 by onehunglow

Cutting and very true.

Many of us really could run the club and team better .Trouble we have other jobs and lives

That’s true and that coukd well be the next move.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 19:01 - Feb 4 with 1639 viewsBarryTownSwam

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 18:32 - Feb 4 by onehunglow

Cutting and very true.

If the job became vacant we’d have a host of top applicants. I suspect Swansea is considered by most managers as a job where you’ll be given time to make a difference, with the opportunity to get the team back in the big money league (and earn themselves huge financial and career kudos), and develop and shape a young squad in a style of play you choose and you implement. Very attractive to the majority of managers.
Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 19:12 - Feb 4 with 1617 viewsQJumpingJack

Cam Toshack.
Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 19:31 - Feb 4 with 1589 viewsonehunglow

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 19:01 - Feb 4 by BarryTownSwam

If the job became vacant we’d have a host of top applicants. I suspect Swansea is considered by most managers as a job where you’ll be given time to make a difference, with the opportunity to get the team back in the big money league (and earn themselves huge financial and career kudos), and develop and shape a young squad in a style of play you choose and you implement. Very attractive to the majority of managers.

Nice area
Prem league stadium
Passionate fans
And some doubt us ?

Login to get fewer ads

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 19:32 - Feb 4 with 1594 viewsSullutaCreturned

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 21:15 - Dec 29 by Dr_Parnassus

Net spend means nothing.

Steve Cooper had a minus £52m net spend or something similar, Potter a minus £35m net spend. These figures are rough, but it’s about the mark.

Russ was break even at last check, may be a couple of million in the minus. That’s an extreme luxury.

We have spent millions on new players, a luxury that most clubs don’t have. Many haven’t spent a penny in years.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2022 21:16]

Of course net spend means something, unless you are recently relegated because the parachute payments completely unbalance the picture.

If you ignore the wage figures, how much did Potter and Cooper have to spend and how much came in through transfers? Even those numbers will be skewed as we sold players from the EPL time.
The simple truth is (and bearing in mind I don't rate Martin and think his constant use of such negative football...and all the things you, Dr P have said that I agree with about his selections and tactics) even with an incompetent manager if we had signed 3 reasonable players we would still have had a crack this season. That's because this division is so rubbish this season. There are only 2/3 decent teams.

I didn't go today, my son is ill. My mate text me and said Martin has to go. We were apparently comfortable at 3-2, in his opinion, but then Martin made changes and it all changed. Anyone else who went agree with him?

We need two changes, we need a competent manager, one who can at least recognise his faults, where he constantly goes wrong and change his approach AND we need the owners to stop the BS. Don't keep saying we are signing players when we won't. It's the lying and BS I don't like. otherwise the owners have done a decent enough job.

The 100% bottom line is though, I'd be happier with new owners and a new manager.
Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 19:33 - Feb 4 with 1594 viewsCimlaHillJack

Yes, anyone with a basic knowledge of football management.
Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 19:47 - Feb 4 with 1564 viewsGixerJack

Yeah, remember how we had to beat them away the last time we had a vacancy?
Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 19:55 - Feb 4 with 1549 viewsDr_Parnassus

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 19:32 - Feb 4 by SullutaCreturned

Of course net spend means something, unless you are recently relegated because the parachute payments completely unbalance the picture.

If you ignore the wage figures, how much did Potter and Cooper have to spend and how much came in through transfers? Even those numbers will be skewed as we sold players from the EPL time.
The simple truth is (and bearing in mind I don't rate Martin and think his constant use of such negative football...and all the things you, Dr P have said that I agree with about his selections and tactics) even with an incompetent manager if we had signed 3 reasonable players we would still have had a crack this season. That's because this division is so rubbish this season. There are only 2/3 decent teams.

I didn't go today, my son is ill. My mate text me and said Martin has to go. We were apparently comfortable at 3-2, in his opinion, but then Martin made changes and it all changed. Anyone else who went agree with him?

We need two changes, we need a competent manager, one who can at least recognise his faults, where he constantly goes wrong and change his approach AND we need the owners to stop the BS. Don't keep saying we are signing players when we won't. It's the lying and BS I don't like. otherwise the owners have done a decent enough job.

The 100% bottom line is though, I'd be happier with new owners and a new manager.

Again, net spend means nothing.

Let’s say we got rid of Obafemi for £4m and we managed to bring in another Piroe for £1m, have we strengthened the squad or weakened it?

Money spent means freedom of choice to shape a squad, regardless of sales.

Man City have made a €9m profit this season on transfers. Brentford have spent €48m above their sales.

Do we expect Brentford to finish higher than Man City as a result?

The answer is of course not, because Man City not only had a valuable squad, but actually spent €150m. Allowing them to bring in the likes of Haaland while offloading ageing players like Sterling who were not going to be playing much of a part anyway.

So the more you spend the more options you have to strengthen. Net spend is irrelevant.

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 19:56 - Feb 4 with 1550 viewsSullutaCreturned

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 19:47 - Feb 4 by GixerJack

Yeah, remember how we had to beat them away the last time we had a vacancy?

Yeah, didn't someone turn us down just in case something better came along.

Personally I'd give the job to Dr P, I know he'd take a stats based approach but at least there would be a logical reason, a fact based reason for the changes. The stats say you underperformed so dropped! I'm also fairly confident if a players stats said he was a centre back he wouldn't be shoe horned in as a wing back.
Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 20:07 - Feb 4 with 1525 viewsunion_jack

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 18:27 - Feb 4 by jojaca

Indeed, but it is our right to voice our concerns. And we will.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 20:07 - Feb 4 with 1525 viewsJack11

To answer the topic question. Being a bit unrealistic but definitely possible Ralf Hassenhuttl.
Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 20:08 - Feb 4 with 1518 viewsBarrySwan

I suppose anyone who is bright enough to realise that trying to play like Barcelona at the back with a bunch of defenders who look as if they'd be more comfortable in a local Sunday league added to an exciting variety of hopeless keepers is a very bad thing.

And that signing a couple of free transfers who might actually be capable of passing to their own side over distances above 5 to 10 yards whilst occasionally marking opposition players in our own box might be a very good thing.
Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 20:12 - Feb 4 with 1503 viewsSullutaCreturned

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 19:55 - Feb 4 by Dr_Parnassus

Again, net spend means nothing.

Let’s say we got rid of Obafemi for £4m and we managed to bring in another Piroe for £1m, have we strengthened the squad or weakened it?

Money spent means freedom of choice to shape a squad, regardless of sales.

Man City have made a €9m profit this season on transfers. Brentford have spent €48m above their sales.

Do we expect Brentford to finish higher than Man City as a result?

The answer is of course not, because Man City not only had a valuable squad, but actually spent €150m. Allowing them to bring in the likes of Haaland while offloading ageing players like Sterling who were not going to be playing much of a part anyway.

So the more you spend the more options you have to strengthen. Net spend is irrelevant.

Net spend does mean little in the EPL. Man City made a profit but how much did they spend in total comoared to Brentford? After all Brentford didn't have a massive squad of EPl players to sell this season and nor do they have mega rich owners.

It's a different ball game outside the EPL, specially once parachute payments finish.

Then, seeing as you have been championing the argument that we have spent a lot of money under these owners, if net spend doesn't matter I guess that argument also means nothing.
Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 20:19 - Feb 4 with 1479 viewsDr_Parnassus

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 20:12 - Feb 4 by SullutaCreturned

Net spend does mean little in the EPL. Man City made a profit but how much did they spend in total comoared to Brentford? After all Brentford didn't have a massive squad of EPl players to sell this season and nor do they have mega rich owners.

It's a different ball game outside the EPL, specially once parachute payments finish.

Then, seeing as you have been championing the argument that we have spent a lot of money under these owners, if net spend doesn't matter I guess that argument also means nothing.

They spent €150m compared to Brentford’s €50m.

That’s my point, it’s far easier to improve your side when you spend money, regardless of what you manage to ship out. The deals you manage to get for sales have no impact on the deals you bring in.

Essentially swapping Haaland for Sterling is remarkable business and although the net spend on that transaction will be pretty much zero, the improvement in their side is stratospheric.

My argument is simple, liquid spend plus squad value is the metric for spend related expectation. That’s the case of every league, whether it’s a relegation year or not.

Net spend doesn’t tell us anything of note.

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 20:30 - Feb 4 with 1468 viewsBadlands

Sousa.

But we should also be looking to replace
Gill
Thornton
Parker
Parslow
Willmott
O,Leary
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 20:35]

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 21:14 - Feb 4 with 1387 viewsSullutaCreturned

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 20:19 - Feb 4 by Dr_Parnassus

They spent €150m compared to Brentford’s €50m.

That’s my point, it’s far easier to improve your side when you spend money, regardless of what you manage to ship out. The deals you manage to get for sales have no impact on the deals you bring in.

Essentially swapping Haaland for Sterling is remarkable business and although the net spend on that transaction will be pretty much zero, the improvement in their side is stratospheric.

My argument is simple, liquid spend plus squad value is the metric for spend related expectation. That’s the case of every league, whether it’s a relegation year or not.

Net spend doesn’t tell us anything of note.

You said " The deals you manage to get for sales have no impact on the deals you bring in"

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. Brentford didnt have the players to sell and have gambled on staying up so next years money will pay their bill.

Man City spent 150 million but took in 159 million, how is that "no impact"?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-city/transfers/verein/281

I do agree that essentially swapping Sterling for Haaland was a great piece of business but they paid 60 million for Haaland and how much is he worth now?

170 million acording to this,
https://www.transfermarkt.com/erling-haaland/marktwertverlauf/spieler/418560

Man City's profit means they are safe from FFP whereas Brentford have taken on debt, many clubs have done that trying to stay up and ended up like Portsmouth or Sunderland. When you have mega rich owners and a squad overloaded with top talent it's also much easier to attract top players.
Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 21:30 - Feb 4 with 1374 viewsReslovenSwan1

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 20:30 - Feb 4 by Badlands

Sousa.

But we should also be looking to replace
Gill
Thornton
Parker
Parslow
Willmott
O,Leary
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 20:35]

Did no one point out the consequences of three individual substitutions. The boss needed help out there. Have all of them not been sleeping well.?

Wise sage since Toshack era

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 22:42 - Feb 4 with 1330 viewsDr_Parnassus

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 21:14 - Feb 4 by SullutaCreturned

You said " The deals you manage to get for sales have no impact on the deals you bring in"

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. Brentford didnt have the players to sell and have gambled on staying up so next years money will pay their bill.

Man City spent 150 million but took in 159 million, how is that "no impact"?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-city/transfers/verein/281

I do agree that essentially swapping Sterling for Haaland was a great piece of business but they paid 60 million for Haaland and how much is he worth now?

170 million acording to this,
https://www.transfermarkt.com/erling-haaland/marktwertverlauf/spieler/418560

Man City's profit means they are safe from FFP whereas Brentford have taken on debt, many clubs have done that trying to stay up and ended up like Portsmouth or Sunderland. When you have mega rich owners and a squad overloaded with top talent it's also much easier to attract top players.

Huh?

We are talking about impact on expectation, not impact on debt.

Sterling wasn’t going to play much of a part, neither was Jesus… so they bring in Haaland and co for less than the players they got rid of - players leaving made no impact on plans… yet their squad improves immeasurably with the addition of Haaland.

If we get rid of Pato tomorrow for £10m and spend £6m on a class right back, a class keeper and a class forward… have we weakened the squad or strengthened it?

We would have a net spend of £4m profit. Your net spend argument suggests we would be a weaker team.

So again, net spend means nothing in relation to spending based expectations.

Squad value and amount spent does however. In fact, you could probably roughly map out the league top to bottom and probably be there or there abouts in terms of league position.

Do it by net spend and you would be nowhere near, you may get Man City bottom for example.

That is evidence enough.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 22:48]

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 22:58 - Feb 4 with 1304 viewsSTID2017

How would they cope with having Zilch to spend in the transfer market and being lied too ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 23:13 - Feb 4 with 1295 viewsDr_Parnassus

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 22:58 - Feb 4 by STID2017

How would they cope with having Zilch to spend in the transfer market and being lied too ?

What would the lie be?

He didn’t have zilch to spend, we have spent more in the last 18 months than any other 18 month period in our football league history.

There was more available in January too if the deals could have gone through. Grant would have cost upwards of £500k just for a short term loan which WBA backed out of last minute.

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 23:21 - Feb 4 with 1278 viewsonehunglow

Serious question, Who would replace Martin on 23:13 - Feb 4 by Dr_Parnassus

What would the lie be?

He didn’t have zilch to spend, we have spent more in the last 18 months than any other 18 month period in our football league history.

There was more available in January too if the deals could have gone through. Grant would have cost upwards of £500k just for a short term loan which WBA backed out of last minute.

MRtin apologists in full flow
It is they who have been lied to

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024