Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time wasting. 17:43 - Jan 8 with 931 viewsbwildered

Football lawmakers are reported on a mission to reduce time wasting. Two potential options being considered .
The first is to increase stoppage time at the end of full and half time, which was tested at the recent Qatar World Cup .
The second school of thought is to reduce matches to sixty minutes, but to stop the clock when the ball is not in play .
The stats, in World Cup games the ball was in play 58m 4 secs, not including extra time, which is 3 mins more than the average than Premier League game this season . The difference between the most and least is a astonishing 25 mins , 43m 26 secs and 68 mins .

Well it is OK if your winning !!

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Time wasting. on 17:58 - Jan 8 with 908 viewswessex_exile

I don't see what the issue is, so why try to fix something that isn't broken? The referee is already empowered to deal with blatant time-wasting, using both yellow cards and adding additional time on to the end. Yes it's infuriating if you're on the receiving end, but to me it's also an essential skill of the professional footballer when it serves your purpose, and a joy to watch when you're benefiting from it. Imagine a scenario like yesterday in a 60 minute game. The U's race to an early 2-0 lead on 17 minutes, and spend the next 43 minutes playing as much keep-ball as possible to run down the clock. It would be dreadful.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Time wasting. on 19:18 - Jan 8 with 891 viewsconcordman

I am personally sick of all the cheating (time wasting) that goes on. Scenario 1. 86th minute, my team is winning 1-0 so I decide to foul my opponent that warrants a yellow card. I will run off from incident ignoring referee who has whistled play to stop and is calling me back to card me. I continue to intentionally ignore him until the 3rd or 4th whistle. I reluctantly walk back towards the official and complain to him that it’s not a yellow card. He eventually issues the card. I am thinking job done. Meanwhile my teammate has cheated (encroached) and steps up to stop free kick being taken. When everything is settlesd and 2 minutes have ran off the clock and we are now in 88th minute. Scenario 2. 83rd minute of game there is a foul inside the penalty area. The referee points to the spot. The score is 2-0 to team conceding penalty. The team conceding penalty decides to argue (time waste/cheat) with ref and after the referee has waved everyone away, the goalkeeper decides to walk up and check where the ball has been positioned for the penalty kick. When the referee has told him to get on his line he then checks everyone is outside the penalty area and a defender decides to push a player (time waste/cheat) and the referee warns him to stand still. It is now 87th minute and the penalty is taken.

I could go on. The solution to both these scenarios and plenty of others is to simply stop the clock. So the scenarios happen in the 83rd and 86th minutes respectively, the games would resume at same point, 83rd and 86th minute. Cheating eliminated.

That is how it is done here in America with college soccer. It is extremely difficult to waste time here. The sub in the 89th min? Stop the clock. If your team is doing the cheating then fine, but when it happens against your team, it’s wrong. It’s wrong period. Still play 90 mins, just stop the clock when needed, injuries, goals scored, penalties, issuing cards, blatant time wasting.
Time wasting. on 20:02 - Jan 8 with 883 viewsnoah4x4

Please no Americanisms, clock stopping, time-outs or other nonsense that interfere with the flow of the game. Referees have adequate sanctions.
Time wasting. on 20:10 - Jan 8 with 875 viewsgerry_us

Time wasting. on 19:18 - Jan 8 by concordman

I am personally sick of all the cheating (time wasting) that goes on. Scenario 1. 86th minute, my team is winning 1-0 so I decide to foul my opponent that warrants a yellow card. I will run off from incident ignoring referee who has whistled play to stop and is calling me back to card me. I continue to intentionally ignore him until the 3rd or 4th whistle. I reluctantly walk back towards the official and complain to him that it’s not a yellow card. He eventually issues the card. I am thinking job done. Meanwhile my teammate has cheated (encroached) and steps up to stop free kick being taken. When everything is settlesd and 2 minutes have ran off the clock and we are now in 88th minute. Scenario 2. 83rd minute of game there is a foul inside the penalty area. The referee points to the spot. The score is 2-0 to team conceding penalty. The team conceding penalty decides to argue (time waste/cheat) with ref and after the referee has waved everyone away, the goalkeeper decides to walk up and check where the ball has been positioned for the penalty kick. When the referee has told him to get on his line he then checks everyone is outside the penalty area and a defender decides to push a player (time waste/cheat) and the referee warns him to stand still. It is now 87th minute and the penalty is taken.

I could go on. The solution to both these scenarios and plenty of others is to simply stop the clock. So the scenarios happen in the 83rd and 86th minutes respectively, the games would resume at same point, 83rd and 86th minute. Cheating eliminated.

That is how it is done here in America with college soccer. It is extremely difficult to waste time here. The sub in the 89th min? Stop the clock. If your team is doing the cheating then fine, but when it happens against your team, it’s wrong. It’s wrong period. Still play 90 mins, just stop the clock when needed, injuries, goals scored, penalties, issuing cards, blatant time wasting.

Mmm.
When we lived in America we would always switch on TV to watch the news at the end of the NFL broadcast. Inevitably there would be only minutes of the game left but we often waited more than half an hour at least before the news came on.
Also see my earlier post on goal celebrations which are now becoming the major cause of "added time" at the end of first half and end of game. Yesterday at Harrogate added time was total 11 minutes...at least.
Time wasting. on 21:09 - Jan 8 with 861 viewsLeadbelly

Time wasting. on 20:02 - Jan 8 by noah4x4

Please no Americanisms, clock stopping, time-outs or other nonsense that interfere with the flow of the game. Referees have adequate sanctions.

Time-outs, no, but stopping the clock interferes with the “flow” of the game no more than the appalling time wasting so many players indulge in. We pay for 90 minutes but get 60 minutes of play. Americans do get what they pay for.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Time wasting. on 21:22 - Jan 8 with 854 viewsghughes11

we pretty much get 'time-outs' now anyway when a player goes down "injured" most of the players rush to the technical area for a team meeting anyway - so no difference there really apart from giving it a name and making it official!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Time wasting. on 20:07 - Jan 9 with 779 viewsconcordman

Nothing to do with Americanisms. The game doesn’t flow now because of time wasting. Referee pressing a button on his watch (clock stopping) would put an end to time wasting so the game could flow. I happened to witness this in America. Fact.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024