Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road. 10:21 - Jan 22 with 39652 viewsEsox_Lucius

IF, and it's a big if. the club were forced away from H&F to build a stadium which could provide income 360+ days a years to generate the revenue to make us competitive as a team again would you be for or against it. Yes or No will suffice, there's no need for comments like "knowing QPR they'd fück it up" etc. Just Yes or No.

The grass is always greener.

Loftus Road. on 11:18 - Jan 26 with 2985 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I can't decide, yes the stadium is past it and most of us cannot fit in most of the seats but it has a certain charm especially when it's banging.

I can also walk to it.

Getting stuck on the Central or Picaddilly after a shit game would make me rather grumpy.
Mind you I only go to a few a season now so maybe I wont mind.

Dunno.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Loftus Road. on 11:18 - Jan 26 with 2977 viewsTK1

Loftus Road. on 10:38 - Jan 26 by BostonR

The point is that even in the PL we could not completely sell out LR given the appalling seating layout. Let's say we get to the PL next season I assume there is a huge layout to get the ground PL ready?
LR is well past its sell-buy date and is draining resources. We are hampered by the geographical position of the ground which cannot expand beyond the current footprint.
It is time for the club to take a different approach and think big on the stadium.

I don't understand what "thinking big on the stadium" means if it entails moving 13 miles away.
It's a new club. QPR to me and all my season-ticket holding friends means Loftus Road, W12. It doesn't mean the shirt, the players, the board, the manager or (given how many times I cringe home and away) even the fans. It's a place and the identity that comes with that.
It's not like building a new Tesco superstore or something. It's not a brand, it's history. So, yeah, if LCS comes off or if they hadn't ballsed up the Car Giant/HS2 sites, then maybe a walking distance new ground would be a positive new extension to that memory. Uxbridge/Denham/Heathrow...no, thanks. A new club, and God knows London doesn't need another one of those. QPR will lose a chunk of season ticket holders if that happens, so it would massive punt on a hunch.
I'd rather have changed the name to Fulham Park Rangers in 1987 than move ten miles away to a multi-use bowl forty years later.
Loftus Road. on 11:47 - Jan 26 with 2901 viewsfrancisbowles

Essox, as to the question in your original post.......you should have done one of those pie chart surveys.
Loftus Road. on 11:49 - Jan 26 with 2886 viewsfrancisbowles

Loftus Road. on 11:18 - Jan 26 by TK1

I don't understand what "thinking big on the stadium" means if it entails moving 13 miles away.
It's a new club. QPR to me and all my season-ticket holding friends means Loftus Road, W12. It doesn't mean the shirt, the players, the board, the manager or (given how many times I cringe home and away) even the fans. It's a place and the identity that comes with that.
It's not like building a new Tesco superstore or something. It's not a brand, it's history. So, yeah, if LCS comes off or if they hadn't ballsed up the Car Giant/HS2 sites, then maybe a walking distance new ground would be a positive new extension to that memory. Uxbridge/Denham/Heathrow...no, thanks. A new club, and God knows London doesn't need another one of those. QPR will lose a chunk of season ticket holders if that happens, so it would massive punt on a hunch.
I'd rather have changed the name to Fulham Park Rangers in 1987 than move ten miles away to a multi-use bowl forty years later.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of season ticket holders drive to the Bush and how many travel by public transport or walk.

Similarly for the total attendance, broken down by how many matches they attend in a season over the last, say, three years.
Loftus Road. on 11:54 - Jan 26 with 2871 viewsBostonR

Loftus Road. on 11:18 - Jan 26 by TK1

I acknowledge your commitment and passion to what LR means to the fans. God knows, I have been watching since the early 70's and the club has been a huge part of my life.
As I understand it the running/maintenance costs at LR are huge and that is just wasted cash. When I say big, I do not mean a 40,000 seater, I mean big in ideas and innovation. Surely, a ground where the seating is comfortable, views unobstructed, a great matchday experience can be served and where we could increase capacity and lure new fans is surely the way to go. LR can never deliver that.
Loftus Road. on 12:05 - Jan 26 with 2837 viewsQPR_Jim

Loftus Road. on 10:33 - Jan 26 by BostonR

Why do you assume property developers are not buying land? RE Investment opportunities are secured by a myriad of options from pension funds to wealthy individuals. Values are slightly down, but I can tell you for sure that property investment opportunities are thriving.
The option of selling and then leasing LR back, whilst the club built a new stadium has huge financial advantages for the club.
I am certain that this is one of the finance vehicles the Board must be looking at.

I didn't say that, I have no idea what property developers are doing currently, it was stated as the case in the message I was replying to.

"All the big developers are putting new schemes on hold indefinitely and won't purchase any land unless its below the going rate"

I was merely pointing out that if that was correct, it should actually make it a good time to buy a site, not a reason to believe it's less likely to happen. I thought the owners would land bank LR as I presume they would sell LR to fund the construction of the stadium, not the purchase of the land.
Loftus Road. on 12:20 - Jan 26 with 2750 viewsBostonR

Loftus Road. on 12:05 - Jan 26 by QPR_Jim

I didn't say that, I have no idea what property developers are doing currently, it was stated as the case in the message I was replying to.

"All the big developers are putting new schemes on hold indefinitely and won't purchase any land unless its below the going rate"

I was merely pointing out that if that was correct, it should actually make it a good time to buy a site, not a reason to believe it's less likely to happen. I thought the owners would land bank LR as I presume they would sell LR to fund the construction of the stadium, not the purchase of the land.

Apologies, I misunderstood. Your point is correct. I would expect LR to be part of the deal on securing financing a new stadium.
Loftus Road. on 14:01 - Jan 26 with 2617 viewsNewBee

I must say that as a Bees fan, and a stadium nerd generally, I find this debate fascinating. (I also used to go to watch QPR fairly often in the 80s, when I lived in W14 and my good mate was a ST Holder).

Two things stand out from that experience. First, QPR can no longer operate from LR as it currently stands. And since it simply cannot be rebuilt, that means you HAVE to move. Of course I can well understand your fans' reluctance to consider that - I was as attached to Griffin Park as anyone. But even the most long-standing, nostalgic Bees fan would now admit that the GTech is better in just about every respect than GP, and by some way.

Second, wherever you move, it has to be as local to W12 as possible. Reading eg BostonR's posts, while he talks a great deal of sense about development and financing etc, I cannot agree that somewhere like Denham could ever be a goer (Heathrow direction, too, for that matter).

For what eg Brentford shows, location is critical, at least as much as the stadium itself. I imagine that QPR fans are similar to Brentford fans in that few actually live in W12 (TW8 for Bees). Many fans will have moved further out from the area, or even be the children of fans who moved out, if not grandchildren. For such fans, coming back to The Bush/Brentford is as much abourt identity, history and reconnecting etc, as it is about the actual match.

Which is why fans will make the journey into town eg along the A40/M40, the Met or Piccadilly, or get a train from Berks/Herts etc, but won't be nearly so keen to travel out, even if it is exactly the same journey in reverse.

Look eg at Wycombe, Oxford or Reading, are their fans happy with their new stadia, even though in material terms, they are "better" than Loakes/Manor/Elm Park etc? By contrast, Bees fans are universally happy with the Gtech, not least because many fans can still travel/meet/drink etc in the very same places for games at the new place as they did at GP.

Which is why imo any new stadium HAS to be as close as possible to the old, be that the LCS/Acton/Park Royal/Brent /Ealing etc.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 14:11]
Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road. on 15:02 - Jan 26 with 2534 viewsBostonR

Loftus Road. on 14:01 - Jan 26 by NewBee

I must say that as a Bees fan, and a stadium nerd generally, I find this debate fascinating. (I also used to go to watch QPR fairly often in the 80s, when I lived in W14 and my good mate was a ST Holder).

Two things stand out from that experience. First, QPR can no longer operate from LR as it currently stands. And since it simply cannot be rebuilt, that means you HAVE to move. Of course I can well understand your fans' reluctance to consider that - I was as attached to Griffin Park as anyone. But even the most long-standing, nostalgic Bees fan would now admit that the GTech is better in just about every respect than GP, and by some way.

Second, wherever you move, it has to be as local to W12 as possible. Reading eg BostonR's posts, while he talks a great deal of sense about development and financing etc, I cannot agree that somewhere like Denham could ever be a goer (Heathrow direction, too, for that matter).

For what eg Brentford shows, location is critical, at least as much as the stadium itself. I imagine that QPR fans are similar to Brentford fans in that few actually live in W12 (TW8 for Bees). Many fans will have moved further out from the area, or even be the children of fans who moved out, if not grandchildren. For such fans, coming back to The Bush/Brentford is as much abourt identity, history and reconnecting etc, as it is about the actual match.

Which is why fans will make the journey into town eg along the A40/M40, the Met or Piccadilly, or get a train from Berks/Herts etc, but won't be nearly so keen to travel out, even if it is exactly the same journey in reverse.

Look eg at Wycombe, Oxford or Reading, are their fans happy with their new stadia, even though in material terms, they are "better" than Loakes/Manor/Elm Park etc? By contrast, Bees fans are universally happy with the Gtech, not least because many fans can still travel/meet/drink etc in the very same places for games at the new place as they did at GP.

Which is why imo any new stadium HAS to be as close as possible to the old, be that the LCS/Acton/Park Royal/Brent /Ealing etc.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 14:11]

I was not advocating Denham. My point is that the search should be up to that point along the A40. Of course LCS makes complete sense, but if that takes years to even get to a negotiating point that will not work.
Like GP, LR is showing its age and it makes little sense to throw maintenance money to patch it up.
Loftus Road. on 15:44 - Jan 26 with 2484 viewsdoogi10

could share with fulham
Loftus Road. on 16:58 - Jan 26 with 2398 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Loftus Road. on 23:27 - Jan 25 by Juzzie

You make it sound so easy Benny. “There’s a site…. go there. Why cant the owners just buy the old White City site, why can’t the owners just buy north of westfield” and so on.
Spotting a site is easy, we can all do that, acquiring it is another whole matter.

I’m not making excuses at all for for the owners however much you may feel that.

And no, i’m not making rumours or conjectures thanks. Here’s a link from 2002 that shows Fulham made an unsuccessful bid in Wood Lane. I remember talk at the time and the Dairy Crest site was very much mentioned.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/6314954.will-fulham-move-away-club-looks-at-a

[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 23:31]

Your link from that bastion of news, News Shopper, dates back to 2002 and simply states that Fulham were considering a site at Wood Lane as a fall-back option. It doesn't specify the Dairy Crest site which actually sold in 2013, a full 11 years after your article. Even if there's any truth to Fulham showing an interest in the site then that only embarrasses QPR further because, despite our greater need and the fact that the site is on our doorstep, we showed no interest whatsoever.

The basic point, whether we like it or not, is that there have been numerous sites for sale in and around Loftus Road and QPR haven't even put a bid forward. Sure, there's no guarantee that your bid will be successful but QPR have never even entered the conversation, be it Westfields, BBC Media Village, Dairy Crest site, or Disneyland. The likelihood of QPR ever relocating in the local area dwindles with each opportunity passed.

Now, you challenged me to name sites; I did so with aplomb, so let's move on. I'll ask again, what's your views on the possibility of partnering the Old Oak West development? Would you be happy for the club to relocate to Park Royal, Old Oak Common, North Acton or Willesden Junction? If so, should the club be speaking with the London Assembly to determine whether it can bake a stadium into its plans? Or is the reality that the board aren't interested in these options because they want a cheap lunch?
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 17:16]
Loftus Road. on 17:23 - Jan 26 with 2347 viewsBakes

As a former resident of Ruislip I always wanted QPR to move in this direction if they had to move, The Master Brewer hotel site in Hillingdon has been empty since 1997, Hillingdon Borough FC has a huge amount of land which isn’t used but no tube station close by and being close to a crematorium would make this impossible, but as I’ve got older and moved out to Buckinghamshire I love my trips into W12, it just feels right, sadly I can see moving out of central London the only option.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 17:29]

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Loftus Road. on 18:27 - Jan 26 with 2229 viewsJuzzie

Loftus Road. on 16:58 - Jan 26 by Benny_the_Ball

Your link from that bastion of news, News Shopper, dates back to 2002 and simply states that Fulham were considering a site at Wood Lane as a fall-back option. It doesn't specify the Dairy Crest site which actually sold in 2013, a full 11 years after your article. Even if there's any truth to Fulham showing an interest in the site then that only embarrasses QPR further because, despite our greater need and the fact that the site is on our doorstep, we showed no interest whatsoever.

The basic point, whether we like it or not, is that there have been numerous sites for sale in and around Loftus Road and QPR haven't even put a bid forward. Sure, there's no guarantee that your bid will be successful but QPR have never even entered the conversation, be it Westfields, BBC Media Village, Dairy Crest site, or Disneyland. The likelihood of QPR ever relocating in the local area dwindles with each opportunity passed.

Now, you challenged me to name sites; I did so with aplomb, so let's move on. I'll ask again, what's your views on the possibility of partnering the Old Oak West development? Would you be happy for the club to relocate to Park Royal, Old Oak Common, North Acton or Willesden Junction? If so, should the club be speaking with the London Assembly to determine whether it can bake a stadium into its plans? Or is the reality that the board aren't interested in these options because they want a cheap lunch?

Hi Benny, you accused me of conjecture yet I provided a link that showed Fulham applied for and were rejected land at Wood Lane. Sure, Diary Crest wasn't mentioned in that particular report but like I said, I very much remember at the time there was a lot of talk about this and Dairy Crest was very much in the frame.

Even if they never ended up building stadium there (maybe training/community facilities) by them acquiring the land meant we could not have.

Maybe QPR applied to and were rejected also?
You talk to me about assumptions but do the same yourself. You have assumed multiple times that QPR have not looked at the Dairy Crest site, or the BBC site on the old White City stadium or the land between John Lewis and the A40. All I am asking is do you know for a fact that QPR never looked into these? I'm not defending the club but how do you know?

It takes years for planning permissions on a scale such as the Dairy Crest site to get finally granted. My neighbour is having his semi-detached extended and that's taken three years so far and it's still not completed so 6 years (2013-2019) for something the size of the Dairy Crest doesn't seem long to me from purchase to final permissions being granted.

Personally I'm happy with either Old Oak or LCS. That's up to the Club to go about it in the appropriate way. Whether they are or not can be asked at the next fans forum and I wouldn't be surprised (and I hope it does) that the subject of the stadium is brought up.

Anyways, let's leave it there shall we? I'm not we're not going to agree fully and I'm sure it's boring for everyone else!
Loftus Road. on 08:20 - Jan 27 with 1984 viewsEsox_Lucius

Loftus Road. on 11:47 - Jan 26 by francisbowles

Essox, as to the question in your original post.......you should have done one of those pie chart surveys.

After 8 pages, so far, it is apparent that a lot of posters no longer go and one who does go but doesn't like QPR.
Perhaps the question should be asked of those people who attend 20+ home games a season as they are the ones most affected by the seating/ travel/ parking issues?

The grass is always greener.

Loftus Road. on 08:52 - Jan 27 with 1941 viewsR_from_afar

Loftus Road. on 16:58 - Jan 26 by Benny_the_Ball

It is possible to disagree politely and respectfully. He’s an Rs fan like you and just wants the best for the club, there’s no need to lay into him.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Loftus Road. on 09:57 - Jan 27 with 1826 viewsNorthantsHoop

Loftus Road. on 08:52 - Jan 27 by R_from_afar

It is possible to disagree politely and respectfully. He’s an Rs fan like you and just wants the best for the club, there’s no need to lay into him.

With the possibilty that HS2 is going to Old Oak Common terminal rather than Euston be the final terminal station, could this prove an opportunity to find some land in that area?
Loftus Road. on 10:03 - Jan 27 with 1788 viewswombat

Loftus Road. on 12:05 - Jan 26 by QPR_Jim

issue is theres is nothing even close to being suitable left in the area, hs2 have bought the rest of the local land in park royal , the bush is sold out not , far as i can see unless something is being kept under wraps in the local area for redevelopment our goose is cooked in W12 and pretty much most of the local area .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Loftus Road. on 10:14 - Jan 27 with 1742 viewswombat

Loftus Road. on 18:27 - Jan 26 by Juzzie

Hi Benny, you accused me of conjecture yet I provided a link that showed Fulham applied for and were rejected land at Wood Lane. Sure, Diary Crest wasn't mentioned in that particular report but like I said, I very much remember at the time there was a lot of talk about this and Dairy Crest was very much in the frame.

Even if they never ended up building stadium there (maybe training/community facilities) by them acquiring the land meant we could not have.

Maybe QPR applied to and were rejected also?
You talk to me about assumptions but do the same yourself. You have assumed multiple times that QPR have not looked at the Dairy Crest site, or the BBC site on the old White City stadium or the land between John Lewis and the A40. All I am asking is do you know for a fact that QPR never looked into these? I'm not defending the club but how do you know?

It takes years for planning permissions on a scale such as the Dairy Crest site to get finally granted. My neighbour is having his semi-detached extended and that's taken three years so far and it's still not completed so 6 years (2013-2019) for something the size of the Dairy Crest doesn't seem long to me from purchase to final permissions being granted.

Personally I'm happy with either Old Oak or LCS. That's up to the Club to go about it in the appropriate way. Whether they are or not can be asked at the next fans forum and I wouldn't be surprised (and I hope it does) that the subject of the stadium is brought up.

Anyways, let's leave it there shall we? I'm not we're not going to agree fully and I'm sure it's boring for everyone else!

hu juzz ive asked lee hoos abut dairy crest and he said we didnt look at it .

it was the last of the 3 plots of oand to be sold and the cheapest from memory , wel it was four plots if you include the site by the fly over which imperial college bought and it buidling more flats for students there at present , , would have been a tight fit as well on that piece of land. dairy crest was the perfect solution to the stadum issue , was the piece of land which took longest to sell so wanst deemed high value but devlopers for a long time ,

it would how ever been the easiest with no residents to contend with , no families of newts on site , nore bats , just a small demo job and a lovely piece of perefctly placed land for a 30k stadium in central london with th best transport links anyone could have asked for . the site was for sale for years and sold for just over 100 millin which in the scheme of land prices in london is peanuts esp for a board which the dreams ours once had.

a purcahse of the land was viable and prob half could have been sold for either flats or a hotel etc which is needed in the local area as the only major hotel i think is still the hilton at the top of the green.

Loftus Road. on 10:16 - Jan 27 with 1736 viewswombat

Loftus Road. on 09:57 - Jan 27 by NorthantsHoop

With the possibilty that HS2 is going to Old Oak Common terminal rather than Euston be the final terminal station, could this prove an opportunity to find some land in that area?

be supprised if that happens as the major packages for london have been set up and start working any time soon

Loftus Road. on 11:06 - Jan 27 with 1667 viewsQPR_Jim

Loftus Road. on 10:03 - Jan 27 by wombat

issue is theres is nothing even close to being suitable left in the area, hs2 have bought the rest of the local land in park royal , the bush is sold out not , far as i can see unless something is being kept under wraps in the local area for redevelopment our goose is cooked in W12 and pretty much most of the local area .

True, I'm not saying there's a lot of options. Don't seem to be getting support from LBHF on Linford Christie and there's so many stakeholders to please.

Imperial College obviously taking up huge chunks of land in the area, perhaps they have a site like Heston they no longer need or would be happy to exchange for LR as they build their presence in Shepherds Bush. It seems unlikely but they are at least they seem happy to work with the club.

The other option that I think could work is Twyford Avenue, Acton isn't Shepherds Bush admittedly but it's got good connections and plenty of pubs nearby. Wouldn't be the out of town industrial estate experience. Maybe Ealing Council would be willing to work with us to get us in W3 if we left part of the site for Wasps and provided public access to facilities.

Car giant site is now outside the Old Oak Common development area, so would they be open to another approach? Probably not tbh with the way things were left but now the prospect of housing has gone they may be open to something, who knows. it looks like a run-down set of buildings they may be able to have a more efficient set-up on a new site somewhere else. It's closer and right on the doorstep of Old Oak Common but NW10 and feels like it would be out in an industrial area.
Loftus Road. on 11:12 - Jan 27 with 1638 viewswombat

Loftus Road. on 11:06 - Jan 27 by QPR_Jim

True, I'm not saying there's a lot of options. Don't seem to be getting support from LBHF on Linford Christie and there's so many stakeholders to please.

Imperial College obviously taking up huge chunks of land in the area, perhaps they have a site like Heston they no longer need or would be happy to exchange for LR as they build their presence in Shepherds Bush. It seems unlikely but they are at least they seem happy to work with the club.

The other option that I think could work is Twyford Avenue, Acton isn't Shepherds Bush admittedly but it's got good connections and plenty of pubs nearby. Wouldn't be the out of town industrial estate experience. Maybe Ealing Council would be willing to work with us to get us in W3 if we left part of the site for Wasps and provided public access to facilities.

Car giant site is now outside the Old Oak Common development area, so would they be open to another approach? Probably not tbh with the way things were left but now the prospect of housing has gone they may be open to something, who knows. it looks like a run-down set of buildings they may be able to have a more efficient set-up on a new site somewhere else. It's closer and right on the doorstep of Old Oak Common but NW10 and feels like it would be out in an industrial area.

imperial colleg are buying as much land as possible these days , so cant see them having much or even wanting to help us out, issue with tywford would locals not wanting a stadium on the re door steps prob same as most inner city developments , we had enough issue with the training ground , you can imagine the issue with a football ground .

dont think car giant was ever a good choice for a ground , apart from it being in the boards eyes cheap , location awful for a start even with the Hub being build on its doorstep. futher away from white city , east acton not an option for fans to use as cant barely take 20 normal psaaengers at a time let along thousands of fans each week .

Loftus Road. on 11:21 - Jan 27 with 1618 viewsslmrstid

Maybe there'll end up being an option with vast swathes of track bed that may never be used!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64421566

(Extremely unlikely but interesting to see given all the money that's been poured in already...)
Loftus Road. on 11:28 - Jan 27 with 1598 viewsBklynRanger

Loftus Road. on 11:21 - Jan 27 by slmrstid

Maybe there'll end up being an option with vast swathes of track bed that may never be used!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64421566

(Extremely unlikely but interesting to see given all the money that's been poured in already...)

What a debacle.

(I see the luxury flats in the foreground of that pic put up a large, sculpted screen to block the view of the flats opposite but ended up in the middle of a massive building site anyway - funny how life goes. )
Loftus Road. on 11:57 - Jan 27 with 1525 viewswombat

Loftus Road. on 11:28 - Jan 27 by BklynRanger

What a debacle.

(I see the luxury flats in the foreground of that pic put up a large, sculpted screen to block the view of the flats opposite but ended up in the middle of a massive building site anyway - funny how life goes. )

living in harefield pretty much a mil away from the main bore for the tunnell i can see it every day , biggest waste of money this country has ever had, i also supply workeds to the jobs and they are struggling big time for the rates in place which are already higher than most over jobs , even central london so add on a few billion to the overall costs to this monumental shit show

Loftus Road. on 12:28 - Jan 27 with 1460 viewsJuzzie

Interesting and disappointing about Dairy Crest as yes, it would have been ideal.

Wombat, do you know if QPR entered into discussion/submitted bids about other sites such as the land between John Lewis & the A40, maybe a tie-in with Westfield and the BBC White City site?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024