Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
would relegation be so bad? 12:49 - Feb 3 with 5001 viewsstantheman10

I know this post is going to attract a lot of abuse but I seriously don't think relegation would be such a bad thing.
Firstly we could sort the wheat from the chaff of the players under contract and more opportunities for our youngsters and they should be strong enough to keep us competitive and winning more often. Any new players we sign would be on League 1 wages which has it's obvious positive. financially.
We all know winning, in any division, lifts morale and improves mood which would hopefully lead to improved home support. You only have to look at the gates that Ipswich are getting (almost double their Championship gates).
There would be a lot more away clubs that are closer to us so less travelling.
it would give the club more time to regroup financially and also give the training facilities time to produce new talent without the pressure of trying to reach the 'promised land(?)'. I for one would find it a lot more exciting than playing the same old clubs and finishing circa 16th every season!
would relegation be so bad? on 12:57 - Feb 3 with 3866 viewsRangersw12

It would be a disaster

If we went down and went straight back up it wouldn't' matter but i just cant see it happening look at how clubs like Sunderland and Ipswich struggled to get out of the league

I also don't see there is an equivalent character like Olly around to galvanise the club and it would be the end of us IMO
would relegation be so bad? on 13:04 - Feb 3 with 3834 viewsLowerloftLad

I remember reading similar things on the Ipswich bored a few years ago. There fans are now desperate to be sitting 16th in the championship again.

If we was to be guaranteed instant promotion and winning the papa John's trophy I'd take one year in league one. Otherwise we need to stay up at all costs.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 13:09]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

would relegation be so bad? on 13:06 - Feb 3 with 3816 viewsGloucs_R

If we go down, we don't come up for a decade imo.

Poll: Are we staying up?

would relegation be so bad? on 13:20 - Feb 3 with 3722 viewsNortholt_Rs

It would be a catastrophe of epic proportions. It’s simply unthinkable.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

would relegation be so bad? on 13:21 - Feb 3 with 3718 viewsloftus77

Yes.

I take the OP's point and it's a fair question to pose, especially if we can all agree (?) that the period 2001-2004 was an exciting, galvanising, time for the club under Ollie.

But times have changed with the absurd redistribution of TV money between the leagues producing a yo-yo affect between Champ/L1 that is almost as big as Champ/Prem Lge (Wigan/Rotherham/Barnsley etc).

Put simply, in our parlous financial state, we need to stay 'the right side of the line' for as long as we can.

There is also the argument about rivals - with certain teams in our area of London/SE all in, or very near to, the Premier League, a demotion to League One would entrench us as a feeder club even more than we are now (the destination of the Eze transfer still hurts despite the financial boost we received).

And if our owners are getting cold feet at mid-table (...) Champ level, what would happen when Cheltenham, Forest Green and Morecambe start rocking up? We need, at very least, to stay where we are.
would relegation be so bad? on 13:31 - Feb 3 with 3667 viewsRangersDave

You only have to have been at League 1 Fleetwood Town to get a good indication of how this squad / team would have performed.

I cant and wont imagine qpr losing more frequently than drawing (note i dont use the 'winning' word here), each week.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

would relegation be so bad? on 13:42 - Feb 3 with 3619 viewsQPunkR

My favourite time as a fan was when we were in the old Division 2 with a team peppered with Rangers fans.

However, there's nothing to indicate things would be the same if it happened again and that we'd bounce back relatively quickly. As was said above, there's definitely no Ollie figurehead to galvanise the Club

QPR - "shit but local"

would relegation be so bad? on 13:45 - Feb 3 with 3601 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Positives:
Different teams to play and new grounds to visit.
Barely any games moved for Sky - 1 or 2 in the season depending on how well we are doing. So lots of Saturday at 3pm games.
Likely to be a young/potentially hungrier squad with less loans. But a risk nonetheless.

Negatives:
Financial disaster - less money from broadcasting, advertising, probably gate revenue.
Another complete overhaul - any "assets" (Chair/Willock etc.) we do have would walk/be sold for pittance.
Not guaranteed to win more games.
Very tough league to get out of, some massive clubs down there - Shef Weds/Ipswich/Derby to compete with.
Potential for a double drop (or more).
Playing against premier league B teams or U21s in another cup which we will exit early.
1st round exit from the FA Cup instead of the 3rd.
Could end up stagnating in League One instead of the championship so would be in the same situation as we are now, just lower in the football pyramid.
Login to get fewer ads

would relegation be so bad? on 13:50 - Feb 3 with 3567 viewsJames_Paddocks

Ask Charlton fans...
would relegation be so bad? on 13:55 - Feb 3 with 3545 viewsTheChef

I didn't realise we were already in danger of relegation.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

would relegation be so bad? on 14:00 - Feb 3 with 3502 viewsgazza1

Absolutely no positives at all......
would relegation be so bad? on 14:13 - Feb 3 with 3464 viewsDejR_vu

I seem to recall some people saying the same about relegation from the Premier League.

In a few years time there will be a thread about whether relegation out of the Football League, going semi-pro, would be such a bad thing.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

would relegation be so bad? on 14:44 - Feb 3 with 3369 viewspaulhoop2

If it happens then I see a repeat of 2001 unfortunately administration and no board this would be disastrous I do think your original post has some merit but for me the financial disaster would over rule anything else. Be careful what you wish for. These owners may be getting a bad rep at the mo but who else would write the 2 million plus a month needed for us to continue ?

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

would relegation be so bad? on 15:02 - Feb 3 with 3299 viewsLoyalitat

would relegation be so bad? on 14:13 - Feb 3 by DejR_vu

I seem to recall some people saying the same about relegation from the Premier League.

In a few years time there will be a thread about whether relegation out of the Football League, going semi-pro, would be such a bad thing.

This exactly. Same was said then. No upsides whatsoever, could be terminal.
Loads of teams now occupy that division with bigger capacities than ours and some of whom have been there for quite a few seasons: Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Charlton, Bolton, Portsmouth. As well as new entrants: Derby, Barnsley.
I'm sure they may have pondered the same and it hasn't worked out well for those teams, as they are fast becoming a permanent fixture in that division.
would relegation be so bad? on 15:22 - Feb 3 with 3254 viewsSimonD

Nothing wrong with asking the question.

Our solidarity payment would drop from £4.5m to £675k (from the figures I last looked at last but are now potentially out of date).
TV revenue would all but disappear.
We'd have to clear the decks of all known talent.

We would swap one set of problems for another.
would relegation be so bad? on 16:43 - Feb 3 with 3070 viewsslmrstid

The football world is materially different to what it was 22 years ago when we last went down. As others have said we haven't got an Ollie type figure who can galvanize us. I think it would be disastrous for the club and I think it would take a long time to recover from, if ever.
would relegation be so bad? on 18:02 - Feb 3 with 2980 viewsterryb

would relegation be so bad? on 12:57 - Feb 3 by Rangersw12

It would be a disaster

If we went down and went straight back up it wouldn't' matter but i just cant see it happening look at how clubs like Sunderland and Ipswich struggled to get out of the league

I also don't see there is an equivalent character like Olly around to galvanise the club and it would be the end of us IMO

Yes, but Wigan Rotherham & Barnsley don't seem to have any trouble getting promoted!

This is not to say I would welcome going down & I certainly wouldn't like to be charged the same amount for a season ticket!
would relegation be so bad? on 18:27 - Feb 3 with 2930 viewspaulparker

would relegation be so bad? on 12:57 - Feb 3 by Rangersw12

It would be a disaster

Totally agree although I don’t think it would be the end of us as a club
The Fans have nothing at the moment , there’s no figure head there’s no one to rally the troops
The club made a huge mistake imo with Critchley it should of been Ainsworth , it would of got us going again , but he has silly hair, pointed shoes and plays hoofball apprantley so he won’t do

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

would relegation be so bad? on 18:41 - Feb 3 with 2914 viewsRangersw12

would relegation be so bad? on 18:27 - Feb 3 by paulparker

Totally agree although I don’t think it would be the end of us as a club
The Fans have nothing at the moment , there’s no figure head there’s no one to rally the troops
The club made a huge mistake imo with Critchley it should of been Ainsworth , it would of got us going again , but he has silly hair, pointed shoes and plays hoofball apprantley so he won’t do

I will be honest I turned my nose up at Ainsworth as I thought we needed a manager who played a similar style to the previous 2 as a bit of continuity 🤦‍♂️

He will likely get the job when it comes around again
would relegation be so bad? on 18:51 - Feb 3 with 2903 viewsJuzzie

Those three seasons twenty years ago seemed like an eternity.
Of course, going down is only good if you come straight back up and that is always the romantic notion but while I was confident we’d do it last time around i just don’t think in this climate I would be so confident.
As others have said, look at the likes of Ipswich, Charlton and Sunderland. Sunderland took ages to get promoted again, and that was via the play offs, and that was with fantastic attendance.

Cant see Ipswich or Charlton coming up anytime soon.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 18:54]
would relegation be so bad? on 19:34 - Feb 3 with 2793 viewsToast_R

My recollection of 2001/02 -absolutely depressing. Getting maulled at Peterborough and Swansea literally men against boys half the time. Doudou and Alex Bonnet.

2002/03 also depressing for the most part with a deep lull as the winter arrived, losing to VM and that horrible Northampton team that always had our number. Good upturn in form towards the end with the play off run until we fell flat on our arse at the death.

2003/04 - I was away for most of it in Australia so can't comment too much, got to see an hard watch 1-0 at home to Bournemouth before I left and the beamback for Sheff Wed's when I got back which felt like a happy ending of a great QPR depression. To end up back at League One again and doing all that again, bugger that.
would relegation be so bad? on 19:42 - Feb 3 with 2743 viewsNorthantsHoop

Relegation would be a disaster end of.
would relegation be so bad? on 20:17 - Feb 3 with 2679 viewsManinBlack

Difficult to say with us. You look at how Rotherham always bounce back and you think to yourself if they can do it so can we. I noticed Derby just won 8 or 9 on the bounce. I think we will have a better attitude in league games against first division sides than in the cup. However, we could just as easily carry on going down and be in the Conference. Plenty of teams like Oldham have gone that way.

The thing is when we went down to league 1 before I don't think we ever recovered from the shock of dropping out of the Premier league after having top flight football for about 14 years. It is a bit different this time as we have cut our cloth since FFP came in and probably only see ourselves as a championship club. I don't think relegation will hit our morale as badly this time providing the owners don't abandon us as a lost cause. A bit of a re-set may not be a bad thing. Look how well Luton have done in recent years getting back from the Conference to being 4th in the Championship.
would relegation be so bad? on 21:10 - Feb 3 with 2601 viewsBushRanger82

Some fans have the club they deserve.

I quite envy them in a way.
would relegation be so bad? on 12:32 - Feb 4 with 2286 viewsstanistheman

You must be joking.

This is what many thought when QPR were in the Premiership fighting relegation (and I think Les was amongst those when advising Fernandes not to spend any money in the transfer window). And we can all see how well that has turned out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024