Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Three up from the National League, three down from League Two 23:14 - Feb 20 with 3587 viewsmeeee

Looking like it could be a possibility but the EFL clubs would need to vote in favour for it to happen.
https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport/football/efl-chief-makes-encouraging-com
Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 23:17 - Feb 20 with 3571 viewsBrierls

It would like Turkeys voting for Christmas. It’s not going to happen.
Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 23:50 - Feb 20 with 3508 views49thseason

Championship 3 votes
L1 2 votes
L2 1 vote
EFL committee 4 votes

It will happen
Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 00:48 - Feb 21 with 3478 viewsD_Alien

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 23:50 - Feb 20 by 49thseason

Championship 3 votes
L1 2 votes
L2 1 vote
EFL committee 4 votes

It will happen

You could well be right, and if so, i'm not sure it'd be such a bad thing

There's a wafer-thin difference between what's now known as the National League and what's become, in effect, League Division Five (in old money)

In some ways, it could help with the stigma that's felt about no longer being a club "in the football league". if the "football league" means those clubs under the failed jurisdiction of the EFL (governing body)

I'm not sure anyone should feel proud of an association with that bunch of time-serving, incompetent hypocrites

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 09:10 - Feb 21 with 3285 viewsmikehunt

I’d have made it 4 up and down between L2 and Conference and 3 up and down between L1 and L2.
That would make the drop out of the EFL more bareable as it gives teams a better chance to return but, also, gives the up and coming teams a better chance to become league sides.
Simple thing like that, costs no money, and makes things far more equitable.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 09:24 - Feb 21 with 3259 viewsDaleFan7

I don't think it'll be long (in football terms) until the NL is made into the 5th league division. The standard isn't really that different between the top of that division and the bottom of ours. There's certainly bigger gaps between the PL and Championship and Championship and L1.
Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 09:24 - Feb 21 with 3258 viewsNorthernDale

I think the way forward is a step back to a Division two North and a Division Two South by merging the conference and league two. It would create more local derbies and cut costs in terms of travel and overnight stops.

With the Conference North and Conference South acting as feed leagues.
Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 10:12 - Feb 21 with 3129 viewsTVOS1907

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 09:24 - Feb 21 by NorthernDale

I think the way forward is a step back to a Division two North and a Division Two South by merging the conference and league two. It would create more local derbies and cut costs in terms of travel and overnight stops.

How many promotion places would you have between the regional divisions and the Championship?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 11:23 - Feb 21 with 2996 viewsAtThePeake

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 09:24 - Feb 21 by NorthernDale

Probably best for all teams financially but I'd really miss those long away trips and feel like a lot of clubs would get stuck quite easily in being too well resourced to realistically drop out of that division but not well resourced enough to compete at the top end of it.

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 11:51 - Feb 21 with 2944 viewspioneer

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 10:12 - Feb 21 by TVOS1907

How many promotion places would you have between the regional divisions and the Championship?

I think ND is suggesting combining league 2 with conference to form league 2 north and south. So still four down from league 1 with two up from each of the regional leagues
Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 11:55 - Feb 21 with 2924 viewsTVOS1907

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 11:51 - Feb 21 by pioneer

I think ND is suggesting combining league 2 with conference to form league 2 north and south. So still four down from league 1 with two up from each of the regional leagues

The same point still applies, though.

With only two promotion places available, there would be a lot of dead rubbers in the second half of the season.

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 13:09 - Feb 21 with 2777 viewsD_Alien

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 11:55 - Feb 21 by TVOS1907

The same point still applies, though.

With only two promotion places available, there would be a lot of dead rubbers in the second half of the season.

Make it auto promotion for the champions of each league respectively, plus 4 playoff places, so 5 places to fight for

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 15:28 - Feb 21 with 2565 viewsTVOS1907

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 13:09 - Feb 21 by D_Alien

Make it auto promotion for the champions of each league respectively, plus 4 playoff places, so 5 places to fight for

But that would mean 5 relegation places from the division above, which is where the sticking point might come.

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 15:37 - Feb 21 with 2544 viewsD_Alien

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 15:28 - Feb 21 by TVOS1907

But that would mean 5 relegation places from the division above, which is where the sticking point might come.

2 relegation places: the champions auto spot and the playoff winner

Edit: the "5 places to fight for" referred to your point about the number of dead rubber games

5 places is only 1 less than for L1, the Championship & the National League
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 15:41]

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 15:47 - Feb 21 with 2516 viewsTVOS1907

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 15:37 - Feb 21 by D_Alien

2 relegation places: the champions auto spot and the playoff winner

Edit: the "5 places to fight for" referred to your point about the number of dead rubber games

5 places is only 1 less than for L1, the Championship & the National League
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 15:41]

I'm confused.

If we have 2 divisions (one north & one south), as per Northern's suggestion, feeding into the next division up, the total number of promoted teams from N&S must equal the number of relegated teams from that next division up.

If only the champions and a play-off winner from each of N&S were promoted (so 4 teams in total, replaced by 4 relegated teams from the next league up), then there would be more dead rubber games in N&S as there is one less promotion place compared to what we have now in L1 and two less promotion places than what we have now in L2.

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 15:52 - Feb 21 with 2501 viewsNorthernDale

At present the conference North and South both use the same system

The champions are promoted automatically

Then there is a playoff system
A) fourth place v seventh place
B) five place v sixth place

the winners they play
second place v winners of A
third place v winners of B

Then play off final with the highest place team in the play offs being at home.
Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 16:00 - Feb 21 with 2477 viewsD_Alien

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 15:47 - Feb 21 by TVOS1907

I'm confused.

If we have 2 divisions (one north & one south), as per Northern's suggestion, feeding into the next division up, the total number of promoted teams from N&S must equal the number of relegated teams from that next division up.

If only the champions and a play-off winner from each of N&S were promoted (so 4 teams in total, replaced by 4 relegated teams from the next league up), then there would be more dead rubber games in N&S as there is one less promotion place compared to what we have now in L1 and two less promotion places than what we have now in L2.

Not necessarily, since the number of teams competing for the 5 potential places (1 auto, 1 out of 4 via playoffs) could be anything from the top 5 from March or the top 12 right up until the last game or so, depending on how many teams are bunched up within reach of those 5 places

Your point about the increasing number of *potential* dead rubber games would in any case i'd say, be a price worth paying for a change in the divisional structures

Oh, what we'd give for some dead rubber games right now!
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 16:01]

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 16:00 - Feb 21 with 2471 viewsTVOS1907

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 16:00 - Feb 21 by D_Alien

Not necessarily, since the number of teams competing for the 5 potential places (1 auto, 1 out of 4 via playoffs) could be anything from the top 5 from March or the top 12 right up until the last game or so, depending on how many teams are bunched up within reach of those 5 places

Your point about the increasing number of *potential* dead rubber games would in any case i'd say, be a price worth paying for a change in the divisional structures

Oh, what we'd give for some dead rubber games right now!
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 16:01]

Quite!

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 16:10 - Feb 21 with 2448 viewsD_Alien

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 16:00 - Feb 21 by TVOS1907

Quite!

Thus, for things to change (if one agrees they should do), something has to give; or, we could just continue with the current situation. The point 49th made about the voting rights for league clubs to effect change means it'd be out of our hands whether we're in L2 or the NL

I didn't notice a huge outcry about dead rubber games in the decades prior to the introduction of increasing numbers of promotion/relegation spots. Sometimes, towards the end of a hard-fought campaign, people might just want to turn up to enjoy a game a football

Dead rubbers = withdrawal from the fray!

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 17:31 - Feb 21 with 2285 viewsEllDale

A couple of months ago I would have been dead against this proposal.
Surprise, surprise I’m now all for it….
Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 17:59 - Feb 21 with 2240 viewspioneer

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 17:31 - Feb 21 by EllDale

A couple of months ago I would have been dead against this proposal.
Surprise, surprise I’m now all for it….

its like moving the deck chairs on the Titanic if the financial structure of the game is not dealt with first.
Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 20:21 - Feb 21 with 2107 viewswatford_dale

Three up from the National League, three down from League Two on 17:59 - Feb 21 by pioneer

its like moving the deck chairs on the Titanic if the financial structure of the game is not dealt with first.

Massively agree,

Clubs have not recovered financially from the pandemic, plus the proposed changes to revenue sharing with the premier league and with HMRC coming for the tax owed means the financial outlook for a fair few will be bleak.

3 up from the NL will escalate the arms race in the NL, for the dream of league football.

On the flip side it will increase the jeopardy in division 2, with teams no longer being able to bank on the two basket cases in the division (scunny and oldham last year) booking first class tickets on the relegation express.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024