Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next Manager 17:58 - Feb 21 with 15292 viewsburnsieespana

Thoughts?
Lots of decent guys about
How about:
Harrop from Braintree
Cowley Bros.
Nathan Jones
Kevin Maher @ SUFC
Next Manager on 09:32 - Nov 14 with 1404 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Taylor got the push from Rotherham yesterday. Think he'd be great for us personally.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Next Manager on 13:56 - Nov 14 with 1334 viewsdurham_exile

Next Manager on 09:32 - Nov 14 by RSCOSWORTH

Taylor got the push from Rotherham yesterday. Think he'd be great for us personally.

I wrote a few days ago that if we keep winning then ME should be given the job before Christmas.

This weekend we travel to Stockport. Our most difficult game of the season without any doubt.

If ME secures a victory at Edgeley Park he should be given the job on the Coach back to Colchester on Saturday evening.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Next Manager on 14:15 - Nov 14 with 1331 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Next Manager on 13:56 - Nov 14 by durham_exile

I wrote a few days ago that if we keep winning then ME should be given the job before Christmas.

This weekend we travel to Stockport. Our most difficult game of the season without any doubt.

If ME secures a victory at Edgeley Park he should be given the job on the Coach back to Colchester on Saturday evening.

Up the U's

I'm not sure a manager should be given a role, or indeed lose a role, on the back of a single result. Etherington is still extremely inexperienced at this level and whilst we have had some positive results since he's taken over the consensus has been that the performances have not been any better apart from maybe a bit more effort and heart from the players and that's down to the players themselves. If we keep getting results then he can stay in the interim role for as long as it takes for the board to be convinced that he's the best candidate to take this club forward. Didn't Wayne Brown do pretty much half a season as interim manager a couple of seasons ago?

Next Manager on 17:40 - Nov 14 with 1286 viewswessex_exile

Next Manager on 14:15 - Nov 14 by RSCOSWORTH

I'm not sure a manager should be given a role, or indeed lose a role, on the back of a single result. Etherington is still extremely inexperienced at this level and whilst we have had some positive results since he's taken over the consensus has been that the performances have not been any better apart from maybe a bit more effort and heart from the players and that's down to the players themselves. If we keep getting results then he can stay in the interim role for as long as it takes for the board to be convinced that he's the best candidate to take this club forward. Didn't Wayne Brown do pretty much half a season as interim manager a couple of seasons ago?

Yeah, Wayne spent 4 months as an interim Head Coach before getting the appointment in May 22, and was sacked by September of the same year. I get the point, but I don't think we can place the acknowledgement on more effort and heart solely with the players. For whatever reason Ben Garner wasn't getting it, but Matty Etherington is - he ought to at least get some credit for that.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Next Manager on 18:45 - Nov 14 with 1272 viewsthrillseeker

Next Manager on 13:56 - Nov 14 by durham_exile

Up the U's

If we beat Stockport I still DON'T want ME to be given the job.

I just don't feel he is good enough.

I am though 100% sure ME will get job and I will just have to put up with his appointment and support him and the team

We are UNITED
Next Manager on 10:33 - Jan 2 with 944 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Here we go again!

We might as well pin this thread so that it stays at the top.

I'm now at the point where I'm not sure a new manager/head coach will make much difference. The club needs to change from top to bottom. The current plan/blueprint isn't working and has failed consistently. A new approach is needed and quickly.

Next Manager on 11:29 - Jan 2 with 901 viewsbwildered

Yep, stuck on a loop or ground hog day.
Such irony that the Chairmans recruitment company, Jobserve has failed to find an adequate replacement, more that once.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Next Manager on 11:30 - Jan 2 with 901 viewswessex_exile

Next Manager on 10:33 - Jan 2 by RSCOSWORTH

Here we go again!

We might as well pin this thread so that it stays at the top.

I'm now at the point where I'm not sure a new manager/head coach will make much difference. The club needs to change from top to bottom. The current plan/blueprint isn't working and has failed consistently. A new approach is needed and quickly.

Current odds, for what it's worth...

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/colchester-united

Most of the usual suspects who appear whenever a vacancy becomes available, but interesting that former U's keeper Andy Woodman is at 20-1. He'd be worth a punt given what he's achieving at Bromley, but doubt he'd be interested in giving up a promotion challenge in the National League for a League 2 relegation dogfight?

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Next Manager on 11:35 - Jan 2 with 894 viewsbwildered

Most in the frame are still available from last time .
Reckon it’s back to Wayne’s World !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Next Manager on 11:36 - Jan 2 with 892 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Next Manager on 11:30 - Jan 2 by wessex_exile

Current odds, for what it's worth...

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/colchester-united

Most of the usual suspects who appear whenever a vacancy becomes available, but interesting that former U's keeper Andy Woodman is at 20-1. He'd be worth a punt given what he's achieving at Bromley, but doubt he'd be interested in giving up a promotion challenge in the National League for a League 2 relegation dogfight?

I've said for a while that getting a proven manager from the National League would be my preferred option but not sure how they'd get on with the current setup at the club and our prima donna League Two players.

Next Manager on 13:22 - Jan 2 with 845 viewsnoah4x4

Ross Embleton 6/1.

Ross Embleton’s Wikipedia profile is (today) showing “2023, Caretaker Manager , Colchester United”, albeit it has NOT been updated for six months. Was he in temporary charge before Garner? I don’t recall him being other than Head of Recruitment.

Was briefly Leyton Orient Head Coach, but inexperienced. Sounds like a typical Cowling option….
Next Manager on 13:45 - Jan 2 with 832 viewsburnsieespana

Very interesting periwnced but how about Paul Konchesky?
Next Manager on 13:48 - Jan 2 with 831 viewswessex_exile

Next Manager on 13:22 - Jan 2 by noah4x4

Ross Embleton 6/1.

Ross Embleton’s Wikipedia profile is (today) showing “2023, Caretaker Manager , Colchester United”, albeit it has NOT been updated for six months. Was he in temporary charge before Garner? I don’t recall him being other than Head of Recruitment.

Was briefly Leyton Orient Head Coach, but inexperienced. Sounds like a typical Cowling option….

He was, had two games in charge, lost them both. At home to Northampton 1-0 and 2-0 at Bradford. Ben Garner was appointed for the Bradford game, but stayed in the stand as an observer before taking charge. We deserved at least a point at Bradford too.

Up the U's

Next Manager on 13:50 - Jan 2 with 829 viewswessex_exile

Next Manager on 13:45 - Jan 2 by burnsieespana

Other than West Ham Ladies (which he was sacked from), very limited managerial experience.

Up the U's

Next Manager on 13:55 - Jan 2 with 827 viewsLeadbelly

Next Manager on 13:50 - Jan 2 by wessex_exile

Other than West Ham Ladies (which he was sacked from), very limited managerial experience.

Would he view Col U men as a step down?!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Next Manager on 14:39 - Jan 2 with 809 viewswessex_exile

Next Manager on 13:55 - Jan 2 by Leadbelly

Would he view Col U men as a step down?!

Possibly, but he didn't do very well with West Ham Ladies, only won one game in all of 2023 according to Wikipedia.

Up the U's

Next Manager on 14:50 - Jan 2 with 806 viewsTheOldOakTree

Next Manager on 13:45 - Jan 2 by burnsieespana

If he'd have come straight from WHU ladies maybe, but I believe he is Col U U21 coach?

In other words he is already part of the the Cowling Management Matrix, already, I guess, brainwashed into accepting the 'system' George Orwell 1984 style and as such would be another conveyour belt appointment. Yet more management by committee.

Plus, I don't think we could stomach his gobby mother.

If we are not going to have an experienced manager who has total control, then its just going to be more of the same, over and over again.

Even has-beens like Phil Brown etc. must know to stay well clear of Col U.

Cowling is not going to sell up and he's never going to admit that his philosophy doesn't work. We all know how this is going to end.

After nearly 20 years of this shite, the chances that he is suddenly going to wake up one day and be good at running a football club are pretty minimal.

Whilst I wouldn't question the desire or financial commitment, it would appear that the club is broken from top to bottom and I don't see how that is going to be fixed.
Next Manager on 16:03 - Jan 2 with 750 viewsLeadbelly

Next Manager on 14:39 - Jan 2 by wessex_exile

Possibly, but he didn't do very well with West Ham Ladies, only won one game in all of 2023 according to Wikipedia.

With that track record he sounds he sounds right up RC's strasse...possibly over-qualified even?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Next Manager on 16:09 - Jan 2 with 743 viewsMadeira163

Wayne Rooney lol
Next Manager on 23:29 - Jan 2 with 610 viewsCrashBandicoot

Next Manager on 14:50 - Jan 2 by TheOldOakTree

If he'd have come straight from WHU ladies maybe, but I believe he is Col U U21 coach?

In other words he is already part of the the Cowling Management Matrix, already, I guess, brainwashed into accepting the 'system' George Orwell 1984 style and as such would be another conveyour belt appointment. Yet more management by committee.

Plus, I don't think we could stomach his gobby mother.

If we are not going to have an experienced manager who has total control, then its just going to be more of the same, over and over again.

Even has-beens like Phil Brown etc. must know to stay well clear of Col U.

Cowling is not going to sell up and he's never going to admit that his philosophy doesn't work. We all know how this is going to end.

After nearly 20 years of this shite, the chances that he is suddenly going to wake up one day and be good at running a football club are pretty minimal.

Whilst I wouldn't question the desire or financial commitment, it would appear that the club is broken from top to bottom and I don't see how that is going to be fixed.

Cowling could fix the club by completely changing his business model for the club. But it boils down to if he wants to. So far sadly, he doesn't.

If he refuses to change his plan and we have a bad finish at the end of the season (even if we narrowly avoid relegation) we really need to start protesting against him like Southend fans did with Ron Martin. Otherwise he will just think the fans - despite their reservations - are satisfied with the way he's running the club (which obviously we are not).

Other clubs got rid of bad owners after losing their league status - Southend, Oldham & Scunny to name but a few - so we can do the same even if we retain our league status.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Next Manager on 08:20 - Jan 3 with 565 viewsnoah4x4

Next Manager on 23:29 - Jan 2 by CrashBandicoot

Cowling could fix the club by completely changing his business model for the club. But it boils down to if he wants to. So far sadly, he doesn't.

If he refuses to change his plan and we have a bad finish at the end of the season (even if we narrowly avoid relegation) we really need to start protesting against him like Southend fans did with Ron Martin. Otherwise he will just think the fans - despite their reservations - are satisfied with the way he's running the club (which obviously we are not).

Other clubs got rid of bad owners after losing their league status - Southend, Oldham & Scunny to name but a few - so we can do the same even if we retain our league status.

Men like Cowling are ignorant of criticism. HIS business models have made him a multimillionaire. So why should he listen to skint keyboard warriors or S1 teenagers? He allegedly doesn’t read the press. He ignored previous fan protests responding “it’s my club not yours”. Fan protests in-game also upset players and make things worse. The only thing that might have impact is if fans stay away. But that is counterproductive as a fall in gate revenues must reduce the available player wage budget under Financial Fair Play, plus the majority of us remaining loyal won’t stay away even if relegated.

Our misfortune is that our one moment of true glory in an uninspiring history of 86 years spent largely in lower leagues, a brief flirtation with the Championship, occurred at Layer Road, where capacity was limited to 6,000. Until our next flirtation with success in a stadium that is patently “too big for us” and where our lack of success (read demise) is conspicuous, we will depend on a hardcore of barely 2,500 home fans, such is the lure of Ipswich and West Ham in this City where local apathy is getting merely what it deserves.

I read a tonne of criticism of Cowling, but nobody is offering any “business” solutions other than sell up or regularly change Head Coach personnel. Cowling placed all trust in Humes (now gone), Ball, Halajko and Emberton to run the club because he personally doesn’t have the time or skills himself. Most would do likewise in the modern business paradigm. His faith in his bad appointments has since cost him over £20M, and unless a Hollywood superstar mug hands him a similar sum, things won’t change. He isn’t stupid, he knows the problems, he just hasn’t found the solutions. In summary, I respect Cowling for the money he has invested, and won’t abuse him. We are wholly dependent on his appointments and hopefully, his next decision will be his best.

He has had his fingers burnt by big names like Lambert and Boothroyd, and even Bloomfield took the pi55 by using minimal success at Colchester United as a stepping stone (as did Parkinson before). No decent manager that brings success will ever stay longer than a season, such is the lure of Championship money. We taunted Stevenage, Barrow, and others “you will always be non-league” and they have responded by appointing a quality Head Coach. But I will lay a bet that had Steve Evans been appointed at the Jobserve instead of Etherington, the fans wouldn’t have given him time to turn it around. I am not saying Etherington was the right appointment (he patently wasn’t), but he had only had 46 days and no transfer window when it is obvious that currently available playing resources don’t make the grade or lie on a physiotherapists couch.

I feel that we have no option except hope that Cowling finally makes a good appointment that is strong enough to resist well meaning interference from others, that actually haven’t done a bad job at recruiting players, but appear to continue to undermine the Head Coach. Frankly, our biggest problem has been keeping our better players fit. We have been luck less in that respect. Have we ever had so many injuries to key players?

We fans must remain loyal, optimistic, positively vocal and hopefully we can navigate this mess. Accepting Cowling isn’t going anywhere and getting behind the team might be the one reason why we won’t follow Southend, Oldham, Scunthorpe, Rochdale and Hartlepool into non-league oblivion. Cowling has promptly sacked Etherington, hence has done what fans demanded, and now we need to get behind his next appointment unless a £30M investor rolls into town.
Next Manager on 09:50 - Jan 3 with 543 viewsTheOldOakTree

Next Manager on 23:29 - Jan 2 by CrashBandicoot

Excellent! I can make the placards, I’ve got an O-level in Woodwork (Wessex will remember Mr. Bateman). We just need T-shirts…….

……. before we start, can I just check that you have assurances from someone very, very rich and very, very, very stupid that they will buy the club?

In all seriousness, I understand your feelings, but what might seem like you are caring for the club, will probably remove all hope of our continued existence.

Sadly, our position is in no way comparable with the likes of Saarfend, (or other clubs). The amount required to sort out their troubles was loose change compared to us. I believe the ‘chicken-feed’ paid for the prawns also included Roots Hall?

It is no secret that our club has massive debts, and owns almost nothing, it has a small fan base and a bad geographic location.

The naïve amongst us may think that this debt is not important and it’s just a tax fiddle. The Inland Revenue are not stupid, if you own a group of companies, you cannot just move debt around willy-nilly. If one company lends another of your companies money, it has to be via a formal loan. You cannot just magic the loan away.

If you are going to be successful and ‘persuade’ Mr. C to let go of the club after he has spent eyewatering amounts of money, it looks like one of three things needs to happen (or a combination of those things).

Option 1, somebody need to take on the over £30M debt. That wouldn’t get them the stadium or the training ground, the club’s fixed assets are less than £0.5M. So, they would need, say £20M on top to turn things around and buy the training ground or build another one. After spending £50M plus they have got very little for their money with very limited potential. It is committed to an academy that has the potential to be a bottomless pit into which you need to shovel cash. There must be 50 other clubs than you could buy for that sort of money that would be a safer investment.
My experience of people with significant wealth, be it new or old money, is that they are not stupid. I am not aware of an avid fan that is both mega rich and prepared to burn his/her money. I would suggest that the chances of us finding the saviour that we may dream of are only slightly better than me becoming the next pope and I’m not catholic.

Secondly, the owner could put his hand in his pocket even further and pay off that debt before selling. Mr C is not Elon Musk, Jobserve is not Amazon or Microsoft. He cannot realistically be expected to give away what would be a significant slice of his family’s wealth.

Talk of peaceful protest is nonsense. Colchester has its share of idiots, the moron that threw a smoke fair on the pitch at Bradford this season.

…that’s Bradford City, Valley Parde, where 56 people died in an inferno and many more, still supporting the Bantams suffered physical and mental injuries and some little shite of a Col U ‘supporter’ throws a smoke flare on the pitch. You might as well piss on the Cenotaph for good measure.

That is the sort of f##kwit that you are going to encourage. It always descends from verbal abuse, into threats and physical violence.

Do you think that someone, who by his own admission was not a Col U supporter, it going to take the inevitable threats and abuse and turn around and say ‘OK I’ll just throw in £30M of my money to clear the debt, throw in the training ground for free and let someone else walk off with the club’.

That isn’t going to happen. Even a mixture of options 1 and 2 doesn’t look likely.

So, what are we left with?

Whilst I have never been a fan of the man, I am amazed at how much money, time and effort he has put into the club. He has possibly been a little naïve and certainly very unlucky, but he has a vision that as of yet he has not been able to make work.

If the ‘supporters’ make the man’s life so unbearable, the debts increase and there is no savior in sight, then the third option starts to become more likely. I fear that the man is in so deep that it’s now shit or bust.

Personally, if you whipped up a posse of morons that bombarded me with foul abuse, threw bricks at my car, sent my family death threats and protested outside my house (like they did with Honest Ron Martin), then I would definitely adopt a scorched earth policy, but I’m a vindictive bastard. If we are going to turn on the main man when he needs us most, then I hope he is not made of the same stuff.

The longer the club survives, the more chance of the academy producing the next Rooney, the more chance of the right personnel arriving etc. etc.

Whilst I wish we had never heard of MrC, we are where we are and I firmly believe that our only hope is to, albeit grudgingly, support the man in the hope that he finds the answers and starts to reap the rewards that his massive investment deserves.

Macclesfield and Bury supporters would love to be in our position.

For me, until you can produce a rich idiot, it’s a case of ‘better the devil you know’.
[Post edited 4 Jan 12:49]
Next Manager on 10:00 - Jan 3 with 540 viewsCrashBandicoot

Perhaps us fans should get together via Lottery syndicate for a hundred million/billionaire maker type mega draw? Though in all seriousness I personally would give Cowling time to sort the club out though he would need to adjust his business model for the club as well.

On a side note I have started a poll on next U's head coach taking into account the current betting as Danny Cowley is currently 2-1 favourite.

I haven't put currently attached managers as I doubt Mr C would want to be liable for any compensation payouts

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Next Manager on 10:56 - Jan 3 with 509 viewsRSCOSWORTH

For those that haven't seen it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67863997

Next Manager on 10:57 - Jan 3 with 507 viewsMoor_Pinot

Next Manager on 09:50 - Jan 3 by TheOldOakTree

Excellent! I can make the placards, I’ve got an O-level in Woodwork (Wessex will remember Mr. Bateman). We just need T-shirts…….

……. before we start, can I just check that you have assurances from someone very, very rich and very, very, very stupid that they will buy the club?

In all seriousness, I understand your feelings, but what might seem like you are caring for the club, will probably remove all hope of our continued existence.

Sadly, our position is in no way comparable with the likes of Saarfend, (or other clubs). The amount required to sort out their troubles was loose change compared to us. I believe the ‘chicken-feed’ paid for the prawns also included Roots Hall?

It is no secret that our club has massive debts, and owns almost nothing, it has a small fan base and a bad geographic location.

The naïve amongst us may think that this debt is not important and it’s just a tax fiddle. The Inland Revenue are not stupid, if you own a group of companies, you cannot just move debt around willy-nilly. If one company lends another of your companies money, it has to be via a formal loan. You cannot just magic the loan away.

If you are going to be successful and ‘persuade’ Mr. C to let go of the club after he has spent eyewatering amounts of money, it looks like one of three things needs to happen (or a combination of those things).

Option 1, somebody need to take on the over £30M debt. That wouldn’t get them the stadium or the training ground, the club’s fixed assets are less than £0.5M. So, they would need, say £20M on top to turn things around and buy the training ground or build another one. After spending £50M plus they have got very little for their money with very limited potential. It is committed to an academy that has the potential to be a bottomless pit into which you need to shovel cash. There must be 50 other clubs than you could buy for that sort of money that would be a safer investment.
My experience of people with significant wealth, be it new or old money, is that they are not stupid. I am not aware of an avid fan that is both mega rich and prepared to burn his/her money. I would suggest that the chances of us finding the saviour that we may dream of are only slightly better than me becoming the next pope and I’m not catholic.

Secondly, the owner could put his hand in his pocket even further and pay off that debt before selling. Mr C is not Elon Musk, Jobserve is not Amazon or Microsoft. He cannot realistically be expected to give away what would be a significant slice of his family’s wealth.

Talk of peaceful protest is nonsense. Colchester has its share of idiots, the moron that threw a smoke fair on the pitch at Bradford this season.

…that’s Bradford City, Valley Parde, where 56 people died in an inferno and many more, still supporting the Bantams suffered physical and mental injuries and some little shite of a Col U ‘supporter’ throws a smoke flare on the pitch. You might as well piss on the Cenotaph for good measure.

That is the sort of f##kwit that you are going to encourage. It always descends from verbal abuse, into threats and physical violence.

Do you think that someone, who by his own admission was not a Col U supporter, it going to take the inevitable threats and abuse and turn around and say ‘OK I’ll just throw in £30M of my money to clear the debt, throw in the training ground for free and let someone else walk off with the club’.

That isn’t going to happen. Even a mixture of options 1 and 2 doesn’t look likely.

So, what are we left with?

Whilst I have never been a fan of the man, I am amazed at how much money, time and effort he has put into the club. He has possibly been a little naïve and certainly very unlucky, but he has a vision that as of yet he has not been able to make work.

If the ‘supporters’ make the man’s life so unbearable, the debts increase and there is no savior in sight, then the third option starts to become more likely. I fear that the man is in so deep that it’s now shit or bust.

Personally, if you whipped up a posse of morons that bombarded me with foul abuse, threw bricks at my car, sent my family death threats and protested outside my house (like they did with Honest Ron Martin), then I would definitely adopt a scorched earth policy, but I’m a vindictive bastard. If we are going to turn on the main man when he needs us most, then I hope he is not made of the same stuff.

The longer the club survives, the more chance of the academy producing the next Rooney, the more chance of the right personnel arriving etc. etc.

Whilst I wish we had never heard of MrC, we are where we are and I firmly believe that our only hope is to, albeit grudgingly, support the man in the hope that he finds the answers and starts to reap the rewards that his massive investment deserves.

Macclesfield and Bury supporters would love to be in our position.

For me, until you can produce a rich idiot, it’s a case of ‘better the devil you know’.
[Post edited 4 Jan 12:49]

Absolutely TooT, I couldn't agree more. Admirably unpacked and analysed if I may say.
We are in a far from ideal spot, declining ever further but I still have a football club. The only football club that has ever mattered to me so, as Noah posted, whatever league we're in I'll be there in person or spirit.
I remain grateful to Mr C for that. One day he'll work out that his management model doesn't work or needs modification. All I/we can do is to await developments however frustrating this long dispiriting period in the history of the club.

As I whispered before - Give Cowley brothers a go!

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024