Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Said Les 10:23 - Feb 23 with 5023 viewsGaryBannister86

I know I'm old, and this is pointless, but 30 years on I still wince at "Sir Les". Can't help it.

It's not. It's Said Les. And if you know, you know.

And if you are Cinzano, you don't.

Even if it is your 50TH YEAR OF SUPPORTING QUEENS PARK RANGERS.

etc.
Said Les on 11:04 - Feb 23 with 4061 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I notice this was referred to in the Robson Green TV programme that goes round the NE of England. There was an episode with Les in it where he recounts that they revered him so much up there they named him Sir Les !

Wasn't it simply that we sang 'Said Lesley Ferdinand, said Lesley Ferdinand'
[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 11:05]
Said Les on 11:07 - Feb 23 with 4039 viewsGaryBannister86

Said Les on 11:04 - Feb 23 by CroydonCaptJack

I notice this was referred to in the Robson Green TV programme that goes round the NE of England. There was an episode with Les in it where he recounts that they revered him so much up there they named him Sir Les !

Yes, unless my memory is playing tricks....we sung

"Les-lie Fer-dinand, I said Les-lie Fer-din-and"

Man of the people Cinzano, as ever wanting to be at the beating heart of the Rangers fans but missing the mark, misheard and reported that QPR fans had knighted him.

And it all went on from there, to the Geordies and beyond.

Not that I am bitter about something totally irrelevant, but I am who I am!
Said Les on 11:18 - Feb 23 with 3993 viewsBushRanger82

Our fan base can be quite bizarre at times.
I was at Man City for that Aguerro moment.
When news began to filter through that we'd managed to stay up, the way Rangers fans reacted has me squirming with embarrassment to this day. Celebrating City's winning goal against us, was the most bizarre thing I have seen our fans do at any football match in my entire life.
I came away gutted that we didn't win the game, I really wasn't that bothered about staying in a league we were basically pants in anyway.
Takes all sorts, I suppose.
Said Les on 11:30 - Feb 23 with 3945 viewsHayesender

Said Les on 11:18 - Feb 23 by BushRanger82

When news began to filter through that we'd managed to stay up, the way Rangers fans reacted has me squirming with embarrassment to this day. Celebrating City's winning goal against us, was the most bizarre thing I have seen our fans do at any football match in my entire life.
I came away gutted that we didn't win the game, I really wasn't that bothered about staying in a league we were basically pants in anyway.

Completely with you on this one. Still get a sense of guttingness when they show that bloody goal

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Said Les on 11:32 - Feb 23 with 3937 viewsHayesender

Back to the question. I always thought it was "say Leslie Ferdinand"?

Certainly wasn't sir

Said Les on 11:41 - Feb 23 with 3894 viewshubble

Well this is surely it for Les then, even his knighthood has been revoked!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Said Les on 11:42 - Feb 23 with 3889 viewsSydneyRs

Said Les on 11:04 - Feb 23 by CroydonCaptJack

Yes, it was a play on that oops up side your head song. It was never Sir.
Said Les on 12:13 - Feb 23 with 3775 viewsAntti_Heinola

I was saying Boo-urns.

(Actually i used to sing ‘say’ but changed it to ‘Sir’. Doesn’t really matter does it? Bit of fun)

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Said Les on 12:34 - Feb 23 with 3689 viewsslmrstid

Said Les on 12:13 - Feb 23 by Antti_Heinola

I was saying Boo-urns.

(Actually i used to sing ‘say’ but changed it to ‘Sir’. Doesn’t really matter does it? Bit of fun)

On a similar note to this, I was possibly one of the only people at Wembley in 2014 singing "One Bobby Zamora"
Said Les on 12:45 - Feb 23 with 3636 viewsswisscottage

It was more like

I say a, I say a Leslie Ferdinand

But yeah it still rankles me that Terry Cinzano (Tony Incenzo) subverted it to Sir Les.

I remember him getting grief for those of us coming back on the Train from somewhere one weekend, when he was reporting into his hand held tape recorder.
Said Les on 12:50 - Feb 23 with 3598 viewsw7r

I've wanted to say this for years - but never had the guts.

This feels like therapy.

I thank you.
Said Les on 12:50 - Feb 23 with 3597 viewsHayesender

Said Les on 12:45 - Feb 23 by swisscottage

It was more like

But yeah it still rankles me that Terry Cinzano (Tony Incenzo) subverted it to Sir Les.

I remember him getting grief for those of us coming back on the Train from somewhere one weekend, when he was reporting into his hand held tape recorder.

Very Foghorn Leghorn

Said Les on 12:54 - Feb 23 with 3570 viewsGaryBannister86

Said Les on 12:50 - Feb 23 by w7r

I've wanted to say this for years - but never had the guts.

This feels like therapy.

I thank you.

Pleasure.

I mean it sounds so irrelevant, unless you get wound up by Cinzano, which I have been on a regular basis all my life. From the phantom card sender, to the "2,945th" league ground visited, to rapping on commentary, to embarrassing Capital Gold match reports "and 300,000 travelling R's go wild!" to......present day and self-serving rubbish about 50 CONSECUTIVE SEASONS

Sure he's a lovely fella but something about him rubs me up the wrong way and then some.
Said Les on 13:12 - Feb 23 with 3513 viewsw7r

Said Les on 12:54 - Feb 23 by GaryBannister86

Pleasure.

I mean it sounds so irrelevant, unless you get wound up by Cinzano, which I have been on a regular basis all my life. From the phantom card sender, to the "2,945th" league ground visited, to rapping on commentary, to embarrassing Capital Gold match reports "and 300,000 travelling R's go wild!" to......present day and self-serving rubbish about 50 CONSECUTIVE SEASONS

Sure he's a lovely fella but something about him rubs me up the wrong way and then some.

Tony has certainly spouted his fair share of drivel over the years.

Agreed, it is irrelevant in the scheme of things but details matter - right?
Said Les on 15:13 - Feb 23 with 3332 viewsAd99

He was Partridge even before Partridge.

The radio reports were painful. Tried so hard to be different but ended up being ridiculous. All you wanted was some insight to the game on what was (then) quite a popular medium.
Said Les on 15:28 - Feb 23 with 3289 viewsTheChef

Said Les on 11:30 - Feb 23 by Hayesender

Completely with you on this one. Still get a sense of guttingness when they show that bloody goal

Pissed me off too - being 2-1 up at 90 minutes, and losing the game in injury time!

But ultimately it was funny seeing ManUre lose out, and everyone in the Etihad could go home happy

Would have been an interesting journey back had we held on and won...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Said Les on 16:26 - Feb 23 with 3202 viewsnumbers912

Hello all.very long time lurker, first time poster. - I think..
I certainly remember always singing Said as opposed to Sir and also Hi Ho SUPER RANGERS rather than QUEENS PARK RANGERS.
Said Les on 16:33 - Feb 23 with 3171 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

I sat in the Upper Loft with my Dad back when Les was scoring for fun. From where we sat it sounded like Sir Leslie Ferdinand, Sir Leslie Ferdinand.
I can see why he thought that. Besides, due to the amount of goals he scored I think he deserved Sir. Remember, it was either him Devon 'Bruno' White. 😮
Said Les on 16:38 - Feb 23 with 3143 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Said Les on 16:26 - Feb 23 by numbers912

I certainly remember always singing Said as opposed to Sir and also Hi Ho SUPER RANGERS rather than QUEENS PARK RANGERS.

I still think there is a mixture of people singing Super Rangers and Queens Park Rangers although I am finding it hard to remember that song at the moment!
Said Les on 16:41 - Feb 23 with 3128 viewsWesty75

Yeah, it was to the tune of “Oops upside your head”. So it was “Say Les-lie Ferdinand, say Leslie Ferdinand”
Said Les on 17:19 - Feb 23 with 3053 viewsHooping_Mad

It was because Ashley Young got Derry sent off at Old Trafford.

Cringe but I got it.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Said Les on 17:32 - Feb 23 with 3012 viewsngbqpr

Said Les on 16:26 - Feb 23 by numbers912

That's a whole new can of worms...(our family is even split on this one)

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Said Les on 21:46 - Feb 23 with 2795 viewsJuzzie

I was there too and when Aguero scored I started kicking the seat in front of me.
Partly because i still wasn’t sure we were safe (many conflicting rumours going around and my phone had somehow gone onto airplane mode so no notifications coming through) but mainly ‘cos I was pi$$ed off we lost when a draw at least was on the cards. Couldn’t have given a feck how things were panning out for either Manc club.

Edit: yes, it was always “Said Lesley Ferdinand…..”

[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 21:48]
Said Les on 23:02 - Feb 23 with 2665 viewsSydneyRs

Said Les on 12:54 - Feb 23 by GaryBannister86

Pleasure.

The thing with Cinzano for me is how his voice ruins many classic old clips of games. If they weren't on TV at the time then its always his voice. Not exactly Motty or Brian Moore.
Said Les on 23:02 - Feb 23 with 2663 viewsloftupper

Said Les on 21:46 - Feb 23 by Juzzie

I was there too and when Aguero scored I started kicking the seat in front of me.
Partly because i still wasn’t sure we were safe (many conflicting rumours going around and my phone had somehow gone onto airplane mode so no notifications coming through) but mainly ‘cos I was pi$$ed off we lost when a draw at least was on the cards. Couldn’t have given a feck how things were panning out for either Manc club.

Edit: yes, it was always “Said Lesley Ferdinand…..”

[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 21:48]

Always thought it was 'Say' Leslie Ferdinand but then my ear has never been great at picking these things up. Still can't work the Paal song out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024