Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Chance To Get A True Home End 09:10 - Mar 7 with 5242 viewsSaintNick

If we did get relegated this would provide a great opportunity to get a home end that is truly Saints supporters only.

With season ticket sales plummeting and the average crowd probably initially dropping to about 23,000 it gives a good opportunity to reset the ground demographics

We could move the family section into the corner of the Chapel end and make that en our home end, by stopping selling season tickets in the home end and making that the overspill section, ie only opened when we reach capacity.

Then with all the Northam enders decamping to the Chapel we would have a genuine home end where all our fans are together and not going to be moved for cup games.

Controversial I know, but at least this idea could be implemented logistically, so i don't see a better workable solution

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 23:37 - Mar 7 with 1777 viewsgrumpy

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 22:11 - Mar 7 by hedgeend61

Leicester won the PL with a family stand behind the goal next to the away fans on the side/corner and a quiet Chapel type lot behind the other goal.
They're singing section was (still is) over the halfway line next to the away fans.
They even brought in them clacker things to liven/wake them up.

Liverpool have never won a PL in front of their own fans.
Man City have won a few PL titles in a church like atmosphere.

The Spurs and Wolves (2003 FA Cup) atmosphere at SMS was superb, with 4500 away fans in the Northam, probably as good as anything at The Dell.

You're right, quality on the park wins matches, fans don't. If you're winning they're noisy, if you're pants they boo.

So what are you saying,fans only sing when they are winning? It’s ridiculous to say fans can’t help a team to win.
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 12:50 - Mar 8 with 1605 viewsfranniesTache

The thing with all this though is that Saints have never really had a culture of a single "home end" in all my time going.

When i started you had the Archers for the lads, and the milton for the nippers, then i went Milton and under the east, then the bikeshed and under the east.

At st mary's you've had the northam and itchen north who've switched a bit and arguably the kingsland north is now louder than the northam (and the itchen north has turned into junior saints).

Honestly the best thing would be to leave as is but make the itchen north, northam and kingsland north "safe standing".

Also if you really want to improve the atmosphere then the issue isn't location, the issue is getting tickets.

If you make a whole block - say block 42 - pay on the day only you'd improve atmosphere massively as young groups of lads could go with their friends again.
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 13:08 - Mar 8 with 1597 viewsgrumpy

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 12:50 - Mar 8 by franniesTache

The thing with all this though is that Saints have never really had a culture of a single "home end" in all my time going.

When i started you had the Archers for the lads, and the milton for the nippers, then i went Milton and under the east, then the bikeshed and under the east.

At st mary's you've had the northam and itchen north who've switched a bit and arguably the kingsland north is now louder than the northam (and the itchen north has turned into junior saints).

Honestly the best thing would be to leave as is but make the itchen north, northam and kingsland north "safe standing".

Also if you really want to improve the atmosphere then the issue isn't location, the issue is getting tickets.

If you make a whole block - say block 42 - pay on the day only you'd improve atmosphere massively as young groups of lads could go with their friends again.

The Milton was the Home End until the Dell started building barriers and putting in seats.
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 14:07 - Mar 8 with 1574 viewsIfonly

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 13:08 - Mar 8 by grumpy

The Milton was the Home End until the Dell started building barriers and putting in seats.

The best atmosphere at the Dell was when the Milton Rd was the home end and Archers away. The only seats were up in the stands and the fans under the west and east stands did their bit too. The crowd sizes were usually smaller than now but the atmosphere for the average game then was always much better.

It's no coincidence that in those days our home record was much better than our away record, and I mean MUCH better. We seemed to lose most away games but stood a good chance against anyone at home. Visiting teams were often intimidated and Saints lifted by the crowd, you could see it happen.
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 17:03 - Mar 8 with 1542 viewsgrumpy

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 14:07 - Mar 8 by Ifonly

The best atmosphere at the Dell was when the Milton Rd was the home end and Archers away. The only seats were up in the stands and the fans under the west and east stands did their bit too. The crowd sizes were usually smaller than now but the atmosphere for the average game then was always much better.

It's no coincidence that in those days our home record was much better than our away record, and I mean MUCH better. We seemed to lose most away games but stood a good chance against anyone at home. Visiting teams were often intimidated and Saints lifted by the crowd, you could see it happen.

The Milton Road End was quite some place.
There were often some good old fashioned rows there I can tell you.
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 19:40 - Mar 8 with 1482 viewshedgeend61

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 23:37 - Mar 7 by grumpy

So what are you saying,fans only sing when they are winning? It’s ridiculous to say fans can’t help a team to win.

Pretty obvious they'll sing more when they're winning than losing isn't it?

Liverpool, a top side , good support, have had 30 pokes at winning the PL and have only won it once in front of no fans cos of the Covid.
In front of their passionate support they bottled it in front of 50,000 v Chelsea (Gerrard slip) so they're fans haven't really helped them much at home for 3 decades really, have they?

Celtic took 100,000 to Seville 20 years back, didn't help them either.

Fans can help maybe to a small degree, but only small, quality on the pitch wins matches
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 20:24 - Mar 8 with 1446 viewsgrumpy

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 19:40 - Mar 8 by hedgeend61

Pretty obvious they'll sing more when they're winning than losing isn't it?

Liverpool, a top side , good support, have had 30 pokes at winning the PL and have only won it once in front of no fans cos of the Covid.
In front of their passionate support they bottled it in front of 50,000 v Chelsea (Gerrard slip) so they're fans haven't really helped them much at home for 3 decades really, have they?

Celtic took 100,000 to Seville 20 years back, didn't help them either.

Fans can help maybe to a small degree, but only small, quality on the pitch wins matches

At the Dell we survived at home against better teams because of atmosphere created by the fans ability to lift our players.
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 17:55 - Mar 9 with 1323 viewsUTS1885

Nobody will move to the chapel they want to be close to the away fans and thats been the case since the ground opened.
Login to get fewer ads

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 18:05 - Mar 9 with 1317 viewsgrumpy

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 17:55 - Mar 9 by UTS1885

Nobody will move to the chapel they want to be close to the away fans and thats been the case since the ground opened.

Oh! no,not that old chestnut,give me strength...........
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 18:41 - Mar 9 with 1281 viewsBuggalugs

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 18:05 - Mar 9 by grumpy

Oh! no,not that old chestnut,give me strength...........

He’s not wrong though. I think you’re a bit out of touch old bean.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 19:03 - Mar 9 with 1253 viewsSouthamptonfan

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 17:55 - Mar 9 by UTS1885

The fans who want to sit and don't want to be around any "trouble" choose to sit in the Chapel. Those who like the banter do indeed want to be near the away fans. They want the agro and banter, so they sit where the away fans are.

Poll: Who are you voting for?

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 19:49 - Mar 9 with 1207 viewsgrumpy

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 19:03 - Mar 9 by Southamptonfan

The fans who want to sit and don't want to be around any "trouble" choose to sit in the Chapel. Those who like the banter do indeed want to be near the away fans. They want the agro and banter, so they sit where the away fans are.

What sort of Agro? Harsh words? 😂
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 23:53 - Mar 9 with 1129 viewssotonian

From a crowd control point of view, the Northam is the perfect place to put away fans, closest place to the coaches, the car park behind is perfect if you need to keep fans contained when leaving the ground, for games that have a larger away presence it makes sense to give them a larger part of the Northam, itchen north wouldn’t work as there is not a large enough area to contain away fans outside the ground if needed.
As Nick says if the fans really want a whole home end it has to be the chapel end. In reality though the vocal support want to be next to the away fans, so nothing will change, as someone previously suggested safe standing in the chapel end may work
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 14:54 - Mar 10 with 954 viewsBerber

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 12:50 - Mar 8 by franniesTache

This, I just cannot see any merit in the Home End support. We have the whole of the rest of the ground. We have the singers massed in the Northam. There are plenty of seats available in the Kingsland at that end. If more singers want to get there, they can.
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 18:49 - Mar 10 with 898 viewsgrumpy

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 14:54 - Mar 10 by Berber

This, I just cannot see any merit in the Home End support. We have the whole of the rest of the ground. We have the singers massed in the Northam. There are plenty of seats available in the Kingsland at that end. If more singers want to get there, they can.

'We have the singers massed in the Northam'

Didn't hear much from them against Grimsby.
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 18:52 - Mar 10 with 897 viewsBerber

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 18:49 - Mar 10 by grumpy

'We have the singers massed in the Northam'

Didn't hear much from them against Grimsby.

That is not to do with seating though was it?
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 19:46 - Mar 10 with 885 viewsgrumpy

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 18:52 - Mar 10 by Berber

That is not to do with seating though was it?

I will never understand why anyone would be happy with the way St.Mary’s is set up at the moment.
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 21:55 - Mar 10 with 839 viewsBerber

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 19:46 - Mar 10 by grumpy

I will never understand why anyone would be happy with the way St.Mary’s is set up at the moment.

The problem is giving so much area to opposition supporters, not where they sit. Grimsby game being a case in point.
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 21:49 - Mar 12 with 754 viewsBlock8

Absolutely correct in my opinion, we currently have our most vocal support either side of the away fans and it's disjointed. Lets have a whole end and get the chants back into unison!
The Chance To Get A True Home End on 06:43 - Mar 13 with 645 viewsSouthamptonfan

The ideal solution would be to move the away fans round into the corner, into the Itchen North. This would give Saints fans a large chunk of the Northam, and they would also be near the away fans. But due to segregation, Saints say they can't do it.

Poll: Who are you voting for?

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 10:29 - Mar 13 with 592 viewsBridders2

The Chance To Get A True Home End on 06:43 - Mar 13 by Southamptonfan

The ideal solution would be to move the away fans round into the corner, into the Itchen North. This would give Saints fans a large chunk of the Northam, and they would also be near the away fans. But due to segregation, Saints say they can't do it.

This would be the ideal solution.
They could re-configure the layout and access inside the stand, but have a problem with the ticket office outside where a lot of Saints fan congregate. Just move the ticket office into the Saints shop. Simples.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024