Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I feel desperately sorry tonight. 19:04 - Mar 25 with 3425 viewsEllDale

For whom?
Well, for a start, for all those people who fought for and cajoled to get Rochdale into the Football League over a century ago.
For the thousands of the people who, in the means tested, depressed 1930’s, continued to support a wretched team by scrimping and saving to keep the club afloat.
For all the people who, in the dark days of the 1970s, kept things going when things looked hopeless.
For managers who meant that the club punched above it’s weight like Ted Goodier, Tony Collins, Bob Stokoe and Keith Hill.
For indefatigable clubmen like Tom Nichol and Jack Northover.
For the thousands who paid into and collected on behalf of over the years the Supporters Club lotteries, the Fighting Fund, Goldbond. For Cloughie.
For hundreds of players who wore the shirt with pride like Stan Milburn, Graham Smith, Reg Jenkins, Shaun Reid, Gary Jones.
For directors who kept it all afloat like Fred Ratcliffe, the Overcoat Men, Chris Dunphy.
The heritage of all the above has been sadly betrayed. Their efforts have gone to waste.
I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 19:14 - Mar 25 with 3324 viewsDalenet

To be fair we've seen some great stuff over the past 20 years or so. The efforts of all the people you mentioned have given us that. A rebuilt stadium, players we have been proud to watch grown into Premiership players, going to the new Wembley - twice - when other top end teams have still to play there. Great cup runs, scoring 4 goals almost every game when Hilly first took us up to League One. Beating Southampton on their patch.

We have been a privilged generation compared to those that passed on before this period. We have had more ups than downs, plenty of disappointments but loads of moments of immense pride. I want to remember those times as we fall by the wayside. This past couple of years has been awful. But we have had a good ride.
I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 19:43 - Mar 25 with 3170 viewsD_Alien

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 19:14 - Mar 25 by Dalenet

To be fair we've seen some great stuff over the past 20 years or so. The efforts of all the people you mentioned have given us that. A rebuilt stadium, players we have been proud to watch grown into Premiership players, going to the new Wembley - twice - when other top end teams have still to play there. Great cup runs, scoring 4 goals almost every game when Hilly first took us up to League One. Beating Southampton on their patch.

We have been a privilged generation compared to those that passed on before this period. We have had more ups than downs, plenty of disappointments but loads of moments of immense pride. I want to remember those times as we fall by the wayside. This past couple of years has been awful. But we have had a good ride.

I agree

It's always worth remembering those who've contributed over the years, but i don't see much value in feeling sorry for ourselves - that won't get us back to where we need to be

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 19:45 - Mar 25 with 3158 viewsfrenzied

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 19:43 - Mar 25 by D_Alien

I agree

It's always worth remembering those who've contributed over the years, but i don't see much value in feeling sorry for ourselves - that won't get us back to where we need to be

Well said
I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 20:19 - Mar 25 with 3027 viewsNigelWatson

This is EXACTLY how I feel. Years of hard work thrown away. Too many people failed to recognise that under Keith Hill in particular, the club punched way above its weight. He achieved miracles. And how did we reward him? Answer: we sacked him, Shortly after his dad died. Shameful.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2023 20:23]
I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 20:41 - Mar 25 with 2924 viewsJames1980

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 20:19 - Mar 25 by NigelWatson

This is EXACTLY how I feel. Years of hard work thrown away. Too many people failed to recognise that under Keith Hill in particular, the club punched way above its weight. He achieved miracles. And how did we reward him? Answer: we sacked him, Shortly after his dad died. Shameful.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2023 20:23]

Only one of the current board was there when that decision was made though. At the time considering BBM kept us up it was the right one. Perhaps in hindsight he should have been told to take a sabbatical.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 20:45 - Mar 25 with 2900 views442Dale

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 20:41 - Mar 25 by James1980

Only one of the current board was there when that decision was made though. At the time considering BBM kept us up it was the right one. Perhaps in hindsight he should have been told to take a sabbatical.

It really shouldn’t be something that’s discussed at length, but Keith Hill’s father passed away two years before he left the club.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 20:53 - Mar 25 with 2852 viewsD_Alien

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 20:45 - Mar 25 by 442Dale

It really shouldn’t be something that’s discussed at length, but Keith Hill’s father passed away two years before he left the club.

It's not, but credit to you for pointing out the fallacy of suggesting there was any connection between the two events

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 21:53 - Mar 25 with 2617 views49thseason

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 20:53 - Mar 25 by D_Alien

It's not, but credit to you for pointing out the fallacy of suggesting there was any connection between the two events

I think he lost his love for the game when his Dad died, suddenly there was no-one to share his enthusiasm with. He was never quite the same and he carried on but the spark had gone and he never really found it again. I hope maybe one day he will find a renewed enthusiasm, perhaps as DoF somewhere. Involved but not totally responsible might re-ignite the spark and get his juices running. People are attracted to his personality, we need a big personality.
Login to get fewer ads

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 22:43 - Mar 25 with 2481 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 21:53 - Mar 25 by 49thseason

I think he lost his love for the game when his Dad died, suddenly there was no-one to share his enthusiasm with. He was never quite the same and he carried on but the spark had gone and he never really found it again. I hope maybe one day he will find a renewed enthusiasm, perhaps as DoF somewhere. Involved but not totally responsible might re-ignite the spark and get his juices running. People are attracted to his personality, we need a big personality.

Well said. Hill's father passing definitely had a big effect on him. He tried and succeeded to hide it in the main, but it was after that his strange decision making started. It slowly snowballed and the rest is history.
Our club is well known for mistreating the heroes of the past. Reg Jenkins, Peter Madden, Gary Jones, Hendo to name but a few, not to mention staff and volunteers. It's time the club realised that without it's supporters they are nothing. Any decision making should be discussed in depth with what few dedicated fans we have left.
I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 08:32 - Mar 26 with 2159 viewsNorthernDale

I would bring Keith Hill back as D.o.F, with a defined role, because like him or loath he knows the club inside out and cares about the club, yes his last period at the club was at the end a disaster and I was one of the people who thought he should go. We need to appoint somebody in the role of D.o.F to evaluate the squad, identify targets and plan for next season, this would allow the board time to make a decision about the manager and potentially identify a new manager.
I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 08:52 - Mar 26 with 2097 viewsNigelWatson

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 22:43 - Mar 25 by RooleyMoorBlue

Well said. Hill's father passing definitely had a big effect on him. He tried and succeeded to hide it in the main, but it was after that his strange decision making started. It slowly snowballed and the rest is history.
Our club is well known for mistreating the heroes of the past. Reg Jenkins, Peter Madden, Gary Jones, Hendo to name but a few, not to mention staff and volunteers. It's time the club realised that without it's supporters they are nothing. Any decision making should be discussed in depth with what few dedicated fans we have left.

The poor bloke needed help; a bit of understanding and support. But, rather than doing that, we sacked him! People will look back in ten or twenty years time and wonder what on earth went on.
I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 09:14 - Mar 26 with 2041 viewssomdale

Every season that passes only ups the value of Keith Hills tenure as Dale Manager, not much joy before him, and certainly nothing since, the miracle worker, he deserves a statue, he really does.
A true legend, will we ever see the likes again??
I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 11:51 - Mar 26 with 1777 viewsfrenzied

I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 08:32 - Mar 26 by NorthernDale

I would bring Keith Hill back as D.o.F, with a defined role, because like him or loath he knows the club inside out and cares about the club, yes his last period at the club was at the end a disaster and I was one of the people who thought he should go. We need to appoint somebody in the role of D.o.F to evaluate the squad, identify targets and plan for next season, this would allow the board time to make a decision about the manager and potentially identify a new manager.

Not for me thanks.

As wonderful as he was id rather leave his legacy where it was.
I feel desperately sorry tonight. on 13:09 - Mar 26 with 1642 viewsseasidedale

What about Chris beach as manager, he know the club well and the hill regime, perhaps we would get hill effect without the moans
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024