Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced 13:04 - Mar 31 with 2698 viewsKeithHaynes

This is what happens when you let your mouth run away with itself on Twitter.

BBC -
A man has been sentenced for sending a racist tweet to Swansea footballer Michael Obafemi.
Josh Phillips, 26, from Cwmbwrla in Swansea was sentenced to 12 weeks in prison, suspended for 18 months.

Phillips sent the abusive tweet in response to Swansea's announcement of his loan move to Burnley Football Club.

Phillips previously admitted sending a message that was grossly offensive, indecent, obscene or menacing, at Swansea Magistrates' Court.
In his victim impact statement, Michael Obafemi said: "The racial abuse I've received is totally unacceptable.

"It doesn't matter what I do as a job, I'm a human being and I don't deserve this sort of behaviour."
Swansea Magistrates' Court previously heard Phillips was out with friends and got drunk before he sent the tweet on 28 January after learning of Mr Obafemi's transfer.

Swans Indy report https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/59780/disgusting-racist-

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 13:21 - Mar 31 with 2615 viewsWhiterockin

IMO should have been more severe.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 13:29 - Mar 31 with 2604 viewsKeithHaynes

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 13:21 - Mar 31 by Whiterockin

IMO should have been more severe.

I would say sentencing guidelines, first offence, clean antecedence was his friend.

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 13:41 - Mar 31 with 2582 viewshobo

There's hundreds of thousands of racist/sexist insults on twitter. There's not enough room to imprison all of them is this is the precedent that's being set
Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 14:10 - Mar 31 with 2536 viewspembsjack

Nice to see some action against the keyboard warriors who troll sites such as twitter.
Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 15:10 - Mar 31 with 2464 viewsjojaca

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 13:41 - Mar 31 by hobo

There's hundreds of thousands of racist/sexist insults on twitter. There's not enough room to imprison all of them is this is the precedent that's being set

I haven't read the story, but 12 weeks in prison seems a bit extreme. Better off doing some community/charity work with Michael getting to choose, personally I think celebrities are nuts for being on platforms like Twitter.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2023 15:11]

Even when you know, you never know?

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 15:18 - Mar 31 with 2443 viewsReslovenSwan1

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 13:41 - Mar 31 by hobo

5000 Swansea fans engage in ethnic slurs I find offensive every match. Josh is a product of the Swansea fan base culture himself.

Ethnic slurs are considered acceptable banter at Swansea city. Its hypocrisy. Highly paid professionals like Birch and Winter have said not a dickie bird. The talk of zero tolerance is faking it.

It is not about the insult but who you are insulting. Welsh people are the go to 'doormat' for racists. The thicko Welsh football fans looked to internationalise it at Qatar. Happily it got no traction.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2023 15:28]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 16:02 - Mar 31 with 2387 viewsonehunglow

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 15:10 - Mar 31 by jojaca

I haven't read the story, but 12 weeks in prison seems a bit extreme. Better off doing some community/charity work with Michael getting to choose, personally I think celebrities are nuts for being on platforms like Twitter.

He ain’t going anywhere.
He keeps his nose clean for 18 months.
He might grow up a bit by then

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 16:05 - Mar 31 with 2387 viewsBadlands

About time.
Hopefully a few stewarts will have the ⚽️⚽️ to take action at home games.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Login to get fewer ads

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 17:10 - Mar 31 with 2328 viewsKeithHaynes

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 15:10 - Mar 31 by jojaca

He isn't going to jail for that time, it’s suspended for 18 months 👍

This post has been edited by an administrator

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 19:19 - Mar 31 with 2231 viewscimlaswan

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 15:18 - Mar 31 by ReslovenSwan1

5000 Swansea fans engage in ethnic slurs I find offensive every match. Josh is a product of the Swansea fan base culture himself.

Ethnic slurs are considered acceptable banter at Swansea city. Its hypocrisy. Highly paid professionals like Birch and Winter have said not a dickie bird. The talk of zero tolerance is faking it.

It is not about the insult but who you are insulting. Welsh people are the go to 'doormat' for racists. The thicko Welsh football fans looked to internationalise it at Qatar. Happily it got no traction.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2023 15:28]

Have you contacted the club or even the police to report this?
Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 19:23 - Mar 31 with 2207 viewsBoundy

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 16:05 - Mar 31 by Badlands

About time.
Hopefully a few stewarts will have the ⚽️⚽️ to take action at home games.

I have to say I've been in my current seat for 12 years and I've not heard any comment which would be deemed racist , obviously I haven't witnessed nor heard what you have .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 21:28 - Mar 31 with 2105 viewsReslovenSwan1

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 19:19 - Mar 31 by cimlaswan

Have you contacted the club or even the police to report this?

Sheep themed Abuse.

Without seeming pompous I seem my role as educational. Technically there is very little difference between 'monkey' theme abuse /banter and sheep themed abuse / banter in my opinion.

I put it to the forum readership (that taking skin colour out of it) this type of pseudo obscene filth is very similar. It is comic to some extent because its is obscene and simply too much. Laugh or cry. The Hungarian abusers of Raheem Sterling see it the same way.

I suggest that those who sing "we know what we are" are not too many steps above young Phillips in their moral station and most are far more experienced so have less of an excuse.

I have posted similar comment on the Swansea city facebook website mentioning the name of Winter. I am in no doubt he has read it. I seek to discourage rather than take action leading to prosecutions.

I was frankly sickened by Welsh fans chanting, "we know what we are, we are sheep whatits going to Qatar". What an advertisement for Wales. Morons.

I may well complain to the appropriate bodies. Winter and Alun Michael the Police Commissioner for Wales. It would be more asking for their views rather than seeking prosecution of any individual. Is it a crime? If it not i could be prosecuted for wasting police time.

I would point out to Michael (who keeps a very low profile) the only people i have noticed charged for these offences are individual people that have a gone well out of their way at Police or security staff. a charming lady fair worker at the Neath Fair a few years back. She actually bite a policemen as well. No doubt worse for wear.

I noticed today's statement by the club welcomed the Phillips verdict but did not mention the club's "zero tolerance" to all forms of racial abuse.

If the club say 'zero tolerant' this must include banning or at least discouraging 'sheep themed bestial' filth. Fans can question why the club turns a blind eye to this stuff while claiming to morally top standard.

I put it to you that a good number of Welsh people take offence including women and small children.

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 21:39 - Mar 31 with 2093 viewscimlaswan

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 21:28 - Mar 31 by ReslovenSwan1

Sheep themed Abuse.

Without seeming pompous I seem my role as educational. Technically there is very little difference between 'monkey' theme abuse /banter and sheep themed abuse / banter in my opinion.

I put it to the forum readership (that taking skin colour out of it) this type of pseudo obscene filth is very similar. It is comic to some extent because its is obscene and simply too much. Laugh or cry. The Hungarian abusers of Raheem Sterling see it the same way.

I suggest that those who sing "we know what we are" are not too many steps above young Phillips in their moral station and most are far more experienced so have less of an excuse.

I have posted similar comment on the Swansea city facebook website mentioning the name of Winter. I am in no doubt he has read it. I seek to discourage rather than take action leading to prosecutions.

I was frankly sickened by Welsh fans chanting, "we know what we are, we are sheep whatits going to Qatar". What an advertisement for Wales. Morons.

I may well complain to the appropriate bodies. Winter and Alun Michael the Police Commissioner for Wales. It would be more asking for their views rather than seeking prosecution of any individual. Is it a crime? If it not i could be prosecuted for wasting police time.

I would point out to Michael (who keeps a very low profile) the only people i have noticed charged for these offences are individual people that have a gone well out of their way at Police or security staff. a charming lady fair worker at the Neath Fair a few years back. She actually bite a policemen as well. No doubt worse for wear.

I noticed today's statement by the club welcomed the Phillips verdict but did not mention the club's "zero tolerance" to all forms of racial abuse.

If the club say 'zero tolerant' this must include banning or at least discouraging 'sheep themed bestial' filth. Fans can question why the club turns a blind eye to this stuff while claiming to morally top standard.

I put it to you that a good number of Welsh people take offence including women and small children.

Well the next time you hear it report it. They give out a number on matchday so that you can report discriminatory abuse by text anonymously.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2023 21:50]
Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 22:03 - Mar 31 with 2064 viewsReslovenSwan1

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 21:39 - Mar 31 by cimlaswan

Well the next time you hear it report it. They give out a number on matchday so that you can report discriminatory abuse by text anonymously.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2023 21:50]

"Hello I would like to report roughly 35% of the east stand for failing the clubs zero tolerance policy by labelling themselves as and ethnic people prone to bestially".

It would not work.

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 22:10 - Mar 31 with 2047 viewsunion_jack

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 22:03 - Mar 31 by ReslovenSwan1

"Hello I would like to report roughly 35% of the east stand for failing the clubs zero tolerance policy by labelling themselves as and ethnic people prone to bestially".

It would not work.

Well if you feel that strongly about it and let’s be fair you keep going on about it on here, why not?

Or maybe you’re afraid you’d be laughed out of the stadium??

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 22:36 - Mar 31 with 2019 viewscimlaswan

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 22:03 - Mar 31 by ReslovenSwan1

It would not work.

Go the club and speak to someone about this then.
Ask them why they tolerate this. Maybe you could persuade them to announce something over the P.A or put something on the screen to prevent it.

Go to local press and complain about it. Go to the local MP /AM. Go to Alun Michael as you've suggested.

You keep positing this on a message board (okay fine) but then you're not doing anything practical to prevent this . If you don't do anything then I'm afraid it will just keep happening.
Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 22:38 - Mar 31 with 2006 viewsKeithHaynes

He had a bit of extra on top.

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 23:47 - Mar 31 with 1936 viewsReslovenSwan1

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 22:36 - Mar 31 by cimlaswan

Ask them why they tolerate this. Maybe you could persuade them to announce something over the P.A or put something on the screen to prevent it.

Go to local press and complain about it. Go to the local MP /AM. Go to Alun Michael as you've suggested.

You keep positing this on a message board (okay fine) but then you're not doing anything practical to prevent this . If you don't do anything then I'm afraid it will just keep happening.

The clubs fans engage in ethnic slurs against my people. I do not like it. Neither do many Welsh people who prefer to stay silent. It is the problem of Welsh football supporters. You can refer it back to me but that will not wash.

This lad has been hung out to dry on this forum quite rightly and I am pointing out some forum regulars are worse than him for supporting banter in the form of ethnic slurs in the field not just on line. They are more experienced than him most probably.

The club professes "zero tolerance " and I am pointing out this is fake. It is not my job change anything. Change comes by a change in mentality. I have noted I have zero supporters on this forum.

I am speaking directly to fans on this forum. I do not need to go anywhere else. 750 views and counting. This is a good reach.

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 03:27 - Apr 1 with 1921 viewsangryjack

Obafemi’s abuser Josh Phillips sentenced on 22:36 - Mar 31 by cimlaswan

Now wander the world has gone mad..and too many snowflakes in the world,getting upset that fans are taking the mick out of themselves for singing we know what we are...people today really need to lighten up..
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024