Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bittersweet symphony — Report 13:21 - Apr 30 with 15709 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/60165
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 11:48 - May 1 with 2174 viewsqprd

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 10:36 - May 1 by Ned_Kennedys

Yesterday we needed a win by any means to stay up so certainly the dark arts were justified.
Honestly what did people expect? Go one nil up and push forward for a second and third?
Get over the line, job done.

I dont mind the dark arts when we're desperate to stay up and in a hole (i do think that faking head injuries is an absolute disgrace given the seriousness of concussion in football, and if qpr continue to do this, the league should take action- peterborough did something similar last year against us where they ran out of subs, a player injured his hamstring and they had him run out and pretend his head was injured. concussions arent really a matter of gamesmanship_

however, lets not pretend like this isnt how ainsworth always manages... the tactics we see and the dark arts are just his MO as a manager... he did the same as manager at wycombe

he used the excuse of needing to get this season over the line as a justification for the stone age and cynical tactics... and now he's already starting to try to plant the seeds of plucky old qpr, so that we can develop this underdog mentality (even though we're not really an underdog like rotherham, etc)... we will see the same tactics next season
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 11:51 - May 1 with 2147 viewsWatfordR

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 22:15 - Apr 30 by ted_hendrix

Thank you for the report.

Don't think I'll be back, I was all geared up for Bristol City next week It's so rare for me to miss the final game of the season but I can't I just can't be arsed anymore.
I'm so-so glad we've survived this season but let's be honest we've grabbed one hell of a pile of lady luck to do so, nothing or nobody will convince me otherwise.

Come the start of next season I'll be 73 Years old with a round car trip of some 3 hours + for home games, I couldn't face watching performances like that and the last games under GA.

I'm no football snob, when you've got to play dirty then play dirty get the points and piss off out of there, I don't love GA I don't love anyone at the club GA Is alright in my book but he Is not the one to take us forward, not In my eyes anyway.

Massive changes at the club over the next few Months.

I'm tired of It completely worn out, I feel distant from the club now something I've never felt before, I'm so glad the season Is over.

Words fail me.

I'm very much with you Ted.

Having made such a mess of this season, having compounded the mistakes made at the end of last season by making managerial appointments that were wrong for this club, and that got more wrong as they went along, I was just happy to see us do whatever was necessary to stay up. If that was sh1thousing, 20% possession, whatever, if it got us over the line, I was prepared to swallow it.

But if anyone at the club thinks that the right way to go is giving free rein to GA to inflict signings that will perpetuate this sort of cr@p, then they are taking the club somewhere I don't really want to go along for the ride.

Work rate isn't enough, passion isn't enough, but we're never going to get a team under GA where there's any commitment to anything more. We all know - every single one of us knows it whether they want to admit it or not - how next season works out if GA stays. Cr@p football, cr@p results, GA sacked by November, and a manager bought in to play exactly the polar opposite of GA's football, with a team full of footballers not capable of playing that way.

You're asking increasingly p1ssed off fans, just like Ted and me, to spend significant time and money travelling to a cramped and substandard HQ to watch a team play defensive, boring, substandard football with none of us being given any idea of a plan to get beyond that to a more attractive and sustainable future.

I'm fed up watching clubs that I've grown up considering as being inferior to us sailing past us and upwards while we just get weaker and less significant to anyone. I want to hear that we will have achievable medium term plans for a stadium fit for the 21st century. I want to hear that we are committed to playing modern, attractive progressive football, with a commitment to developing players capable of delivering that. I want to hear that the club understands what makes a player capable of delivering that. I want to hear that we have a management structure on the playing side of things that can cater for head coaches coming and going, where those comings and goings can be dealt with without resulting chaos.

In short, I want to see and hear a commitment to making this club better and stronger each day that passes than the day before. I want to see professionalism from top to bottom. And I do not see one shred of evidence that having GA as manager or head coach or whatever is going to help achieve any of that.

We have simply got to stop taking the easy and lazy option as a club.
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 12:03 - May 1 with 2100 viewsGaryBannister86

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 11:51 - May 1 by WatfordR

I'm very much with you Ted.

Having made such a mess of this season, having compounded the mistakes made at the end of last season by making managerial appointments that were wrong for this club, and that got more wrong as they went along, I was just happy to see us do whatever was necessary to stay up. If that was sh1thousing, 20% possession, whatever, if it got us over the line, I was prepared to swallow it.

But if anyone at the club thinks that the right way to go is giving free rein to GA to inflict signings that will perpetuate this sort of cr@p, then they are taking the club somewhere I don't really want to go along for the ride.

Work rate isn't enough, passion isn't enough, but we're never going to get a team under GA where there's any commitment to anything more. We all know - every single one of us knows it whether they want to admit it or not - how next season works out if GA stays. Cr@p football, cr@p results, GA sacked by November, and a manager bought in to play exactly the polar opposite of GA's football, with a team full of footballers not capable of playing that way.

You're asking increasingly p1ssed off fans, just like Ted and me, to spend significant time and money travelling to a cramped and substandard HQ to watch a team play defensive, boring, substandard football with none of us being given any idea of a plan to get beyond that to a more attractive and sustainable future.

I'm fed up watching clubs that I've grown up considering as being inferior to us sailing past us and upwards while we just get weaker and less significant to anyone. I want to hear that we will have achievable medium term plans for a stadium fit for the 21st century. I want to hear that we are committed to playing modern, attractive progressive football, with a commitment to developing players capable of delivering that. I want to hear that the club understands what makes a player capable of delivering that. I want to hear that we have a management structure on the playing side of things that can cater for head coaches coming and going, where those comings and goings can be dealt with without resulting chaos.

In short, I want to see and hear a commitment to making this club better and stronger each day that passes than the day before. I want to see professionalism from top to bottom. And I do not see one shred of evidence that having GA as manager or head coach or whatever is going to help achieve any of that.

We have simply got to stop taking the easy and lazy option as a club.

Brilliant post. I am very much in the camp of let's judge GA on what we see early next season, but like you I am fairly convinced I know what is going to happen. Your point about GA getting in a team of Scowens, then getting sacked in Nov, replaced by a more cultured approach....bang on, that is my fear.

Warbs gave us an identity that we were proud of. The GA "underdogs" assessment is really worrying. We are not that small. We are not Wycombe. Give us a team to watch and we'll sell out Loftus Road and lots of away ends. You don't get that at Wycombe. But we want a team to be proud of. You can play football AND get stuck in, you know.
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 12:10 - May 1 with 2068 viewsfrancisbowles

Well, I'm celebrating staying up. I never expected it. However GA and Dobbo put together a plan which worked. They got some grit, fight and belief into these players and got them organised into a structure. We've got out of a hole. Success in stage 1 of the reset.

We are in another hole though and another self inflicted one. As Clive said we need immediate action to cut our losses and organise a budget for next season with £10 million, or whatever the true figure is, wiped off it.

It's not going to be easy and, in the short term of a season or two, I don't think it can be done by playing pretty football. We will be recruiting less talented players but hopefully ones that will fight for every ball. We must make the most of their ability and try and get them passing a bit but most of all we need to be pragmatic.

So, an improved version, however slightly it must be, of how we have played the last two matches, is how we need to start next season and then see where it takes us.
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 12:38 - May 1 with 2004 viewsE15Hoop

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 10:43 - May 1 by terryb

This is also complete football snobery. Or, if you prefer, straight out of Millwall's "No one likes us, we don't care".

I will be renewing next season & draging my 70+ body on a three hour round trip, because this is what I do. Enjoying the company of friends in the pub before the match is another factor.

I'm pleased that you & E15 etc are optimistic about next season & that you can't understand how anyone can doubt that Gareth Ainsworth is the man to take us to the Promised Land. Equally, I can't understand what you base your oppinions on, apart from his passion.

None of you have posted any evidence as to why you hold your views & address everything with the words "I'm confident", "I'm optimistic", "I believe". Admittedly, those that have posted against Gareth, have little (or none) evidence to support their views either.

Personally, I've always been against appointing Gareth as manager, but felt that he was the only candidate for replacing Critchley & that he should be in place for next season whatever had happened.

Westy, in particular, goes on about how Wycombe did not play one dimensional & that we won't either. Well, from where I sit, the club that I detest most in the world, have played bullying, shithousing football for the whole of Ainsworth tenure!

I expect that we will play the same way & that I will hate it, but Queens Park Rangers is my club. I will be there supporting them despite your wish that I stop attending! If the four players you mention are still here next season, it will be because no other club is interested in them. That's not being detrimental to the players, but a statement about the clubs finances.

I do hope that in a few months I will be able to post that I was wrong & that Gareth has achieved all that you expected.
[Post edited 1 May 2023 10:47]

Thanks for your response, Terry, although I disagree that I haven't presented any evidence for my reasons for optimism, albeit they're spread across a big chunk of the recent posts, so you may well not have seen what I have posted sequentially.

To summarise:

1. What has been achieved over these last five games in particular is very significant, even if it hasn't been done playing to a style that is, apparently, the "QPR way", which many people think should be considered a "given", whilst others of us (myself included) disagree. The main reason I say its significant, aside from the obvious one of keeping us in the second tier, is that it proves conclusively that we have a manager who clearly understands (a.) how important the mental side of the game is and (b.) has a clear set of strategies for turning around a losing squad and turning it into one that actually believes it can go to the home of the runaway divisional champions and win. Strategies include the haka team-building exercise and the showing of the Foreman-Ali fight before the Burnley game with the added commentary about how to harness the underdog spirit and come out winning.
Now I understand that there are many posters who find the idea that this club should be promoting itself as "underdogs" in itself abhorrent, but the fact is, as Clive has repeatedly stated, that we have something like the 5th smallest playing budget in the division factoring in the FFP sanctions. Leaving that aside, the important fact to hold onto is that we clearly have a management team who are emotionally intelligent and understand how to make the most of group dynamics and engender a team spirit that brings together disparate individuals who were probably experiencing a range of negative emotions, and therefore displaying a range of negative behaviours which were damaging their inividual performances and therefore the performance of the team. The fact that GA and RD found a way to turn that around and create a winning mentality and adopt a system that meant that the majority of the squad members could contribute positively to a winning outcome (which his three predecessors consistently failed to do, by the way) is an achievement that thankfully some of us at least have recognised. This is a massive beacon of hope given that we've now got to deal with a significant squad overhaul, and it also speaks to the fact - to use that cliched phrase which I know will kick off some vitriol from a number of the regular posters - that the management team have a good sense of what they're looking for in the character and mentality of the players that they want to bring on board. Sorry that I didn't use the word "talent" in that last part, but we all know that FFP dictates that we're playing in a pool where we HAVE to look for players who are committed and want to learn first, and if we happen to find some gems who offer us something extra on the skills front as well, then that's a real bonus - "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" to coin the phrase that you'll see on the walls at Heston.
As far as that last point is concerned, which people seem to want to use as a stick to beat GA with, I posted in another thread a long piece from the Bucks Free Press that goes into great detail about how GA harnessed Ebere Eze's talent and successfully integrated into his hard working Wycombe side, and how Eze himself gives GA significant credit for helping him develop his game. Now I got a reaction from one poster who said "well he couldn't really fail with Eze could he?", but that IMHO is a bit patronising, and completly ignores Eze's own opinion of how GA helped him with a range of game smarts, including how to make sure that his talent actually could affect games over 90 minutes instead of just in small pockets, as had been the criticism of him previously when he was at Millwall and also, interestingly, when he was at LR before he went out on loan to Wycombe.
In addition, we have seen several quotes from GA (mainly through West London Sport's detailed interviews with GA) on how he fully intends to make Taylor Richards a focal point for the squad nest season, and has basically been trying to shield him from too much pressure in this period where he has been out with injury for a long period and has also had personal issues of one sort or another to deal with. Now, again, I know that this is going to induce a fair amount of mud-slinging from several posters, but the fact is that we know that this boy has got genuine talent. Surely the fact that GA recognises it, is not afraid to acknowledge it and wants to harness it but do it in a controlled way that gets the best out of him and maximises the benefit to the team as a whole speaks again to the fat that we have a management team who know what they're doing, have a vision for what they're trying to achieve and have a strategy for how they're going to do that on an extremely tight budget?
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 13:26 - May 1 with 1911 viewskensalriser

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 11:08 - May 1 by PinnerPaul

Fair points but there are ALWAYS 3 PL clubs relegated and 3 clubs going well promoted!

April 30th: first sighting of the annual "Championship will be much tougher next season because there'll be three PL sides in it and three really good promoted sides."

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 13:59 - May 1 with 1814 viewsnadera78

There's some sanctimonious claptrap on this thread and others.
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 14:31 - May 1 with 1742 viewsSakura

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 10:43 - May 1 by terryb

This is also complete football snobery. Or, if you prefer, straight out of Millwall's "No one likes us, we don't care".

I will be renewing next season & draging my 70+ body on a three hour round trip, because this is what I do. Enjoying the company of friends in the pub before the match is another factor.

I'm pleased that you & E15 etc are optimistic about next season & that you can't understand how anyone can doubt that Gareth Ainsworth is the man to take us to the Promised Land. Equally, I can't understand what you base your oppinions on, apart from his passion.

None of you have posted any evidence as to why you hold your views & address everything with the words "I'm confident", "I'm optimistic", "I believe". Admittedly, those that have posted against Gareth, have little (or none) evidence to support their views either.

Personally, I've always been against appointing Gareth as manager, but felt that he was the only candidate for replacing Critchley & that he should be in place for next season whatever had happened.

Westy, in particular, goes on about how Wycombe did not play one dimensional & that we won't either. Well, from where I sit, the club that I detest most in the world, have played bullying, shithousing football for the whole of Ainsworth tenure!

I expect that we will play the same way & that I will hate it, but Queens Park Rangers is my club. I will be there supporting them despite your wish that I stop attending! If the four players you mention are still here next season, it will be because no other club is interested in them. That's not being detrimental to the players, but a statement about the clubs finances.

I do hope that in a few months I will be able to post that I was wrong & that Gareth has achieved all that you expected.
[Post edited 1 May 2023 10:47]

Snobbery is definitely only working one way here. So you are absolutely wrong there. I have a lot of admiration for the other style. Definitely don't look down on it in a snobbish way as you do in reverse

I think the way Burnley approached this season is great. If we had their budget I would prefer us to do the same in this league. Will also be interesting to see how they approach Man City away next season. Will they slow the game down or drop deeper I wonder

The number one most important for this club is results. Can we get out of this league. I see it as we are approaching games in a more pragmatic way. There will be great football as we spring counter attacks. Expect to see pace added and Armstrong to make an exciting impact in this team

As for evidence your honor... Ainsworth got Wycombe promoted twice. Outcompeting teams with far bigger budgets. That's a pretty big piece of evidence for you.

Not saying it will happen next year. But signs already are we can build and improve. Athletico Madrid are a team Ainsworth admires. Pragmatic with a nasty side but play beautiful football in a way not leaving us overexposed and year after year a top conceder of goals in the league thank fck

Wycombe under GA in 2023 averaged 43% possession. Only one of those games did a team have more shots on target than them. That was against Sheffield Wednesday when they had 52% possession and lost

The recent very low percentages are a more extreme version as secured our survival and greatly tightened up a defence that has conceded the most goals in the league

Reminds me of Warnocks short stint here post Ramsey where that's exactly what he did. Clean sheets to build a base. Get results and rebuild confidence

All evidence is we will be a team that averages around the 40% possession mark. Probably higher 40's will be our average as we have better players than Wycombe. If that's coupled with reducing our goals conceded per season by 20 odd goals then it isn't as bad as you doom mongers fear

As for the sh*thousing comment. If a QPR player does something that helps us. Then I am all for it

It's the refs job to manage it. If it disrupts there flow. Squeezes us extra points. That could in team help secure us a play off or promotion spot

Don't pretend you have a magic solution for a team with our budget to play like prime Barcelona and do well.

More fitting is you are happy with us being mediocre but playing "the right way"

No, we need to embrace teams hating playing us as we achieve success in playing our way

If football snobs are wanting it all to go wrong and can't enjoy us picking up more results then that can harm us as a club

One thing I absolutely hate are people who bring problems but don't bring solutions. You will never get anywhere in life with that attitude

There is no guaranteed right method. But Ainsworth has proven he can do it. So for me the best thing the fan base can do is embrace his style

Unless you are suggesting we sack him now? If not then it's on us fans to embrace our style. 40 odd percent possession isn't going to be that bad if we are winning more games and conceding less goals
[Post edited 1 May 2023 14:35]
Login to get fewer ads

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 14:34 - May 1 with 1738 viewsSakura

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 13:59 - May 1 by nadera78

There's some sanctimonious claptrap on this thread and others.

Brilliant post. Really useful input
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 14:46 - May 1 with 1730 viewsWatfordR

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 14:31 - May 1 by Sakura

Snobbery is definitely only working one way here. So you are absolutely wrong there. I have a lot of admiration for the other style. Definitely don't look down on it in a snobbish way as you do in reverse

I think the way Burnley approached this season is great. If we had their budget I would prefer us to do the same in this league. Will also be interesting to see how they approach Man City away next season. Will they slow the game down or drop deeper I wonder

The number one most important for this club is results. Can we get out of this league. I see it as we are approaching games in a more pragmatic way. There will be great football as we spring counter attacks. Expect to see pace added and Armstrong to make an exciting impact in this team

As for evidence your honor... Ainsworth got Wycombe promoted twice. Outcompeting teams with far bigger budgets. That's a pretty big piece of evidence for you.

Not saying it will happen next year. But signs already are we can build and improve. Athletico Madrid are a team Ainsworth admires. Pragmatic with a nasty side but play beautiful football in a way not leaving us overexposed and year after year a top conceder of goals in the league thank fck

Wycombe under GA in 2023 averaged 43% possession. Only one of those games did a team have more shots on target than them. That was against Sheffield Wednesday when they had 52% possession and lost

The recent very low percentages are a more extreme version as secured our survival and greatly tightened up a defence that has conceded the most goals in the league

Reminds me of Warnocks short stint here post Ramsey where that's exactly what he did. Clean sheets to build a base. Get results and rebuild confidence

All evidence is we will be a team that averages around the 40% possession mark. Probably higher 40's will be our average as we have better players than Wycombe. If that's coupled with reducing our goals conceded per season by 20 odd goals then it isn't as bad as you doom mongers fear

As for the sh*thousing comment. If a QPR player does something that helps us. Then I am all for it

It's the refs job to manage it. If it disrupts there flow. Squeezes us extra points. That could in team help secure us a play off or promotion spot

Don't pretend you have a magic solution for a team with our budget to play like prime Barcelona and do well.

More fitting is you are happy with us being mediocre but playing "the right way"

No, we need to embrace teams hating playing us as we achieve success in playing our way

If football snobs are wanting it all to go wrong and can't enjoy us picking up more results then that can harm us as a club

One thing I absolutely hate are people who bring problems but don't bring solutions. You will never get anywhere in life with that attitude

There is no guaranteed right method. But Ainsworth has proven he can do it. So for me the best thing the fan base can do is embrace his style

Unless you are suggesting we sack him now? If not then it's on us fans to embrace our style. 40 odd percent possession isn't going to be that bad if we are winning more games and conceding less goals
[Post edited 1 May 2023 14:35]

Where is the the evidence that GA has managed to get a team to average 40% possession in a season in the Championship?

Where is the proof that GA can produce the "right method" in the Championship?

He has managed a club in the Championship for one season, at the end of which they were relegated.

Would you expect a team going up from the Championship to the Prem to average the same levels of possession in the Prem? Is it reasonable to assume that you can get a manager who achieves a certain level of possession or success in League One to replicate that success in the Championship? Are any of the teams promoted from League One to the Championship this season getting the same or better levels of possession in the Championship?

If you're talking about evidence or proof they are the sort of stats you need to be presenting rather than generalisations presented as facts.
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 14:53 - May 1 with 1703 viewsted_hendrix

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 08:23 - May 1 by Sakura

You're best off staying away.

We're going to need fans who are committed and understanding of our approach next season. Negative energy in the stands will hinder us

Posts that begin a sentence with "I'm not a football snob". Remind me of someone starting a sentence with "I'm not a rascist but..."

I'm personally very optimistic for next season. It doesn't take much too do well in this league. No reason for us to fear the teams pushing for playoff places like Millwall, Luton, Sunderland and Coventry who next year likely won't have Gyokeres

With Field, Chair, Dieng, Paal, we have a core that would walk into most other teams in the league.

With Dunne and Dickie playing to their strengths now. The team deep without the ball and in shape suits Dickie especially with his lack of pace. I see a lot more clean sheets next season for us

JCS almost written off but if they could do with him what they have done with Field and turned an injury prone player into one who starts literally every game we would have better defensive options than most the teams currently sitting in the playoff places

And with Willock, a summer to get confidence in his hamstrings again. Get him going again and we have one of the leagues best players back

If the pessimists, negative, not football snobs but... types stay away then I'm happy with that

We need to be a gritty nasty team next season. But a pragmatic and effective one who could surprise quite a few I believe

**Posts that begin a sentence with "I'm not a football snob". Remind me of someone starting a sentence with "I'm not a rascist but..."**

I'm not quite understanding this comment? as someone who's blood Family has suffered dreadful racism In the past I'd like you to please clarify why you have raised the racist subject?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 14:54 - May 1 with 1706 viewsE15Hoop

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 14:34 - May 1 by Sakura

Brilliant post. Really useful input

Well said Saks - perhaps we should also point out that posting a response like that, without offering any kind of explanation is, in itself, a tad sanctimonious..
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 15:00 - May 1 with 1693 viewsE15Hoop

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 14:53 - May 1 by ted_hendrix

**Posts that begin a sentence with "I'm not a football snob". Remind me of someone starting a sentence with "I'm not a rascist but..."**

I'm not quite understanding this comment? as someone who's blood Family has suffered dreadful racism In the past I'd like you to please clarify why you have raised the racist subject?

I understand what he meant, Ted. In the context of what he was trying to say, he could as just as easily have said "I've got nothing against fat people, but,.." or "I've got nothing against people who vote Labour, but.."
He was trying to say that this is a line used by people who say one thing and then make a whole bunch of statements that show that this is exactly how they DO think. I don't think he was trying to say that anyone on this site was being racist per se.
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 17:26 - May 1 with 1485 viewsSakura

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 14:46 - May 1 by WatfordR

Where is the the evidence that GA has managed to get a team to average 40% possession in a season in the Championship?

Where is the proof that GA can produce the "right method" in the Championship?

He has managed a club in the Championship for one season, at the end of which they were relegated.

Would you expect a team going up from the Championship to the Prem to average the same levels of possession in the Prem? Is it reasonable to assume that you can get a manager who achieves a certain level of possession or success in League One to replicate that success in the Championship? Are any of the teams promoted from League One to the Championship this season getting the same or better levels of possession in the Championship?

If you're talking about evidence or proof they are the sort of stats you need to be presenting rather than generalisations presented as facts.

This is a very strange post in that the question all seems to be from the assumptions that:
- the Wycombe team Ainsworth had were comparable with the squad he has here and will have next season. As if our team isn't miles better?!
- finishing 1 point behind Derby side who bent or outright broke quite a few rules that season wasn't at least Par for what was expected from that squad

For your post to make sense it would need to be based on Wycombes season finishing one point off safety in the Championship being a massive underachievement for what was expected of them

Then now for the facts you asked for Wycombe's average possession that Championship was... 40% exactly

https://fbref.com/en/squads/43c2583e/2020-2021/matchlogs/c10/possession/Wycombe-

So it's reasonable to assume we shouldn't expect our squad with a massive amount more resources than he had under Wycombe won't be any worse and if anything you would expect it to be better as our team is miles better than his Wycombe team

Keeping clean sheets. Being strong on set pieces as his teams have a reputation for but then add to that the quality in the team like the peach of a cross that Chair whipped onto Dykes' head at West Brom certainly has a prospect of working.

A successful transfer window and a good preseason means I can see us pushing on and improving further.

Confidence and momentum can build in a positive direction next year rather than the reverse effect it had on us this year

We could just do without a section of the fan base itching for it to go wrong.

It definitely could go wrong. With our budget it's possible. But let's get behind the team

And if you're going to bring problems make sure you also bring solutions
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 17:28 - May 1 with 1474 viewsSakura

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 15:00 - May 1 by E15Hoop

I understand what he meant, Ted. In the context of what he was trying to say, he could as just as easily have said "I've got nothing against fat people, but,.." or "I've got nothing against people who vote Labour, but.."
He was trying to say that this is a line used by people who say one thing and then make a whole bunch of statements that show that this is exactly how they DO think. I don't think he was trying to say that anyone on this site was being racist per se.

Cheers E15

Ted knew that too but as he couldn’t take the discussion points head on it was easier to lob in an unjustified smear
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 17:56 - May 1 with 1431 viewsRangersw12

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 17:26 - May 1 by Sakura

This is a very strange post in that the question all seems to be from the assumptions that:
- the Wycombe team Ainsworth had were comparable with the squad he has here and will have next season. As if our team isn't miles better?!
- finishing 1 point behind Derby side who bent or outright broke quite a few rules that season wasn't at least Par for what was expected from that squad

For your post to make sense it would need to be based on Wycombes season finishing one point off safety in the Championship being a massive underachievement for what was expected of them

Then now for the facts you asked for Wycombe's average possession that Championship was... 40% exactly

https://fbref.com/en/squads/43c2583e/2020-2021/matchlogs/c10/possession/Wycombe-

So it's reasonable to assume we shouldn't expect our squad with a massive amount more resources than he had under Wycombe won't be any worse and if anything you would expect it to be better as our team is miles better than his Wycombe team

Keeping clean sheets. Being strong on set pieces as his teams have a reputation for but then add to that the quality in the team like the peach of a cross that Chair whipped onto Dykes' head at West Brom certainly has a prospect of working.

A successful transfer window and a good preseason means I can see us pushing on and improving further.

Confidence and momentum can build in a positive direction next year rather than the reverse effect it had on us this year

It definitely could go wrong. With our budget it's possible. But let's get behind the team

Nobody is wishing it all goes wrong at all

What I have seen since GA arrived is some of the worst football in the 30 plus years I've been going and I'm quite rightly very sceptical he's suddenly to going to abandon his core long ball principles next season.

I really enjoyed the Warburton years as we had an identity and I knew that we at least tried to play decent football even if the results were mixed at times and I admit it did get boring the last few weeks when they just tapped round it the back four but for me the majority of the time it was pleasing on the eye.

I'm also sceptical allowing GA to sign who he wants as that doesn't work here ( we've seen it with Beale and Warburton signings) and that we will see more older journeyman type players I. E Chris Martin ffs

I've spent a small fortune every season following Rangers and if I want to say the football is crap then I will and I don't need you or anyone else to say I'm not welcome because you and others on this thread seem to have played too much football manager and think GA is the second coming of Gerry Francis.
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 18:34 - May 1 with 1351 viewsE15Hoop

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 17:56 - May 1 by Rangersw12

Nobody is wishing it all goes wrong at all

What I have seen since GA arrived is some of the worst football in the 30 plus years I've been going and I'm quite rightly very sceptical he's suddenly to going to abandon his core long ball principles next season.

I really enjoyed the Warburton years as we had an identity and I knew that we at least tried to play decent football even if the results were mixed at times and I admit it did get boring the last few weeks when they just tapped round it the back four but for me the majority of the time it was pleasing on the eye.

I'm also sceptical allowing GA to sign who he wants as that doesn't work here ( we've seen it with Beale and Warburton signings) and that we will see more older journeyman type players I. E Chris Martin ffs

I've spent a small fortune every season following Rangers and if I want to say the football is crap then I will and I don't need you or anyone else to say I'm not welcome because you and others on this thread seem to have played too much football manager and think GA is the second coming of Gerry Francis.

I just watched the full 90 minutes of the Stoke game, and I don't get all this "worst football I've seen in 30 years" point at all. I've found these last 5 games where we've finally hit upon a system and approach that works actually pretty watchable, and against Stoke, it looked to me that we were well organised defensively, and worked the ball through the midfield and down the wings actually quite nicely.
I didn't notice any real difference between this approach and what we were doing under Warburton in particular, with the one exception being that we didn't fart around at the back. However, it wasn't all long ball and hoofball - we used some short passing combinations between Paal, Lowe, Dykes, Chair, Lowe, Iroegbunam and Laird to good effect, I thought.
When we were out of possession, we were generally a fair bit higher up the pitch than we were at Burnley, and whilst we were out of possession a fair amount, we were strong and resolute, and Stoke only had a handful of chances, which apart from a couple really didn't look threatening at all.
Granted the match is unlikely to make it on to a "Season's Best", but I wasn't bored or stressed in any way - it just looked like a slightly better than average Championship match to me.
Our shape was good, and we created a handful of good chances. I can't see where the anti-GA brigade are getting their ammunition from.
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 18:35 - May 1 with 1347 viewsQPRcounsellor

Sakura is talking massive sense here.

I for one have very much enjoyed your posts, cheers.
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 18:48 - May 1 with 1318 viewsRangersw12

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 18:34 - May 1 by E15Hoop

I just watched the full 90 minutes of the Stoke game, and I don't get all this "worst football I've seen in 30 years" point at all. I've found these last 5 games where we've finally hit upon a system and approach that works actually pretty watchable, and against Stoke, it looked to me that we were well organised defensively, and worked the ball through the midfield and down the wings actually quite nicely.
I didn't notice any real difference between this approach and what we were doing under Warburton in particular, with the one exception being that we didn't fart around at the back. However, it wasn't all long ball and hoofball - we used some short passing combinations between Paal, Lowe, Dykes, Chair, Lowe, Iroegbunam and Laird to good effect, I thought.
When we were out of possession, we were generally a fair bit higher up the pitch than we were at Burnley, and whilst we were out of possession a fair amount, we were strong and resolute, and Stoke only had a handful of chances, which apart from a couple really didn't look threatening at all.
Granted the match is unlikely to make it on to a "Season's Best", but I wasn't bored or stressed in any way - it just looked like a slightly better than average Championship match to me.
Our shape was good, and we created a handful of good chances. I can't see where the anti-GA brigade are getting their ammunition from.

For a start Stoke were crap and on the beach and we made it hard work but rewatch the Blackburn , Birmingham , Blackpool , Coventry , Preston , Wigan and Rotherham games and you will see what I'm on about....

As for the last few games then we have been very fortunate in most of them and only WBA where I felt we looked better and that was because we actually passed the ball about a bit.

Boring defensive football with 18% possession isn't watchable IMO
[Post edited 1 May 2023 18:53]
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 18:54 - May 1 with 1303 viewsRangersw12

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 18:35 - May 1 by QPRcounsellor

Sakura is talking massive sense here.

I for one have very much enjoyed your posts, cheers.

Talking to yourself now Sakura..................
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 19:00 - May 1 with 1294 viewsE15Hoop

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 18:48 - May 1 by Rangersw12

For a start Stoke were crap and on the beach and we made it hard work but rewatch the Blackburn , Birmingham , Blackpool , Coventry , Preston , Wigan and Rotherham games and you will see what I'm on about....

As for the last few games then we have been very fortunate in most of them and only WBA where I felt we looked better and that was because we actually passed the ball about a bit.

Boring defensive football with 18% possession isn't watchable IMO
[Post edited 1 May 2023 18:53]

I made specific reference to the last 5 games, rather than all those that went before it, because I think you have to give GA and RD credit at least for having found a workable solution to the problems that they were facing.
As for Stoke specifically, pretty much all the possession they had was in front of Rangers, which made them into a low rent version of Swansea.
I'm sorry that you were bored, but if you were bored by that, then Championship football for you in general is going to be a pretty miserable experience for the most part, it seems to me, regardless of who's playing who, as that looked like a pretty standard Championship game to me.
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 19:10 - May 1 with 1267 viewsWatfordR

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 17:26 - May 1 by Sakura

You are saying that Ainsworth can do "it", whatever "it" is. I'm saying that he has spent one full season in a Championship, with a team that got relegated, fourth lowest goals for, second most goals against. And that was with a team that was indisputably his team.

We could perhaps compare his achievements at Wycombe with those of Martin O'Neill, who took them into the EFL in 1993, into the third tier in 1994, and sixth in the second tier in 1995. All at a club which would have had far lower expectations then than they do now.

There is literally nothing on GA's CV that suggests he is going to take this club forward. He might be able to keep us in the Championship with a full season, he might not. Our old friend 16th is likely to be an "incredible achievement", and every season that is the extent of the club's ambition is another season spent going backwards.

If you think this is me itching for it to go wrong, you're a mile off. This is me wanting the very best for our club, and simply recognising that GA as manager isn't it. Have a look at the names of some of the very calm and rational posters on here that are saying the same. If you see a cliff right in front of you, you don't have to drive your car off it to know what's going to happen if you do.
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 19:13 - May 1 with 1248 viewsRangersw12

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 19:00 - May 1 by E15Hoop

I made specific reference to the last 5 games, rather than all those that went before it, because I think you have to give GA and RD credit at least for having found a workable solution to the problems that they were facing.
As for Stoke specifically, pretty much all the possession they had was in front of Rangers, which made them into a low rent version of Swansea.
I'm sorry that you were bored, but if you were bored by that, then Championship football for you in general is going to be a pretty miserable experience for the most part, it seems to me, regardless of who's playing who, as that looked like a pretty standard Championship game to me.

Coventry was in the last 5 games !!

For me we seem to be ok against disinterested teams but soon as teams match us for hard work we then get taken apart . Even one of the wins Burnley should have been 3 up at HT.
[Post edited 1 May 2023 20:08]
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 19:14 - May 1 with 1241 viewsdistortR

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 11:37 - May 1 by ozranger

Perhaps I am naive or stupid, but I hear this a lot when talking about the squad. What has Lee Hoos got to do with the picking of who is in the academy or who is in the squad? That somewhat has me dumbfounded.

I see Hoos as someone, in the case of a football team, having to make ends meet. He is told by those around him that this is what we want to spend and he needs to work out how we can fit that within the budget and what needs to be moved, financially talking, from one pot to another to accommodate such a consideration. I remember when watching a film, The Draft, when one person was constantly looking at the financial side of trades and draft picks in the NFL and how they can alter the books to accomodate such moves. They had no say in who was bought or sold or who would be in an academy or similar in the NFL, just to state that it can or cannot be done within the constraints of the overall club budget and finances. Thus, I simply see Lee Hoos position as one who needs to reorganise the financial model of QPR each time those around him make requests and not, and I repeat not, have anything at all to do with choosing who should be in those squads.

If I am wrong about this, then please explain clearly for me and everyone else and with some concrete proof as well and not any conjecture.

Please note, I am not defending him, just clarifying what his actual role at QPR is.

Northern Hears A Hoos!
Bittersweet symphony — Report on 19:18 - May 1 with 1206 viewsdistortR

Bittersweet symphony — Report on 17:28 - May 1 by Sakura

Cheers E15

Ted knew that too but as he couldn’t take the discussion points head on it was easier to lob in an unjustified smear

Well, maybe don't use such a stupid metaphor, but I reckon you got the response you wanted.
There are some really divisive posters on here at the moment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024