Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat 13:20 - Aug 4 with 2208 viewsdurham_exile

This weekend sees the start of another league season in League Two which we have now experienced since 2016. Much has been made of the fact that it will be a competitive season but in truth every season is. Four teams will achieve promotion and two relegation to the National League.

Colchester had a clear out at the end of last season and those changes have been well publicised.

Tony Humes left the club in the most low-key announcement and few will mourn his departure.

The following arrivals to the JCS will all add to the quality of the team:

Owen Goodman (loan)
Ellis Iandolo
Mauro Bandeira (loan)
Tom Smith
Nico Lawrence (loan)

The loss of Ossama Ashley to Salford was a blow, however.

Currently the “will he, won’t he” saga with Junior Tchamadeu and Stoke City is unsettling. Junior played last week against Orient and clearly Stoke are reluctant to meet our £1.5m valuation. The potential proceeds from this sale are going to fund two new signings one of whom might be Macca Bonne who trains with Gillingham, but his wage demands are prohibitive.

We are still striker light and have until 31 August to sort this out. Everyone knows you can’t win the league in August but it is 9 games since we last won an opening day fixture and we are notorious for slow starts which we can ill afford if the top seven is the aim for this season.

I have been banging on about Devante Rodney (from Rochdale) but that seems as likely as being struck by lightning! Non-league Rochdale have just signed James Norwood on a two-year deal. Norwood is a greatly experienced striker who could fire them to promotion.

Anyway, we will see what happens but even Wrexham are finding it difficult to sign a new striker now that Mullin has injured himself in pre-season.

Our squad with numbers is as follows:
Squad 2023-24

1 Owen Goodman
2 William Greenidge
3 Ellis Iandolo
4 Fiacre Kelleher
5 Connor Hall
6 Tom Dallison
7 Matt Jay
8 Mauro Bandeira
9 Samson Tovide
10 Noah Chilvers
12 Tom Smith
14 Tom Hopper
16 Arthur Read
19 Alex Newby
21 Gene Kennedy
22 Junior Tchamadeu
23 Nico Lawrence
24 John Akinde
28 Ronny Nelson
29 Sam Hornby
30 Al-Amin Kazeem
31 Donell Thomas
32 Jake Hutchinson
33 Marley Marshall-Miranda
34 Kennedy Mupomba
35 Archie Oliver
36 Matt Yates
37 Chay Cooper
38 Jet Dyer
39 Ryan Lowe
40 Frankie Terry – on loan
41 Kaleel Green
42 Jayden Fevrier
43 Harry Beadle
44 Ted Collins
45 Talzo Marcel Dilayer
46 Bayan Aman
47 Oscar Thorn
48 Bradley Ihiovien
49 Taykaan Bennett

Realistically the 40 names include the U21 players but includes the promising Ryan Lowe among others.

Michael Flynn is the new manager at Swindon and the Robins have signed Dan Kemp (who was on loan at Hartlepool last season) and who is an excellent midfield player.

BG favours a 3,5,2 formation and I reckon he will line up as follows on Saturday:

Smith

Lawrence Hall Dallison

Tchamadeu Bandeira Chilvers Read Iandolo

Akinde Tovide

Subs
Goodman Jay Newby Hooper Kazeem Miranda Ihiovien

The Goalkeeper situation is an embarrassment of riches with four on the books but Smith is the best bar none. Fiacre Kelleher, sadly injured, would always be in my defence and will return when fit.

Newby would replace Junior when he finally leaves and if we could re-sign Macca Bonne then he would partner Samson Tovide as an impressive striking duo.

A lot is expected of Tovide this season and I expect him to score a brace in a 2-0 opening day win on Saturday.

Weather is likely to be wet with up to 70% precipitation and 17 degrees Celsius.

Regardless of what Richie Wellens thinks our pitch looks good and hopefully will drain well after the deluge that we have experienced recently.

Once again the start of a new season brings an outpouring of optimism and I have to admit that I have wagered a small amount of money on Colchester achieving promotion this season.

Enjoy the game tomorrow.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 14:05]

Durham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 08:31 - Aug 5 with 2037 viewswessex_exile

Excellent stuff as ever Durham. Jon Waldron tweeted yesterday that he expected two more signings in the next 24-48 hours, and another U’s account I follow hinted at the identities of five forwards who we are looking at (a mix of loans and freebies), but no Richard Kone unfortunately.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 11:53 - Aug 5 with 1960 viewsburnsieespana

Not lost your touch Duham in the cost season even though we still need a striker! I do wonder if a signing will be announced at today's game as been a few hints recently we are close to a couple of signings.
Come on Colchester give us something to cheer about!
Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 11:57 - Aug 5 with 1958 viewsWitham

Let's be optimistic and hope that the strikers we have, all of whom have the skills, demonstrate their abilities today.
Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:08 - Aug 5 with 1927 viewsdurham_exile

Team

Lawrence Hall Dallison

Tovide Hopper

Subs
Hornby Greenidge Jay Akinde Kazeem Fevrier Ihionvien

Up the U's
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 14:13]

Durham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:19 - Aug 5 with 1907 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:08 - Aug 5 by durham_exile

Team

Lawrence Hall Dallison

Tovide Hopper

Subs

Up the U's
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 14:13]

A bold approach, playing without a keeper

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:22 - Aug 5 with 1903 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:19 - Aug 5 by wessex_exile

A bold approach, playing without a keeper

Sorry Wessex

I was staggered not to see Smith in Goal hence I overlooked Goodman

Durham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:24 - Aug 5 with 1899 viewswessex_exile

2.30 pitch inspection called for :-(

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:30 - Aug 5 with 1890 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:24 - Aug 5 by wessex_exile

2.30 pitch inspection called for :-(

Looks like it might be off :-(

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:40 - Aug 5 with 1882 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:30 - Aug 5 by wessex_exile

Looks like it might be off :-(

Definitely off ☹️

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:46 - Aug 5 with 1878 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:40 - Aug 5 by wessex_exile

Definitely off ☹️

Desperate news.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:50 - Aug 5 with 1872 viewsLeadbelly

Not surprised the game has been postponed. The pitch doesn’t seem to do well when dealing with heavy rain and the weather has been horrendous for the last few days.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 15:02 - Aug 5 with 1852 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:50 - Aug 5 by Leadbelly

Not surprised the game has been postponed. The pitch doesn’t seem to do well when dealing with heavy rain and the weather has been horrendous for the last few days.

I think it was the deluge in the last hour or so that did for it. Seen a video posted about 1.30 that claimed the referee thought the pitch was perfectly playable then.

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 15:09 - Aug 5 with 1844 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 15:02 - Aug 5 by wessex_exile

I think it was the deluge in the last hour or so that did for it. Seen a video posted about 1.30 that claimed the referee thought the pitch was perfectly playable then.

Colchester sub aqua club training at the JCS.

So disappointing to be called off at 2:40.

Durham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 15:12 - Aug 5 with 1842 viewswessex_exile

In other news, Planet Hollywood are already 2-0 down to MK Dons.

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 15:16 - Aug 5 with 1839 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 15:12 - Aug 5 by wessex_exile

In other news, Planet Hollywood are already 2-0 down to MK Dons.

QPR, Wycombe and Wrexham all losing so not all bad today.

Durham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 15:30 - Aug 5 with 1825 viewsgerry_us

Mid table this evening me thinks; 0 points, 0 goal difference.
Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 16:03 - Aug 5 with 1789 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 15:30 - Aug 5 by gerry_us

Mid table this evening me thinks; 0 points, 0 goal difference.

...and undefeated!

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 16:29 - Aug 5 with 1761 viewswessex_exile

Now 3-1 to MK Dons - welcome to League 2 Wrexham :-)

Apparently, we made unwanted history today - the first time in the league's history that an opening day fixture has been called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 16:33 - Aug 5 with 1752 viewswessex_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 16:29 - Aug 5 by wessex_exile

Apparently, we made unwanted history today - the first time in the league's history that an opening day fixture has been called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Now 4-1, and t'other League 2 newbies Notts County also getting battered 3-0.

Edit: County now 4-0
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 16:34]

Up the U's

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 16:33 - Aug 5 with 1752 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 16:29 - Aug 5 by wessex_exile

Wrexham now 4-1 down.
Delighted to hear that

Wycombe and QPR also losing. Great stuff.

Up the undefeated U's

Durham_exile

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 23:32 - Aug 5 with 1600 viewsnoah4x4

Not surprised U’s game off. Castle Park tonight is like the Somme. Will hopefully get a reduced overs game in tomorrow, but unlikely to start on time.

However, Beer Festival was awesome tonight.
Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 07:32 - Aug 6 with 1559 viewsSparkfilmsTV

What an extraordinary start to the season....who would have thought that both Wrexham and Notts County would each concede five goals, that Colchester United wouldn't even play, that Junior would be in the U's starting line up and that Southend United would beat Oldham 4-0!

On top of that one of the bedroom ceilings came down here in CO1 in mid afternoon. Open plan vertical living for a while now.
Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 12:18 - Aug 7 with 1419 viewsbwildered

Team

Goodman
Lawrence Hall Dallison
Tovide Hopper

Subs

Interesting first XI, indications would be …
Goodman first choice
Greenidge cannot get in first Xl
Iandolo to be holding left side midfield ?
Hopper would be replaced with Akinde after 60 mins
New striker Taylor to become first choice ?

Thoughts …
[Post edited 7 Aug 2023 12:19]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 14:56 - Aug 7 with 1389 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Robins to be left red faced after opening day defeat on 12:18 - Aug 7 by bwildered

Team

Goodman
Lawrence Hall Dallison
Tovide Hopper

Subs

Interesting first XI, indications would be …
Goodman first choice
Greenidge cannot get in first Xl
Iandolo to be holding left side midfield ?
Hopper would be replaced with Akinde after 60 mins
New striker Taylor to become first choice ?

Thoughts …
[Post edited 7 Aug 2023 12:19]

It was pretty much as I expected although I thought it would be Akinde instead of Hopper.

- I think Goodman has to start, Palace didn't send him here to sit on the bench in League Two.
- I can't see Greenidge playing whilst Junior is still here not unless we switch to a back four anyway.
- Iandolo was always going to take up that left sided position whether it be in a back four or in front of a back three.
- More than likely given that he wasn't due to start.
- Not sure on that one but again I can't imagine Luton have sent him here to sit on the bench.

Did anyone see how they had us lining up on BBC Sport? Was laughable. Only had two or three people in the correct position and one of them was the keeper!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024