Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate 09:57 - Aug 23 with 11656 viewsMAK

On Saturday, for what was a fairly insignificant reason, in the first half of the match I needed the assistance of a Taurus steward. I waited until half time and went down to chat to the steward manning the Sandy/Wilbutts corner gate.

Unfortunately I made the stupid assumption that this steward, as he's looking after a main access point/emergency exit, would be of such a high standing that he'd easily sort out my minor problem. How wrong was I.

After I'd asked for him help, he looked at me in such a blank way, it was if one of us had just landed from Mars. This chap could neither understand nor speak a word of English. That's right, the steward Taurus has chosen to man an exit that hundreds of fans would have to pass through in an emergency, couldn't speak or understand English. If, God forbid, someone had a heart attack or similar at that end of the stand, he's the steward you're going to run to for help. The 30 seconds lost in trying explain to him what's going on could be the difference between life and death.

This isn't a dig at the stewards, it's a question why Taurus management would choose to put a particular steward in that particular role. He didn't even carry a radio. The nearest radio carrying Taurean could be found near the kiosk. Imagine if there was an emergency, trying to relay messages to the far end of the Sandy stand when the only radios are at the opposite end.

It's likely that those radio carriers are free to roam so this might not be an accurate portrayal of most of the match. However, it still doesn't look good. Thankfully my minor issue was sorted perfectly well at the end of the game.

While I'm at it, can anybody explain why that corner gate is now always shut? I know it's a couple of years since it was always open at the end of the match but it was so handy. I can understand if there's a huge away following and the powers that be see it as a possible place for trouble to flare up, but with 70 travelling fans last Saturday, surely it's time to consider occasionally opening it up again.
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 21:13 - Aug 23 with 4580 viewsRodingdale

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 20:54 - Aug 23 by 442Dale

The Trust do a lot of fine work. They also need the input and assistance of their members and all Dale supporters.

This happened four months ago. Things have now changed. Defined approaches need to be established.

There’s a meeting on Friday at 5.45pm. A time for all good people to attend.

I’d love to attend but Friday evenings and midweek forums are less than ideal for exiles. In any case the leadership of the Trust set the agenda. If I were there I’d be asking the trust to canvas opinion on a no confidence vote - in the boards stewardship of RAFC. I’d be very happy to pen the in favour case. The current board, day by day, minute by minute are devaluaing our club. Individually we can’t do anything - collectively we can. I’m sorry - there seems to be a lot of sympathy for Murray - but given the hammering the board got at the forum - what a great opportunity it was for him to say he’d heard the sentiment and would endeavour to hold the board to account. He said nothing. The trust is a mouse. We need a lion.
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 21:31 - Aug 23 with 4511 views442Dale

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 21:13 - Aug 23 by Rodingdale

I’d love to attend but Friday evenings and midweek forums are less than ideal for exiles. In any case the leadership of the Trust set the agenda. If I were there I’d be asking the trust to canvas opinion on a no confidence vote - in the boards stewardship of RAFC. I’d be very happy to pen the in favour case. The current board, day by day, minute by minute are devaluaing our club. Individually we can’t do anything - collectively we can. I’m sorry - there seems to be a lot of sympathy for Murray - but given the hammering the board got at the forum - what a great opportunity it was for him to say he’d heard the sentiment and would endeavour to hold the board to account. He said nothing. The trust is a mouse. We need a lion.

Would suggest, if you haven’t already, that you contact the Trust directly with any views and ask them be added to the agenda under AOB for Friday. The leadership of the Trust may have set that agenda, and to their credit it’s good that they have and facilitated a meeting, but each one of the current agenda items illustrates the need for visible action. Plus AOB is just that, so please contact them and let us know if you have so those attend know ahead of the meeting.

Separate from that, there is a real opportunity for the Trust to clarify their position under various scenarios. By working with supporters this can be easily achievable and not something that will require input or action from the club - waiting for that has already proven to be frustrating and seen supporters lose faith in what impact we can all have.

Let’s look at controlling what we can for now and that’s ourselves as a fanbase.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 22:00 - Aug 23 with 4469 viewsTyroneShoelaces

It’s all well and good penning a motion to remove the current Board,
But who will put themselves forward to take over ?. As Knight said at the
EGM he’d be quite happy to sit and ask questions rather than being asked
them.
If you or others want to pick up the sh-tty end of a stick then go for it.
The no confidence vote removed Botters and Rawlinson so it can remove
Gauge and Co
From what I’ve heard from Knight he’s done all he can (or wants to)
He seems straight talking but unfortunately seems to be Gauges puppet.
As for Murray I think he’s in tough position. Expected to represent the
fans but hamstrung by being a Director and all that entails
Wouldn’t want any of those 3’s positions just now
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 22:05 - Aug 23 with 4461 viewsTalkingSutty

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 21:31 - Aug 23 by 442Dale

Would suggest, if you haven’t already, that you contact the Trust directly with any views and ask them be added to the agenda under AOB for Friday. The leadership of the Trust may have set that agenda, and to their credit it’s good that they have and facilitated a meeting, but each one of the current agenda items illustrates the need for visible action. Plus AOB is just that, so please contact them and let us know if you have so those attend know ahead of the meeting.

Separate from that, there is a real opportunity for the Trust to clarify their position under various scenarios. By working with supporters this can be easily achievable and not something that will require input or action from the club - waiting for that has already proven to be frustrating and seen supporters lose faith in what impact we can all have.

Let’s look at controlling what we can for now and that’s ourselves as a fanbase.

To be honest I'm not sure what the fans can control under this current regime. We can continue to support the team and ask questions of those in the Boardroom but we can't do much else. We can't start setting up a new lottery or interfering in the day to day running of the club, we can't take over the club shop or do anything really unless invited in...and that's not going to happen. We can try to raise money to purchase more shares for the Trust but they are already the major shareholder and have very little influence or any real voice, so what's the point in keep buying the shares if they are unable to protect the club? What Simon says goes and when the Trust is the major shareholder of a fan owned club then how has that situation been allowed to happen?

The dynamics of our fan owned club changed the moment the MH shares were purchased by the current board. Almost instantaneously they put the club up for sale without consulting anybody..and importantly, without any concerted effort to run the club in the manner that they had proposed to do. That's when the Trust and shareholders should have stepped in, it's what you would have expected to happen at a fan owned club. Having said that, the overwhelming majority of Trust members voted in favour of what the Chairman and Directors proposed. So in a way maybe as a fan base we are now reaping what we sow and have facilitated the decline of the club by supporting a board who have been solely focused on finding a investor, rather than being fully engaged in running the club properly and engaging with the supporters.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2023 22:17]
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 22:19 - Aug 23 with 4401 views442Dale

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 22:05 - Aug 23 by TalkingSutty

To be honest I'm not sure what the fans can control under this current regime. We can continue to support the team and ask questions of those in the Boardroom but we can't do much else. We can't start setting up a new lottery or interfering in the day to day running of the club, we can't take over the club shop or do anything really unless invited in...and that's not going to happen. We can try to raise money to purchase more shares for the Trust but they are already the major shareholder and have very little influence or any real voice, so what's the point in keep buying the shares if they are unable to protect the club? What Simon says goes and when the Trust is the major shareholder of a fan owned club then how has that situation been allowed to happen?

The dynamics of our fan owned club changed the moment the MH shares were purchased by the current board. Almost instantaneously they put the club up for sale without consulting anybody..and importantly, without any concerted effort to run the club in the manner that they had proposed to do. That's when the Trust and shareholders should have stepped in, it's what you would have expected to happen at a fan owned club. Having said that, the overwhelming majority of Trust members voted in favour of what the Chairman and Directors proposed. So in a way maybe as a fan base we are now reaping what we sow and have facilitated the decline of the club by supporting a board who have been solely focused on finding a investor, rather than being fully engaged in running the club properly and engaging with the supporters.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2023 22:17]

It’s about exactly that.

Establishing what we and the Trust can do in various scenarios. The share issue being a great example of this. Establish if buying more is worthwhile or whether funds will be better saved as part of contingency planning for the future.

We can’t keep discussing this amongst ourselves on here or individually with the Trust or others. It’s the definition of the lip service that many deny but is obviously what we all can see.
A defined approach that at least allows people to understand what we can do. Not guessing at what we can’t. This does not need to have any involvement from the club.

It was pleasing to see an immediate reaction to do just this after the EGM. It needs formulating and that’s what the Trust and their meetings give the opportunity to do. We can only control our own actions going forward, we can’t change the past.

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 22:49 - Aug 23 with 4330 viewsTalkingSutty

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 22:19 - Aug 23 by 442Dale

It’s about exactly that.

Establishing what we and the Trust can do in various scenarios. The share issue being a great example of this. Establish if buying more is worthwhile or whether funds will be better saved as part of contingency planning for the future.

We can’t keep discussing this amongst ourselves on here or individually with the Trust or others. It’s the definition of the lip service that many deny but is obviously what we all can see.
A defined approach that at least allows people to understand what we can do. Not guessing at what we can’t. This does not need to have any involvement from the club.

It was pleasing to see an immediate reaction to do just this after the EGM. It needs formulating and that’s what the Trust and their meetings give the opportunity to do. We can only control our own actions going forward, we can’t change the past.

Very true. I'll try to make the meeting on Friday but my interest is more on us all coming together and discussing all the different scenarios going forward, being pro- active rather than reactive.

What happens if a investor isn't found? What happens if one is found but its obviously not the right one? The Chairman can speak all he wants about liquidation but that doesn't mean as a fan base and shareholders we will be accepting that, he can forget that happening straight away. Life long fans won't just accept losing the club he should know that.

These are the type of things that i think as a Trust and concerned supporters we should be speaking about. The Trust can't do this on their own, it's too big for them. I think we need to get a group of supporters to work hand in hand with the Trust Committee and start trying to formulise some sort of strategy should the sh*t look like hitting the fan. A plan that would involve various agencies, the type of plan which we used to good effect to fight off MH. Utilise the media, social media Councillors, FA, Community Trust, RMBC, Supporters Groups etc.

Fingers crossed any plan won't need to be implemented but even if it doesn't we could then fine tune it and moth ball it should we ever have to use it again. So this sort of contingency planning wouldn't be time wasted. Maybe a dozen fans all with different skills and ideas meeting with a few Trust reps every month or so would be a start. The Trust could drive this themselves and invite a group of fans to help with the project. It would have to be done in conjunction with the Trust anyway. At the moment we are just accepting of the situation when we shouldn't be.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2023 23:09]
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 23:08 - Aug 23 with 4282 views442Dale

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 22:49 - Aug 23 by TalkingSutty

Very true. I'll try to make the meeting on Friday but my interest is more on us all coming together and discussing all the different scenarios going forward, being pro- active rather than reactive.

What happens if a investor isn't found? What happens if one is found but its obviously not the right one? The Chairman can speak all he wants about liquidation but that doesn't mean as a fan base and shareholders we will be accepting that, he can forget that happening straight away. Life long fans won't just accept losing the club he should know that.

These are the type of things that i think as a Trust and concerned supporters we should be speaking about. The Trust can't do this on their own, it's too big for them. I think we need to get a group of supporters to work hand in hand with the Trust Committee and start trying to formulise some sort of strategy should the sh*t look like hitting the fan. A plan that would involve various agencies, the type of plan which we used to good effect to fight off MH. Utilise the media, social media Councillors, FA, Community Trust, RMBC, Supporters Groups etc.

Fingers crossed any plan won't need to be implemented but even if it doesn't we could then fine tune it and moth ball it should we ever have to use it again. So this sort of contingency planning wouldn't be time wasted. Maybe a dozen fans all with different skills and ideas meeting with a few Trust reps every month or so would be a start. The Trust could drive this themselves and invite a group of fans to help with the project. It would have to be done in conjunction with the Trust anyway. At the moment we are just accepting of the situation when we shouldn't be.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2023 23:09]

Some great points in there.

Your opening paragraph says it all and is a perfect starting point.

Hope to see you and anyone else reading on Friday!

Reminder: Ratcliffe Bar, 5.45pm.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2023 23:16]

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 07:16 - Aug 24 with 4144 viewsTalkingSutty

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 23:08 - Aug 23 by 442Dale

Some great points in there.

Your opening paragraph says it all and is a perfect starting point.

Hope to see you and anyone else reading on Friday!

Reminder: Ratcliffe Bar, 5.45pm.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2023 23:16]

I think that 5 45pm start and thirty minute window will hamper a lot of people attending the meeting, it's nobody's fault, just a bad time due to the Friday night fixture. You can't discuss much in 30 minutes anyway. Ideas can still be proposed by those in attendance though and hopefully there will be a update on the likelihood of investors emerging. There is still the option of contacting the Trust directly with any concerns or ideas, i will send them a email over the weekend regarding what i put in my previous post. If others on here think it might have some merit then maybe they might contact them also and volunteer to help formulate a plan. If the Trust or majority of fans don't see any real point in the suggestion then that's fair enough. Of course, all of this might have already been discussed by the Trust and there might already be a contingency plan in place should the worst case scenarios present itself. Supporters Trusts will know better than anybody the channels to go through should their clubs future ever be in jeopardy (ours is), enough of them have had to deal with that scenarios.. Swindon, Orient, Pompey, Charlton, Hereford, Darlington, Bolton, Southend and many more.There must be loads of help and first hand advice out there.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2023 7:38]
Login to get fewer ads

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 08:04 - Aug 24 with 4082 viewsjudd

Might I suggest that you email the Trust for your no confidence question to be included under AOB for Friday's meeting?

info@daletrust.co.uk

Poll: What is it to be then?

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 08:12 - Aug 24 with 4060 views442Dale

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 07:16 - Aug 24 by TalkingSutty

I think that 5 45pm start and thirty minute window will hamper a lot of people attending the meeting, it's nobody's fault, just a bad time due to the Friday night fixture. You can't discuss much in 30 minutes anyway. Ideas can still be proposed by those in attendance though and hopefully there will be a update on the likelihood of investors emerging. There is still the option of contacting the Trust directly with any concerns or ideas, i will send them a email over the weekend regarding what i put in my previous post. If others on here think it might have some merit then maybe they might contact them also and volunteer to help formulate a plan. If the Trust or majority of fans don't see any real point in the suggestion then that's fair enough. Of course, all of this might have already been discussed by the Trust and there might already be a contingency plan in place should the worst case scenarios present itself. Supporters Trusts will know better than anybody the channels to go through should their clubs future ever be in jeopardy (ours is), enough of them have had to deal with that scenarios.. Swindon, Orient, Pompey, Charlton, Hereford, Darlington, Bolton, Southend and many more.There must be loads of help and first hand advice out there.

If time or circumstances become an issue then there will be the option of arranging follow-up meetings ahead of forthcoming Saturday fixtures.

Friday will definitely be an opportunity for the Trust to listen to the concerns and ideas from supporters, with a full report appearing on their site afterwards detailing what was discussed and next steps.

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 10:43 - Aug 24 with 3911 viewsSandyman

Comments regarding stewarding were mentioned at the first Trust supporters meeting back in April:

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2023/04/report-from-first-supporters-meeting/
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 21:29 - Aug 25 with 3512 viewsMAK

Standing at the left hand corner of the Sandy tonight, it's clear that things have changed for the better at the gate. There's even a radio. If someone has read this thread and made those changes, thank you.
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 16:33 - Sep 2 with 3150 viewskel

Great to see a steward in an orange jacket (assume that means something senior to the yellow ones) directly looking at a bloke smoking in the pearl street stand and letting him get on with it. I’m bringing cans next game if it’s a free for all.
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 11:23 - Sep 3 with 2746 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 07:16 - Aug 24 by TalkingSutty

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in some areas regarding the figures but has anyone looked at the possibility of buying the board out and becoming fully fans owned? I don’t see any reason at all this could not be a legitimate possibility if done in the right way. I’m basing this on the trust being majority shareholders but I’m not sure if the exact figures.

Let’s assume we are now losing 15k a week, it may be that it’s less than that now but it seems a fair figure based on players who have gone that were big earners. Based on the figures we have for staff this can be trimmed, sure it may involve some upset people but we have to face reality and get to a sustainable position. I believe the catering is up for renewal so bring it in house, get the pies gravy peas bovril back and add a few other bits, it worked in the pat and nothing has changed. Give the option of adding a pie peas gravy and drink to the season ticket price and issue vouchers which will help in pre deciding the amount of things needed.

Get the lottery’s back in house, yes it’s going to take time but employ a consultant with experience at the club, even if it’s just to oversee things a day a week, and yes I can think of a few people ideal to do this.

Would CD come in as chairman and help the trust with the view to his shares being purchased in the future on a gradual basis with him remaining chairman? Remaining shares owned by the board could be purchased off gauge and co, again on a staggered basis with the option to sell if we get an investor, either way he gets his funds back.

So how many staff do we really need? Obviously CEO and other roles are necessary but there are so many part time or casual staff do we use? In the past we did a lot of these jobs as fans, has that changed? Would people sell programs or golden goal tickets or whatever for a free season ticket or entry? I expect so. If the trust asked for say £10 a month (or more if people wish) to be paid by direct debit to fund share purchases, that could be transferred to the payee in the future if they wished, would there be a decent uptake? I think there would be!

Finally it’s my belief that the fans as a whole have much more nous than the current board, here alone we have 1 or more person capable of understanding and communicating the legality’s and procedures required to run a football club and want to help. We have business owners, accountants, Financial advisors, HR specialists, recruitment consultants, catering managers, we cover every area there is between us. I would give my time and skills for free, as I’m sure many many others would in order to get the club back to where it should be.

I see no reason why this could not be done and everyone is happy!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 13:44 - Sep 30 with 2108 viewsStatzdale

Sorry if this appears as sour grapes because it absolutely is. I thinkbI have every right to be aggreived.

I was the senior steward on Sandy then Main between 2009 until myself and other loyal Dale stewards services were dispensed with in 2020 ( some may remember me? ). I like to think I had a brilliant rapport with the fantastic spectators on both of those stands as I worked with the supporters, not against them, being as accommodating ad possible on every occasion. I admit I messed up occasionally as im not perfect, nobody is, but I like to think I did a decent job.

If I was still there I would have had 29 seasons unbroken service. I still feel extremely bitter that after 25 seasons how I and my colleagues were treated and have never set foot in the ground since. I definately miss the supporters, many of whom became good friends.

I would go back in a heartbeat as a senior steward because I worked damned hard to gain supervisor status and Im not starting at the bottom again. As I miss the job, the place and mainly the fantastic supporters. To cap it all I lost my two Goldbond rounds also.

Reading the forums I may have blinkered vision but things have appeared to have got worse. Am I right??
[Post edited 30 Sep 2023 14:14]
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 13:48 - Oct 2 with 1672 viewsramsdale

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 16:33 - Sep 2 by kel

Great to see a steward in an orange jacket (assume that means something senior to the yellow ones) directly looking at a bloke smoking in the pearl street stand and letting him get on with it. I’m bringing cans next game if it’s a free for all.

It was quite the sight really.

I noticed him smoking right in front of the steward just after kick-off and then again after half time.

Somebody in front of me went to tell a steward, came back with the steward and then himself was removed from the ground on the grounds of the smoker and few of his other smoking cronies, whether true or not, referring to the person removed as a known "not on normal courtyard exercise" (if the myth is to be believed.)

The stewards seemed more interested in these unfounded claims than the actual banned act of smoking in a football ground which various stewards could see.
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 14:57 - Oct 2 with 1560 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 13:44 - Sep 30 by Statzdale

Sorry if this appears as sour grapes because it absolutely is. I thinkbI have every right to be aggreived.

I was the senior steward on Sandy then Main between 2009 until myself and other loyal Dale stewards services were dispensed with in 2020 ( some may remember me? ). I like to think I had a brilliant rapport with the fantastic spectators on both of those stands as I worked with the supporters, not against them, being as accommodating ad possible on every occasion. I admit I messed up occasionally as im not perfect, nobody is, but I like to think I did a decent job.

If I was still there I would have had 29 seasons unbroken service. I still feel extremely bitter that after 25 seasons how I and my colleagues were treated and have never set foot in the ground since. I definately miss the supporters, many of whom became good friends.

I would go back in a heartbeat as a senior steward because I worked damned hard to gain supervisor status and Im not starting at the bottom again. As I miss the job, the place and mainly the fantastic supporters. To cap it all I lost my two Goldbond rounds also.

Reading the forums I may have blinkered vision but things have appeared to have got worse. Am I right??
[Post edited 30 Sep 2023 14:14]

.....I remember a few stalwart stewards from way back.......did you command a radio?

Is the blond lass who wore a coat 10 times too big still around......(also figured in the Barnsley game with the "flower pot on head "singing)? She gave me a ticket for the Rushden and Diamonds playoff game, in the away stand! top lass.

You would surely be an ideal candidate for the Volunteer Army.....good experience, not necessarily as a steward, perhaps meet and greet jobby?

Get your name down.
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 17:56 - Oct 2 with 1414 viewsonedalefan

Two people brought pints from the bar into Pearl Street end. Took a steward a while to notice before asking them to take them back. Came back with same drinks in plastic cups, again took time to notice and were obviously told, can't drink on terraces.
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 09:29 - Oct 4 with 1145 viewsStatzdale

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 14:57 - Oct 2 by Yorkshire_Dale

.....I remember a few stalwart stewards from way back.......did you command a radio?

Is the blond lass who wore a coat 10 times too big still around......(also figured in the Barnsley game with the "flower pot on head "singing)? She gave me a ticket for the Rushden and Diamonds playoff game, in the away stand! top lass.

You would surely be an ideal candidate for the Volunteer Army.....good experience, not necessarily as a steward, perhaps meet and greet jobby?

Get your name down.

Must admit that appeals to me, how would I go about it? Might need a seat at times, my pins are not too good atm. I wouldnt mind being “on the coal face” as it were but need to be moving. Cannot do every game though
Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 23:18 - Oct 5 with 856 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Taurus and the Sandy/Wilbutts gate on 09:29 - Oct 4 by Statzdale

Must admit that appeals to me, how would I go about it? Might need a seat at times, my pins are not too good atm. I wouldnt mind being “on the coal face” as it were but need to be moving. Cannot do every game though

Stato.....the Volunteer Army meeting was tonight and 442 Dale says they are looking for Support Liaison Officers.......in latest post.

See the thread on Volunteer Army. You might just be what they want. I have trouble with knees too, it's a shame we have to grow old aint it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024