Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road renovation/revamp 13:14 - Sep 20 with 58236 viewsQPRConor2000

Given the news we heard this week from Ruben that LR is now more likely to be redeveloped over a new stadium, I wanted to open up a specific thread for it.

Any ideas on how we can improve LR.

NOTE: Serious ideas only.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 07:34 - Sep 26 with 3933 viewsRs_Holy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:32 - Sep 25 by BostonR

You’re still not paying attention. The Board are not looking to sell because no-one is buying. I doubt very much that a quick ROI is their main priority. They are bankrolling the club and have done since they arrived and have confirmed they intend to hang around.
Their wealth is so significant (in the Billions) that I doubt a ROI is their main driver. They have committed to resolving the ground issue by staying at and redeveloping LR. It’s anyone’s guess what that design and cost will be but that’s the commitment that has been made. Interesting times.

this! ... Why are peeps still going on about alternative sites? Ruben has told everyone his plans now (in 2 separate interviews).... Having looked at several options (and done the maths) he now wants to redevelop Loftus Road ('stand by stand').
The club have tried to find an alternative site in the borough, the council have made it obvious they are not interested. The club have enquired about redeveloping Loftus Road, the council have been very responsive... That is it in a nutshell.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2023 7:37]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:25 - Sep 26 with 3758 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:00 - Sep 25 by hubble

Where did you hear this?

It was in the latest 'Latymerian' I've chucked it but I don't think future plans for WL were mentioned. (though they might have been I can't remember the whole piece)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:57 - Sep 26 with 3581 viewshubble

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:25 - Sep 26 by Metallica_Hoop

It was in the latest 'Latymerian' I've chucked it but I don't think future plans for WL were mentioned. (though they might have been I can't remember the whole piece)

Ah, I didn't notice that, I think I just skimmed it before chucking it in the recycling bin! So you're another old Latymerian then. Seems there are quite a few of us on here.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:20 - Sep 26 with 3550 viewssexton

'For several years we have been considering how we might best increase our off-site sporting facilities to complement our grounds at Wood Lane.

The school has purchased the lease for the University of Westminster grounds in Chiswick.

Nothing about moving out of or selling Wood Lane.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:29 - Sep 26 with 3511 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:20 - Sep 26 by sexton

'For several years we have been considering how we might best increase our off-site sporting facilities to complement our grounds at Wood Lane.

The school has purchased the lease for the University of Westminster grounds in Chiswick.

Nothing about moving out of or selling Wood Lane.

I must have misread it.

I was sure it said looking to leave to reduce the carbon footprint. Maybe it meant by using different venues some closer.

I'll pay more attention next time. I did think it was a bit out of the blue.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:28 - Sep 26 with 3358 viewsNW5Hoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:51 - Sep 25 by CamberleyR

The playing fields belong to the school rather than the council don't they?

Doh. Yes. My mistake.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:18 - Sep 27 with 3040 viewsNorthernr

Couple of interesting developments.

The council have announced £250,000 of public money to redevelop the LCS. Obviously could have had a brand new athletics stadium, changing facilities, cafe etc on us as part of our development but have gone for a new track and some floodlights on the public purse instead.

Also, this. The White City Regeneration Area is now on the council website. It pointedly includes our stadium, and a mention of us in the intro.

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/planning/regeneration-transforming-our-borough/white-cit

The White City Regeneration Area sits within Hammersmith and Fulham and covers 110 hectares, including Shepherds Bush Town Centre, the BBC and Queens Park Rangers Football Club.

In terms of new development, we are focused on sites to the east of Wood Lane and north of the existing Westfield London shopping centre, but including BBC Television Centre.

We want to attract new homes and jobs, with a focus on creative industries and innovation in bio-medical research.

We’d like to create new areas of open space, improved facilities for local people and better pedestrian and cycling connections in light of the area’s physical barriers and create a mixed and balanced community.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:44 - Sep 27 with 2952 viewsStainrod

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:18 - Sep 27 by Northernr

The council have announced £250,000 of public money to redevelop the LCS. Obviously could have had a brand new athletics stadium, changing facilities, cafe etc on us as part of our development but have gone for a new track and some floodlights on the public purse instead.

Also, this. The White City Regeneration Area is now on the council website. It pointedly includes our stadium, and a mention of us in the intro.

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/planning/regeneration-transforming-our-borough/white-cit

The White City Regeneration Area sits within Hammersmith and Fulham and covers 110 hectares, including Shepherds Bush Town Centre, the BBC and Queens Park Rangers Football Club.

In terms of new development, we are focused on sites to the east of Wood Lane and north of the existing Westfield London shopping centre, but including BBC Television Centre.

We want to attract new homes and jobs, with a focus on creative industries and innovation in bio-medical research.

We’d like to create new areas of open space, improved facilities for local people and better pedestrian and cycling connections in light of the area’s physical barriers and create a mixed and balanced community.

Doesn't sound as if QPR sits too high in their priorities, or that QPR has made any progress (if it has even tried) to do anything dramatic beyond our existing footprint.

Much as I share the enthusiasm of fans for digging up, down, sideways and all around, I strongly suspect the plan alluded to at the fans forum is much more modest and will most likely entail the transformation of the office space into a restaurant and a couple of bars, with the admin moving to the training ground. A sensible move in itself but not transformative.
Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:54 - Sep 27 with 2857 viewsHayesender

I did a tour of Wrigley fields stadium in Chicago yesterday. Maybe we could put some seats on the roofs of surrounding flats and houses?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:55 - Sep 27 with 2840 viewsNewBee

Re the £250k grant towards the Athletic track at the LCS, it's replacing a track which is 18 years old i.e. well past its sell-by date.

Meaning that if the new one lasts even half as long, you're talking a total of £28k per year - hardly a huge sum in the context eg of LBH&F's 2023/24 budget of £132.4m.

And this is towards a community facility, utilised by amateur members of TVH, plus schools etc, and who are basically amateur/volunteer-led.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:59 - Sep 27 with 2826 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm encouraged that the Council have included us in the Local Plan and in the Regeneration Area. The map shows that they've gone out of their way to include us.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:02 - Sep 27 with 2797 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:54 - Sep 27 by Hayesender

I did a tour of Wrigley fields stadium in Chicago yesterday. Maybe we could put some seats on the roofs of surrounding flats and houses?

We could, but there's no way they'll see our game from Chicago?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:02 - Sep 27 with 2791 viewsNorthernr

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:55 - Sep 27 by NewBee

Re the £250k grant towards the Athletic track at the LCS, it's replacing a track which is 18 years old i.e. well past its sell-by date.

Meaning that if the new one lasts even half as long, you're talking a total of £28k per year - hardly a huge sum in the context eg of LBH&F's 2023/24 budget of £132.4m.

And this is towards a community facility, utilised by amateur members of TVH, plus schools etc, and who are basically amateur/volunteer-led.

Well at the risk of repeating myself, our plans for LCS included a brand new athletics track and stand adjacent to the ground, with all the new changing facilities, cafe etc it needs, and we were going to pay for that. So whether it's 250k, 28k, or 28p, the point stands that it's money they didn't need to spend.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:11 - Sep 27 with 2726 viewsGloucs_R

Is there room next to the westway for a new stadium?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:15 - Sep 27 with 2717 viewsjimf

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:26 - Sep 25 by NW5Hoop

Loftus Road isn't going to be hosting concerts without a massive rebuild – loading in is virtually impossible. You need *a lot* of access to get a modern stage set up into an arena or stadium. It's one reason why bands play Twickenham – which is the worst equipped and hardest to leave major stadium I've ever been to: they let trucks drive on to the pitch for load-in (band managements know it's a hellhole for fans; but the ease of production building outweighs that). Not even Wembley does that. At QPR they wouldn't even be able to get the trucks within 200 yards of the ground. Sorry.

Bzzz challenge.

I've worked on both Twickenham and Wembley. Both stadia let you on the pitch for production. Can prove it with photos or you can just take my word.

LR could in theory do this. The last block of safe standing is removable for pitch renovations. It would be tight but from memory you can just about get an HGV through.

Watch at 33secs of the pitch renovation video
And 3mins 15 secs in. That's some pretty big kit on the pitch.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:18 - Sep 27 with 2682 viewsMedwayR

From the 2018 Local Plan:

"If either the Loftus Road Stadium or Territorial Army (TA) Centre come forward for redevelopment, the council will seek residential led development. In relation to the Loftus Road site, in particular, there should be re-provision of community facilities and open space in the borough, in accordance with the other policies in the Local Plan."

"The Queens Park Rangers (QPR) football ground at Loftus Road is a cramped site with limited opportunity for expansion, and the Club’s ambitions should be considered in planning of this area over the next 20 years. The football stadium is a valued community asset for the White City community and the pitch is designated as open space. Therefore any redevelopment of this site would need to re-provide a sport/community/leisure facility that could achieve substantial benefits for the community as well as open space, on-site or within the borough, in accordance with the other policies within the Local Plan."

I suspect Loftus Road was included as they anticipated we might be on the move.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2023 16:25]

Poll: Who’s better?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:16 - Sep 27 with 2523 viewsBostonR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:02 - Sep 27 by Northernr

Well at the risk of repeating myself, our plans for LCS included a brand new athletics track and stand adjacent to the ground, with all the new changing facilities, cafe etc it needs, and we were going to pay for that. So whether it's 250k, 28k, or 28p, the point stands that it's money they didn't need to spend.

Clive-the mystery deepens.
£250K won’t touch a renovation of this scale. I know the site reasonably well and given the proposal from the Council I would estimate a figure close to £1.5M to tear up the existing track and relay. I’m sure there is a QS on this forum who might chip in.
Something about the LCS doesn’t add up.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:20 - Sep 27 with 2495 viewsNorthernr

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:16 - Sep 27 by BostonR

Clive-the mystery deepens.
£250K won’t touch a renovation of this scale. I know the site reasonably well and given the proposal from the Council I would estimate a figure close to £1.5M to tear up the existing track and relay. I’m sure there is a QS on this forum who might chip in.
Something about the LCS doesn’t add up.

I mean the place looks absolutely derelict to me. That big concrete wall behind one end could go in the next stiff wind.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:30 - Sep 27 with 2448 viewsMatch82

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:02 - Sep 27 by BrianMcCarthy

We could, but there's no way they'll see our game from Chicago?

That's ok, the Cubs built a bunch of deliberately over sized signs specifically positioned to block the view from those rooftops so you can't see the Cubs games from them either!
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:38 - Sep 27 with 2407 viewsG_Ottershaw

so if they did want to make alterations to the stadium, how long does a planning application take ? the last application seems to have been jun 2014 for the players entrance.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:48 - Sep 27 with 2383 viewsBostonR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:20 - Sep 27 by Northernr

I mean the place looks absolutely derelict to me. That big concrete wall behind one end could go in the next stiff wind.

The only thing you could do with it is demolish it - not throw £250K at it. It’s a bottomless pit as it stands. The plot thickens!
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:52 - Sep 27 with 2356 viewsLanhoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:48 - Sep 27 by BostonR

The only thing you could do with it is demolish it - not throw £250K at it. It’s a bottomless pit as it stands. The plot thickens!

Agreed. From what I can see, £250k wouldn't even cover the demolishing and removal of the waste.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:10 - Sep 27 with 2291 viewsNewBee

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:02 - Sep 27 by Northernr

Except that for whatever reasons, your plans weren't acceptable to LBH&F.

In which case the council had only two choices, either see the track become progressively unusable, or spend a bit of money to renovate.

In other words, the need to spend £250k to provide for the next decade or so, was hardly enough to outweigh all their other objections to QPR's plans. Which will surely have been taken into consideration at the time.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:17 - Sep 27 with 2257 viewsNewBee

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:48 - Sep 27 by BostonR

If they have plans to demolish the LCS and replace it with God-knows-what, you can be pretty sure it won't happen any time soon - 10 years? I mean, look at how long they've been talking about various schemes already.

And consider the mammoth sums we'll be talking about if/when the site ever should get redeveloped.

In which context, the spending of £250k as an interim measure, to at least keep the present facility functioning, is justifiable, I'd say.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:36 - Sep 27 with 2202 viewsNorthernr

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:10 - Sep 27 by NewBee

Except that for whatever reasons, your plans weren't acceptable to LBH&F.

In which case the council had only two choices, either see the track become progressively unusable, or spend a bit of money to renovate.

In other words, the need to spend £250k to provide for the next decade or so, was hardly enough to outweigh all their other objections to QPR's plans. Which will surely have been taken into consideration at the time.

The whole thing is a sad indictment on everybody involved.

There was an amazing opportunity there.

1 - Fore QPR to get a new stadium it desperately needs in the local area.

2 - For the Scrubs and the Scrubs group to get investment into the facility - changing rooms, a cafe, whatever they wanted really, get together and put together a dream shopping list and let's do it together. They won't be getting that now for this poxy £250k.

3 - for the council to get rid of a decaying facility and drain on its resources it cannot afford, and replace it with a brand new athletics venue completely without cost, which we would pay for.

For our part, QPR seemed to expect that as The Local Football Club they should just be handed a piece of public land, in a hugely valuable area, for nothing in return for said athletics stadium. Never going to happen, and nor should it happen either. They sent in intermediaries to do their bidding rather than doing it themselves and generally put the council's back up. Exactly the same as they did at OOC, shouting their mouth off and revealing plans too soon, pissing off Car Giant and others.

For the council's part, they were right to be pissd off by that, but they were not right to be chucking out unprofessional, aggressive statements constantly referring to our "foreign owners" (great look for a supposedly progressive Labour party, what does it matter where they're from?) in every release and accusing them of basically being Far Eastern property speculators looking to make a quick grab at the south side of SAR and dump the club in a nearby park. Like I say the development of LCS and opening up Loftus Road and that side of the road for public housing could have been a huge opportunity for both if they'd all got around the table and planned it that way, but they seemed to take against it and us from the start.

The Friends of Wormwood Scrubs also seemed to just go "anything but QPR" from the very beginning. Right down to meeting minutes referring to "thousands of football fans traipsing across the Scrubs every week" while at the same time "working closely with Secret Cinema to support the development of their assessments" for the Scrubs being taken over and sealed off to the public for big swathes of the summer so they can charge people hundreds of pounds a time for one of their fcking daft cosplay jamborees. Love to know how many people living in the immediate vicinity of the Scrubs can afford a ticket to one of those while their local greenspace is fenced off.

All in all it's a colossal failure, and for the council to be trumpeting a piffly little amount like this which as said above will barely touch the sides on what is a totally derelict facility is pathetic.

This post has been edited by an administrator
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024