Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS 22:13 - Sep 29 with 2451 viewsdurham_exile

Before we focus on tomorrow’s game against the Magpies, there are a few things to consider from last Saturday at Crewe.

As sadly is often the case, it was an excellent day only spoiled by the result at Gresty Road!
A bright and sunny day, the train was spot on time from Penrith and I arrived in plenty of time at Crewe.

As seasoned travellers know (Wessex) the station is only five minutes from the ground and I walked into the club shop. No programmes anymore but they produce a monthly guide which devotes two pages to the opposition and so I purchased a copy. Before leaving the shop I got talking to two of the Crewe staff and whilst we were conversing along came the Crewe goalkeeping coach Fred Barber (who played for the U’s many years ago and he told me that he conceded seven goals at Gresty Road whilst playing for the U’s, fortunately I wasn’t there for that humiliation).

Anyway, Fred proceeded to take me into the club offices and along the corridor and into the U’s changing room (where the shirts were all hanging nearly waiting for the team to arrive).
We then went into the Crewe changing room and the players were starting to arrive. There was just time for a walk on the pitch before he introduced me to the tea lady Joyce who kindly made me a cuppa and I sat chatting to the backroom staff. It was very kind of Fred who didn’t have to take the time and trouble. I saw it as a sign and was even more confident of a U’s win.

As I walked out of the side door to walk around to the Away entrance the U’s coach had just arrived and I wished BG and the team all the best for the game.

The weather was warm and very pleasant and so I waited for the turnstiles to open with a number of the U’s supporters. The crowd was 4,070 including 239 of the faithful.

Once inside the ground (for the second time) I bought a pie and a tea. The pie was ok, decent pastry and meat and potato filling.

Wessex had travelled up on the train and it was good to see him in good form.

BG had lined up an unchanged team.

Goodman
Egbo Mitchell Hall
Fevrier McGeehan Read Kazeem
Chilvers
Taylor Tovide

Subs: Smith Greenidge Bandeira Hopper Mingi Thomas Ihionvien

Of course, we got off to the worst possible start. A long throw from Demetriou on 3 minutes which looked like a foul throw was not dealt with and Long had a tap in from 3 yards out.
Worse still the referee adjusted Kazeem’s challenge to be an illegal one and Long converted the penalty on 8 minutes.

However, having conceded two goals, the U’s looked to be the better team and we were confident that they could draw level before half time.

Mitchell once again looked strong and Jayden Fevrier was probably the U’s man of the match for his excellent right-wing play. Arthur Read ran the midfield and was always busy. Chilvers still to my mind doesn’t seem quite at the races but he did at least work hard for the team.

If only we could score before half time but the chances came and went. An extra four minutes was added on.

No changes at half time. Now at Gresty Road the Away fans are sat along the half way line and so there is no end as such for the supporters to sit behind. The Crewe support seemed nervous despite their two-goal lead.

I implored BG to take Kazeem off and bring Ihionvien on and play three up. Crewe seemed content to sit back and soak up pressure. In truth there were occasions when they couldn’t get the ball out of their half.

Tovide and Taylor tried to address the deficit but chances went begging. There was no shortage of opportunities but the finishing touch was simply not there. On 53 minutes Taylor drove an imperious cross from the right wing straight to his strike partner who made no mistake and it was 2-1.

Surely it was now simply a question of time before the goals came. But they didn’t, one of Taylor’s trademark drilled shots went wide, similarly Tovide and Read too.

Plenty of possession, territorial advantage and shots and corners but the equaliser would not come.

BG was slow to make his substitutions and it was not until the 74th minute that Mingi was brought on for the tiring McGeehan. Now the substitution that I wanted came on 83 minutes Kazeem off and Ihionvien on.

Now don’t get me wrong there was nothing wrong with Kazeem but we needed fresh legs up front and the only problem was that Bradley had little time to get into the game.

The ref only found 5 added minutes for the Crewe timewasting and a last-minute free kick in a promising position was crying out to be struck by Read or Taylor. In the end Chilvers shot tamely into the wall and that was it. The better team had lost but it is a too familiar sight at Gresty Road these days with three successive defeats now all of which we should have taken something from.

Yes there are players to come back and some to start Nico Lawrence, Kells, and Edwards will make a big difference to the team. But can BG play three up top.

Until then, Taylor, Tovide and Ihionvien would make an awesome forward line if he is brave enough.

Then four at the back Egbo, Mitchell, Hall and Kazeem, three in midfield, Fevrier, Read and Chilvers.

Perhaps too experimental.

When everyone is fit what about this:

Goodman
Kelleher Mitchell Hall
Lawrence Fevrier Read Kazeem
Tovide Taylor Edwards

Plenty on the bench too: Smith Bandeira Mingi Ihionvien Chilvers McGeehan Egbo

Anyway, enough speculation:

Tomorrow is all about a Notts County team rejuvenated since their 5-1 defeat on the opening day at Sutton. Luke Williams brings a team and plenty of support that has Macaulay Langstaff, David McGoldrick and the excellent Richard Brindley amongst them.

Weather will be partly sunny and 18 degrees Celsius little chance of rain.

I suspect an unchanged team, but BG make those subs quicker.

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Hall

Chilvers

Taylor Tovide

Subs: Smith Greenidge Bandeira Hopper Mingi Thomas Ihionvien

Now here’s the prediction. Regardless of their lofty position we are due a handsome victory and if we convert some of those chances I see no reason why we can’t win 4-1. A brace apiece for Smash n Grab.

There is no point in playing attractive football carving out chances but not taking them. Lets get at them from the outset and win.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 09:24 - Sep 30 with 1820 viewsWitham

With there having been heavy rain Armthorpe Crewe on the Friday I was surprised at how much water was put on the pitch. The end of the Crewe's supporters was very wet in the second half.
We played well (yet again) and I remain confident that we will get the wins we deserve. I see the shots per match rate has tripled since BG arrived and that has to be good for us supporters
Incidentally the Crewe website suggests away supporters park in an area full of double yellow lines and ignores the cheap car parking by the station.
Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 14:09 - Sep 30 with 1762 viewsdurham_exile

Unchanged lineup as predicted

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Hall

Chilvers

Tovide Taylor

Subs Smith Greenidge Bandeira Mingi Hopper Ihionvien Cooper

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 15:11 - Sep 30 with 1738 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 14:09 - Sep 30 by durham_exile

Unchanged lineup as predicted

Goodman

Egbo Mitchell Hall

Chilvers

Tovide Taylor

Subs Smith Greenidge Bandeira Mingi Hopper Ihionvien Cooper

Up the U's

Noah Chilvers he's one of our own.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 15:23 - Sep 30 with 1732 viewsgerry_us

So was Tchamadeu.
Bet he wishes he was still here for some game time.... .
Oooops 1-1
Come on U's
Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 15:40 - Sep 30 with 1717 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 15:23 - Sep 30 by gerry_us

So was Tchamadeu.
Oooops 1-1
Come on U's

3-1 to the U's now!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 15:40 - Sep 30 with 1717 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 15:23 - Sep 30 by gerry_us

So was Tchamadeu.
Oooops 1-1
Come on U's

Now 2-1 U's
Ignore that...
3-1 U's
What's going on?
Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 16:19 - Sep 30 with 1697 viewswessex_exile

Christ this is nervy, but 4-2 now thanks to Joe and McGeehan!

Up the U's

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 16:28 - Sep 30 with 1688 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 16:19 - Sep 30 by wessex_exile

Christ this is nervy, but 4-2 now thanks to Joe and McGeehan!

How's the nerves now then?
4-3 U's
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 16:35 - Sep 30 with 1682 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 16:28 - Sep 30 by gerry_us

How's the nerves now then?
4-3 U's

5-3 U's
And Freddie Sears scores for Daggers
[Post edited 30 Sep 2023 16:37]
Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 16:41 - Sep 30 with 1674 viewsburnsieespana

McGeehan red card now it is going to get even harder.
Co.e on Colchester
Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 16:48 - Sep 30 with 1670 viewsdurham_exile

This is what's it all about being a Colchester United supporter.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 16:50 - Sep 30 with 1667 viewsdurham_exile

10 men we only need 10 men.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 16:54 - Sep 30 with 1660 viewsdurham_exile

Come on do not throw it away now.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 16:55 - Sep 30 with 1659 viewsgerry_us

Ahhhhh!
Blow that bl@@dy whistle
Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 17:02 - Sep 30 with 1645 viewsdurham_exile

Outstanding.

Up the U's

11 added minutes

Durham_exile

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 17:03 - Sep 30 with 1645 viewsgerry_us

Easy Easy!

Haaaaaaaaaaaa
Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 17:03 - Sep 30 with 1645 viewswessex_exile

Magnificent game, magnificent performance, magnificent result. Credit to Notts County, easily the best team we've seen at the JobServe for a few years - but we were better!

Up the U's

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 17:13 - Sep 30 with 1630 viewsCrashBandicoot

What a result, our strikers now seem to be getting used to finding the net now.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 17:18 - Sep 30 with 1621 viewsburnsieespana

Notts County Forum saying on another day our long range shots would go into the stands and we had the rub of the green Been longtime coming!
[Post edited 30 Sep 2023 17:41]
Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 17:21 - Sep 30 with 1618 viewsWitham

The most disappointing thing is the red card will disrupt a settled side. Good to see the shots go in today. Hard working squad getting just deserts for once.
Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 18:05 - Sep 30 with 1576 viewswessex_exile

Great celebrations from Ben at the end!

Up the U's

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 18:27 - Sep 30 with 1551 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 17:21 - Sep 30 by Witham

The most disappointing thing is the red card will disrupt a settled side. Good to see the shots go in today. Hard working squad getting just deserts for once.

Mingi will replace him. It's only one game though Witham.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 19:01 - Sep 30 with 1535 viewsnoah4x4

Think Tovide and Egbo might also be suspended for a fifth yellow?
Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 19:25 - Sep 30 with 1506 viewsbwildered

Coats for goal posts Ron.
Read finally found some shooting boots to put on, deservedly got MOM, but Egbo had a great game at the back.
Top quality entertainment from both sides, shame there has to be a loser !!

Great credit to see the result home with 15 mins and ten men.
Result to start us going onwards and upwards .
[Post edited 30 Sep 2023 19:34]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to upset league leaders at the JCS on 10:11 - Oct 1 with 1367 viewsDaniel

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024